PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves special characters

Hvidponi
23-03-2009, 16:23
So another one of theese;

Are any of the Dark Elves special characters overpowered/undercosted?

As far as I can tell Malekith is very powerful, and seems like he needs to be powered down, since he seems to be a fine way of point denial already, but I might be wrong...

Morathi seems undercosted?

Crone, Malus, and Lokhir seems fine.

I dont know what to say about Shadowblade...

Thanks for any input...

rottahn
23-03-2009, 16:25
they all seem balanced to me. lokhir is good, but overcosted. malus is great but more expensive than a BSB. crone is amazingly awesome, but no save to speak of... :P

Aurellis
23-03-2009, 16:26
Malekith: Underpowered and has too many weaknesses. Overcosted.

Crone Hellebrone: Powerful but about right

Morathi: About right

Malus Darkblade, Lokhir Fellheart, Kouran, Tullaris: Pretty much perfectly balanced

Shadowblade: Overcosted

Hvidponi
23-03-2009, 17:28
I have a hard tiem finding Malekiths weaknesses... He is very expensive, but that doesn't really matter since he'll probably survive the battle...
But I have only played versus him once...

MalusCalibur
23-03-2009, 19:36
To be honest, I think none of them are either undercosted or overcosted, because instead they are all BORING. Taking a special character shows a certain lack of creativity on the part of the player, and I would frown upon their use unless the player is building a heavily themed army which absolutely requires the character to function (Hellebron with Core Witch Elves, forming an entirely Khainite army, for example).

MalusCalibur

Disciple of Caliban
23-03-2009, 19:57
To be honest, I think none of them are either undercosted or overcosted

Why couldnt you have just left your reply to this? instead of going off to complain on a tangent that already has several threads devoted to it?

CaliforniaGamer
23-03-2009, 20:36
Aside from the crone, who I hate, is there another DE SC that shines in effectiveness?

MalusCalibur
23-03-2009, 21:05
Why couldnt you have just left your reply to this? instead of going off to complain on a tangent that already has several threads devoted to it?

Because I'm devoted to denouncing special characters wherever possible :D
Besides, my point wouldn't have made any sense without the follow up rant, since the DE characters are not perfectly costed, one way or another.

MalusCalibur

The Song of Spears
23-03-2009, 21:15
Malekith: Underpowered and has too many weaknesses. Overcosted.

Crone Hellebrone: Powerful but about right

Morathi: About right

Malus Darkblade, Lokhir Fellheart, Kouran, Tullaris: Pretty much perfectly balanced

Shadowblade: Overcosted

100% correct.

I use these guys all the time, and rarely do i get results at all different than what he posted.

and if you are like me and take shadowblade anyway, be gutsy with him against a enemy champion or mage in a big unit, it pays off way more than letting him drop a warmachine crew.

O&G'sRule
23-03-2009, 22:23
Malekith and Morathi are probably the most disappointing part of the DE list, such a great background, such poor rules that don't reflect their fluff. Malekith is especially disappointing, take him off his dragon and hes really unimpressive. Hellebron on the other hand is awesomeand is by far the best SC lord choice in the book

badgeraddict
23-03-2009, 23:39
Probably best just to make your own Lord or Hero, rather than use SC to be honest.

Hvidponi
23-03-2009, 23:54
Indeed, but I am planning to make a turney, and here in Denmark they'er banned everywhere, so just for the sake of change, I want to allow the ones that aren't overpowered... I almost never play with or against theese guys, so I'll need some input, and general consensus seems to be that they all can be allowed just as they are in the book...

Axis
24-03-2009, 01:24
None of the DE characters are overpowered or undercosted. If anything they are on the weak side. Malekith in particular is rubbish given his cost. His fluff is cool, his rules are garbage.

xragg
24-03-2009, 04:04
Are you crazy that malekith is rubbish? 2+ armor and a 2+ ward vs non-magic when combined with his weapon that destroys magic items, is phenomenal. The only army I am scared of with him is demons since every attack counts as magic, but its still not hard to protect him and use him as a valuable level 4 wizard.

He played a pivotal role in my army at my last tourny that I won (3-0 w/ 3 mass), but the mvp was definately the black guard with BSB. I will not use him again as I was sorta forced to this time since I am just rebuilding my DE and have a low model count. I am not a fan of huge characters that can dominate a game, and feel a little dirty for doing it myself.

craskie666
21-07-2009, 13:33
one of my fave DE army is shadowblade but due to the fact he is overcosted he only sees a couple of games at most

Condottiere
21-07-2009, 14:04
Depends on what he infiltrates and effects the flow of the game.

The SkaerKrow
21-07-2009, 14:23
I'm rather surprised that Tullaris and Kouran are considered to be worth their points investment. Very, very easy to kill, and quite expensive to boot.

gorenut
21-07-2009, 17:17
I think most are ok as they seem to provide something special to the army that otherwise wouldn't be possible. Thats how I feel special characters should be and not just some upgrade of an existing unit.

That said.. I am not fans of Shadowblade, Kouran, and Tullaris. Think they're all overcosted and overall kinda boring. Shadowblade could yield some fun results.. but as a whole.. I would almost rather always take a regular assassin over him.