PDA

View Full Version : GW blizting Houston

JLBeady
24-03-2009, 16:09
GW just announced that it is opening up 6 new stores (in contrast to the seemingly numerous amount of store closings) in the US. The oddest bit of this news is that 3 are being opened in one city, Houston, which already has 4 stores, one of which opened last June. Especially odd because there is only 1 GW store outside of Houston in the state despite Texas having 3 of the 10 largest cities in the US. Two of the new stores are located about 10 miles from a current store and are located in strip malls. Of those two, one is located within 2 miles of two very new (both opened in the last 5 years) and large high schools (with approximately 3,000 students ea) and about 5 miles from a 15,000 student community college campus. The openings seem to be inline with the store opening strategy that was discussed at the GW shareholder meeting.

Of course I canít help but wonder if this means one or two of the current stores will be closing (Katy Mills and Willowbrook). If neither store closes, that means Houston will have 7 stores. Can a battle bunker be far behind?

Templar Ben
24-03-2009, 16:21
I am surprised Houston doesn't have a bunker.

CaliforniaGamer
24-03-2009, 16:34
7 stores?? that is more than the entire STATE of California.

Doesnt make sense to me, our nerd quotient here is off the charts (home of Google, people who play D&D in board meetings for start up companies, general ubernerdiness of all sorts..) Heck, my corporate attorneys all play Warhammer, D&D and other nerdy fantasy games together.

JLBeady
24-03-2009, 18:26
I'll agree it seems like a kick to the groin for a lot of people, especially those in California and those poor blokes in Memphis who went from having a battle bunker to having no GW store or indie within 100 miles overnight.

Houston however is woefully underserved by indies. The only decent indie I know over is on the Southeast side of town close to 50 miles from where I live on the northwest side (Houston sprawls like LA), and would take like 1 1/2 to two hrs to get to on an average day.

The fact that I will soon have 3 GW's within 15 minutes drive or less is unreal, especially given the GW's retail coverage or lack thereof in other locals.

Psychopomp
24-03-2009, 18:26
Houston has a large customer base for GW products, but none of the independent retailers have play space. If GW wants people playing their games (barring home tables) they're having to provide the play areas in Houston.

I have to admit, I'm excited. One of the new stores is opening about 5-10 minutes away from me, whereas all the others are 30 - 40 minutes in various directions. I might actually get to play a few games now and then...perhaps even participate in a league or two.

Templar Ben
24-03-2009, 19:06
I'll agree it seems like a kick to the groin for a lot of people, especially those in California and those poor blokes in Memphis who went from having a battle bunker to having no GW store or indie within 100 miles overnight.

Houston however is woefully underserved by indies. The only decent indie I know over is on the Southeast side of town close to 50 miles from where I live on the northwest side (Houston sprawls like LA), and would take like 1 1/2 to two hrs to get to on an average day.

The fact that I will soon have 3 GW's within 15 minutes drive or less is unreal, especially given the GW's retail coverage or lack thereof in other locals.

Did the Memphis Bunker close?

There is an indie in North Mississippi called the Gamerz Depot.

BigBadBull
24-03-2009, 19:38
Memphis BB closed on the 20th or so...
The warehouse is still there due to the proximity of the Fedex hub.
So no retail store there, and there are some rumblings about the last GW store in ATL also closing, but there are a ton of good LGS in the Atl metro area.

Templar Ben
24-03-2009, 19:42
I went and found the thread on it. Sadly it was not in Other GW and instead in 40K.

Birmingham doesn't have much either. I remember Empire Comics but not much else.

I wonder where those tables went. Not so much the tops but the tables themselves. They were made out of 4"x4" legs with 2"x12" sides. Very nice.

Cane
24-03-2009, 21:00
What the blazes!

Where's the love for the Alamo city?!? Although San Antonio does have a handful of good tabletop supporting stores complete with boards to play upon. One such store seems solely dedicated to GW and is more or less a large room with ten-twenty tabletops.

Ah well not like I'd buy much anyway from a LGS.

Eldanar
28-03-2009, 20:13
Birmingham doesn't have much either. I remember Empire Comics but not much else.

Empire is the only store that has in-store gaming. You can also buy stuff at Nords, 2 Hobbytowns and Gamer Headz.

IIRC, doesn't Texas, particularly in and around Houston, have a very large gaming community?

doombanner
29-03-2009, 16:13

It may have something to do with the demographics. The GW Battle Bunker and one (?) of the other stores is in the OC, which is a very affluent, conservative community. The rest are in similarly upscale malls.

Maybe there's nowhere else to expand to, or they think they've done enough to push GW in California.

Or maybe there's no indepent hobby shops doing well enough for GW to open a store next to... :evilgrin:

~Doom Banner

Dexter099
01-04-2009, 01:58
There must be a gigantic hobby thingy going on in Houston, considering that two GW employees started their own store down the street, and both the GW store plus the new IR store are doing incredibly well. (Azgard games)

Aaron, the manager at GW Rice Village, told me that a Battle Bunker would be soon to follow if the stores do well. He also said that the stores would be opening in the Westside (and memorial?) area.

remember, guys, Houston is a business city with plenty of jobs, so it's like a money tree for GW.

JLBeady
01-04-2009, 03:31
I posted this on the other thread about the new stores, but here is the scoop.

The 3 new stores will open by end of April assumng buildout goes okay.

The Willowbrook store is not renewing it's lease and will close and relocate to Tomball at 249 and FM 2920 intersection.

A new store is slated to open in Pearland in the next 8 months. That will bring Houston to 8 stores by end of year.

A new store will open in Dallas within 3 months.

A memorial store makes sense but apparently the Pearland store comes first. Anyway, I think it's at least two years before a battle bunker opens. By the way, the regional mgr's office (she works out of her car right now) will be at the Copperwood location (Hwy 6 and FM 529)

Dexter099
03-04-2009, 05:06
Good for them, finally milking those richer suburb areas. Ironically, 2 GW employees broke off from GW and founded their own very successful store becaus ethey didn't like the regional manager.