PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting lord of the rings....

Isoulle
24-03-2009, 01:25
And I was curious about it's future. Every time I think about starting I hear that GW may not renew its license or something along those lines. I know the new large scale supplement came out but I am curious if anyone knows what GW's plans are?

Thank you.

HsojVvad
24-03-2009, 02:54
From what I read here on the forums they will be around for a few more years say 2012 and should get the liscence to The Hobbit and it's sequal film so they will be around for a bit.

jaws900
24-03-2009, 08:26
The War of the Ring will keep it around until the Hobbit film comes out. I did notice a while ago that LOTR was slowly dying as the section in my local was getting smaller.

Spider-pope
24-03-2009, 12:49
The reduction in stuff available is actually part of a reorganisation of the LOTR line. From what ive heard blisters will be reduced vastly in number, and instead models will be boxed. Basically they are doing what they have already done with a lot of Fantasy and 40k metal mini's, grouping them into boxes with either 5 command or 5 normal models in them.

The only delay at the moment is due to whether they should go whole hog and package them in groups of 8, so that each metal box is basically a WOTR formation, or whether to keep them as groups of 5 like fantasy.

As for the Hobbit license, there are no firm plans yet, but Warner have pretty much said that the only company they would consider is GW, based on the excellent job they did with LOTR.

doombanner
28-03-2009, 03:48
I say pull the trigger with confidence. All the rules are already out, and most basic troop types are available in plastic. They're relatively cheap, about a dollar for basic infantry. With characters, you'll pay out the yin-yang, but that's the trade-off.

And they made a ton of it, so piles of it are available on eBay for cheap, so even if someone does yank the game, there's no worry about finding figures.

~Doom Banner