PDA

View Full Version : Here be dragons!

Boondock
24-03-2009, 04:54
I was recently toying around with my newly purchased Zombie Dragon and found him to be incredibly powerful. So I was toying with the idea of a 2,000 point list that includes him for tournament situations and I wanted to know a couple of things.
- Is it acceptable for a Dragon in 2000 points?
- How viable is this list?

Vampire Lord -- 715 Points
- Magic Level 3
- Zombie Dragon
- Flayed Hauberk (2+ Save)
- Wristbands of Black Gold (3+ Ward vs ranged)
- Blood Drinker (Restores wounds for every kill)
- Red Fury (Extra attacks for every kill)
- Infinite Hatred (Always Hates)
- Lord of the Dead (3+ to raise skellies)
Vampire-- 185 Points
- Dread Knight (Mounted, Lance, 2+ Save)
- Infinite Hatred (Always hates)
- Book of Arkhan (Bound lvl 3 Vanhel's Danse)
Vampire-- 175 Points
- Avatar of Death (Heavy Armor, Shield)
- Infinite Hatred (Always hates)
- Sword of Battle (+1 Attack)
- Enchanted Shield

x20 Zombies -- 80 Points
x20 Zombies -- 80 Points
x17 Skeletons -- 168 Points
- Standard

x20 Grave Guard -- 289 Points
- Standard
- Champ
- War Banner (+1 CR)

x5 Blood Knights -- 295 Points
- Standard
- Banner of Strigos (Hates)

Comes in at 1,998.

Initially it seems like a weak list to me, but the Dragon really is a beast in the few games I have played with him. Also, the list manages 7 PD and 5 DD which isn't terrible. There is no screen for the Blood Knights but I figured most missile fire will be focused on the Dragon for the one or two turns it takes to get into combat. Meanwhile, the Grave Guard with the 4 attack Vampire give a pretty decent center when surrounded by zombies and skeletons - even if not magically supported. However, I have found that even with the smaller number of PD I will manage to get off at least 2 raise spells a turn - which really, since I am not focusing on magic, is just a bonus.

SevenSins
24-03-2009, 09:07
You have over 50% of your points in characters, and the rest is essentially 2 elite units (GG and BK), won't win you friends ;)

That dragon lord hits like a ton of bricks thats for sure, but seems ott in 2000.
In my regular 2000 lists I have few things to take him out, but the BK would easily have been frenzied away I think...

Boondock
24-03-2009, 18:09
Yeah, my hope is that the Book of Arkhan can help to protect the BK from being frenzied into a situation that doesn't favor them.

Boondock
24-03-2009, 22:06
***bump***

Boondock
25-03-2009, 17:43
Come on guys, I am genuinely looking for some feedback on this list.

Malorian
25-03-2009, 17:48
Lord of the dead seems pointless on the lord given that he is going to be flying away from the skeletons.

The second vampire seems to be a lot of points for nothing. You give him a cheap 3+ save, then drop it to a 4+ give +1 attack, and then bump it back up to 3+ by adding the enchanted shield. Do you really think that +1 attack is worth 30 points?

Boondock
25-03-2009, 20:20
Well, at first I thought that yeah it would be a waste. As it turns out though, with the skeletons marching 8" on the first turn, and my dragon likely being at the center of the table (to go either way) he is usually within 18" to raise and can actually be a big help with 3-5 dice needing 3's.

I'm not sure what you mean about the second vamp. Normal avatar of death is a 4+ save with shield which isn't downgraded by the sword of battle. Giving him the enchanted shield pushes that 4+ to a 3+ and provides 2+ in combat (which is where he needs it). Unless I am miscalculating a heavy armor/shield combination I think the 3+/2+ save at 4 attacks is worth it. Opinions on that are welcome though.

Malorian
25-03-2009, 20:23
You don't get the handweapon shield bonus with a magical weapon. You can get it with enchanted shield and handweapon, but once you throw a magical weapon in there then it doesn't work.

Boondock
25-03-2009, 20:53
Interesting. I was not aware of that. I could drop Infinite Hatred and the Sword of Battle freeing up 40 points, give him Walking Death (giving the grave guard an automatic +2 CR with War Banner) and with the remaining 15 points give him the Black Periapt to make my magic defense or offense a little more able. Alternatively, I suppose I could drop the Enchanted Shield, keeping the Sword of Battle, and add the Black Periapt.

The former option gives me a 3+ AS in combat, 3 attacks (2 avg hit, ~2 avg wound, ~1 kill) and +1 CR automatic. The latter gives me a 4+ AS in combat, 4 attacks (~4 avg hit, ~3 avg wound, ~2 kill).

What do you think? The goal of the vampire is to make the Grave Guard (which while one hell of a tarpit, risks not doing very many wounds) an overpowering block of infantry which will break nearly any enemy unit.

Malorian
25-03-2009, 20:58
Personally I'd go for the more defensive build.

Another nice one would be to make him a BSB, then give him dreadknight and walking death (assuming you can put together the model).

This way you have the 2+ save, get an extra attack from the horse, and +2 static CR.

Boondock
25-03-2009, 21:03
Yeah...

I can't currently field a BSB, but it's something that I will think about since I already toyed with the idea. How then do you feel about the overall performance of the list assuming I exchange the vampire on foot for the 3+ save, +1 CR vampire?

Malorian
25-03-2009, 21:07
I'm sure it would do ok.

Just look out for armies with enough firepower to drop that dragon and you'll do fine ;)

CaliforniaGamer
25-03-2009, 21:08
first off, ya, your lord has a dragon but also LotD?? how is he going to be in 18" range of the skeles if he is flying around in combat having dragon fun?

personally I dont like blood drinker on the dragon, see other thread.

I ALWAYS include a bsb in a VC list, the -1 casualty from CR is invaluable.