PDA

View Full Version : Lords Only Tournament!!!

PinkFellSquig
23-03-2009, 16:39
So my local game store posted on their calendar that they're going to have a battle-royale style event in which you don't bring an army, but rather a single Lord, with whatever kit you want (including items that eat up another Hero or Rare choice, i.e. dragons). The one trick is, you canNOT take named special characters.

So here goes...

I want to choose from the following lists:
Vampire Counts
Dwarfs
Dark Elves
Warriors of Chaos

My options for VC:
Vampire Lord... on Nightmare/Winged Nightmare/Abyssal Terror/Dragon

My options for Dwarfs:
Dwarf Lord... on Shieldbearers ... on Oathstone
Runelord... on Anvil ... on Oathstone (is that an option? I forget...)
Daemonslayer

Dark Elves:
Dread Lord... on Cold One... on Manticore
Supreme Sorceress... on Cold One ... on Dark Pegasus

Warriors of Chaos:
Sorcerer Lord of Nurgle/Tzeentch... on Chaos Dragon
Lord of Tzeentch... on Chaos Dragon
Daemon Prince (of Tzeentch?)

In each case, I am NOT at all limited in terms of upgrades or points, so I'd like suggestions for which ONE of each category would be best in a Battle Royale, and then what upgrades would be best for the one of each category, followed by a poll for best of the best, which will be post in a separate thread.

Many thanks for any help you guys may offer! This is quite the brainstorm...

Also, my girlfriend is hoping to enter something in this battle as well...
Should she take (from her Wood Elves) a Wild Rider Lord on Great Stag, Lord on Dragon, Lord on Eagle, or Spellweaver on Unicorn?

Thanks again,
~J~

Lord Khabal
23-03-2009, 16:45
Man that is one wird tourney!!! Put tzeentch mage lord on chaos dragon with spell familiar, enchanted shield, geye, book of secrets and roar and just blast the oposition... Though its a weird format since there are lots of armies that suck like this...

PinkFellSquig
23-03-2009, 16:50
I think that should be fairly unique and a fun modeling/painting project to boot!

Votes?
~J~

P.S. for my girlfriend's sake, I forgot her awesomely-converted Treeman Ancient. Rootillery FTW!
~J~

Makarion
23-03-2009, 16:56
What an absurd idea, it would demote at least half the armies in the book to the dust bin. I'd probably pick an arch lector with VHS. Predictable, but that's what you get. Pity the Empire has no KB protection.

Malorian
23-03-2009, 16:59
Check out the arena of death threads to find some nasty combinations :)

PinkFellSquig
23-03-2009, 17:01
Read above post and try again.

Neknoh
23-03-2009, 17:03
Daemonprince of Tzeentch with Tendrils and level 4, just spam gateway.

It is the only way you'll be able to tackle the bloodthirsters and keepers out there.

Be wary of High Elf princes with the Nullstone, those and the Greater Daemons will likely be the ones dominating the field.

PinkFellSquig
23-03-2009, 17:04
How mean would Third Eye of Tzeentch be in a game like this? Line of sight to every model on the board, and all those spells... go!
~J~

soultaker87
23-03-2009, 17:04
well this all most sounds like the tourny I had where we had to use only one lord in our army and that's it, no hero slots or rare slots, but special characters were allowed. do you get to play with an army or is it only those lords on the field. if its the lord only I would think you would need to have flying since most of the others will bring fast mounts to try and get into combat with you. I would guess use the tzeentch lord or wizard on a dragon and fly around your opponent and blast him to death.

Volker the Mad Fiddler
23-03-2009, 17:11
So my local game store posted on their calendar that they're going to have a battle-royale style event in which you don't bring an army, but rather a single Lord, with whatever kit you want (including items that eat up another Hero or Rare choice, i.e. dragons). The one trick is, you canNOT take named special characters.

SNIP

How will such a tournament work for movement, casting and such? Will each player get his own phase? So, player one moves, then casts spells which everyone has a full complement [as many as that is] of dispel dice against, the player 1 fights any combats he is in, then player two repeats the process? Who can dispel spells- anyone or only the player targeted? Is CR used? Can more than 2 character be in combat at the same time? If so, how is CR applied?

Depending on the answers, I think I would lean away from non-combat casters- as with so many people around, it will be hard to stay out of combat. Most likely the DE Lord on a Cold one with the 1+ armour save/pendant combo plus a nice weapon might be a good choice [though he may flee from an outnumbering terror causer].

madival
23-03-2009, 17:15
I believe vamp lord with nightshroud dread lance red fury MotBA on dragon would do well.
7 PD a turn to throw hordes and hordes of zombies at a single hero seems nice.

