PDA

View Full Version : Too Nerdy? GW playing environment.

Thoughtless
22-03-2009, 16:19
Something that I can't understand is why the level of 'nerdism' is so high at a GW store.

I love Warhammer, and consider myself kind of nerdy. However, I'm embarrassed to go into the local GW because the staff and players there act and like comic book guy off The Simpsons. I know we are playing with toy soldiers, but it is taken far beyond what I consider tolerable levels.

Does anyone else find that the 'lurkers' and staff at GW are a bit too keen? Why do they speak to me like a five year old?

Griefbringer
22-03-2009, 16:34
By definition, there is no such thing as being too nerdy.

Especially when you are writing to an Internet forum dedicated to discussions about gaming with toy soldiers in a fictional universe.

Cane
22-03-2009, 16:35
Where else can a group of nerds act like nerds without having to bear shame than at a comic book store playing with toy soldiers? If anything I commend people for being who they are and damning stupid societal constructs.

Its like those gay people who are openly gay and proud. Years of staying in the closet and feeling ashamed for simply being who they are leads to them developing more open attitudes.

Although I do agree that being an extreme in just about anything in life could get annoying to be around. Especially overzealous religious fanatics.

Thoughtless
22-03-2009, 17:02
Especially when you are writing to an Internet forum dedicated to discussions about gaming with toy soldiers in a fictional universe.

Where else would one write such a post?

It has been my experience in speaking with GW employees, that sound effects and exaggerated motions are used in abundance by them to make their point.

This makes it seem as if my questions or insight is belittled. Also using needless gestures and making silly noises prolongs responses when all I wanted was a straight answer!

These guys need to relax!;)

zedeyejoe
22-03-2009, 17:21
People are people. Some are cool, some are not. I will stick with those whose company I enjoy.

Loki73
22-03-2009, 17:29
I understand how you feel Thoughtless. Thats just the way it is. Just hang with the peeps you like.

Hashshashin
22-03-2009, 18:55
Also it must be noted that a lot of gamers are a bit socially retarded, probably one of the reasons gaming and role-playing are attractive...they're social within a framework of make-believe, which lends to one not being ashamed of their social weirdness.

I personally have always been able to move amoung different social groups easily, and although alot of people that meet me in the streets would have no idea of level of geekyness, I am not ashamed of it and can go and wax dorkdom with the best of them, while still maintaining an ULTRA-cool public persona ;)

Thoughtless I agree, that sometimes I go to the LFGS and am suprised by the geek levels in there(like yesterday on D&D national game day-WOW), but it's a game store what did you expect? Also if you don't hang around periodically they won't get confortable with you, and maybe their social awkwardness is based on your subtle judgment of them.

Always remember:
Like spiders, geeks are more afraid of you then you are of them.

cheers,
Hashi

Comrade Wraith
22-03-2009, 20:02
Mmmm.... why be embarassed at all. I'm trying not to put it too bluntly (hah!) but assuming you enjoy the hobby, then just go into the store, you don't have to worry about their "nerdyness" (I like to call it enthusiam personally....) rubbing off on you.

Unless you are out to impress somone, or are worried about what some people think of you.... but then, why would you sink to impress somone so shallow?

(This next part, is not directed at The OP or anyone specific but is a personal rant of mine :D)

"cool" is a strange concept.... essesntially I find it means not doing anything that has anything to do with imagination nor something you actually want to do for yourself.

We seem adept at inventing pointless little concepts in order to belittle others who see things differently. Is there anything really wrong with reading? Or wondering how the world works? Or painting plastic miniatures? None of these things cause any harm or inconvenience in general, and yet as a society we are more than ready to alienate these people and for what?

It seems today people wish to look at and examine other peoples lives so desperately; who's slept with who, Why is she going out with that geek? Why does he want to join for greenpeace? Why does She want to work in a library? ...... and I suspect it is so that they dont have to look at their own lives.

[/RANT]

Sonny Liston
22-03-2009, 20:14
I personally do not think people like this are geeks. Think of it this way. They are just really into their hobby. If people at a football match gain happiness and sadness on how their team performs. If they cheer with abandon when a goal is scored. If they spend lots of their money to follow their team, and buy newspapers and magazines to read about them. Are they seen as nerds? No, insociety because football is so popular it is seen as normal. You know the usual women complaint men and their sport.

Whereas a person who is interested in gaming does just the same thing. Instead of liking a game where 22 men chase an inanimate object around a field, they like a game where you simulate war with inanimate objects. These people are unfairly labelled as geeks.

Perhaps this is because the gaming community attracts more people with less self confidence or social skills. There is nothing wrong with this however and to be labelled a derogaory term such as geek is wrong in my opinion. If football was followed by geeks would it be geeky?

I will have to return to this later as I have completely lost the thread of my own arguement and no longer understand what I am trying to say. I don't know I changed my mind half way through and don't know what I mean anymore...

Lord Malorne
22-03-2009, 20:20
People are people. Some are cool, some are not. I will stick with those whose company I enjoy.

Zedeyejoe, truer words where never spoken.

Lexy
22-03-2009, 20:26
Its like those gay people who are openly gay and proud. Years of staying in the closet and feeling ashamed for simply being who they are leads to them developing more open attitudes.

LoL imagine boats full of warhammer players dancing to loud dance music (out of beat) in the Amsterdam canals.

Though I must say, that I see it as a game and some see warhammer as a way of life.

Levett
22-03-2009, 20:39
Warseer just got a level up! Level 5: Comparing Warhammer to being Homosexual.

lol :P

I personally live a rather normal life, some would regard as a "cool" life, I have a nice modern city apartment, and go out a lot, however, nearly 70% of my time spent alone in the apartment is given over to Warhammer... nearly everyone I know is aware of this, and none care at all, they just take the pee a bit now and then, but its rare.

Just be happy with who you are to be honest. Creating a thread about being a geek, or worrying about others being too geeky is just ignorance to the extreme.

scarletsquig
22-03-2009, 21:20
I don't mention it to anyone.. need to know basis and currently there aren't any non-wargamers I know who need to know.

Best approach, IMO.. why risk it?

Mordian Marauder
22-03-2009, 21:24
I'm the same as Squig. Need to know only, and not many need to know! :D

BigRob
22-03-2009, 21:45
The GW environment is a very nerdy place. I popped in today to get my wife some Assault Terminators (she asked for the ones with claws) and I had a chat with the staffer about a few of the new releases and the conversation was at no point, too nerdy.

