PDA

View Full Version : Dozer Blade

electricwolf
24-03-2009, 13:14
I was stripping a chimera i recently bought last night and i was wondering something. The Dozer blade on the front is huge and covers most of the front of the vehicle so why does it not confer an increase in the front armour?

Anything shot at the front would have to go through the dozer blade first before hitting the front of the vehicle.

EVIL INC
24-03-2009, 13:40
I have to agree with you as I have always thought that a dozer blade should give a +1 to front armor.
Buuuut, that is not the case. We make do with what we have and accept stuff like that that we dont agree with. Alternatively, you could have house rules to account for that and upp the points in "in house" game

The Clairvoyant
24-03-2009, 13:50
Its probably a hold-over from the old days. Has the chimera model been updated since it was first created? If not, well the old dozer blade rules in 2nd ed (when the model was created) allowed you to ignore the first penetrating hit on the front armour, which accounts for its huge size. if it has been updated, ignore me as i clearly have no idea what i'm on about :D

EVIL INC
24-03-2009, 13:55
It is not just the chimera, look at the ones provided for the vindicaters.

loveless
24-03-2009, 14:35
It is not just the chimera, look at the ones provided for the vindicaters.

The Vindicators have access to a special Dozer Blade that is essentially Dozer Blade++. I believe it's also described that the Siege Shield/Dozer Blade combo on the Vindicator doubles as extra armour in the background for it. This isn't much of a note, since Vindicator models already have extra armour on them, but it somewhat fits the OP.

Long story short, the Vindicator's not a great example since it has a Siege Shield instead.

Pacific
24-03-2009, 14:49
Aye, the dozer provided extra protection in 2nd ed. (which was why virtually every tank had them). It was just one of the many extra rules which went the way of the dodo with 3rd edition, although in part I think its a good thing. The 2nd edition rule was too powerful, and consider that in most cases any weapon powerful enough to punch though inches of latticed ceramite, or whatever they use in 40k tanks, isnt going to be stopped by a dozer blade.

Bunnahabhain
24-03-2009, 15:05
Lots of the time, my dozer blades have been counts as extra armour, as they are so large, and it's the best looking way to model it EA, so they do effectively increase your armour, especially as they cover the traditionally vulnerable lower hull so well.

Mitheral
27-03-2009, 04:31
I was stripping a chimera i recently bought last night and i was wondering something. The Dozer blade on the front is huge and covers most of the front of the vehicle so why does it not confer an increase in the front armour?

Anything shot at the front would have to go through the dozer blade first before hitting the front of the vehicle.

A dozer blade is what, 5 points? Extra armour is triple that and doesn't give a upgrade to armour values. Dozer blades would need to cost 30-40 points at least for them to be balanced with a +1 front armour. At which point no one would take them.

From a realism point of view maybe mounting the blade weakens the front armour so it breaks even.

Besides, vindicators/predators would end up with 14 front armour. That doesn't seem balanced at all.

ehlijen
27-03-2009, 04:52
The way the dozer blades are attached, one could argue that while they provide cover, they also act as a funnel for the force of incoming attacks: the IG ones are only connected to the tank via two beams that connect to the belly of the tank, where the armour is traditionally the weakest. So any hit on the blade of significant power to hurt the front armour would be partially directed into a tearing motion towards the bolts holding the blade to the belly of the tank, negating the benefit of the extra protection. Maybe. Or something.

warchild9
27-03-2009, 05:01
check out the FW repressor dozerblade now that is a dozerblade

massey
27-03-2009, 05:03
In real life, a dozer attachment wouldn't be made of armor, but of regular steel. It's purpose isn't to deflect attacks, but to move rubble out of the way. Also, a dozer blade wouldn't actually be positioned properly to deflect most attacks (it would be too low). Sure, a few shots might be stopped, but those would be hitting the thickest part of the tank armor anyway.

The Highwayman
27-03-2009, 08:04
I don't think dozer blades should not add to the armour of a vechile as it's not their job. As it's already been said, a dozerblades job is to allow the tank to smash through terrain. If you want to represent it as giving extra cover to the tank, just buy extra armour for the tank, and say you are representing it through the dozer blade.

Mojaco
27-03-2009, 08:52
AV14 vehicles can take them. Should they get AV15? Nope.