PDA

View Full Version : New Stores and possible new Texas Battle Bunker

shank911
24-03-2009, 01:42
Been talk at the hobby center awhile ago that there would be new hobby centers added in the Houston area and afterwards probably a battle bunker.

From the red shirts that have been there for some time(like the 5+ year ones that should be managers) and the black shirt of my store.
Then word from the at the time regional manager when i asked said it could likely happen, and then the people I've never seen before or since. A person wearing a Grey shirt(or green been awhile since i saw them)and someone that was supposed to be really high in the US HQ that I've only seen once.

So supposedly,the plan was to open the other stores then wait some time like 6 months and if the stores make money and get new customers then GW was going to make a Houston, Texas Battle Bunker location.

This would make sense since the Houston location is growing and has been holding more events and such and since has seen increasing numbers at the store i go to(occasionally we get to many people and i think we surpass the fire limit but GW not gonna kick out their pocket books) .
The managers around here have been close to the at the time US HQ and the UK HQ, so i would completely disbelieve this RUMOR

With the new confirmed 3 more locations at
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?community=&catId=&categoryId=&pIndex=0&aId=14700021&start=1#

With the three new stores located in cypress, copperwood, and royal oaks.
That's a total of 8 Hobby Centers in the Houston Area. And with there being 8 in the California vicinity. A battle bunker is a total possibility.

If posted somewhere else or found to be untrue(although unlikely) please remove.

The Dude
24-03-2009, 01:45
Not really 40K News. Better in Other GW I think.

shank911
24-03-2009, 01:51
if it could be moved to the Other GW thread that would be great. Wasn't completely sure which thread is should go in.

Ddraiglais
24-03-2009, 07:16
Opening stores when people can't find work doesn't make sense. Of course Texas is doing better than most states since it has oil and a ton of wind farms.

Azzy
24-03-2009, 08:26
Opening stores when people can't find work doesn't make sense. Of course Texas is doing better than most states since it has oil and a ton of wind farms.

Well, since new stores means new employment opportunities for the locals, the newly employed people will be better equipped to buy stuff. Right? ;)

shank911
24-03-2009, 22:39
Yea Houston's economy isn't really doing that horrible just the housing market kinda sucks. Since Galveston is a major port and all the companies that are centralized in Houston but also since the population growth from hispanic immigrants from other countries usually puts them in a mjor city like San Antonio, Austin, El Paso, or Houston.

But i mean come on there opening 3 new stores in Houston and only 1 location that i know of really could possible be shut down the others are doing way to good and have managers with the connections, with the uk hq, to keep them up.
So the rumblings i heard could very likely happen and since GW has no BB in the south that i know of off the top of my head.

self biased
25-03-2009, 00:59
if GW opens an austin store, i would so jump on that. it would give me an excuse to move back there, and take my wife kicking and screaming.

Gareth Lorn
25-03-2009, 03:03
Ah, bloody Texans. I had an opportunity to move down there and didn't take it.

Not a single GW store here in Rhode Island; in fact, the only available hobby shop, which is independent, is located on an island, which you can only get to by crossing two bridges and taking some roundabout back roads.

Glad to see GW has love elsewhere in the States.

souljaking09
25-03-2009, 03:11
I'm in dallas.:cool:

Ddraiglais
25-03-2009, 06:14
Ah, bloody Texans. I had an opportunity to move down there and didn't take it.

Well, I moved down here, and my number one goal in life since I've arrived is to move out. I've lived in four states, and Texas is at the very bottom of the list. Of course everyone is different. You might like living down here.

Cane
25-03-2009, 15:18
Well, I moved down here, and my number one goal in life since I've arrived is to move out. I've lived in four states, and Texas is at the very bottom of the list. Of course everyone is different. You might like living down here.

Just to offer another perspective:

Absolutely love living in Texas but I live in one of the major cities. I've lived in 2 countries and five states and visited double that; nothing comes close to TX. Its a perfect place if you don't like the cold and like latino women.

Just do yourself a favor and don't ever live in a small city unless you hate civilization; that goes for any place, anywhere.

CaliforniaGamer
25-03-2009, 16:38
If anyone is aware of Antioch California...WTH are they thinking.

Antioch is an impoverished town in the delta area of the bay in Northern CA. It is highly INACCESSIBLE because the crappy infrastructure to get there, is crime ridden with tons of meth heads and I would never possible image taking a warhammer to play there. If they are doing that why not put a site off Slauson in Compton South Central LA so I can get my head bashed in while Im car jacked after they breakdance on my army.

