PDA

View Full Version : effective alternative to steel legion or DKoK guard

MEanBOb12
23-03-2009, 00:26
I don't know where to put this, so mods feel free to move it.

So I figure I will share my little discovery Upon looking for models to use in my coat toting guard army, I came across Pig Iron Productions, a relatively new company which just put out its first 28mm pewter range. They have some very nice gas mask + great coat soldiers that could pass for guardsmen and they sell the heads seperately, which could fulfill anyone's dream of making a relatively affordable DKoK or Steel Legion army with a little green stuff work on plastic cadians.

I am planning on greenstuffing simple coats onto the Cadian models and using the heads from pig iron (an idea stolen from another forum) and possibly using the full models as veterans or storm troopers.

The models can ordered directly from their site

http://www.pig-iron-productions.com/order.htm#m

or for us U.S. dwellers at

http://www.thewarstore.com/pigironproductions.html

for very reasonable prices (cheaper then GW steel legion in fact).

Sorry if this has already been discovered, but I this is newsworthy in my mind since GW probably won't be coming out with plastic greatcoats.

Marshal Sinclair
23-03-2009, 01:47
For the time and effort that would be required in sculpting decent looking models from Cadians, you might as well just go out and buy the real models like the rest of us. Almost all of the "Krieg" armies I've seen made out of Cadians look terrible. You have to ask yourself a question. Do you want to waste a lot of money on an army that would probably look god aweful (depending on your sculpting skills - an awesome sculpter could pull it off, but it would take hundreds of hours work (but it will still look like Cadians with Greenstuff and Pig Iron heads)), or do you want to waste even more money on a real Krieg army that will look beautiful? I went for the second option, obviously.

MEanBOb12
23-03-2009, 03:33
Well you don't know what simple means, and thats my fault. Basically only the bottom portion of the coat will be exposed, the top being covered by flak armor and ill merely bulk out the cuffs of the cadian jacket to create good jacket sleeves. Even my minimal sculpting ability will be able to create this.

This is where I completely stealing the idea from without any shame whatsoever. His models are just too awesome not to have my own army of:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/226992.page

Cane
23-03-2009, 03:44
Wow those look awesome. I say go for the idea as long as you're comfortable with doing what will probably be a substantial amount of time greenstuffing depending on your army list comp.

You may want to check out these heads as well:

http://www.frpgames.com/new/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1844

Maine
23-03-2009, 03:50
It will be a lot of work, and the greenstuff costs will add up.

Additionally, if you want to play in any GW tournaments, be aware that GW's tournament rules explicitly forbid models with parts from another company. Im not looking to start an argument on this, merely making a statement of fact regarding their policy. Whether they enforce it or even find out they are pig-iron heads, well, who knows. I personally use Pig Iron heads on my quad-riding Steel Legion rough riders.

MEanBOb12
23-03-2009, 04:08
Yea I know about their tournament policies, and if I went to a GW tournament, I'd just use my BT army i guess. Yes the green stuffing will take forever, I do hope to do a 2000pt Guard army between when the codex comes out and I go to college in august. Its going to be quite the race against time.

If I produce anything worth showing, I'll be sure to post it.

GotTofu
23-03-2009, 04:08
It will be a lot of work, and the greenstuff costs will add up.

Additionally, if you want to play in any GW tournaments, be aware that GW's tournament rules explicitly forbid models with parts from another company. Im not looking to start an argument on this, merely making a statement of fact regarding their policy. Whether they enforce it or even find out they are pig-iron heads, well, who knows.

Hmmm... I've heard this and heard otherwise as well.

Which gets me aweful confused since my guard I'm building have pigiron heads.

Do you know where they have this rule stated that you can't use conversion with extra non-GW parts? (ie guard body and weapon with a different head or cast added backpack?)

