PDA

View Full Version : Game Night Propaganda.

Paradox
13-12-2005, 04:35
To cut straight to the chase, I'm currently in the process of putting together a bit of a booklet for my army including background, army list and a couple of other small tidbits of information that I can give to my opponent pior to the game beginning. Hopefully, this will add a bit more character to the game for my opponent, rather than just setting out to deliver a sound thrashing to my Imperial Guard!

At present, I have structured the fluff aspect of this in the fashion of a collection of encyclopedia excerpts covering such things as ancient military history, modern military history, a geographic overview of the home world and trade agreements existing within the system. Due to the areas covered having the potential to get extremely in-depth, these excerpts are quite brief and in total tally at around 10 typed pages of Arial 12 point.

Without providing the material here- it is still very much a work in progress that I will refine over time- I have a quick question that I'm hoping you guys would be so kind to answer. Is ten pages of background too much for such a publication (keeping in mind that is 10 pages of BACKGROUND only- does not include the lists, special rules etc)?

Thanks guys- early in the new year I will be asking for proof reading from general fluff nuts as well as Imperial Guard players. If you're interested I'd love to hear from you.

Mad Makz
14-12-2005, 00:18
10 pages of just typing is probably too much. I mean, it's great for your own refernce, but whose actually going to sit down and read 10 pages of background before playing a game.

I'd say a 4 page booklet (Cover, 2 page spread, back page) would be the most I'd expect an opponent to look at. And keep it highly visual, with sketches of key elements of what you're describing.

I realise it's probably going to be a pain for you to cut out so much writing, but my advice would be to look at what REALLY makes the army special/different/unique/fun, and focus on that, rather than some of the more mundane things. As a casual observer I'd find a countries national sport or favourite alcoholic beverage to indicate a lot more about them then raw figures/their complete military history.

Paradox
14-12-2005, 10:34
Yeah- I'm thinking I might have to make it a whole lot more intimate.

It's a work in progress though- I'm not expecting to have it complete until I've got all the models painted up and ready to game.

Thanks for the input.

Izram
14-12-2005, 20:54
For every one of my armies Make my own army list and put it in word in charts, i add unit names and background there. A paragraph for each unit basically. People don't like reading long narratives, they really only need the basics. The longer it is, the better it probably is, but the less likely someone would be to read it.

This is for my undead, printed over the faded background. My pdf cpnverter changed the color of some of the text, but it would normally not be like that.

Paradox
15-12-2005, 01:18
Thanks for the example- much appreciated.

I think I'll take it on board and tighten my background bit up quite substantially. At these early stages it is all just about a preliminary write up and plotting exactly what I want to do with it.

I'd be confident I could condense it down to a couple of pages without losing any quality- I'd suggest it may actually improve. At the end of the day though, I am only providing an option for my opponent- if they choose not to read it that is entirely cool with me, I wouldn't mind in the slightest. I'll be including a summary of my list and special rules at the back rather than integrating it into the background as Izram has done to make it easier for those who wish to ignore the fluff.

Zabuza
16-12-2005, 05:14
ooh, I like this idea, Paradox. I'd like to do one for my Tau....

hmmm.....

If I get any ideas, I'll post 'em here.