PDA

View Full Version : Scout Bikes vs Marine Bikes?

Imperius
22-03-2009, 17:37
Which one would be more appropriate for a White Scars army? And also, is it within their fluff to use Rhinos or some-other?

- Thanks for your help.

Lord Damocles
22-03-2009, 17:50
Almost all codex chapters use Scout bikes (except Blood Angels and Dark Angels apparently - go figure :rolleyes:), so they're at least as fluffy as for everyone else.

White Scars have a greater number of bike mounted Marines than most other chapters though (making regular bikes extra fluffy), so might well be expected to have a greater proportion of their 10th company mounted.

The Index Astartes list from 3rd edition (and the mini varient list which White Scars had before that) specified that ALL units had to be mounted in a transport vehicle of some kind (randomly, the 4th edition trait system made this almost impossible - again, go figure). They shouldn't have any greater proportion of Rhinos to Marines than any other chapter though, since a standard codex chapter has a Rhino per squad (including Assault Squads).

...Anyway, rambling aside, both regular and Scout bikes are fluffy for White Scars (although probably with a greater proportion of regular bikes). Rhinos are also fluffy.

Imperius
22-03-2009, 18:30
So I can safely assume my army will be fluffy, but which units actually play better? Take into account points, armour, etc. Scout bikes Vs Marine bikes?

Lord Damocles
22-03-2009, 18:36
Oh sorry, I though you meant background-wise to start with :p

Personally I'd be inclined to use mainly regular bikes due mainly to their increased balistic skill (less usefull with TL Bolters, but very handy with special weapons and any combi-weapons on the Sergeant) and the ability to be troops if you take a Captain on bike or Khan as your HQ (lets you have fun with T5 FNP Comand Squads too...)

Maybe one unit of Scout Bikes for their ability to booby trap ruins (I think this can be done with terrain in your opponant's deployment zone?) and provide abalative wounds for a Power Fist Sergeant.

Warforger
22-03-2009, 18:37
I'd say Marine bikes, special weapons, better armor save, can take a heavy weapon, better stats and if your captain is on a bike they can score

sabre4190
22-03-2009, 19:25
Marine Bikers would be more fluffy. There are is only 1 company of scouts, and they are spread out fairly evenly between different forces. The old fluff had them as outflankers, who would usually go extremely far ahead of the main force and then swoop in. The majority of the army though, will probably be marine bikers. Its pretty much the same reason why having an army with mostly tactical marines is more accurate than an army of scouts. Bikers are basically tactical marines for White Scars, and really every marine in the white scars list should either be in a rhino, or preferably on a bike.

So long story short, its more accurate to put them on bikes.

Imperius
22-03-2009, 21:06
Thanks guys, I've decided to use normal Marine bikes... But the problem is, I can't find Khan anywhere! Even eBay has failed me!

eek107
22-03-2009, 21:24
Thanks guys, I've decided to use normal Marine bikes... But the problem is, I can't find Khan anywhere! Even eBay has failed me!

The model hasn't been made yet... and I'm not sure if there's been any confirmation of whether it will or not. You'll probably have to make one yourself.