PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on "in-box" characters

genesis873
24-03-2009, 02:29
I'm interested to know what people's thoughts are on the "in-box" characters that have been put out a few times by GW. By "in-box" I mean when they have a non-character plastic kit that comes with the parts to build a plastic character. For example, the skink priest in the stegadon kit, the options to build a master moulder from the skaven rat ogre/giant rat kit, I'm pretty sure that people have said that the plastic steam tank is supposed to come with an engineer, and there is also rumour that they might be releasing a plastic doom wheel for skaven with a plastic warlock in it.

Do you guys like this practice? Would you like to see more of it? Would you prefer to buy them seperately, or what if it was the only way to get certain character types. What if those plastic characters counted towards the amount of models released for an army (ex. they get one less character blister because the one that comes in the other kit "counts towards" the total releases for the army)

ps. To anyone who has the stegadon kit, does the skink priest (and chief?) have variable options, or does it only come with a static pose. Thanks!

Nicha11
24-03-2009, 02:37
ps. To anyone who has the stegadon kit, does the skink priest (and chief?) have variable options, or does it only come with a static pose. Thanks!

Yes they do have variabl options.

As for in-box characters, i quite like the idea means i get more bang for my buck.

nosferatu1001
24-03-2009, 10:22
The priest and chief are multipart, with lots of spares esp if you grab parts from some of the crew!

I really like them - for a stegadon you can make an ancient / normal stegadon, and finally have plastic chief and a priest. Given they are each what, 5 for the metal ones, that seems a good deal. It's also more realistic than expecting to get a multipart plastic one seperately anytime soon, like the 40k CSM lord.

badgeraddict
24-03-2009, 10:46
Its a good idea, I feel. Hopefully we shall see more of this in the future. :)

phoenixlaw
24-03-2009, 10:49
We will, theres an engineer with tonnes of options on the steam tank sprue !

snurl
24-03-2009, 11:03
The more extra parts in a kit the better, I say.

mweaver
24-03-2009, 13:34
I certainly like the idea. I enjoyed both the Empire hero and Orc hero boxes, and was disappointed that GW did not continue to release plastic hero boxes.

lybban
24-03-2009, 14:04
There is a plastic necromancer in the corpse cart box set that is really nice. Unfortunatly he is needed on the cart and I wouldnt buy one just for the mini.

Angelwing
24-03-2009, 16:29
More models and parts the better!

Lewzardman
24-03-2009, 16:33
I think they're great. All the spare parts you can easily convert another one or two characters out of them.

dannyfave
24-03-2009, 16:44
I have always made characters out of the plastic kits, GW is just making that easier now.;)

Mythrider
24-03-2009, 21:41
As others have said the more parts and options per box the better.

The number of online bitz dealers and Ebay make it very unlikely you would ever be forced to buy the whole box just to get the character parts.

However it may be more economical to just buy the whole box. As an example, I recently picked up a Space Marine commander box set from Ebay for under $5; a number of bitz dealers are selling just the weapons from that box for $8-10.

Grovel
25-03-2009, 01:09
I certainly like the idea. I enjoyed both the Empire hero and Orc hero boxes, and was disappointed that GW did not continue to release plastic hero boxes.

I like the "extra" characters added into box sets, but wish they had more plastic hero box sets like these, I think they were great, and the spare parts are awesome for conversion ect as well... I only wish that there were options to make both mounted, as I tend to prefer all characters be mounted where posible, and forcing one to be a foot slogger was a shame.

Netherghoul
25-03-2009, 01:13
extra chars and parts more then welcome

scarletsquig
25-03-2009, 04:49
I really like the idea of extra characters in the kit, and am looking forward to the extra engineer and hochland bits in the steam tank kit. Corpse cart also gives you a great-looking necromancer.

Plastic character sets aren't bad, it's just that a lot of the ones we've had so far don't look so good. The high elves got the best looking ones, and their wizard box has the all-important mounted option in it.

zoggin-eck
25-03-2009, 10:47
I like the plastic skink characters and skaven moulders showing up, as they would never have enough reason to do them on their own.

phoenixlaw
25-03-2009, 16:25
The plastic steam tank has a full engineer in it too.

Sheena Easton
25-03-2009, 17:27
I like the idea as generally the more parts you can get from a kit, the better - even if you use them as something else or for spares.

Having said that, having command pieces on spruces annoys me as there are only a small number of Champion / Standard Bearer / Musician bits I'll ever need - I'd rather have a seperate command spruce (with more options to prevent every last Champion from looking the same) or metal components (like they used to do when they started the plastic Warhammer regements)

Desert Rain
26-03-2009, 18:35
I love it, you essentially get a free character, or even possibly 2 in the Stegadon set. What's not to love?

captainramoz
27-03-2009, 15:12
I love that idea

genesis873
27-03-2009, 20:47
Any other kits like this you'd like to see? Personally I'm hoping for the doomwheel/warlock combo for skaven. A cauldren of 1000 poxes with a plague priest would be cool too.

Hvidponi
27-03-2009, 22:53
Problem with the Hero kits were, as far as I have heard, that it's alot more expensive to make the platic sprue than the metal models, and a hero box simply does not sell enough. They may sell about a box for each player playing that army, but when they make a grave guard sprue, they'll sell alot more (I bought 5!)...

Gareth Lorn
29-03-2009, 09:43
I know this isn't a Fantasy kit, but I felt I should point out that 40k gets this too, though not nearly to the degree Fantasy does.

The Imperial Guard Baneblade comes with a random officer that has some very nice arms not available elsewhere. I used one of them in a conversion of epic proportions, and was all around very giddy at getting the random extra officer. He's now my favourite model in the entire game, and could be the deciding factor between buying another Baneblade, which I don't need, or a Stormsword, which I do need (the Storm doesn't come with him).