PDA

View Full Version : Tau tactics, builds, and possible improvments.

Blazinblarny53
23-03-2009, 05:18
Several people have been warned that they are straying off topic on the "Are Tau weak" thread. Because of this I have decided to make this thread so that we may continue to debate on Tau tactics, builds, and possible improvements. Now I haven't played tau long enough to debate strategy or builds, But I have played long enough to know we are somewhat outmatched when facing Sm, necrons, and tyranids. I believe if GW would simply make kroot and vespid a little more survivable from long range attacks we would be on a little more even ground with these races.

MasterDecoy
23-03-2009, 06:57
Heres a few thousand pages to read through, they will explain every facet of tau tacics, as well as anti tau tactics that you could ever imagine:

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4524&highlight=tau+tactica
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83059&highlight=tau+tactica
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97042&highlight=tau+tactica
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26594&highlight=tau+tactica
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76639&highlight=tau+tactica

Enjoy

Kelpi
23-03-2009, 07:33
A nice tidbit is that Marker Drones attached to Jetpack Infantry (Stealth/Crisis Suits) can now fire on the move since the Jetpack gives them Relentless.

lantzkev
23-03-2009, 21:10
Marker Drones period do it....

samiens
23-03-2009, 21:15
Actually, I've read an awful lot of tau tactics style threads and most of them seem utterly misguided to me, or otherwise don't get to the heart of tau tactics- Tau fight like their background suggests they should!

ReveredChaplainDrake
23-03-2009, 23:15
I believe if GW would simply make kroot and vespid a little more survivable from long range attacks we would be on a little more even ground with these races.
Kroot more survivable to ranged attacks? What? All they really need is the Stealth USR to replace Fieldcraft, and maybe better Ld for the Shaper, and they're perfectly survivable for what they cost. Heck, with Skilled Flyers, Vespid can hide in Forests for 4+ cover without dying on the jump-in, and with T4 and a Ld9 Strain Leader, even Vespid can pretty tough to dislodge.

The problem with Kroot durability is that they're tissue paper in CC when everybody with I4 has Frag Grenades, Catalyst, and other whatnots that ignore the Kroot's ability to kill them first and deny return attacks, which brings the Kroot's pitiful I3 and literal lack of armor to the light.

From what I've seen, heard, and experienced, the trick to playing Tau is full-mech. Gone are the days when hybrid mech actually works. When you mechanize 36 Fire Warriors and pop out to shoot a squad into sausage, that's how you win without getting assaulted.

samiens
24-03-2009, 02:11
never a truer word spoken! That is pretty much the key to high end tau now from what I've seen and heard

Blazinblarny53
24-03-2009, 02:16
All of the threads I have read say load up in a devilfish and run away when they get close. So far this hasn't worked for me. Of Course every one that plays me makes sure that they have power weapon troops that are either jump troops or have fleet. So far the only thing I've found that helps is a drone fence that runs with the devilfish and stay withing 2 inches of the fish or warriors at all times. The fence makes sure they can't get an assault through to you fire warriors or devilfish. This either allows you time to run or allows you to rapid fire back. Hopefully finish off the unit or widdle them down so that an assault could be repelled. I also heard of Deap striking Fully loaded Devilfish but I don't know if its legal.

sabre4190
24-03-2009, 03:48
Tau mech does work, but its tricky. Last edition, you could utilize the fact that skimmers did not block line of sight. Your Firewarriors and the enemy could see each other, but you could only assault the devilfish. Now, the fish is more of a taxi, where you deploy firewarriors, let them shoot as much as they can, then redeploy. You also use it to deliver firewarriors to an objective safely, where they then bunker down and start firing. Youre expecting some of your bigger stuff to do a bit more damage than before, rather than having your firewarriors deal damage every turn.

And in general, I havnt been using vespids. For the points cost, they just havnt been doing enough damage for me. I used to have them fly into cover, where their skilled riders rule and the cover save would give them a few shots. Instead, it feels like they are too easy to just roll through. Kroot however, are still useful. They probably need a price drop, as everything else has gotten cheaper, but I never go to battle without them. Whether they outflank, infiltrate to take open ground, or just offer support, you can always find a use for kroot.

lantzkev
24-03-2009, 17:10
it's all about the screens and markerlights (to a small degree. mls...)

Screen with drones! line them in the firing unit, then after they fire, during assault phase move em up as mobile 4+ cover! And they block assault. This is more useful for your broadsides and other smaller sized units, but if you line your 12 man squad or 10 man as I run em 5x2 you can get a 4 drone squad to act as cover... 48points for mobile cover only you get that helps block assaults and can possibly pin and kill a few models?

As tony the tiger says "They'reeee Grrreeeaaattt!!!"

Flying Toaster
24-03-2009, 19:44
Go to www.advancedtautactica.com if you want specific advice...

Blazinblarny53
25-03-2009, 19:56
I've actualy been to that site and it kinda sucks. All the stratagies i've seen on that sight assume your playing against another shooty race. They give no advise for countering jump troops or fleet other than run away or jump in a devilfish. Against other races I can usualy scrap a win or tie but I can't beat those dam SM. When I play them they just load up with drop pods and jump troops and walk the board. :(

lantzkev
25-03-2009, 20:35
Don't forget any tactics that are mentioned other than thier "approved" list of responses get the boot immediatly.