PDA

View Full Version : Using a Monolith as a Necron Pylon

24-03-2009, 05:46
my buddy owns four monoliths and he wants to use one of them for a plyon in apocalyse, but its not modified in any way and i don't think its even painted differently, i don't really have a problem with it, but would you guys let him play it that way? could be confusing

CrownAxe
24-03-2009, 05:55
you would just have to mark it in some way

Serg. Lynchbox
24-03-2009, 07:26
Tell him to get some plastic card and lengthen it on the top. It was in an old WD but now they made it for some apoc model... is that the pylon? Well its cheap, easy to make, and you can take it off the top when your done.

Chaoschrist
24-03-2009, 10:25
The pylon is the FW model, the one you're refering to Lynch is the doomsday thing or what it's called... but that had a monolith lenghtened upwards.

ctsteel
24-03-2009, 10:36
if it's an apocalypse game, the whole point is playing for fun and doing stuff by agreement "cos it's cool". So tack some bits of paper onto the monolith to make it stand out, call it a pylon and have fun with the game.

Rick Blaine
24-03-2009, 12:14
Ask him if you can count your Land Raider as a Thunderhawk first.

Lord Malorne
24-03-2009, 12:15
Its upto you whether you allow it or not, I wouldn't.

EVIL INC
24-03-2009, 13:51
Seems to me that it would not be that hard to use card stock or foamboard to make a "tower" with slots in the top that a monolith would fit into. Decorate and paint the tower to match the monolith placed on top and the rest of the army. Presto, a nice looking pylon that he can use his monolith to make.
Of course, he could just finish up the top with more cardstock/foamboard or even an egyption style ashtray. or mummy halloween decoration.

Darnok
24-03-2009, 16:09
Personally I wouldn't allow it.

If there was no attempt whatsoever to differentiate the model, it is an absolute no-go. There should be at least some work put into it. If both of you are find with "the one 'Lith with paper wrapped around it is the Pylon", then do it.

But in the end it is really up to you. It is your game, if you are fine with it, do it - if not, then don't.

Captain Micha
24-03-2009, 16:18
my buddy owns four monoliths and he wants to use one of them for a plyon in apocalyse, but its not modified in any way and i don't think its even painted differently, i don't really have a problem with it, but would you guys let him play it that way? could be confusing

Just put a d20 or something on it to note it as different.

The thing is certainly big enough to be a plyon.

Madgear Thundaklutch
24-03-2009, 17:25
Pg. 2 of the BRB, gray box at the very top, will cover the OP's question and the negative remarks that were made in this thread.

Lord Damocles
24-03-2009, 17:49
Pg. 2 of the BRB, grey box at the very top, will cover the OP's question and the negative remarks that were made in this thread.
Aside from the 'Most Important Rule' being meant to cover RULES disputes (ie. for when you stumble into one of the cavernous holes in GW's rules), and not proxy problems, the OP specifically asked, '...would you guys let him play that way?' :rolleyes:
Besides, the 'Most Important Rule' requires consent, it's not just a free pass to do whatever you want - it's perfectly acceptable for people to disagree with what another player suggests.

Personally I'd say no. It's a Monolith. Not a Pylon - just like if somebody wanted to proxy their Land Raider with a cheeseburger I'd say no.

Either convert the Monolith like the one in the Apoc book, get a proper Pylon, or convert your own (I built my Pylon for a tenner so it needn't break the bank).

Madgear Thundaklutch
24-03-2009, 17:56
So youre saying he should go out and buy the $122 model and assemble it to see if he likes how it functions with his army/play style without proxying? wow, thats almost as lame as the OP coming here to ask people's opinions on how he should play his games....

Lord Damocles
24-03-2009, 18:01
So youre saying he should go out and buy the $122 model and assemble it to see if he likes how it functions with his army/play style without proxying? wow, thats almost as lame as the OP coming here to ask people's opinions on how he should play his games....
Erm...

Either convert the Monolith like the one in the Apoc book, get a proper Pylon, or convert your own (I built my Pylon for a tenner so it needn't break the bank).

Characters for the character limit!

SimonL
24-03-2009, 18:50
Seriously, just proxy a green Lava-lamp or something :D

Sir_Lunchalot
24-03-2009, 19:24
Sure, so long as I can count some of my Leman Russ' as Macharius super heavies, and my demolishers as Baneblades, and borrow a few SM landspeeders as Valkyries sure!