What was too nerdy was the smell. The shop had about 10-12 young players in, all under 16 and a couple of older ones. The door was closed and the smell of unwashed nerd was nauseating. The "nerd" sterotypes are not just present in the conversation.

Netherghoul
22-03-2009, 22:40
next time bring a flamethrower to purge the nerds..er smell:p

W0lf
22-03-2009, 22:55
There are several gamers i know that are so 'weird' they make me cringe.

I won't label it as geeky as thats not what id call it. But yes as a rule of thumb, if you make sound effects, talk in a orky voice or seem overly-hyper ill probs avoid you.

That said for every weird OTT gamer there is a normal sensible person who simply enjoys the game.

I ignore/refuse labels such as geek however as its subjective; Not that long ago you were a geek if you sat at home playing computer games... now your uncool if you dont have a next gen console with online playability.

Case in point;

My friends at 6th form (school aged 17) thought it was really nerdy that i collected warhammer and a bit weird, (we all 'out-grew' the hobby at 14 but i went back at 16) however when they found out i was ranked 3rd best chaos player in the world for DoW they wanted to know all about it. Hell ill never forget my mates begging to watch me play important league games against the top players in the world.

Incase your reading this, yes i am a little obsessive other things i enjoy doing. Im not afraid to admit it though.

AmBlam
22-03-2009, 23:19
Isn't nerdy a word American pop-droids use to inflate thier ego? This division is not so prevelant in Britain imo.

By using it yourself you are giving in to thier mentality. This is one of those instances where I believe people help to create thier own realities.

chromedog
22-03-2009, 23:58
TOO nerdy. No.

There is either nerdy, or there is not.

Too nerdy is like 'little bit dead'.

Pick another store. I don't frequent my local GW for the reason that they are all r/tards who only play GW and will only accept the company line. For this reason, I will travel 175km south to go to a better store. Where they sell/play a variety of games, and the modellers/players are more concerned with how awesome a conversion looks than how it plays.

a squig
23-03-2009, 15:38
These "nerds" will allways exist, iam a part nerd and proud, the last few times people have run into the store and shouted "geeks".Seem to forget that our local store has a very high proportaion of rugby players and miltary people. The look on there face as they realise they have insulted a room of very large (strong) people then proceed to wet them-self. Then get chased down the street, by a few of the guys up for a laugh. :D

There a a few to obssed with it to the point of taking over there lives, but from what ive seen 80% are "normal" everyday people despite the stigma that GW has.

burtnernie
23-03-2009, 15:51
Have to say the only thing that vexes me really is that considering they get paid awfully, when sliced in half by a power sword wielding papa smurf the genetic dna of each staff member, particularly the managers is riddled with G and W chromasomes I am sure of it...

I know the guys at my local store, they know what I play and what armies I have, hell they come to my club, but when you walk in and they thrust the latest 50 boxed set into your hands then it kinda grates...

The great thing about GW is that we, as geeks, probe the net to find out whats coming out, so we go and get it when it does, hell we know before they most of the time, so they don't really need to employ packs of Gnobler Trappers to snaffle us as we walk past.

As for the nerdy comment, my missus loves that I am a "geek" (as she so affectionatly and lovingly calls me) cos I don't go out on the lash all the while, don't smoke, do drugs or bed hop, there's a lot to be said about the hobby and the "nerdy geeks" that make up it's core, but I tell you now... I have met some of my best mates through this hobby and I would not change a thing...

So if you see a guy wearing his favourite blue squad command t shirt, screaming "Neeeeeeeoooooowwwwwwwnnnn" as a Krak Rocket (Krak missiles always miss if you call em that ;)) smashes into the front of a dark eldar raider in your local GW it's probably me, so feel free to mop the drool from the edge of my mouth, pat me on the back and say "howdi" cos I enjoy it and that is all that matters....

P.s I'm 6'3" and 14 stone, I dare you to bully me for being a geek... ;)

Laser guided fanatic
23-03-2009, 17:25
Hmm if everyone here is in denial about being a nerd then where are all the nerds?

Bookwrak
23-03-2009, 17:50
Playing Warmachine. Let's get 'em!

Laser guided fanatic
23-03-2009, 18:01
Playing Warmachine. Let's get 'em!

Into the batmobile!

Grimtuff
23-03-2009, 18:21

Wow. It took 20 replies for a comment like that to surface. A new Warseer record!

Laser guided fanatic
23-03-2009, 18:25

That isn't really that tall tbh, and anyway most people sterotype nerds as the 'not fighting' type as it is 'illogical'

sliganian
23-03-2009, 18:30
"White & Nerdy"

They see me mowin'
My front lawn
I know they're all thinking
I'm so White N' nerdy

Think I'm just too white n' nerdy
Can't you see I'm white n' nerdy
Look at me I'm white n' nerdy!
I wanna roll with-
The gangsters
But so far they all think
I'm too white n' nerdy
I'm just too white n' nerdy
Really, really white n' nerdy

etc.

Fire Harte
23-03-2009, 18:48
I'd rather be a bit (ok a lot) geeky than being a fag at the back of the classroom who gets his satisfaction by throwing crayons my way.

The BO (bad odor) is the only problem. Although I've now resorted to carry a deoderant can to give to people if they stink a bit. It may be a bit insulting but hey somebody could be worse. But then again I do that everywhere so. . .

But yes, the rules of GW:

1) You do not talk to outsiders about Games Workshop.
2) You do not talk to outsiders about Games Workshop.
3) No smoking.

Radium
23-03-2009, 18:48
Hmm if everyone here is in denial about being a nerd then where are all the nerds?

Roleplaying in their parent's basements?

burtnernie
23-03-2009, 18:53
Wow. It took 20 replies for a comment like that to surface. A new Warseer record!

Well 6'3 might not be that big, but most idiots have short man syndrome, so tbh 6'3 is quite usefull :D

Temprus
23-03-2009, 19:04
Football/sports fans far exceed Geeks/Nerds/etc for sheer "geeki/nerdiness", only it is done on such a vast scale, it is considered "normal".

I think this demotivator explains it well:
http://demotivational.blogspot.com/2008/02/fantasy-football.html

Let us see what the groups have in common:

Both groups have a tendency to tell anyone in earshot all about their favorite game/team/event/recently purchased merchandise/etc.
Both might play "fantasy games" and keep up with the stats of their favorite characters: Fantasy Football vs. RPGs/Wargaming
Both hold conventions (what do you think seating in a stadium watching a game is?)
Both cos-play (have you seen some of the things people wear to sporting events and they have mascots and/or cheerleaders)
Both groups tend to collect meaningless baubles related to their game/hobby/etc.

