PDA

View Full Version : Beast Cowers versus Black Knights

jax40kplyr1
23-03-2009, 16:07
Curious about this one - beast cowers spell is cast against a black knight unit. The spell mentions nothing about not working on "Immune to Psychology" units. The spell says the only move allowed would be a flee reaction.
The black knight unit then has Vanhel's dance cast on it. Would they be allowed an 8" movement, or would it end up being an 8" fleeing movement?

Gazak Blacktoof
23-03-2009, 16:30
There will rarely be a conflict as the movement restriction imposed by the beast cowers spell only lasts until the end of the target unit's next movement phase.

If the two powers ever conflict I'd go with the absolute of "refuse to move". I thought there was a rule or FAQ that said to use the most recent effect for two conflicting magical effects but I can't find it which probably means my brain is making things up.

jax40kplyr1
23-03-2009, 17:06
Ah okay - so if it ends at the target's next movement phase, he technically then should be allowed to cast the spell in his magic phase to get the 8" movement.
Preparing for the large units of Vampire Count Black Knights, so was hoping it could stop them cold.

Gazak Blacktoof
23-03-2009, 17:18
Yes, as far as I can tell you can't normally stop them moving with vanhels unless somebody is casting spells in the wrong magic phase, due to a miscast or some other unusual event.

EvC
23-03-2009, 18:16
There is a much bigger problem with this one that you should know- ethereally moving models such as Black Knights cannot have their movement slown down or stopped by spells, making them effectively immune to the Beast Cowers.

However, it can be cast on Blood Knights freely, or Black Knights that have non-ethereal characters within them. But if the VC player then uses VHD in his magic phase, they get to move the 8".

jax40kplyr1
23-03-2009, 18:22
Black knights by themselves I'm not as much worried about - its the power lists that throw the Vampire Lord on Nightmare and Wight Lord with Reg Banner in the unit that cause me headaches. Thankfully the Vampire Lord (or any Vampire for that matter) in the Black Knight unit nullifies their ethereal rule.

Kalandros
23-03-2009, 22:47
Read "Cancelling Spells" in the rulebook, after 'Dispelling Remains in Play' I believe?

It says the most recent spell wins when conflicting effects happen, so if it were to stop movement longer, then a vanhel's danse macabre would break the spell that prevents movement.

Spirit
23-03-2009, 23:23
Read "Cancelling Spells" in the rulebook, after 'Dispelling Remains in Play' I believe?

It says the most recent spell wins when conflicting effects happen, so if it were to stop movement longer, then a vanhel's danse macabre would break the spell that prevents movement.

This was the argument i was gonna come up with also.