PDA

View Full Version : The Magnificent Host 2000pts

Kai Itzah
24-03-2009, 17:49
Okiedoke, so when reading the Warriors of Chaos army book I came across the special character called Sigvald the Magnificent. Upon showing this to my mainly 40k brother he instantly fell in love with the character (with the explanation of, who wouldn't?) and decided to possibly play a Warriors of Chaos army based around him. So, I decided to write up a quick list, dubbed the Magnificent Host and post it up here (having little to no experience with WoC). Behold, and don't be crazy and suggest I get rid of the stupid and immensely expensive Sigvald.

LORDS - Sigvald the Magnificent.

HEROES - Chaos Sorcerer
Mark of Slaanesh
Level 2 Upgrade
Dispel Scroll
Spell Familiar
Chaos Steed

CORE - 24 Chaos Marauders
Mark of Slaanesh
Light Armour
Shields
Flails
Chieftain
Standard Bearer
Musician

6 Marauder Horsemen
Mark of Slaanesh
Shields
Throwing Axes
Musician

6 Marauder Horsemen
Mark of Slaanesh
Shields
Throwing Axes
Musician

6 Chaos Warhounds

6 Chaos Warhounds

SPECIAL - 17 Chosen
Mark of Slaanesh
Shields
Champion w/ Helm of Many Eyes
Standard Bearer w/ Blasted Standard
Musician

5 Chaos Knights
Mark of Slaanesh
Lances (Do these count as magical?)
Champion
Standard Bearer w/ Rapturous Standard
Musician

RARE - Chaos Warshrine
Mark of Slaanesh

Monsterzonk
24-03-2009, 18:54
Looks like a decent and well balanced list. Should be fun to play with and against!
However, I would suggest combining the two Marauder units into one big one of 24 guys with full command. And drop the scaly skin from the Warhounds. It's not worth the points...

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

Kai Itzah
24-03-2009, 19:33
Thanks for the tips Monsterzonk, allowed me to see the flaw in using the Marauders. Being a Lizardman player, I quite surprisingly stupidly thought you could use them like cheap (well, cheaper, seriously WS4 4pt troops!?) throwaway Skinks, ignoring the fact that with M4 they wouldn't play that role too well :P I didn't completely agree with the Warhounds mainly because with six points left that's pretty much all I could get, but in getting the Full Command I ended up 2pts over. Unfortunately this leaves me 4pts under with no way of spending those last four points :(

- Edited changes into the original post.

akgaroth
24-03-2009, 19:42
I don't think that the Infernal puppet is worth if you don't use a heavy magic list and it'll help no more than once in the battle, if you're lucky, against heavy magic lists. Instead of that, try to boost your magic defences.
Also, I wouldn't make horsemen units that costy: they're an excellent fast cavalry but they die like flies against ranged attacks/charges. Finally, I'm in the opinion that hounds work better in units of 5.

Kai Itzah
24-03-2009, 20:43
Thanks for your recommendations akgaroth. I've decided to replace the Infernal Puppet with a Dispel Scroll and take the Flails off the Marauder Horsemen. With the spare points I've added another unit of 6 Warhounds, unless anyone has a better idea on how to spend the points. Speaking of which, my units are in 6s because it's a Slaaneshi army.

Hmm actually I'm not so sure about getting rid of the Flails on the Horsemen, they are rather useful...in advice in this regard?

Btw, here is the list my brother wrote, out of the two, which is stronger? I have a nagging feeling the Knights and Shrine spam is gonna make you say his one :P

Sigvald the Magnificent

Chaos Sorcerer
2 Dispel Scrolls

Exalted Hero
Chaos Runesword
Shield

20 Chaos Marauders
Mark of Slaanesh

5 Marauder Horsemen
Spears
Shields

5 Marauder Horsemen
Spears
Shields

15 Chaos Warriors
Shields
FC
Blasted Standard
Mark of Slaanesh

5 Chaos Knight
Champion
Standard Bearer

5 Chaos Knights
Champion
Standard Bearer

Chaos Warshrine
Chaos Warshrine

P.S. Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know whether the Chosen models come with a weapon other than Halberds?

akgaroth
24-03-2009, 20:57
I like both lists, even if the second list is probably more competitive (though I'll never run my WoC without hounds ...).
The chosens come only with great weapons (here's a conversion article: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=400023&pIndex=1&aId=10000005&start=2 )

Kai Itzah
24-03-2009, 21:16
I was afraid you were going to say that :P

Thanks for the link btw, the models just looked more like Halberds than Great Weapons. Also, that article said you could use Halberds with Shields, and yet Halberds require two hands. What's that about?

EDIT: Also, I'm not quite certain about getting the second unit of Warhounds, four units of that type seems a bit overkill. Alternative suggestions?

Kai Itzah
25-03-2009, 15:32
After double-checking my army list to see if I had any spare points, I realised I had over-priced the Chosen by 19pts. Then, I quickly realised that if I took out a single unit of Warhounds I could get a Chaos Spawn with the extra points. What do you guys think about this choice? Realistically, if I didn't take the Spawn I would have 19pts left there unless I decided to get an odd Chosen...which I don't want to do because I preferably want my units in sixes.

Witchblade
25-03-2009, 16:25
If you have both halberds and shields, you need to choose what equipment to choose at the start of each combat. E.g. halberds or shields + hand weapons.

Kai Itzah
26-03-2009, 13:26
Thanks for the help Witchblade. Hmm, that actually gives me an extra option. So at the moment with the 19pts it's:

+17 Halberds.

OR

- 6 Warhounds.
+ 1 Chaos Spawn.

Votes? Bearing in mind I'm kind of leaning towards the Spawn because getting 12 Warhounds is a ***** in terms of models.