On the "Nerd Funk" thing, I have never encountered it in a game/comic book store but I did a Game Stop the other day, I never would have guessed it to be there before, silly me.

burtnernie, being a mere 6 foot even can make one a "giant" depending on where they live. :D

Emperor's Grace
23-03-2009, 21:02
Slightly OffT but:

That isn't really that tall tbh

Compared to?

"According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average height for an adult male in the United States is 69.2 inches or 5 feet 9.2 inches."

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

US and UK are both around 5' 10".

The only place with an average height above 6 feet is the Dinaric Alps...

Anecdotally, I can also tell you that I (at 6' 4") used to tower over almost everyone that was in high school with me. College was better (they had a basketball team) but it was still rare for me to have to look up. (:

As for not fighting, my high school nickname was "Jolly Green". Being big doesn't necessarily make one violent. If anything, the nastiest fighters I knew were the small guys. Had more to prove, I guess?

Laser guided fanatic
23-03-2009, 21:07
Compared to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

Well most of my friends are around 6ft give or take a few inches. Also linking of wikipedia made me laugh in a way i have never laughed before.

Victory for agamaggan

sliganian
23-03-2009, 21:14
Slightly OffT but:

As for not fighting, my high school nickname was "Jolly Green". Being big doesn't necessarily make one violent. If anything, the nastiest fighters I knew were the small guys. Had more to prove, I guess?

It is called "Short Man Syndrome (SMS)". Best defense is to strech out your arms so their little arms cannot reach you with their swings. :D

Master Stark
23-03-2009, 22:45
Well, I think everyone here can (or should) confess to being a little bit out on the fringe, in terms of their interests. That makes us geeks (coz nerds are smart).

And even if you all insist you aren't (and I don't believe you) then you at least know of some of those stereotypical geeks. The skinny kid who never has many friends, is a bit awkward around people he doesn't know, never has any topics for discussion that aren't related to sci-fi or fantasy, and will sometimes be seen wearing a shirt with a picture of a dragon or a wolf howling at the moon on it.

But of course, not all geeks are like that. It just seems that the further you sink into geekdom, the harder you find it to associate with non-geeks, so the ultra-geeky are often found in groups, hanging out in safe havens (GW stores) because they just don't get other people, and other people just don't get them.

Khabuldashudeth
23-03-2009, 23:02

This is the Internet, we're all built like space marines on steroids and carry [literally] a harem of beautiful women with us everywhere we go. :D

Hellebore
24-03-2009, 00:25
People are people are people. Giving them labels is just making animal squawks and applying a meaning to them. If you join in on that then you're just blinkering yourself with stereotypes and social norms, which in turn simply makes you a smaller and much less useful human being..... man.

But then I KNOW my worth in this world. My ego is all the reassurance I need. The bleeting of social robots is as the raindrops of inadequacy against my roof of awesome.

Hellebore

Master Stark
24-03-2009, 00:35
People are people are people.

And people tend to exhibit distinct social behaviours which enable them to be loosely categorised into groups.

Aurellis
24-03-2009, 00:40
All I ask for when i go to my local GW is that the people there don't have bad BO and enjoy a good chat while playing games. I couldn't care less about what kind of person they are (cool, nerd, a chav... whatever) as long as I get on with them.

Akuma
24-03-2009, 00:44
"I couldn't care less about what kind of person they are (cool, nerd, a chav... whatever) as long as I get on with them."

And this is only possible if thay are not fixed on winning the game.

For me wargames are a way of having fun - one of many ways that I practice - so when I go down to my GW store and I start to see that my opponent changes colour and stuff I tend to pack my minis saying "well call from work - hard case sorry must go" you can call me no sport - but It realy looses all its shine when you see that the other side is there to prove something to himself ...

In my country people think about Wfb as of proper SPORT - can you belive that :/ ?

Aurellis
24-03-2009, 00:47
In my country people think about Wfb as of proper SPORT - can you belive that :/ ?

It does sound a bit mad but I wouldn't mind going to the WHFB Olympics as a member of Team GB :p

Hellebore
24-03-2009, 00:52
And people tend to exhibit distinct social behaviours which enable them to be loosely categorised into groups.

Which is only meaningful if you and society decide to apply meaning to them. Does it MATTER? A nerd is a person, just as a football fan is a person. That they are treated differently is entirely because you CHOOSE to treat them differently.

If humanity was composed entirely of scientists then categorising things would not be an issue, as it is done for clarity and ease of use in the scientific field. However humanity is not, so instead it is done to create social castes and justify social persecution and mockery.

Those 'groups' are there not as an objective form of measurement but as a subjective form of social division.

Hence, pointless and only of benefit to those who are declared to be part of the 'acceptable' social castes they themselves help create.

It's like a person with a red marble and a blue marble. He gives the blue marble to a nother person and then starts punching him. The second person says 'why are you hitting me?' and the first says 'because that's what you do to people with blue marbles.' The second person says 'but YOU gave me the blue marble!'

In human societies in general, the easiest way to figure out the usefulness of something is to follow the path of advantage. Who is most advantaged by social castes? In whose best interest are the kept? When you figure that out, you realise very quickly that this like all forms of control is just there as a means of segregating people and dividing them

That can be applied to wars, politics and economies. Who is better off at the end of the day? That tells you how useful their existence is (the more people better off the more useful it is) and also points in the direction of the people most likely to be continuing them. If it's in your best interest for something to be a certain way, you are going to do your damndest to make sure it IS that way.

Hence why war, capitalism and social segregation still exists in the world today.

Hellebore

Acolyte
24-03-2009, 00:55
I totally get where Thoughtless is coming from.

I will freely admit to being a geek. I play 40K, love tabletop RPGs, work at EBGames and a computer store, fixing computers and all that.

That said, 70% of the guys at the local GW embarrass me. They're just too damn dorky. There's socially awkward and then there's a whole seperate level.

There's the little kids who won't shut up, the teenage dorks who go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about some inane topic to the point where you'd almost rather stab yourself in the eardrums then listen to them, the 30-year-old social inepts who can't carry a conversation in a bucket and speak in grunts and monosyllables...and the fact that entirely too many of them smell like 3 days of **** and ball sweat.

Also, neckbeards.

I don't care what you guys get on about 'social norms' and all that crap. You may not care what people think of you, and that might be why nobody wants to talk to you, or stand downwind.

Hellebore
24-03-2009, 01:09
I don't care what you guys get on about 'social norms' and all that crap. You may not care what people think of you, and that might be why nobody wants to talk to you, or stand downwind.