AlphaLegionMarine
23-03-2009, 17:22
I would take:
lvl 4 Sorceress
Black Dragon
Focus Familiar
Pendant of Khaeleth
Caledor's Bane

Wolf 11x
23-03-2009, 20:11
A Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers is nigh unkillable in close combat. The glaring is problem a lack of any sort of ranged attack.

sergio
23-03-2009, 20:51
dwarf lord on shieldbearers
weapon:
-GW with master rune of kragg the grim, with say, a rune of cleaving and fury for +1S/+1A

armor:
-rune of stone
-rune of +1T
-rune of reroll armor saves maybe?

talismans:
-master rune of spite for 4+ ward
-2x runes of luck

5 attacks @ WS7, S7 + 2 attacks @ WS5 S4
T6, 1+ rerollable, 4+ ward, immune to killing blow, and can reroll some key ward saves that you fail.

not too shabby for a guy who's really only 3' tall....

slingersam
23-03-2009, 23:05
I would have to say saurus oldblood on carnasour,with
Blade of realities, enchanted shield

Aurellis
23-03-2009, 23:09
My vote would be:

Dark Elf Dreadlord-
Black Dragon
Crimson Death
Armour of Darkness
Pendant of Khaeleth
Null Talisman

PinkFellSquig
24-03-2009, 03:53
I've decided on some key profiles for nastiness using Warriors of Chaos...

Chaos Lord on Chaos Dragon - 720 pts.
breath weapons + Bloodcurdling Roar (lots of short-ranged shooty death!)
Talisman of Protection + Mark of Tzeentch (5+ Ward)
Father of Blades (their 1s hit THEM in CC), + Armour of Damnation (re-roll those hits as 1s, plz!)... 3+ Armour overall
Soporific Musk (don't run TOO far)

Sorcerer Lord on Chaos Dragon (795 pts.)
Level 4 Tzeentch w/ Spell Familiar, Power Stone, Book of Secrets, and Third Eye of Tzeentch (5 Tzeentch spells, lots of extra power dice, an extra generic spell, and ALL OF YOUR SPELLZ AR MYN!!!)
Enchanted Shield for 2+ overall Armour
breath weapons + Bloodcurdling Roar for shooty time

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch (535 pts.)
4+ Ward Save
Tendrils for magic spamfisting
Word of Agony for stepping up in MAH FAYCE (or Distendable Maw to go with my lover-ly Tendrylles)

Informal vote... people seem to be favoring a Chaos Lord on Dragon over the rest... with these builds, do you agree???
~J~

PinkFellSquig
24-03-2009, 20:55
Thoughts, maybe?
~J~

Lord Dan
24-03-2009, 21:53
Does combat resolution come into play, or is it a straight fight to the death?

MSU
24-03-2009, 21:54
Depending on the Magic rules, go Vampire on a dragon. Frostblade for a one hit kill. Move into 20" range, cast vanhals to charge in the same turn, cast again if it fails, cast again to get ASF. One wound kills the hero, one wound kills the mount.

Or just use magic to summon an army and then fight him.

Stuffburger
24-03-2009, 22:36
Take a NG warboss with Amulet of Protectyness (same armor and ward as the attacking model), Tricksy trinket (No ward saves), Wollopa's (S10 for one round), and maybe the spiteful shield or something.

Not all that great but if you somehow win with a Night Goblin the bragging rights are immense.

W0lf
24-03-2009, 23:22
Easy. Ether roll with either;

Empire battle wizard, lvl 4
VHS, Holy relic, Mini-fang

OR

Dreadlord
Black Dragon
Pendant of Khaleth
Crimson death
Regen armour (forgot name cba to go check).
Sea dragon cloak

Job done.

Regen > 1+ AS for lord bash imo.

If combat res is involved id drop the dragon and put him on a coldone.

PinkFellSquig
25-03-2009, 03:47
You guys suggesting Empire and Goblins and the like had better read the OP. I HAVE DWARFS, DARK ELVES, VAMPIRES, AND WARRIORS OF CHAOS. That is all.

That being said, I hadn't considered Frostblade, had considered Zombie-ing the place to death.

At this point, it's down to...

Sorcerer Lord (795)
Chaos Dragon (2 breath weapons: S4 fire, S2 –3 save)
Level 4 Wizard of Tzeentch w/ Book of Secrets (7 PD, 4 DD)
Power Stone (one use, 2 extra PD for spell)
Spell Familiar (5 Spells of Tzeentch Lore)
Book of Secrets (1 spell from Fire/Shadow/Death)
Third Eye of Tzeentch (replace spells any turn for Wizard’s in line of sight)
Enchanted Shield (2+ armour)
Mark of Tzeentch & Golden Eye of Tzeentch (6+ ward, 3+ missile ward)
Stream of Corruption (one use, S3 Breath Weapon, -1 Save)

Chaos Lord (730)
Chaos Dragon (2 breath weapons: S4 fire, S2 –3 save)
Father of Blades (all 1s to hit bearer hit attacker)
Armour of Damnation & Shield (3+ save, attackers re-roll all hits)
Soporific Musk (fleers roll 1 more D6 for fleeing distance, discard highest)
Stream of Corruption (one use, S3 Breath Weapon, -1 Save)
Mark of Tzeentch & Talisman of Protection (5+ ward)

Undetermined Vampire Count on Zombie Dragon (xxx)
Stuff goes here (what that stuff does)

Now I will take further suggestions from the ABOVE list.
Thanks!
~J~

Nicha11
25-03-2009, 04:15
Easy take DE lord with reverse ward save, regen and with the crimson death.
Stick him on a dragon and you're set.