PDA

View Full Version : Stompas wading depth

Darkhorse
23-03-2009, 18:24
How deep a river could a stompa realisticly ford?
I suppose the question also applies to Titans and certain 'Nids.
Would you allow it crossing any river on your table?

jstalker
23-03-2009, 18:26
In some cases I can see titans simply stepping over some, not all tho,

I dont think they would be able to go that deep tho

Grimtuff
23-03-2009, 18:26
Well, it's an Apocalypse question, so all you will get here is gamer's opinions.

Discuss it with your opponents, they're the ones you're playing, not us.

LordofWar1986
23-03-2009, 18:27
I would think that a titan/stompa/certain nids would end up making the river bigger after stepping in it, make huge flash floods, or carry the water once they step out. Table wise, I play it them just ignoring rivers all together.

Bookwrak
23-03-2009, 18:45
If it's impassable terrain, it's too deep to cross. If it's not, then it's whatever penalty is usually applied for a super heavy walker.

Seriously, do you think a Stompa is going to be particularly water-tight? I'm not sure what really powers it, but if the water is deep enough to submerge it, do you think that either the engines or the crew are going to be particularly happy if completely immersed?

IJW
23-03-2009, 19:10
For what it's worth, war machines in Epic count rivers as open terrain.

Corrode
23-03-2009, 19:18
If it's impassable terrain, it's too deep to cross. If it's not, then it's whatever penalty is usually applied for a super heavy walker.

Seriously, do you think a Stompa is going to be particularly water-tight? I'm not sure what really powers it, but if the water is deep enough to submerge it, do you think that either the engines or the crew are going to be particularly happy if completely immersed?

Of course it won't work if it's completely submersed. The grots who push it will drown. ;)

Neknoh
23-03-2009, 19:25
I would say that a stompa better be careful with artificial rivers at least, steep edges could well result in the stompa putting one foot in and not being able to get it up, because it'd be resting with the large skirt it's got.

__... ___ and stompafoot goes down into the channel, it's like falling down a pit up to your waste
...|. | and not being allowed to use your arms or try to jump in order to get out.

Vampiric16
23-03-2009, 19:41
If the orks believe it can cross, it probably can. Thats the house rule we (me and friends) use with regards to titans and rough terrain. With rivers..(flicks through house rule book)..all titans are assumed to be tall enough to cross or have some feature that allows them to do so, for example imperial titans are tall enough, tyranids can simply swim etc.

Darkhorse
23-03-2009, 19:44
I can see the belly hold (transport) being flooded, but the drives are up in the chest, higher than a baneblade's turret.
Unless your river is >20' deep, (ie: the estuary) it should remain, literally high & dry.
Acid or lava would be different story. Getting stuck in the mud would just be embarassing.
Transported orks would I think climb up to the shoulders, thus becoming possible targets maybe.

Meriwether
23-03-2009, 21:00
How deep a river could a stompa realisticly ford?

I don't know that I can properly express how funny that question is.

But either way, this is something to discuss with your opponents if it comes up -- *before* the game!

Meri

Marshal Sinclair
23-03-2009, 21:24
Every Stompa ever built is unique. Some of them are steam powered, some are powered by fision reactors, some are better built than a Land Raider, some are girders tacked together and held with black nasty.

There is no one true answer.

Hakkapelli
23-03-2009, 21:37
but the drives are up in the chest, higher than a baneblade's turret.
I'm curious where you've got this piece of intel. Is there official schematics for stompas somewhere.

Acid or lava would be different story. Getting stuck in the mud would just be embarassing.
Getting stuck would not only be embarrasing but rather likely. A stompa would most likely weigh well over a hundred tonnes and with that weight concentrated on the area of one of its feet each time it takes a step it would have a rather hard time moving on softer ground like a riverbank/bottom.

The job of unbogging the stuck stompas would then fall to the grots. As such creatures are not likely to manage to get the stompa mobile again for a while it is my recommendation to all Imperial units facing these warmachines to engage the ork hordes when the greenskins are attempting a river crossing.

Your humble servant
Major General Hakkapelli, Thulean Imperial Armed Forces.

Marshal Sinclair
23-03-2009, 21:42
If a tank weighs 50 tonnes and has all it's weight spread over the tracks, and a Stompa weighs 100 tonnes and has it's weight spread over the surface of one foot (tanking a step) then surely the Stompa is in the better position as the feet are huge and tracks are small.

IJW
23-03-2009, 22:17
I'm curious where you've got this piece of intel. Is there official schematics for stompas somewhere.
Probably from the cutaway poster included in WD351.

Darkhorse
24-03-2009, 02:45
Well there and the old Gargant hit charts from Titan Legions, assuming the Stompas have a similar internal layout.

Serg. Lynchbox
24-03-2009, 03:06
Haven't you seen the Stompa do a breast stroke before?? lol

LawrencePhillips
24-03-2009, 15:10
I think a better question is how can a stompa realistically walk without falling on it's back?

Marshal Sinclair
24-03-2009, 19:30
The same could be said of most 40k walkers, so it's best to ignore that!

Lord Damocles
24-03-2009, 19:33
The same could be said of most 40k walkers, so it's best to ignore that!
Imperial Titans have gyro-stabilisers to help keep them upright.

Marshal Sinclair
24-03-2009, 19:39
The best gyro-staliliser in the galaxy isn't going to help when you get hit mid stride by something like a rail gun.