Ah but you see, that's ok. You seem to think that by asserting the pointlessness of social castes as divisors it's some kind of cry for help or way for the nerds to get friends by default.

That is not the case. You are still responsible for your own actions and behaviour. Just because there won't be social prejudices against you doesn't mean people are suddenly going to love you.

It just removes an abstract, subjective and pointless barrier so that when you start threads about why dislike someone, it's actually because you dislike their personality, not their social standing.

There are people I can't stand and there are people I'm great friends with. That you might socially segregate my friends into the football fan group and the people I dislike into the nerd group has absolutely NO bearing on my like or dislike of them (as the reverse is also true).

People are people and should be judged on their own merits, not on the merits of a subjective list of stereotypes imposed by others.

Hellebore

Master Stark
24-03-2009, 01:18
That they are treated differently is entirely because you CHOOSE to treat them differently.

Of course. We all treat people differently. You treat your garbage man differently to your grandmother, don't you?

I ain't saying it's right or wrong. But folks are different, and they form into groups that exhibit different behaviour to the people in other groups.

What people choose to do about it is up to them.

Akuma
24-03-2009, 01:19
Which is only meaningful if you and society decide to apply meaning to them. Does it MATTER? A nerd is a person, just as a football fan is a person. That they are treated differently is entirely because you CHOOSE to treat them differently.

Society doesnt decide - it just does. There is no group of people that sits by round table and says - hay this guys will be called nerds. It just heppens - It stims from basic humans need to categorise everything in simple menagable pakets of self suficient info.

"You are still responsible for your own actions and behaviour."

Oh Man You realy do belive that :D ?

People are people and should be judged on their own merits, not on the merits of a subjective list of stereotypes imposed by others.

Only half true - as being categorised as cool kid is a merit in it self. Being called a nerd is a flaw. You can be that rare sort of person ( I'm not saying your not ) who goes out on chick hunt with the most nerdy and disguating friend because he is realy very valuable person - but If so you are in the minority here.

As I would love to chitchat about Sociological concepts ( beeing Psy/Soc Phd student ) If You realy think that You are free to choose and have absolute control over social factors it would be pointless to do so. The usage of totaly diffrent paradigma would lead to flame fast.

Cheers -

Btw - If someone wants to go to wfb olimpics thare is a tournament - team tournament called ETC - put it in google with word wfb and youll find it :)
My country usualy wins it ( althought I dont find it something to be proud of ... )

Hellebore
24-03-2009, 01:30
Well I know we don't have control over our actions in the sense of 'free will' as proven by Ramachandran and others, but by changing the imputs you can produce a different automated response that bypasses those social segregations.

An individual isn't going to have absolute control over social factors, that's just stupid. However if enough people decided to ignore them, it would change the social dynamic. You as an individual won't make a macroscale change, but by not subjecting those you meet to social stigma and looking at them from a more objective perspective you change the microscale around you.

Just saying, it's always going to be that way and there's nothing you can do about it seems fairly meaningless. Human behaviour is pretty plastic, it can be changed.

Hellebore

Akuma
24-03-2009, 01:39
So we understand each other :D

"Human behaviour is pretty plastic, it can be changed."

Only if one have a means of influencing the desired population - If you think on a level of gaming community - sure - the whole system - no way. Simply other social groups - interested in keeping nerds a vice rather then a vritue or neutral standard wont allow it by appling countermesures.

BTW - Not so long time ago I dabled in suggestion - you should see people who could swear that thay heard a voice in the phone - and there was none ;)

Acolyte
24-03-2009, 01:40
Which is why most of the people that bug me eventually change-because they finally accept that looking like crap, talking like an infant, or not at all, and smelling like BO is a horrible way to get ahead in life.

Fun note: I've had 2 of the regulars at GW come apply at EBGames. Demographically, they're both pretty similar. Big gamer geeks, wargamers, RPGers, anime fans, all that. One can hold a conversation, knows how to talk to people and takes care of his appearance. The other looks like crap and can't deal with people. The latter was actually more qualified, technically speaking, but his resume went into the 'Hell No' folder, the other was interviewed and would have been hired if his availability didn't suck.

Shiodome
24-03-2009, 01:43
Who you trying to impress Hellebore :p reminds me of my local GW though. Always a small group making points in an overly verbose long-winded manner (with random name/fact dropping sprinkled liberally) trying to out-waffle each other. Generally a *rolls eyes* moment, much more inclined to 'debate' with someone more interested in making a point than making an impression.

Hellebore
24-03-2009, 01:49
Who you trying to impress Hellebore :p reminds me of my local GW though. Always a small group making points in an overly verbose long-winded manner (with random name/fact dropping sprinkled liberally) trying to out-waffle each other. Generally a *rolls eyes* moment, much more inclined to 'debate' with someone more interested in making a point than making an impression.

If you'd read what I said, you'd know I wasn't trying to impress anyone.

Your stance on debate is just another social construct to avoid serious discussion about things. Generally people in science that are like that stop being in science very quickly.

Name dropping is only useless if it adds nothing to the discussion. If you want to back up a statement with evidence and it is a very obscure thing, then using the name of the person that has produced said evidence can lend credence to an arugment others would find hard to believe (the idea of a lack of free will is something that MANY people do not want to coutenance, so by giving the name of the scientist(s) that worked on the experiments that prove it you allow others to go and research it).

Making a point is based around evidence and logic, making an impression is based around ******** and superficiality.

I know which I'd rather be involved in.

Hellebore

Luthor
24-03-2009, 02:47

I totally agree, I used to be in the "in-crowd" but from experience they were some of dullest people I've ever met.

Felwether
24-03-2009, 03:40

MIAOW! The claws are out... :rolleyes:

Acolyte
24-03-2009, 03:53
Rawr. I'm just sick of people using that old rag as an excuse for being a lazy slob. Maybe I'm just jaded and bitter from spending almost my entire working life and about a third of my public hobby time (Fortunately, Jeepers and paintballers aren't quite as bad there, although they definitely have their downsides too) around people who can't be arsed to look and act like decent human beings.

jstalker
24-03-2009, 05:08
I hate social groupings, scrubs teaches a good lesson, be yourself :P
Saying that however,

Im 20,
Play rugby & badminton,
Drink far to much,
Work 20hours a week too,
Occasionaly Rp with mates back at home,
Play 40k once a week or so,
Love watching rugby,
Can use computers, love technology,
DJ drum&bass at houseparties and occasionaly work at students union as a Dj
Play in a band,

I spose a part fits in with the nerd/geek stereotypes but the others wont,
You can judge someone and call them something just cos they play a game, although, saying that, some of the people you can meet in places can be a bit... OTT

Unforgiven666
24-03-2009, 13:07
Since I do not play...yet,
I usually go to the store, and if there is a game going on I ussually check it out.
Some of the guys make weird sounds or talk and talk and talk about rules and stuff.
I seriously dont mind it, infact I love it.
The atmosphere is great :)

Raellos
24-03-2009, 13:16
Also it must be noted that a lot of gamers are a bit socially retarded...

