PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshop in 'Lewis'

OutOfContext
22-03-2009, 22:48
So if anyone in the UK is watching 'Lewis' right now, you may have noticed the obvious Warhammer reference here.
Nice to see that Games Workshop, well at least Lord Of The Rings, gets some mention in popular culture.
Although, I'm slightly disappointed in the rather stereotypical way the wargamer guy is depicted.
Oh well :p

Anyone else spot this?

While we're at it, is there any other obvious GW references in TV series, etc you've spotted?

forthegloryofkazadekrund
22-03-2009, 22:54
There was a GW in the first episode of Highlander the series

Reaver83
22-03-2009, 22:56
I had a friend send me a text she could see my toy soldiers on tv!

Nightsword
22-03-2009, 23:10
Warhammer was mentioned on Neighbours by a character refering to it as geeky.

AmBlam
22-03-2009, 23:15
What's Lewis?

zedeyejoe
22-03-2009, 23:27
There was a soap where a dad was referred to as playing with toy soldiers. Yup they were Space Marines and for some reason the room caught fire.

Couple of films with a tabletop wargame in them.

And of course Callan the hitman who plays with toy soldiers (which Edward Woodward did in real life).

cool0001
22-03-2009, 23:59
What's Lewis?

Lewis is a TV police detective show with a main character called Lewis

Bloodknight
23-03-2009, 00:01
There's a show on the German Kinderkanal (Children's Channel), set in a boarding school, in which the kids play WFB all the time (of course not by the rules. High dice rolls are always good...;)), even girls do it, and kids indebt themselves to get the new ubermonster to defeat their mortal foes (no seriously, that used to be the plot in one show; a kid stealing money from other kids so he could buy a Wood Elf dragon to defeat a girl's Dwarf army).

phoenixlaw
23-03-2009, 00:13
There was a GW in the first episode of Highlander the series

It was actually the second episode :)

CapitanGuinea
23-03-2009, 00:25
I remember that in X Files, when Fox Moulder first encounter the Lone Gunmen team they are playing at the 4th edition of WHFB...

Foolish Mortal
23-03-2009, 09:07
If I remember correctly, there was an episode of Taggart (back in the day when he was still in it), that made a reference to wargaming, and featured the plastic High Elves from the boxed WFB (can't remember which edition). I also seem to remember several references to RPG's as well.

yabbadabba
23-03-2009, 09:13
Enemy of the State. Will smith's son is reading WD at the end of the movie. Laughed my chunky ass off!

The Grey Guy
23-03-2009, 09:39
In a presets music video, "If I Know You"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zkjDBQwalw

Tau right at the beginning :D

samael
23-03-2009, 09:41
In an episode of Witchblade they showed off a wood elf dragon painted in gold as a centuries old mystical artifact.

I guess the budget was limited for that episode.:)

Fenrir
23-03-2009, 10:37
Theres a mention of "painting toy soldiers" in Groundhog Day.

Aurellis
23-03-2009, 10:43
On Blue Peter a few years ago a kid showed Richard Bacon his painted Bretonnians on a trip to a community centre. His reply was "Very cool", I wasn't quite so convinced by his reaction though :p

IJW
23-03-2009, 10:57
New Tricks. One episode has a whole bunch of historical wargaming taking place, and lots of people's armies being destroyed when a wargaming tournament gets burned down.

The twist? It was burned down by Kevin Whately, who plays Lewis. :)

Anaris
23-03-2009, 12:33
If I remember correctly, there was an episode of Taggart (back in the day when he was still in it), that made a reference to wargaming, and featured the plastic High Elves from the boxed WFB (can't remember which edition). I also seem to remember several references to RPG's as well.

Yeah, I was about to post that very same thing. It was the 4th edition set and it also had a High Elf Lord on Dragon as well.

I believe it was the episode of the "peeping tom" schoolboy who witnessed a murder whilst spying on his neighbours. You could see the models on a desk in his bedroom.

Going full circle, I think he was played by the same actor who now plays DC Stuart Fraser.

As for Wil Smith's son. I think that was probably a personal copy as his son is know to play it and Will Smith was on that list of celeb's that have been seen in a GW store.

Crube
23-03-2009, 15:27
The guy on To Buy or Not To Buy this morning had a load of unpainted Vostroyans. He was after a games room in his new property...

ChrisMurray
24-03-2009, 15:32
An episode of made had an unpopular geeky dude who wanted to be made into a ladies man, he mentioned warhammer as a hobby and showed his army.

Fenrir
24-03-2009, 16:56
I once stumbled across an episode of "Trisha" where some poor sod was getting a grilling by his wife, Trisha and the audience (who were smirking at the description of the game) about spending so much money and time on the hobby.

A warning to all!

