PDA

View Full Version : Today is the last day of the Memphis Battle Bunker

TEMPLARDAWG
22-03-2009, 15:27
The memphis Battle bunker is closing today. This sux for me that is the only place me and my son have to play. We drive an hour from Batesville MS to get there and there are no local game clubs around here. If anyone knows of a club around Memphis or Oxford MS let me know.

<><

Azriel45
22-03-2009, 20:28
It's a shame they're closing the Bunker.
I'm in Starkville and have friends in Memphis. We have a small group of wargamer's here but i usually head to Jackson for my wargaming needs.

DinoDoc
22-03-2009, 20:39
Adeptus Memphis seems to have migrated to the Gamerz Depot in Olive Branch.

I feel your pain though. I wish there was a club in Oxford as well.

EVIL INC
22-03-2009, 21:39
It's a shame they're closing the Bunker.
I'm in Starkville and have friends in Memphis. We have a small group of wargamer's here but i usually head to Jackson for my wargaming needs.
Sorry, Couldnt help myself...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzhzCF77GDo
This is a goodplace to start looking. Over the time spent there, have you ever hooked up with other players or at least exchanged numbers? Heck, if all else fails, you can host games for otherplayers and they can return the favor.

Azriel45
22-03-2009, 23:25
Sorry, Couldnt help myself...

Light, I really set myself up for that one. Nicely played sir.

Grindar
23-03-2009, 03:14
I live in Senatobia, when I get my army together I'll definitely be up for a game!

Starchild
23-03-2009, 04:12
This doesn't make any sense. OK, let me get this straight... GW can't afford to pay a bunch of college students to run a little shop attached to the USA factory? Do they need the extra space to produce more Stompas and Baneblades? :wtf:

GW must really hate Tennessee. First they close down the GW store at Opry Mills, and now this. :mad:

chrismp_123
23-03-2009, 08:02
This doesn't make any sense. OK, let me get this straight... GW can't afford to pay a bunch of college students to run a little shop attached to the USA factory? Do they need the extra space to produce more Stompas and Baneblades? :wtf:

GW must really hate Tennessee. First they close down the GW store at Opry Mills, and now this. :mad:

I agree with this. Complete BS. They talk about opening up stores and all but completely leave out the fact that they are shutting dow Battle Bunkers! :mad:

I miss the store at Opry Mills. It was really my first experience with an actual GW store.

Stormlord
23-03-2009, 14:40
WOW, all these mississippi gamers.

we have a group in Jackson, you can check us out at
http://gulfsouthgamers.com/forum/index.php

always looking for new players

Azriel45
23-03-2009, 15:20

well, it's no suprise really. They lost the ability to get Forgeworld in store a few months ago... the guy working there said it was because they where not making enough money.
That could've been due to the fact that the people working there didn't have the best attitudes.

sliganian
23-03-2009, 15:24

For what it is worth, the Battle Bunker in Oakville, Ontario, Canada (and the 'Canadian GW HQ') is closing down April 30th. So it isn't just your state that 'feels the hate'.

Actually, all of this makes a great deal of sense business-wise -- floor space costs money. But that sort of debate will derail the thread, so... carry on.

BigBadBull
23-03-2009, 17:57
H.A.A.W.G.S. in Bham and Huntsville AL ( Huntsville Al Area War Gaming Society) check there web sight.
There is a Store in T-town that has some gamers too.
There is a group out of AR that play in Memphis, and you do also have the Big Wagh
coming up in Memphis too in July.

RichBlake
23-03-2009, 20:57
Guys start your own clubs up. If there's enough of you then find somewhere with space that you can rent (community town hall or something) and bring your own scenery.

Or better yet, assuming you are old enough, start your own business. Contact GW and ask about being an independent retailer, rent an old shop and get everyone who used to go to the battlebunker to pay some money to be part of your new gaming club.

Sucks to here so many American and Canadian gamers will have trouble playing now, in the UK we're lucky as there is at least a GW store in every major city. I'm sure you all have the support from your fellow gamers in the UK!

Laser guided fanatic
23-03-2009, 21:01
In my county there are 3 battle bunkers, one is only 5 minutes away.