There are some people at my local club that are so completely and indescribably unfunny that I swear they are actually mentally disabled.

Duce
24-03-2009, 13:27
Rawr. I'm just sick of people using that old rag as an excuse for being a lazy slob. Maybe I'm just jaded and bitter from spending almost my entire working life and about a third of my public hobby time (Fortunately, Jeepers and paintballers aren't quite as bad there, although they definitely have their downsides too) around people who can't be arsed to look and act like decent human beings.

I agree with this to a degree. I wont judge people on their looks or tastes. but if they don't shower or at least smell unviolating to my nose or look like a dog dragged them down the street, then its only hurting their chances for me to actually talk to them.

First impressions of someone can change, but intentionally not washing and looking like a slob who doesnt take care of their appearane, your really shafting your chances.

I take the time to look trendy (As in the types of clothes i like) and small good, yes its my choice but its also showing i have self respect and dignity. Those who go unwashed and throw on crap are just showing their lack of self respect. I don't judge on their choice of fashion, but please make sure it looks like clothes and not random thrown together items to resemble trousers / tops etc.

That ruins me wanting to talk to them straight off the bat and i'm sorry if that sounds shallow, but i'm not going to sit and burn my nose and eyes even if the guys great once you get to know him. If hes washed and such then heck i have no problem.

everyone has the ability to wash and have some self respect... even you *points*

isaac
24-03-2009, 13:37
Define "Trendy" and "throwing on crap" Not everyone really cares/is knowledgeable about fashion and unless the person is wearing a cloak or some equally odd dress, it is not that nice to criticize them

Suicide Messiah
24-03-2009, 13:46
But then not washing doesnt go hand in hand with being a nerd does it. The vast majority of wargamers wash and as this thread shows strongly dislike people who dont. This is totally understandable as its a common courtesy just like being polite. If you cant show me some respect by not stinking then dont expect me to chat to you.

The only real difference between nerds and other groups is that nerds are embarassed about being nerds. I personally think the whole urban culture is ridiculous. Its all fake from the roots up, is bought into by people who cannot in any way relate to what rappers are saying and for some reason dancing kids or dressing up like a white bloke is pure hilarity. Its not. I dont think dancing like your have an epileptic fit is cool either but then what do i know im just a nerd.

ChrisMurray
24-03-2009, 14:03
Being a nerd\geek is getting cooler, as with the new(ish) saying of "geek-chic". Also programs such as the big bang theory help raise geek\nerd profiles. More celebs are also admiting to being geeks including Jessica alba (hot!) who is an out and out trekky.

Joewrightgm
24-03-2009, 14:06
I think its relative to everything else; you have those people that are the silent majority that are regular guys and girls that enjoy the game, painting, etc. but also have lives and do things other than the hobby.

Then there are the others that all they do is "live" the hobby.

Duce
24-03-2009, 14:34
Define "Trendy" and "throwing on crap" Not everyone really cares/is knowledgeable about fashion and unless the person is wearing a cloak or some equally odd dress, it is not that nice to criticize them

Well yeah as i said incase thats towards me, if its fashionable and trendy thats fine, but putting on a old stinky ripped up hoodie, some jeans which are clearly torn up and barely hanging on and a tshirt with stains is a nono. if its their chosen fashion / trend brands then thts fine, i'm not one to be picky on other people's likes.

I think as said it boils down to some don't wash and this is what gives people outside the hobby the usual view of gamers being smelly, especially as the ones in question prob walk around malls/shopping centres etc making weird loud noises or funny voice chats. the majority dont and just get branded in with them.

Llew
24-03-2009, 15:40
There are degrees of nerdity, and game shops can sometimes accumulate highly concentrated nerdity.

My friends and I are nerds and geeks to one extent or another. (We have an annual gaming weekend called "Nerdvana".) Some are moreso than others, but there are definite lines. Some are married and some never date. Some have good jobs and some don't. About half of my regular gaming group are musicians of one stripe or another. (And it took 8 years of knowing one guy strictly through music before we found out we were both gamers.) The point is, there is a wide variety of how nerdy people can be.

The guy who won't bathe and thinks that his 40k prowess translates to real battlefield experience -- yeah...he's too nerdy. You won't see me hanging out with him.

The guy who is socially awkward and makes dumb jokes, but is always having a good time playing? He'd be a friend.

Is there a quirky kid who plays and makes "pewpew" noises when his troops shoot their lazers? He's probably okay. Is he doing it still when he's 25? I probably won't hang much with him.

If they can't talk about anything other than gaming, can't catch occasional pop-culture references or aren't vaguely aware of current events or what sports season it is? Probably not a friend.

You can, in fact, be too nerdy. If you obsessively focus on any aspect of gaming, you'll be too nerdy. At the same time, that's not anymore offensive than the person who can only talk about his favorite sports team, or what Paris Hilton wore or any other thing. People with tightly focused interests are dull. People with breadth are interesting.

Personally, I'm going to avoid people who are too narrowly focused on anything.

x-esiv-4c
24-03-2009, 15:57
On the whole I haven't met too many people at the FLGS that I would consider too nerdy. However there is always one exception. Probably about 5'10" 250-260lbs in his mid thirties, balding. Ok perhaps just overweight? No, here come the stained black jeans and a shirt with a printed slogan "I'd rather be at home *insert word refering to playing with oneself*". Seconds after seeing him comes the foul maisma of body stench that can only be described as curdled milk poured over a corpse pile composed solely of crotches.

a squig
24-03-2009, 16:17
i love the fact that all "jocks" hate nerds especialy when it backfires. I play rugby as well as 40k one night down the rugby club celibrating a victory one of "Jock" fathers was slating his non sport obssed son with liking a geeky thing of 40k.

Turning to me he said what do you think of this silly geeky wimpy game, my response was its a great stragry game and i play regulay, do you mean iam a wimp, the look on his face priceless :).

That guys never openly voiced anything about "geeks" since that ive heard off,since and ive seen them come into my local store and play the odd game .

