PDA

View Full Version : Undead Brettonia - Help required

Darnok
22-03-2009, 15:51
First of all, I want to say that I have specific ideas on what I want in the army I'm looking for. But that doesn't mean I'm not open to other ideas, any input is appreciated.

I think about doing another undead army after finishing my zombie pirates in this years WHF Tale. However, I won't be able to do the theme I'm looking for with the Vampire book - which is "undead Brettonia". Yeah, done to death (pun intended), but still what I'd like to do.

Plastic knights crossed with grave guard, some units of zombified peasants, maybe a trebuchet, of course some fighty vampire, and at least a unit of Bloodknights.

And I want to use the Brettonia book for it. Problem is: I don't have it, and don't want to buy it for toying around with ideas. So I'm asking it here: is this feasible with the models I want to use? For example, would a unit of five grail knights (=Bloodknights) be "good" in an army consisting of peasants, two blocks of knights and additional stuff? What should that additional stuff be? Is there an entry in the Brettonia book which could count as zombie wolves, maybe peasants on horses?

My zombie pirates are done for conversion madness and fun, not for any form of "competetive" gaming. I'd like to have a second army which still has a strong viual theme, and I think I already have found that concept I like. I just want to know before starting it, wether said concept would provide me with an interesting to play army. I won't ever play in a tournament (at least I think so), but something a bit more tactical than my pirates would be great.

So any help from Brettonia players would be welcome, as is any comment about the whole idea itself. Thanks in advance.

Bretonnian Lord
22-03-2009, 17:30
Grail Knights would make good Blood Knights. Knights of the Realm could be good for Black Knights.

Peasants mixed with Zombie/Skeleton bits make excellent undead hordes. And Mounted Yeomen would be good for Dire Wolves.

The Bretonnian characters are all well suited for conversion into undead Vampires and/or Necromancers.

Check this website out for inspiration

http://www.mousillon.com/pictures.html

EmperorNorton
22-03-2009, 18:37
For example, would a unit of five grail knights (=Bloodknights) be "good" in an army consisting of peasants, two blocks of knights and additional stuff?
Yes.

What should that additional stuff be?
That's probably the hardest question here.
The Bret book doesn't have all that many options.
You could have undead Pegasi (now where did I get that idea?) and maybe a modified Trebuchet (using the old Skull Chucker model, perhaps).
And then there is the Grail Reliquae, which pretty much is just a dead guy being carried around anyway, so it fits.

Is there an entry in the Brettonia book which could count as zombie wolves, maybe peasants on horses?
The rules for Mounted Yeomen include bows, which would be a bit akward - what do those wolved shoot with? - but not impossible.

Darnok
22-03-2009, 18:59
Thanks so far, there are some good points made already.

Check this website out for inspiration

http://www.mousillon.com/pictures.html

Inspirational indeed. Even though that's the other way around from what I want to do. :D

You could have undead Pegasi (now where did I get that idea?)

Dunno. Somebody did that. Must have forgotten whom it was though. ;)

maybe a modified Trebuchet (using the old Skull Chucker model, perhaps).
And then there is the Grail Reliquae, which pretty much is just a dead guy being carried around anyway, so it fits.

Not so sure about the Skull Chucker/Catapult. Even though the Khemri model is beautiful, I do like the Trebuchet a lot.

The Grail Reliquae might be a nice hero though. Living knight... dead, carried around... undead, fighting again. Might work.

The rules for Mounted Yeomen include bows, which would be a bit akward - what do those wolved shoot with? - but not impossible.

Now that is a problem. But I think I could handle it with some house rules, using plain Dire Wolves from the VC list.

EmperorNorton
22-03-2009, 19:11
Not so sure about the Skull Chucker/Catapult. Even though the Khemri model is beautiful, I do like the Trebuchet a lot.

I didn't mean Khemri's Screaming Skull Catapult, but the old Skull Chucker (http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20309skelwm.htm).
It's a bit tiny compared to the Trebuchet, though.

I guess a Trebuchet could be properly undeadified, but that's probably a lot of work.

Darnok
22-03-2009, 19:16
I didn't mean Khemri's Screaming Skull Catapult, but the old Skull Chucker (http://www.solegends.com/citcat912/c20309skelwm.htm).

Ah, I see. It would be a nice model today, if it were just a bit bigger. Too small for my tastes.

Concerning the Trebuchet I'd most likely just zombify the crew. After all, it would be an undead brettonian army, why convert the model too much? And I like it the way it is...

Monsterzonk
22-03-2009, 21:08
Sounds good so far. I'd use the Trebuchet with Zombie crew. It's a great model.
You could use the Mounted Yeomen as Wolves and don't ever shoot with them. I know, you'd pay a few points for them, but that's alright for fluff reasons, IMO. ;)
How about the Green Knight as your Vampire Lord. He's ethereal, AFAIK, so he'd fit the bill nicely...

Dai-Mongar
22-03-2009, 22:20
You could always have skeleton riders on the wolves, give them the bows. Or maybe some form of undead centaur instead.
Also consider this for your catapult:
http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/catapult/latest/03209

ethsar46
23-03-2009, 00:51
Not a bad idea, If you want to go for a bit more theme, I'd also suggest you base the army around the mausillion theme aswell, as that part of bretonia is well known for its undead. (I play a Mausillion themed bret army myself).

Darnok
23-03-2009, 06:50
You could use the Mounted Yeomen as Wolves and don't ever shoot with them. I know, you'd pay a few points for them, but that's alright for fluff reasons, IMO. ;)
How about the Green Knight as your Vampire Lord. He's ethereal, AFAIK, so he'd fit the bill nicely...

I think both ideas are very good. I would have to figure out why an etheral knight commends Bloodknights, but I think I might find something, and if it is only a vampire with a spectral form or something.