PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my army

the johnanator
22-03-2009, 20:25
Hey all!!

I am stuck trying to decide what army to play and need some advice...

I have norrowed my choices down to four armies

Dark elves
Ogres
Bretts
Tomb kings

The things that are most important to me are
1) playstyle
2) how hard to paint
3) how many figures in the average 2000 point army

cheers for the help guys!

Monsterzonk
22-03-2009, 20:32
Dark Elves: beautiful, versatile, relatively hard to paint, small elite force

Brets: very combat oriented, hard to paint, small numbers

Ogres: pure combat, not too hard to paint, very few guys

Tomb Kings: quite versatile, easy to paint, you'll need loads

I say go for Dark Elves! I think they can be easily tailored to your playing style, and they have awesome minis and the most recently released army book. ;)

Rubicon
22-03-2009, 20:48
My gut instinct is to say go Dark Elves...because i love them very much, but they aren't for everyone...

Dark Elves are the ultimate glass hammer: Hit very hard but can't take the damage, and you can't throw units away

Brets are the ultimate in point and click....line up the charge and go

Ogres are a challenge...the current book is a little behind in terms of the powerscale. I don't see many people play them so I'm not too savvy on them. Could be fun though

Tomb Kings are dead easy to paint, and depending on the build you choose, you don't need loads. A great army, but one that will be re-done relativly soon.

Yeah, after further reflection, I say go Dark Elves

swarmofseals
22-03-2009, 21:45
I think in order to help you we'll need to know what you are looking for in terms of playstyle and how importance competitiveness is to you. Ogres and Tomb Kings are widely considered to be two of the weakest armies (especially ogres). Brets are generally thought to be middle tier, with good matchups against many opponents but notably bad ones against demons and vampires, two of the top armies. Dark elves, on the other hand, are generally considered to be either the second or third most powerful army.

In terms of numbers, the only army of the four that is certain to have lots of models is tomb kings. Ogres CAN have extremely few models, but also can have a lot if you go heavy on the gnoblars. The same is true for brets -- low model count if you stick to knights, more if you have a lot of peasants. Dark elves also have a pretty wide range. If you get a lot of core spearmen you can field a lot of models, but if you focus more on elite units your numbers will be lower (although not as low as a brettonian or ogre army that ignores peasants/gnoblars).

In terms of ease of painting, Tomb kings are probably the easiest. Ogres can be easy, although painting a lot of gnoblars can be tedious I imagine. Dark elves have more detail, but they don't look like they would be that hard. Brettonians CAN be very difficult if you individualize each knight and do a lot of 2d heraldry work, but you aren't required to go that route.

elctrcian
22-03-2009, 22:04
New member here, I too am looking to start a new army..kinda thinking warriors of chaos, maybe skaven, maybe brits...I know the Warriors of chaos got redone, but are there still models yet to come out? ex. foresaken, warshrine..and if so when do new things come out, and when are skaven due for a touch up?

Monsterzonk
22-03-2009, 22:13
WoC won't get new models anytime soon, AFAIK. Skaven should be re-released within the year...

elctrcian
22-03-2009, 22:14
so are units like the foresaken and warshrines covered in the book, for down the road purposes?

Rubicon
22-03-2009, 23:23
The Warshrine and forsaken are two units that could be easily converted. In game terms the shrine is downright awesome (MoT FTW!) whereas forsaken are preety useless (being frenzied and having few attacks).

gumbio
25-03-2009, 01:50
id go with the ogres if u like hard hitting

Grovel
25-03-2009, 02:06
Ogres if you want a challenge
Dark Elves if you want the strongest book
Tomb Kings if you want the most tactical force
Brettonians if you want the least tactical force

As for opinion, I'd say go with the Ogres as they're a very different army, and rarely seen.

Fideru
25-03-2009, 03:48
From my experience, which is only my experience, others may disagree:
Ogres are not very strong and require a lot of work. It's there if you want a challenge.
Dark Elves are quite powerful. But don't get to be on the receiving end.
I have no opinion on Tomb Kings, never have seen them played in a while.
Bretonnians are point and click. Sorry to offend anybody that feels otherwise.

CaliforniaGamer
25-03-2009, 04:28
you will be fairly discouraged as a new player with Ogres. They are weak. I would pick something like HE, DE or WE if you can stand elves as they are all fairly competitive.

bob_the_small
07-04-2009, 22:03
IMO it is just DARK ELVES FTW