1-0 to the geeks

Templar Ben
24-03-2009, 16:19
Most are geeky at stores. There is a reason for that. At a game store they can be geeky. That is the only retail outlet where a 20 year old can yell "Wagghhh" and it is considered acceptable. It is a place where they know your name and don't care that you have no ability to carry on a conversation that doesn't involve a fantasy world or that you consider a spray of Rightguard to be the same as a shower.

Some of us look in that environment and shake our heads but then a GW store is not the place for us. I say let them be as disgusting as they want. You can buy what you need online.

CaliforniaGamer
24-03-2009, 16:40
I will freely admit that as a college student while other students got drunk, chased girls and generally partied hard, on weekends I religiously played D&D, DikuMUDs and read fantasy. I had a nerdy glasses-wearing sort of Goth girlfriend my freshman year and felt perfectly happy surrounded by fellow nerds who accepted nerdom so fully.... It was heaven IMO, absolute heaven.

SimonL
24-03-2009, 19:39
My Warhammer group is a bunch of hockey-playing, football watching, beer swilling 200+lb jocks...it's quite odd.

I feel almost as out of place as surrounded by the "By the dark enchantments of my Elf Queeeeeeeeen!!!" uber-nerds :D

Comrade Wraith
24-03-2009, 21:31
I feel almost as out of place as surrounded by the "By the dark enchantments of my Elf Queeeeeeeeen!!!" uber-nerds :D

Yes, but if my school years taught me anything, if you're friends with an elf queen you must be cool!

...... right?

Templar Ben
24-03-2009, 21:49
It could be worse. They could be D&D LARP nerds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI3cocbIsto

Pacific
24-03-2009, 23:33
That said, 70% of the guys at the local GW embarrass me. They're just too damn dorky. There's socially awkward and then there's a whole seperate level.

Also, neckbeards.

I totally agree with these two points. I think there are a lot of quite moderate gamers, and those who look into the window and are interested, but are put off the moment they see a bunch of funny-looking people stood at the back of the store screaming "Warrrrgghhh!" of mimicking blowing up someone with a railgun. There are a small percentage of people who can pull off something like that and not look like a complete fool, but they are in the minority!

yabbadabba
25-03-2009, 07:52
Personally I think that anyone who is an active member of an online forum where the colour of the underwear of an imaginary pseudo-god is ernestly discussed, is a nerd and a geek.
Even if they don't join in.

ehlijen
25-03-2009, 08:29
can't catch occasional pop-culture references

Hasn't it come to be that many if not most pop culture references are created or at least perpetuated by geeks?

PaddyF
25-03-2009, 08:49
I am a Unix Admin/Developer with a degree in Software Engineering. I think all you "geeks" can bow down now ;)

Laser guided fanatic
25-03-2009, 09:02
It could be worse. They could be D&D LARP nerds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI3cocbIsto

That's fake such a shame :(

tassiewargamer
25-03-2009, 09:13
Lol that video is awsome.

StormCrow
25-03-2009, 11:01
I'm not a nerd, I've got a GF who looks like the dark elf from the warhammer online trailer

-Genuine warseer quote

Yeah I'm going to have to join the general consensus that by virtue of signing up to warseer we are all nerds/geeks by default. It's just that some of us hide it better than others whilst some are in denial (see above).

I must admit though that there is a more potent strand of nerd lurking in hobby shops. Just today I witnessed a customer lecture a hobby store owner on the intellectual decay of museums before picking up the newest flames of war models to run home with, all the while I was choking on the mustard gas odour BO. Walking into your typical hobby shop is nothing short of a sensory violation.

Korras
25-03-2009, 11:25
I regularly work with people who think they are rock-stars. their ego's can be immense, regardless of how good they actually are.

so, except for the occasional exception (bad BO, for example), I'm quite happy to spend time with people who aren't so full of themselves. ;)

Verm1s
25-03-2009, 11:47
Shiodome FTW.

I wont judge people on their looks

...look like a dog dragged them down the street, then its only hurting their chances for me to actually talk to them.

...intentionally not washing and looking like a slob who doesnt take care of their appearane, your really shafting your chances.

I take the time to look trendy (As in the types of clothes i like) and small good, yes its my choice but its also showing i have self respect and dignity. Those who go unwashed and throw on crap are just showing their lack of self respect.

Um... yeah.

I'm not a nerd, I've got a GF who looks like the dark elf from the warhammer online trailer

-Genuine warseer quote

Very good. :D

Me? I'm a geek. A big one. Sometimes it can be a bit of a roadbump, but I have tremendous fun.

Fluxeor
25-03-2009, 13:14
I am a Unix Admin/Developer with a degree in Software Engineering. I think all you "geeks" can bow down now ;)

I own a 7 foot tall Space Marine Statue and it's standing right next to the PC I'm posting from, I bow to no-one :p

Master Stark
25-03-2009, 14:24
I own a 7 foot tall Space Marine Statue and it's standing right next to the PC I'm posting from, I bow to no-one :p

Pics or it never happend!

PaddyF
25-03-2009, 14:26
I think that is one in his avatar. Either way I once restored an SGI Onyx from parts I picked out of a skip at university because they used them to do the effects on Jurassic Park and T2 and planned if I didn't get it to work to turn it into a mini fridge instead... can't touch this.

Korras
25-03-2009, 14:28
I believe that this (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189793) is what he is referring to. ;)

Duce
25-03-2009, 17:32
Hey, theres a difference on judging someone on their looks (Eg certain style of jeans, or a hoodie, or shirt, or a top hat) and judging someone on the fact that their body smell and barely recognisable rags are meant to be clothes.

I don't know if its just me who thinks like that but i see different clothes styles as fine, but totally torn up years old clothes which smell as something different... one is just their chosen style which they like. the other is them showing they dont take care of how their seen, everyone has the ability to wear stuff which doe snot look like the dog had a go at it with its teeth then a truck drove over it, then someone dried themselves on it and then it got hit by a sewer truck carrying 56 different scents of urine and stool samples.

There is, in my view a difference on judging someone on their looks fashion wise, and judging someone on their looks in a i don't care about my smell and utter crap torn and stinking old rags attempt.

as i said, once it's shown that thy dont take a certain level of dressing ability for their self respect then its a different story to judge them as not caring.

Gareth Lorn
25-03-2009, 21:21
TOO nerdy. No.

There is either nerdy, or there is not.

Too nerdy is like 'little bit dead'.

Pick another store. I don't frequent my local GW for the reason that they are all r/tards who only play GW and will only accept the company line. For this reason, I will travel 175km south to go to a better store. Where they sell/play a variety of games, and the modellers/players are more concerned with how awesome a conversion looks than how it plays.