Templar Ben
24-03-2009, 17:32
They had it on SNL

BigRob
24-03-2009, 19:20
In an episode of Grange Hill, two kids were discussing how they had grown up so much and didn't do childish things like playing Pokemon or Warhammer anymore.

Neighbours, they had Zeke's sisters making fun of his "geeky warhammer" posters and then pulled out an old imperial captain on pegasus and made fun of it.

Warhammer mockery gets everywhere, you should see what happenes when daytime TV shows like "This Morning" get hold of wargamers or even worse, Live Roleplayers. They always pick the most anal, sterotypical "nerd" types and play them for laughs.

Templar Ben
24-03-2009, 19:39
http://www.hulu.com/watch/20340/saturday-night-live-deal-or-deal

It is at 4:30 or so into it.

Dad: "Well if it is your night, where is (sic) your little monster toys and your deadbeat friends?"
Son: "It's a Warhammer gaming club."

Samuell
25-03-2009, 01:53
A reality show on Belgian tv where a couple of Gothic teens show the reporter around their local independant dealer's. A nice segment because of the openminded view on wargaming and the lack of a stereotypical presentation.

Arcadian
25-03-2009, 15:48
http://www.hulu.com/watch/20340/saturday-night-live-deal-or-deal

It is at 4:30 or so into it.

Dad: "Well if it is your night, where is (sic) your little monster toys and your deadbeat friends?"
Son: "It's a Warhammer gaming club."

Thank you for sharing that.. my wife and I laughed for a good while about that one..

There is an Episode of Red Vs Blue where Caboose refers to himself as a Space Marine... I'll rewatch my collection and see if I can find which episode it is.

Messiahnide
26-03-2009, 02:55
I remember a few years back my dad shouted me into the front room cos they were turning a basement into a games room for a kid on one of those house makeover shows, its had a huge table in the middle and lit up display cases all over the walls, was pretty cool.

zedeyejoe
26-03-2009, 09:17
I had that when I was younger. MY father mounted a table on the wall which folded down when I wanted to play. Worked nicely (about 8 foot by 4 foot).

Hlokk
26-03-2009, 23:14
There was a workshop gaming case on to buy or not to buy on Tuesday.

Anyone remember Somegimps magic watch (bernard I think) who had an assload of GorkaMorka stuff in his room.

EvC
07-04-2009, 12:04
Warhammer mockery gets everywhere, you should see what happenes when daytime TV shows like "This Morning" get hold of wargamers or even worse, Live Roleplayers.

Nice choice seeing as one of the behind-the-scenes managers at This Morning is a longtime Warhammerer :)

BigRob
07-04-2009, 15:26
That maybe but it doesn't stop it being portrayed as a hobby that involves boring, bearded, overweight, hyginically challenged people who are 30 and live in their parents attic.

It's the same with anything non mainstream, the TV shows are only interested in the minority of "strange" people who actually believe in the Chaos Gods and all have thier own home made cardboard power armour because they make good telly. You won't get them interviewing a group of regular guys who play warhammer on a weekend.

only joking...
07-04-2009, 21:50
There was a workshop gaming case on to buy or not to buy on Tuesday.

Anyone remember Somegimps magic watch (bernard I think) who had an assload of GorkaMorka stuff in his room.

HA! I remember that episode of bernards watch! This kid had a magic watch that could stop time, and instead of robbing banks he chose to play 6th ed warhammer with his grandad :confused:

Jedi152
08-04-2009, 08:22
Nice choice seeing as one of the behind-the-scenes managers at This Morning is a longtime Warhammerer :)
Is this ... a confession?

EvC
08-04-2009, 12:47
...no, I do not watch This Morning. God, what do you take me for? :p

ozzyboy
10-04-2009, 20:27
In the film "the Lost Princess" the bad guy plays with a bunch of old cadian models, it was rather neat to see.

Cool_Mint
10-04-2009, 22:12
Not Games Workshop but I'm watching Termiinator and Cromarty (the T-888) is painting miniatures... apparantly he's not too good at eyes. :p

I suspect the producers are aware of their core viewer's pastimes.

Kaihlik
10-04-2009, 22:32
There is an Episode of Red Vs Blue where Caboose refers to himself as a Space Marine... I'll rewatch my collection and see if I can find which episode it is.Its an unrelated joke from Reconstruction I think, he asks someone (Simmons I think) if they can change his job title to something more interesting like Space Marine but I think its just in referance to the fact the he is already a "Space Marine" in the more generic sci-fi use of the term.

Dvil
11-04-2009, 21:17
I'm watching Red Dwarf now (the new one). There's about a minute of a guy describing this really weird Red Dwarf fanatic. He then rings him up, and opens with something like "Hi Reg, how's the Warhammer?"

I feel insulted.:mad: