PDA

View Full Version : Orks Codex Question

newfiegod
24-03-2009, 17:13
I recently just started this hobby and not knowing what I was doing I purchased a copy of orks codex off of ebay. After I purchased it I noticed it was what I think is a 3rd edition. My question is .....is this still useable or is it too out of date? From what I was able to find it should be still useable but i'm not sure.

Ubermensch Commander
24-03-2009, 17:15
If it is a third edition book then it is in fact out of date. You will have to go out and pick up the latest copy. It's cover looks like this

http://www.escapefromreality.co.uk/images/products/codexorcs.gif

DarthSte
24-03-2009, 17:19
The army list in that book is in the same format as current codices. You'd probably be at a disadvantage (tactically) using it. And you probably would only be able to use it in "friendlies", I doubt they'd let you use it in your local store... (I'd have no problems with you using it, certainly at least until you got to grips with the system and were sure you wanted to commit to the game - there are people out there who still play with 2nd edition rules...)

newfiegod
24-03-2009, 17:22
I plan om massing a space marine army so the codex is only really a guide to equalling out the orks army for home play with my son.

victorpofa
24-03-2009, 22:35
Definitely get the new book. The old one has some nice stuff, but the latest book was designed to work with a more recent version of the rules, and the designers knew what most of the 5th edition changes were when writing it. And you can get a lot more Orks for your points these days.

Use the color section for inspiration, though. The scratch built battlewagon on page 32 is still awesome all these years later.

Corrode
24-03-2009, 22:44
I plan om massing a space marine army so the codex is only really a guide to equalling out the orks army for home play with my son.

Feel free to use it in your own home, or against friends. It's not very good though. ;)

If at any point you end up playing strangers (I'm not sure how old your son is, so this may or may not apply) or in a Games Workshop store you would most likely be expected to use the most recent codex - it replaces the old one. I'd write off the first purchase as a simple mistake and get the new one. (the first one has some cool stuff in modelling-wise though).