Personally, I think it's ridiculous. if it were converted at all, it woudl be a different story, but when it is not made different from his other monoliths in any way, it doesn't make sense. A certain degree of proxying can be acceptable (i.e. this predator doesn't actually have sponsons, or by the way my sentinel has smoke launchers) but when you use one of a group of identical models to represent an entirely different unit that looks in no way similar, without differentiating it, no. Why? well first there's the confusion issue "no, I thought THAT monolith was the pylon..." then theres the fact that it cheapens the investment of time and money that other players put into converting/buying the real thing.

And besides isn't there an apocalypse formation for monoliths anyways?

Serg. Lynchbox
25-03-2009, 00:48
Sorry chaoschrist. I got them mixed up (Chaos Player) I would allow him to do it for at most 2 games just to let him test and see if it's worth buying/scratch building.

@Lord Democles: I wouldn't field a landraider as a Cheeseburger I would probably drool all over the table and break my teeth eating it.
What kind of food would you proxy a Piranha? Sushi?

It made my day. Thanks

Madgear Thundaklutch
25-03-2009, 04:45

Avatar, screw what the people here say, in the end, its your game, not ours. If you are content with letting him use it for a game to see if he likes how it works, go for it. If he plans on playing it every apoc game, then you may want to push him to convert the model, or build his own :angel:

Johnnyfrej
25-03-2009, 05:53
Depends on the Apoclypse game. If it was just between friends and my pal wanted to proxy it to see how it played I wouldn't have a problem (would laugh and ask to proxy my Basilisks as Baneswords, however, just to see how it would work out ;) ). That being said, it was a GW store run Apoc game where you actually have to have the model (at least where I go), that would be a no-go.

The OP asked if we, the people of Warseer, would allow an opponent to field a completly ordinary Monolith as a Pylon. What was summitted was perfectly in line with what the OP asked. I don't see why you are being so defensive, were you the player who wanted to field the "Pylon"?

Nexus Trimean
25-03-2009, 05:58
Our club stopped alowing stuff like this, All Apoc models must be fully painted and representative. We got tired of the This Lego block is a Wartrukk. this robot toy is a stompa, and such.

but play it how you feel is okay, i woulf rather him use something else as the pylon, anyone got a spare drop pod?

if he added to it made it wbviously different i might be okay with it.

Madgear Thundaklutch
25-03-2009, 06:02
The OP asked if we, the people of Warseer, would allow an opponent to field a completly ordinary Monolith as a Pylon. What was summitted was perfectly in line with what the OP asked. I don't see why you are being so defensive, were you the player who wanted to field the "Pylon"?

No, i just don't dig other people telling other people who to play their games, nor do I really get why people come here to ask complete strangers how to play their game. :wtf:

Devil Tree
25-03-2009, 06:19
If itís just on off game to try the pylon out then I think it would be fine. If, however, my opponent wanted to take the thing all the time without any converting or painting, then I would have a problem with it.

Sir_Lunchalot
25-03-2009, 17:14
Madgear, ask question: get answer. If you don't like reading people telling other people their opinions, you may want to avoid any thread that has a question in the first post. and if I didn't want to ask complete strangers how they play the game, (or tell them how I play it) why would I be here?

Gazak Blacktoof
25-03-2009, 17:31
I would encourage your friend to get the actual model if you intend to play lots of apoc.

Counts as is obviously up to the discretion of the players involved.

I think that the only point of playing apoc is if you have lots of models you want to use and unnecessary counts as (as opposed to fun counts as) defeats the purpose. Apoc isn't a brain straining exercise its purely a visual spectacle.

Nym
25-03-2009, 18:29
I can't believe some people here would actually refuse to let him do that... I'ts not like he's asking to proxy a whole army with Legos.

@OP : if your friend wants to have fun for one or two apocalypse games, let him do that ! If he plans on doing it forever, tell him it would be a lot cooler if he actually tried to make the Monolith look like a real Pylon. After all, if he really owns 4 Monoliths, one of them is useless in regular 40k games, so converting it into a Pylon can't hurt.

isaac
25-03-2009, 20:35
Counts as is mainly for trying it out, but if you really like it and can't afford the real model, then put some effort in and make a nice looking version. A little plasticard or styrofoam can do a great job

Bunnahabhain
25-03-2009, 20:51
I'd much prefer that he makes some effort to convert it- doesn't have to be in a permanent fashion, but something that looks different, and has had some effort go into it.

Counts as for this is OK for one or two games, but not long term. Even then, if you can just find something like some Gold coloured giftwrap paper, and make a neat pyramid shaped cover, it will now be floating gold pyramid of doom, to contrast with the 3 grey floating pyramids of doom. Cost, pennies, and time involved,a few minutes.

boogle
25-03-2009, 20:54
Just so long as he makes something to differentiate it from the other monoliths (like others have said use a marker or some card), i would be more than cool with that