This, right here.

I consider myself a nerd because of the fact that I spend all mf my freetime doing things related to fictional universes set in space, and devote my Friday evenings to rolling dice in a game of epic proportions with plastic army men, and spend thousands of dollars on said army men. And I do all of this while screaming, "WAAAAGH!", "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!", "FOR THE EMPEROR!" and various quotes from Dawn of War.

I'm the kid in the shop with the Boba Fett T-shirt and spiffy digital watch, who is taking the game far too seriously, using over-the-top motions to get points across and is griping about how unrealistic the sculpts of the Space Marine Casualties blister are. I'm also the one that has assigned a name to every model in the army, and enjoys writing fiction about said models.

So yeah. I'm nerdy.

CasperTheGhost
25-03-2009, 21:42
I I take the time to look trendy (As in the types of clothes i like) and small good, yes its my choice but its also showing i have self respect and dignity.

You take your time to look small! Bloody hell that must be hard :p

Sorry couldn't resist.

I haven't come across that many really obsessed people in my varying visits to the local GW or gaming club. Most of them are just normal people who play the game because its fun. The view that they are nerdy is created by people who will do anything to adhere to Social Norms and so look 'cool' in order to gain a large amount of friends. GW is not a social norm really and so many people see gamers (like ourselves) as outsiders. Load of bull IMO,

Though there are a few people that go a bit too far. I have to agree with that.

Casper

Khornies & milk
25-03-2009, 22:02
Personally I think that anyone who is an active member of an online forum where the colour of the underwear of an imaginary pseudo-god is ernestly discussed, is a nerd and a geek.
Even if they don't join in.

I agree to a point...a small point. I don't agree that this alone defines a
nerd/geek. Out of my regular gaming group...
2 are ex-Bikies (I kid you not)
3 are Pro Rugby League players (2 retired, 1 current)
3 ex-Grunts (2 SAS, 1 Colonel)
1 Pollie
3+ Businessmen
several younger members

Of these I would only consider 4 of them to be nerdy/geeky. Some of them would rip your head off if anyone brave or stupid enough called them that, which is one of the reasons why most of them NEVER play at the local Battle Bunker or Indie. The other major reason is they don't want to get noticed publically which is fair enough, plus some would look out-of-place.

I have never noticed the 'smelly' element at any of the gaming stores I've being to...I don't think it's a tag us Aussies have:D

CaliforniaGamer
25-03-2009, 23:33
what are bikies and pollies? those sound like small sweet pastry treats.

Azhrarn
26-03-2009, 00:21

bikies = bikers I presume

pollies = police or politician? :confused:

Khornies & milk
26-03-2009, 00:21

hehe...made me laugh that did.
Bikies...outlaw motorbikers, so like your Hells Angels.
Pollies...Politicians.

souljaking09
26-03-2009, 00:26
Where else can a group of nerds act like nerds without having to bear shame than at a comic book store playing with toy soldiers? If anything I commend people for being who they are and damning stupid societal constructs.

Although I do agree that being an extreme in just about anything in life could get annoying to be around. Especially overzealous religious fanatics.

let's keep politics and religion out of this. you've already made yours very clear to everyone.

I have no problem with nerds. But I do have a problem with people who are flat out disgusting and weird. the kind that have long greasy hair and look like they have been stuck in their house painting for a month without food and water. the kind that walk up to you and start picking up your models without asking.

Deuce Blue
26-03-2009, 01:34
I totally agree with the OP. Far too often when I stop by a GW store, I am assailed by the local patrons who basically live at the store. They spend all of their free time there, and become used to just yelling random things at each other as if they own the store. Their conversations are usually over the top, and too often they feel the need to give me their point of views on GW related topics when I am shopping, or having a simple conversation with the manager.

While I understand the hobby centers should be about supporting the hobby, I feel many of these local patrons are in fact leaches, who rarely buy anything, instead they dream of the next big army they want, whenever they get the money. I have seen a lot of legitimate customers driven away from GW stores, because as soon as they walk in, they are assaulted with screaming teenagers wearing dirty clothes.

All in all I have no problem with people being 'nerdy'. I love all sorts of nerdy things, but I also know that you can be a nerd, as well as a normal person. The issue I have, is the fact that these local patrons feel they run the store, and are let loose to basically say or do what they want to other customers.

souljaking09
26-03-2009, 02:07
I totally agree with the OP. Far too often when I stop by a GW store, I am assailed by the local patrons who basically live at the store. They spend all of their free time there, and become used to just yelling random things at each other as if they own the store. Their conversations are usually over the top, and too often they feel the need to give me their point of views on GW related topics when I am shopping, or having a simple conversation with the manager.

While I understand the hobby centers should be about supporting the hobby, I feel many of these local patrons are in fact leaches, who rarely buy anything, instead they dream of the next big army they want, whenever they get the money. I have seen a lot of legitimate customers driven away from GW stores, because as soon as they walk in, they are assaulted with screaming teenagers wearing dirty clothes.

All in all I have no problem with people being 'nerdy'. I love all sorts of nerdy things, but I also know that you can be a nerd, as well as a normal person. The issue I have, is the fact that these local patrons feel they run the store, and are let loose to basically say or do what they want to other customers.

Your post made me laugh so hard because I have seen this and can picture it. Very good point that you can be normal and nerdy.

CaliforniaGamer
26-03-2009, 06:40

I was at a GW store where a frequent flyer customer actually removed his jeans and played in a tournament in his boxers. he was told multiple times to place his clothes back on and pretty much ignored the staff with no consequence. I guess he was the master warhammer gamer and when you reach this level you can pretty much do as you please. Very shocking tho.

Raellos
26-03-2009, 11:17
WTF? I mean, I would have called security. That's wrong.

Thud
26-03-2009, 11:36
The people who hang out at my local indie, especially on Saturdays, remind me of the junkies (I live directly between the free drug zone and the nearest grocery shop) in my neighbourhood. They both have dirty clothes, smell bad, talk random nonsense to you if you stray too close to one and they always have these projects going on, where there's something they have to get done but apparently it's a very complicated procedure and elaborate plans must be made.

Raellos
26-03-2009, 11:47
That's a great analogy. There's some people at the club that dress very strangely (almost like they are homeless) and smell very badly. Though the vast majority are well dressed, and smell nice, thankfully.

subjugator
26-03-2009, 22:13
I will freely admit that as a college student while other students got drunk, chased girls and generally partied hard, on weekends I religiously played D&D, DikuMUDs and read fantasy. I had a nerdy glasses-wearing sort of Goth girlfriend my freshman year and felt perfectly happy surrounded by fellow nerds who accepted nerdom so fully.... It was heaven IMO, absolute heaven.