Just tryin to find the truth in dozens of different rumors and messages I've heard. (never actually played in a GW tourney)

MEanBOb12
23-03-2009, 04:20
In the gamesday tournament rules I clearly remember that models not from GW cannot be used, but that may have changed since I took a look at the community section from the site and it says this:

A Few Simple Rules for Open Gaming

All models must be Citadel, Fanatic, Marauder, or Forge World models.
All models must be fully painted.
No vulgar language or poor behavior will be tolerated (this is a family event!)
The most important rule HAVE FUN!

I cant seem to find any tournament rules though.

I feel though that something as small as head conversions would be a problem though, unless the guy running the tourney is a real stickler for the rules.

GotTofu
23-03-2009, 05:38
Yeah I've had a hard time finding any type of offical rules for GW tournies. One day I hope to particapate (and lose badly) in one.

Got small crimson fist and iron warrior armies, but I prefer the new IG i'm working on now.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm68/hiroshiz/Warhammer%2040k/Troopercmon.jpg

Oberst Viktor Morte
23-03-2009, 05:46
First off, I've never even hearad of Fanatic or Marauder minis. A quick googling showed that Marauder used to make some minis, mainly for fantasy. However, I still know nothing about Fanatic.

Also, for everyone who keeps on saying that FW is too expensive and whatnot, right now a squad of Krieg infantry is roughly $50. Now, most squads of ten men that GW makes are $35, the exception being the Cadians who are 20 men for that price. Getting 20 heads will cost you another $5. A package of greenstuff will cost you another $10.

20 Kriegsmen from Forgeworld = $100. Minimal construction time. Looks spectacular.
20 Cadian Kriegsmen conversions = $50 (soon to be $60) Takes forever to put together, will look okay at best.

I'm sorry, it'll take me less than 3-4 hours to make that extra $40-50. I'd likely take that long to sculpt them up, and chances are they'd still look poor. I recommend just going out and buying the Forgeworld models. You won't regret it.

massey
23-03-2009, 06:17
My understanding is that models have to be primarily GW to enter. So variant heads are fine. I also understand that if any bits are noticably from another model range, you can't have your army pictured in WD (as GW doesn't own the rights to show those models). But I've never been to a tournament.

backslide
23-03-2009, 12:03
cadians with west wind or pig iron heads is the way to go I think

I got a shed load of crapachans for almost nothing and got west wind heads, british WW1 heads with gasmasks and it works a treat

Col.Gravis
23-03-2009, 12:18
I have to say I'm really disappointed to see so many people being quite unsupportive, personally I say go for it.

It may take take time and practice but if your willing to put that in at the end of the day by using a combination of sculpting, cadians and seperate heads you'll have a fantastic looking and unique army - and one which is perhaps half the cost of FW (heres a tip Greenstuff is only expensive if you buy it from Games Workshop), something which is to be encouraged and applauded.

Also with regards to the tournament legality issue massey is correct, conversion are permitted as long as the base model is citadel which the Cadians are, the only hassel you'll get for using Westwind, Pig Iron, Empress or any other heads is people - judges included - stopping to look at cool models and asking where you got em.

Killgore
23-03-2009, 12:30
For the upcomming codex I will need some cheap models with gasmasks for use as conscripts in my Steel Legion/ Dkok force

the pig iron KOLONY MILITIA HEADs on cadians would make excelent cheap conscripts and the Kolony Rebel heads on a mixture of Cadian/ Catachan models would make great Penal Legion troops

best of luck with your green stuffing greatcoats on the cadians Meanbob but for 20 for 10 Steel Legion i would much rather buy more of them

Rick Blaine
23-03-2009, 12:32
Or just preorder some plastic greatcoats at Wargames Factory and wait a few months.
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/BookingRetrieve.aspx?ID=42195

T_55
23-03-2009, 12:34
Sounds good. I'm getting sick of constantly seeing death korps anyway. I'd find a solid method for green stuffing longer coats and once you get used to that method you'll speed up the process through practice.

Oberst Viktor Morte
23-03-2009, 19:29
I have to say I'm really disappointed to see so many people being quite unsupportive, personally I say go for it.