Put shops in places where nerds are and feel safe: Davis for the love of the Almighty is a pure college town, has the highest % with advanced degrees of any city in the US! and still no shop. Sacramento is the state capital! No shop. San Francisco! no shop. Berkeley, the proverbial homeland for Asian nerds, no shop.

JLBeady
25-03-2009, 19:36
I'm not sure where you get 8 hobby centers in the Houston area. There are 4 currently in Houston (Rice, Willowbrook, Katy, & Sugerland) plus the 3 new ones would bring it to 7, unless your counting the one in Grapevine (Dallas). I believe the Katy and Grapevine locations are destined to be closed as GW is exiting all the "Mills" mall locations as leases expire due to expense, lack of flexibility on store hours, and generally lower return for the buck being spent. I have to wonder about the Willowbrook location (even though from what I can tell it's doing quite well) since two of the new stores are within 10 miles of that location and will likely draw customer's that frequent the current Willowbrook location, and the Willowbrook location has been there 5 years so it’s lease could be coming up for renewal. As GW has not shown any compunction about closing stores (They have closed one in Houston before) if they are losing money, Willowbrook’s days could be numbered and like I said, the Katy location days are already numbered, it could go quickly from 7 back to 5 for a net gain of 1.

That said, I too had a conversation with the regional mgr back in October and I asked specifically what it would take to get a battle bunker in Houston. The response was basically that Houston and the region as a whole would need to reach a certain critical mass in sales and by extension locations and that the magic number was between 7 and 10 stores, with 10 being the more likely number. The person went on to share that they were planning on opening several stores (3 to 5) in the next couple of years in Houston if everything went right. That conversation took place was last October. Obviously the 3 store openings were already in the works when that conversation took place. Also of note was that there was a second black shirt in the store that day “training” who I was told would be managing a new Dallas location. So things seem to be following what the regional mgr mentioned and what was said at the GW shareholder meeting. If there is a battle bunker in Houston’s future, I would say it is at least two years away.

Oh, and I think Texas, and Houston in particular is a great place to live even if it gets really hot and humid in the summer. And I say that having lived or spent significant time in Colorado, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, North Carolina, and Louisiana.

Templar Ben
26-03-2009, 01:35
I would love to live in Texas but I have school age children. With an idiot like Don McLeroy leading the State BOE I would fear for their future. I weep for the children of Texas.

shank911
26-03-2009, 01:37
The one location that closed was forced to by the shopping center it was in. They didn't like the so called "kiddy business" in a growing adult shopping center. Hence the reason it closed.

Yes i was including grapevine didn't think of its location. There is supposed to be at least one more store opened on the east side of Houston since it is a open are for GW and has been untouched(this was mentioned to me by the regional manager, as being the almost guaranteed spot).

However i have been to the Katy mills location for some tournaments and on the weekends and holidays can do extremely well so if GW did close the location down even if it is a mall location i know they are getting massive numbers of newcomers into the hobby.

JLBeady
26-03-2009, 04:11
I would love to live in Texas but I have school age children. With an idiot like Don McLeroy leading the State BOE I would fear for their future. I weep for the children of Texas.

Sorry you feel that way. I for one have no fears for my children as I make sure that whatever issues I have with the local curriculum I address with my children, though I have no issue in teaching a critical view of the theory of evolution. :angel: That said, the economic climate in Texas is the best of any large state thanks in large part to the business friendly climate (low taxes, less regulation, right to work, etc.) Cost of living is low (the price you pay for 1500 sq ft in Cali or New York will buy you 3500 sq ft in Texas if not more), and though it get's hot in the summer, the weather is benign enough that you can pretty much pursue any outdoor sport year round. :p

Maybe GW figured out that Texas really is God's country and that is why they are opening 3 store in Houston and have plans for more! :evilgrin:

souljaking09
26-03-2009, 04:20

what are you talking about? Governor Rick Perry runs this state and it is in turn one of the richest in the Union. I have no idea who Don McLeroy is.

CaliforniaGamer
26-03-2009, 06:42
what are you talking about? Governor Rick Perry runs this state and it is in turn one of the richest in the Union. I have no idea who Don McLeroy is.

Can California borrow someone who knows how to turn poor things into riches...

Templar Ben
26-03-2009, 12:28
Sorry you feel that way. I for one have no fears for my children as I make sure that whatever issues I have with the local curriculum I address with my children, though I have no issue in teaching a critical view of the theory of evolution. :angel: That said, the economic climate in Texas is the best of any large state thanks in large part to the business friendly climate (low taxes, less regulation, right to work, etc.) Cost of living is low (the price you pay for 1500 sq ft in Cali or New York will buy you 3500 sq ft in Texas if not more), and though it get's hot in the summer, the weather is benign enough that you can pretty much pursue any outdoor sport year round. :p

Maybe GW figured out that Texas really is God's country and that is why they are opening 3 store in Houston and have plans for more! :evilgrin:

I don't mind a critical view. I do mind having something that is not science being presented as a scientific alternative. We should drop that line of thought though before we lock what is otherwise a great thread.

