PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Hellebron - fluffy Dark Elves, 2000pts

Monsterzonk
22-03-2009, 21:27
I've been reading through my DE book the other day and I think I've fallen in love with Hellebron. She's awesome with 7-9 Attacks at WS7, S10 :eek: and I9. Plus she let's you take Witch Elves as Core. What's not to like?

So I've come up with a heavily Khaine-themed army list:

LORDS

Hellebron - 350

HEROES

Lord Vraneth the Black - 340
+ Master, Manticore, heavy armour, shield, lance, Ring of Hotek, Cloak of Hag Graef (after all, the Manticore is seen as one of the aspects of Khaine...)

Lelith the Bloody - 120
+ Hag Queen, two hand weapons, Touch of Death

CORE

The Brides of Burning Blood - 220
+ 17 Witch Elves, full command, Banner of Murder
* Hellebron goes here

The Beloved of Khaine - 220
+ 17 Witch Elves, full command, Witch Brew
* Lelith goes here

Sisterhood of Blood - 110
+ 10 Witch Elves, Champion

The Fallen - 66
+ 6 Harpies

The Despised - 66
+ 6 Harpies

The Hand of Khaine - 151
+ Assassin, extra hand weapon, Rune of Khaine, Touch of Death

SPECIAL

The Guardians - 257
+ 12 Executioners, banner, musician, Tullaris

The Acolytes - 98
5 Shades, Champion (I see those as apprentice Assassins...)

TOTAL 1998

The choices were mostly made for fluff reasons. I know I don't have much in the way of magic defence, and I'm going to suffer badly from shooting. But once I get stuck in, I should be able to make up for it.
The one problem I have will be heavily armoured enemies. Hellebron can deal with them, as do the Executioners. But the rest of the army will struggle.
The Harpies are there to intercept enemy Fast Cavalry that wants to lure away my Frenzied Witch Elves, or to take out war machines.
The Master on Manticore should take care of enemy magic users and missile troops.

Comments?

Chaos Undecided
22-03-2009, 21:49
Looks a nice fun and fluffy list, it probably wouldnt do well in a competitive environment because of the vulnerabilities you are already well aware of.

I would say that although it fits in nicely to the theme the Manticore may not be the best choice of mounts for your mobile problem solver character, one failed control test and it will go charging off into the big block of troops you probably didnt want it to go near. A Dark Pegasus would be a more reliable mount really but then you might not be interested in playing safe.

I think personally I'd prefer to see the third witch unit a bit larger probably at the expense of a harpy unit but then I've never been keen on the multiple small unit approach that seems to have gained favour with some people.

In general though I like it.

Dr.Mercury
22-03-2009, 22:12
What about a cauldron?

Giving all Khainites within 12" stubborn can NEVER be a bad thing in a Khainite army!

Personally in this list I would drop the master on Manticore, and take a hags and a cauldron, maybe make the hag a BSB

bob_the_small
23-03-2009, 23:48
I love fluffy lists, and it would be fun to play but as people have said it wont stand up in any sort of competitive game.

ICEMANQ
24-03-2009, 00:24
A cauldron would do well in this army - witch elves are seriously vulnerable and anything that can negate that helps. In fact, take a CoB, give the executioners the frenzy banner, 7 wide unit, give them +1 attack from the CoB and thats 21 odd KB S6 attacks :P I don't know how much you'll enjoy playing the army, though. If you can play other fluffy players it would be alot of fun, but sadly they are few and far between these days.

sroblin
24-03-2009, 01:54
I appreciate the fluffiness of this army and I love Witch Elves; however I think there are number of things which could make this more viable given the vulenrabilities:

- if you're going to go with the shades, might as well give them weapons. Fluff-wise, assassins tend to be more melee oriented rather than shooting. Tactically, because you're army is advancing you are more likely to want to take them war-machine hunting or flank charging than doing purely march-blocking stuff. Alternatively you may consider cutting them to save points.
-Increase the third witch elf unit to either 12 or 18, perhaps with its own additional harpy screening unit. Having a third 'heavy' unit might help, given that all of the Witch Elf units are very vulnerable to shooting.
-Cauldron of Blood would be very fluffy, and the killing blow could help the witches deal decisvely with high armor units. Stubborn's nothing to complain about either.
-Battle Standard would also be very good, banner of hag graef could make one unit a lot less vulnerable to being charged.

What to cut? I think the points spent on the manticore are the most expendible; it inclusion makes the list perhaps a little too character heavy, and the manticore is killy but not very survivable without an armor save. A dark pegasus or even dark steed might be preferable for a mobile support hero, and gives you 150 points to upgrade other parts of your list.

While the list is vulnerable to shooting, the biggest problem I see is that the Witch Elves and Executioners are very vulnerable to being charged by cavalry; even average cavalry will decimate the front rank of a WE unit, leaving few if any to attack back. Banner of Hag Graef will at least help protect one unit against this, and the assassin can help with another.

Monsterzonk
24-03-2009, 10:22
Thanks for the input!

I'd really like to keep the Manticore for the fluff factor, but maybe I can be convinced to drop it.

Considering what you came up with, I thought about dropping the Shades (as they're the least Khainite unit) and a Harpy from each unit. That would free up 120 points to get a Cauldron for Lelith and another Witch Elf to take her place in the unit, so I can still field them 6x3.
The small unit of Witch Elves was just a necessity to get three Core choices. Now they can protect my Cauldron. Bonus!

If I change the Manticore for a Pegasus I'd have another 150 points to buy a Hag BSB with Standard of Hag Graef. Hmmmm...

Comments?

Mooglemen
24-03-2009, 16:04
Well, if you're sold on the manticore, I know of a certain lady in your list who is just begging to ride one instead of your master. Hellebron + manticore = Flying blender set to purée.

AlphaLegionMarine
24-03-2009, 18:17
Hellebron and Manticore is the ultimate glass cannon, remember ~750 pts of no save what so ever...

Keep her with the Witch Elves.

I offer a change to what you are doing. Give the other Hag the BSB and Hag Graef and combine her and Hellebron into one unit with 20+ WE with Full Command. Screen them with Harpies. Then take 2 units of 10 Witch Elves to support the big block.

Take 2 units of 7 Executioners...

I would also suggest a Cauldron of Blood on another Death Hag if you can swing the points.