I may have come across as saying that, and if so I apologize. I was more of trying to imply that if you want to go off and do all that work, I'm sure that you can create some cool looking models. But if you do, don't call them Steel Legion, and don't call them Death Korps, because they aren't. It would be like trying to greenstuff them into Tallarns or Valhallans. Ultimately they're just not going to look like what you're trying to turn them into, and you'd be better off just buy the real minis.

If you're making a regiment from Greatcoatius 5, who use some awesome Pig Iron heads, I'd like to see it, and would be more than happy to play against them! (I love me some trench warfare.)

Acolyte
23-03-2009, 19:44
Additionally, if you want to play in any GW tournaments, be aware that GW's tournament rules explicitly forbid models with parts from another company.

Actually, it's a percentage, it varies between 60% and 80% depending on who you talk to. If you have heads or little things from another company, it's fine, but if you made a whole army of Pig Iron greatcoat Guard, then that's a no-go. My Tau Battlesuits have parts from Mechwarrior: Dark Age Arbalest 'Mechs, and have been used in tourines (And the idea came from a Tau army that won a best presentation award at another Conflict)

MEanBOb12
23-03-2009, 20:05
I may have come across as saying that, and if so I apologize. I was more of trying to imply that if you want to go off and do all that work, I'm sure that you can create some cool looking models. But if you do, don't call them Steel Legion, and don't call them Death Korps, because they aren't. It would be like trying to greenstuff them into Tallarns or Valhallans. Ultimately they're just not going to look like what you're trying to turn them into, and you'd be better off just buy the real minis.

If you're making a regiment from Greatcoatius 5, who use some awesome Pig Iron heads, I'd like to see it, and would be more than happy to play against them! (I love me some trench warfare.)

No I won't be calling them death corps or steel legion (my thread title is miss leading), but I really like the look, so that's what I'm going for. I already got fluff all picked out and everything. I ordered some cadians that I should be getting this week so we'll see what comes out of them.

Oberst Viktor Morte
23-03-2009, 20:27
No I won't be calling them death corps or steel legion (my thread title is miss leading), but I really like the look, so that's what I'm going for. I already got fluff all picked out and everything. I ordered some cadians that I should be getting this week so we'll see what comes out of them.Be sure to set up a project log and keep us all updated on how they come out then. Good luck!

Khornate Fireball (Ork)
23-03-2009, 20:41
Wow, that Dakka Dakka guy's models look great. I love their simplicity and clean look. I very much anticipate your project log!

Auzu
23-03-2009, 20:58
For the record i'm making an IG army using the pig iron Kolony militia and they are very nice

Marshal Sinclair
23-03-2009, 21:09
Sounds good. I'm getting sick of constantly seeing death korps anyway. I'd find a solid method for green stuffing longer coats and once you get used to that method you'll speed up the process through practice.

Exactly how many Krieg armies have you seen? I've yet to see another one. Just because there are a few on Warseer doesn't mean they are actually common.

MEanBOb12
23-03-2009, 23:38
Exactly how many Krieg armies have you seen? I've yet to see another one. Just because there are a few on Warseer doesn't mean they are actually common.

Its funny, because the only metal or FW guard army I've ever seen sitting in front of me is steel legion.

I've only over seen pictures of Krieg forces and my Games Workshop is in freaking NYC (you'd expect at least one there).

But yes I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on my progress, hopefully having a test model by next week.

T_55
24-03-2009, 01:50

There are about a dozen in my area. Of course there's no way i can feasibly prove that so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Col. Dash
24-03-2009, 02:46
Oh WTF, OVER?! That guys army looks just like mine but with a very different color scheme and much more slender great coats. Not saying he copied me at all since the first 55 of mine will not hit the table till thurs but we appearently came up with the same idea at the same time-ish errrrr lol. Here I was hoping for something new.

Vaktathi
24-03-2009, 02:59
I own DKoK models, Steel Legion, and Kolony Militia models. the Kolony are very nice, but a bit static. however they are very cool models and are a decent alternative for the price.