Actually that is very sad. As I said Don is head of the State BOE (Board of Education) so that is fail 1. Then you said Perry runs the state when that shows you don't understand your own state constitution where the governor has less power than the Lt Governor. That is fail 2.

I have a lot of family in Texas and I see things like that come out of there.

JLBeady
26-03-2009, 18:28
Back on topic. Anyone have a clue about the typical amount of time that transpires from when GW announces a store opening and the store actually opens?

Does anyone think they will try to open all 3 stores simultaneously, or roll them out over several months?

Do you think the red shirts at the current stores are upset because they are going to have to paint armies for the 3 new stores so they have something to put in the cases and do demo games with?

I'm not sure there had been anywhere in the US that had some many stores been announced all at once. Is there an analog to this scenario from Great Britain that would offer some insight?

Finally, anyone care to place odds on how many of these stores are still open 1 year from now, 3 years from now, 5 years from now?

Templar Ben
26-03-2009, 19:10
Well depending on the lease structure they may lock in some great rates and have a cheap place for a few years. I don't see them closing too soon because they have to give them a chance.

JLBeady
26-03-2009, 19:45
After I made my post I went trolling on GW’s website and found www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=800003&pIndex=12&aId=3500005&start=13. Though I think the document is old and somewhat out of sync with the expansion strategy that was discussed at the shareholder’s meeting, comparing the new store openings with the current locations indicates a high degree of similarity which means that the new stores will be catering to vets and so maybe intended to draw away vets from the Katy Mills and Willowbrook locations to make way for new gamers since both are prototypical gateway stores.

shank911
26-03-2009, 23:40
The new stores will probably get one or two boards from the other stores and one of the display armies from each. That how they did it with the sugar land location.

And i expect them to be open by end of April. The Sugar land location opened in about 2 to 3 weeks after they announced and found the location for it. It was set up extremely fast, but so should the other stores since they borrow stuff from other stores and have the locations picked out already.
So all they have to do is just send the items for people to buy.

PS.

I wish every few stores over such a Sq Ft limit held some limited FW stuff for sale, would be awesome:)

souljaking09
27-03-2009, 00:25
I don't mind a critical view. I do mind having something that is not science being presented as a scientific alternative. We should drop that line of thought though before we lock what is otherwise a great thread.

Actually that is very sad. As I said Don is head of the State BOE (Board of Education) so that is fail 1. Then you said Perry runs the state when that shows you don't understand your own state constitution where the governor has less power than the Lt Governor. That is fail 2.

I have a lot of family in Texas and I see things like that come out of there.

sorry, but you are mistaken. the lieutenant governor who I happen to know is david dewhurst is elected separately and has power equivalent to that of the vice president.

Templar Ben
27-03-2009, 03:10
sorry, but you are mistaken. the lieutenant governor who I happen to know is david dewhurst is elected separately and has power equivalent to that of the vice president.

Perhaps you don't realize how little power the governor has in Texas. It is the weakest governorship in the United States. Don't take my word for it though.

http://graphics.boston.com/news/politics/campaign2000/news/Texas_governorship_provides_Bush_with_pulpit_not_p ower+.shtml

http://home.swbell.net/gr8folks/essay_4.html

http://texaspolitics.laits.utexas.edu/1_2_0.html

If you want me to teach you about the history of Texas and why they designed a constitution specifically to have a weak governor I can do that but we should do that in Random Musings and not this thread.

I thought they made you take Texas history still there.

JLBeady
28-03-2009, 05:07
Just an update. The new stores announced in Houston should be open by the end of April (assuming all goes well with the buildout) as site plans are done and of courses leases signed.

The Willowbrook store is not renewing it's lease and will be closing this year......and will be replaced by a new store opening in Tomball supposedly near the 249 bypass and FM 2920. Not sure how soon after the Willowbrook store closes, but supposedly there will be a gap between Willowbrook closing and Tomball opening.

A new store is opening in Dallas supposedly within the next 3 months, will be announced about 30 days out. No word on it's location.

Finally, Houston store # 8 will be opening in Pearland within the next 8 months.

Takitron
28-03-2009, 08:34
I thought they made you take Texas history still there.

They do, they don't make you remember it ;)

A whole lotta people just cant handle politics, it makes them glaze over.