If we are going to be honest, I would probably mock you behind your back and joke about your lifestyle. I'm also a first year student, joined a fraternity and regurly getting drunk is indeed part of my schedule. I will also admit that the only reason I will talk to a girl in a bar/club, is because she is hot and I desire sex with her (with varying degrees of succes of course).
I'm also obsessed with my looks (I've been called a dandy, metro before) and my whole rituall of showering, choosing clothing, shaving, styling hair, facial creme, etc, takes about an hour. For this reason I also often go to the gym.

This is also why I sometimes have such a hard time relating to geeks. I never understood how nerd=looking like ****. Why don't people shave those horrible beards, why don't they lose some damn weight and for the love of God get rid of those disgusting zits on your face.

Oh and Hellebore, not be rude but your ideas are kinda idealistic. People will always judge other people on their looks, friends and their first impressions. I'm guessing here, but you seem like the kind of guy who actually believes that the outside doesn't matter.

TeddyC
27-03-2009, 00:27
I enjoy the hobby, Im not embarrassed to walk into the store and buy what I need. Thats not to say I enjoy being spoke to like im a simpleton.... which sometimes happens.

I think staffers assume I dont look a typical wargamer and thus treat me like Im some casual player off the street not knowing much about the hobby.

Brother Enok
27-03-2009, 00:48
Im 6'5'', have read hair, weigh in at about 12st and when I can be bothered, wear glasses. To many people at work, Im the typical geek. This does not mean I am socially inept.
Yes, I play toy soldiers, and never call them anything but. The odd person has to have it exsplained that I use dice, and don't just "play" with them, but I can forgive them that assumption. At no point do I deny it if asked what my interests are, but I do not go around blathering on about it. Not everyone cares.
I also collect swords, which some people find geeky. I know how to use them too, some people say thats a redeeming factor, then I mention the lightsabre... I enjoy Karate, Judo and Muay Thai, and have never had to use anything of the sort to proove how much of a man I am. Im honestly not that insecure. I don't care what other people think of me, and I don't think im so important that the people around me have this massive opinion about me. I read alot, im known for being a book worm, and to add icing to the cake that is my geekdom, I work in IT.

So yes, I am a geek. And im proud of it. I am who I am. but Im known as a personable, friendly,
approachable geek...apprently.

Edit: Subjugator, im sure you a swell kinda fella, but that last post made you come across as an arrogant spanner. Although I can relate with your frustration about lack of personal hygene. To me that just indicates a lack of respect for oneself and other people.

Kaihlik
27-03-2009, 01:09
I enjoy the hobby, Im not embarrassed to walk into the store and buy what I need. Thats not to say I enjoy being spoke to like im a simpleton.... which sometimes happens.

I think staffers assume I dont look a typical wargamer and thus treat me like Im some casual player off the street not knowing much about the hobby.Its much safer for them to assume someone they dont know doesn't know much about the hobby and then find out later what they know than to just assume you know everything there is to know then launch into an indepth discussion about x. Remember alot of people will walk in from the street with no idea that the hobby even exists. Flip it around, how would you feel if you didn't know anything about the hobby and some guy came up to you asking you opinion about the upcoming Valkarie model, you would look at the guy funny make excuses and then leave.

I think people can give GW staff alot of flak for not knowing who they are when they walk through the door, once a staff member actually knows you they can start to have proper conversations about the hobby with you.

Kaihlik

souljaking09
27-03-2009, 01:13
Its much safer for them to assume someone they dont know doesn't know much about the hobby and then find out later what they know than to just assume you know everything there is to know then launch into an indepth discussion about x. Remember alot of people will walk in from the street with no idea that the hobby even exists. Flip it around, how would you feel if you didn't know anything about the hobby and some guy came up to you asking you opinion about the upcoming Valkarie model, you would look at the guy funny make excuses and then leave.

I think people can give GW staff alot of flak for not knowing who they are when they walk through the door, once a staff member actually knows you they can start to have proper conversations about the hobby with you.

Kaihlik

I have a funny story about that actually. one time I walked into a video games store(gamestop) and a really nerdy guy with snot dripping from his nose on the keyboard(literally) started talking to my dad about the latest yu-gi-oh episode. obviously my dad knew nothing about it. It was very funny and I still laugh about it to this day.

Spyral
27-03-2009, 03:02
I detatch myself. I've probably been playing it longer than most of them and have more experience of warhammer. That said if I want to chat them up to find out things i can do that too.

Duce
27-03-2009, 11:06
You take your time to look small! Bloody hell that must be hard :p

Sorry couldn't resist.

Casper

Damns you realising my typo :)

Netherghoul
27-03-2009, 12:22
hmm I (37) have hair as long that it reaches my butt, I have a beard which a dwarf would be proud off, I am covered in tattoos all over the place, I am the size of an Ogre, I listen to Death metal (mostly) and I collect "toy soldiers" & models.
yeah count me in as a geek/nerd as well.
I'd rather be that then being a mediocre sod with no character and/or passions.

Korras
27-03-2009, 13:01
hmm I (37) have hair as long that it reaches my butt, I have a beard which a dwarf would be proud off, I am covered in tattoos all over the place, I am the size of an Ogre, I listen to Death metal (mostly) and I collect "toy soldiers" & models.
yeah count me in as a geek/nerd as well.
I'd rather be that then being a mediocre sod with no character and/or passions.
as long as you don't smell like said ogre, you're forgiven. :p

Netherghoul
27-03-2009, 13:08
as long as you don't smell like said ogre, you're forgiven. :p

rofl! uh no, no worries about that:p

jedipenguin
27-03-2009, 16:13
This thread is full of delicious prejudice and denial, with the occasional dash of waffling pseudo-intellectualism and hypocrisy.

This pleases and amuses me.

theunwantedbeing
27-03-2009, 16:32
Geeky/Nerdy people need a geeky/nerdy environment to be in.
GW provides that and over time you see the geeky/nerdier people in the store being more socially adept...assuming there are any normal people there!

Of course, none of us on warseer are nerdy, we're all 7ft space marine clones who have no problems being around people and have the charisma of the emporer ^_^

Luthor
27-03-2009, 16:33
Best day of my life was when I saw a Gangster in GW, lol, this guy was pretty legit he had the saggy pants and the huge jacket + the white Basketball shoes. I guess anyone can enjoy the game, not just nerds.