O and i do mean county not country.

cortejri
23-03-2009, 21:25

Hate Tenessee nothing... up North we got shafted, there isnt a store in MA anymore, youd think with Boston and the 60-70 Universities and colleges around there would be a market....

JLBeady
23-03-2009, 22:22
Wow! The Memphis people really did get screwed. According to GW there isn't a GW store, Indie, or Club within 100 miles of Memphis. To add insult to injury, just think of ordering from GW online and paying shipping for stuff that ships from Memphis.

Durath
23-03-2009, 23:35
This is just a symptom of the economic climate. The folks who ran this store and all the fixtures and tables are expendable overhead. If GW has slumping sales, they are going to trim the fat.

First and foremost they are a miniatures manufacturer. Secondly, they are a games developer. Being a retail store chain is well outside their scope of business.

Just be glad you don't live one state to the East. In NC, we haven't had a GW Outlet store for 3-4 years (maybe longer). We have to go to North Atlanta to shop at a GW store.

To me, it's actually not been a big deal really. We have a number of groups of folks who game at Independent Retailers, and the people drift from group to group. In fact some of the best times I've had in 40k had nothing to do with a GW Outlet store.

Templar Ben
24-03-2009, 19:28
In Olive Branch just over the line there is one called the Gamerz Depot. It is run by Mark (Memphis Mark on here) and JD. Great guys.

The game shop in T Town is the Crimson Castle (I think there is a law in Tuscaloosa that all stores have to have either Crimson or Bryant in their name) but when I popped in last week they said there hasn't been a 40K game since 5th edition. Everyone would rather play Warmachine and Hordes.

BTW, this is not 40K related so can we move it to Other GW where trolls like me will see it without searching. :)

Templar Ben
25-03-2009, 03:43
Thanks for the move.

Anyone know where the tables went?

venus_redscar
25-03-2009, 04:05
There is no store in Northern New Jersey. There are nonGW shops, but it would be nice to be able to visit a GW once or twice. They would probably say there are two stores in NYC I could go to, but that is such a hassle. I hear the Greenwich Village store is always empty anyway.

Madgear Thundaklutch
25-03-2009, 05:56
Just be glad you don't live one state to the East. In NC, we haven't had a GW Outlet store for 3-4 years (maybe longer). We have to go to North Atlanta to shop at a GW store.

isnt there a GW in concord?

Vic
25-03-2009, 14:35
The Greenwhich store is small. At least, if it didnt move from where it was 7 years ago, its a tiny store.

True story: When I was there, some of the staff were chatting in the back, and this GW nerdling came up to ask me if I needed help. Halfway through his spiel, he stops and stomps on this HUGE cockroach which sprays white goo all over. He smiles, asks me if I saw that, then picked up where he left off. My wife almost puked, I bought a SM scout with Heavy Bolter blister and split. Memorable visit that.

Durath
25-03-2009, 19:23
isnt there a GW in concord?

That's what I was referring to. There was one there... about 3-4 years ago. It's been shut down for awhile.

CaliforniaGamer
25-03-2009, 20:10
The memphis Battle bunker is closing today. This sux for me that is the only place me and my son have to play. We drive an hour from Batesville MS to get there and there are no local game clubs around here. If anyone knows of a club around Memphis or Oxford MS let me know.

<><

thats actually messed up. Wish people from GW would come here and read this.

What is America unless a dad and his son can enjoy a hobby together on Saturday afternoon?? Christ.

Laser guided fanatic
25-03-2009, 20:38

What is America unless a dad and his son can enjoy a hobby together on Saturday afternoon?? Christ.

A place where a dad and son can eat burgers together?

Templar Ben
25-03-2009, 20:51

What is America unless a dad and his son can enjoy a hobby together on Saturday afternoon?? Christ. to be fair though GW shouldn't be forced to keep open a failed store. There is another 5 miles south that can let the Dawgs out, if you will pardon the pun.

RevEv
25-03-2009, 20:51
May I suggest, and I'm sorry if this appears obvious (and I'm not being condescending either), that you look to set up something nearer home.

I move around a great deal but, because both my wife and son play, we can play at home. Also, by asking around, we have managed to meet other gamers easily. Already on this thread there has been one additional player for a gaming group in your area.