PDA

View Full Version : Flavors of Chaos:Slaanesh

Wraithseer
24-03-2009, 20:09
After looking at my other thread about building slaanesh guard I thought I would ask a question to everyone on warseer.

My question is how do you play or model slaanesh and why? Even if you don't play chaos how do you think Slaaneshi things should look?

My views on Slaanesh are not hard to find, I was one of the guys that helped Daniel come up with some ideas on how to sculpt the forgeworld keeper of secrets. I believe that Slaanesh is best represented in details; the pose of a model and the textures used are important. Color is also a big part of how I portray slaaneshi things, dark rich colors like purple and black contrasting with white seems do work well....Yea I am one of those anti-tenticle pink heretics. Chains are also a good Slaaneshi icon because they are used in both jewelry and in domination, a duality that fits well with the selfish luxury theme of some slaanesh creatures. My thought has always been that subtle but pervasive themes of decadence work better than extreme sexual perversity, but that is just my opinion.

So tell me warseer, Whats your pleasure?:skull:

Legionary
24-03-2009, 20:16
Slaaneshi models, to me, are best represented with pale skin, beautiful, thin, long hair, lustful but quite mad. I'm having none of these hideous mutations or ugly daemons. Other intrepetations of Slaanesh are possible and followed by GW's sculptors, but to me they're not a pure representation of Slaanesh.

Edit: and further to Slaanesh as crazy sexual deviance - I think it's not a great thing to do with miniatures. Slaanesh has always been a very seductive god in my view. Cults spring up as people are drawn into indulgence of whatever kind, they don't walk around wearing leather chaps, nipple clamps and being whipped by daemons - that is what they're eventually corrupted into enjoying, it's not something that they'd do in public, or in my view on the battlefield.

Trench_Raider
24-03-2009, 20:18
Well, Slann should be green and very froggy looking. Oh! That's not what you meant! ;)

But seriously...

I'm something of a heretic when it comes to how Slaaneshi marines should look. I hate the uniformity of today's chaos armies and the pink and black painjob that most people use is in my opinon just ugly.

I just today finished repainting my old Slaanesh Chaos Renegade force. It follows the fluff and photos of painted models that were featured in the "Realm of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness" book. Each model is painted as an individual and they are a riot of bright or pastel colors. The final effect is in my opinion very striking and certainly unique. Certainly my almost exclusive use of the RT CSM models with their wild mutations and distinctive look add to this. I will have to take a couple of photos of finished project and post them...but as i have stated before, I'm not much of a photographer.

TR

Obake123
24-03-2009, 20:23
I thought the best Slaaneshi scheme I ever saw was from White Dwarf waaaaaaaaaay back. It was a series of Rever Titans from the Epic game, each done in a different pastel shade (blue, yellow, pink) it looked fantastic!

Reaver83
24-03-2009, 20:24
guitars, lots of guitars....

Wraithseer
24-03-2009, 20:27
Hmm, and what models would you use? the only long silky hair model is Sigvald. Can't say I really like that model, the pose is all wrong and it lacks the "wrongness" that i think is important. I have always liked Juan's Daemonettes, they are strange but still attractive, important for a creature that inspires revulsion and arousal in equal parts. In my opinion the newer sculpts need a little more in the curves department.

Trench_Raider
24-03-2009, 21:07
I thought the best Slaaneshi scheme I ever saw was from White Dwarf waaaaaaaaaay back. It was a series of Rever Titans from the Epic game, each done in a different pastel shade (blue, yellow, pink) it looked fantastic!

That was the look I tried to emulate with my new/old Slaanesh army. Last night I was letting some of the models' varnish dry on the kitchen table and Mrs. Trench Raider made the comment "Those guys would look more in place in someone's Easter basket than on a battlefield". That's when I knew I had gotten the look right!

guitars, lots of guitars....

AAaKKKK!
Please say it aint so. The original "Rawk and ROLL!!1!!" Noise marines were a joke article from an ancient WD that sadly got taken seriously and stayed in the fluff. Whoever came up with that one should be flogged.

TR

Legionary
24-03-2009, 21:58
Hmm, and what models would you use? the only long silky hair model is Sigvald. Can't say I really like that model, the pose is all wrong and it lacks the "wrongness" that i think is important. I have always liked Juan's Daemonettes, they are strange but still attractive, important for a creature that inspires revulsion and arousal in equal parts. In my opinion the newer sculpts need a little more in the curves department.

Personally I think Sigvald is fantastic. That's exactly how I see Slaaneshi champions being - young and beautiful. The dark thing about Slaanesh comes from the contrast between the aesthetics he prizes and the depraved excesses that his cults engage in. Exposed breasts and leather straps are, to me, just lazy; a short of a visual shorthand - "oh this must be Slaanesh, it has a boob showing!".

As to what miniatures, I'd see a true Slaaneshi force as necessitating a load of conversions from the entire range of GW miniatures. Slaanesh, to GW sculptors, seems to mean "add boobs"!

Roachcoach
24-03-2009, 22:02
I'm in the camp that a true slaaneshi minon should be whatever the behold would be weak to.

A marine wouldnt see the same 'vision' of a slaanehsi warrior as say, a guardsman or an orc even if you lined them up and looked at the same one.

Mind you, that's hard to model XoD

djinn8
24-03-2009, 22:38
I'm with the "don't need boobs" camp. It's all a bit silly really. But to say that this is the only way that GW attempt to put Slaanesh across is the minatures is wrong. Take a look at Fabius Bile or Lucious - both horrific perversions of Slannesh without the need for sexual suggestion. Fabius has been perverted by his obsessive desire to perfect the astartes genetic code and Lucius perverted by his desire to perfect his own ego.

This is the true face of Slaanesh - perversion through the obsessive pursuit of perfection.

Some real world examples could be a weightlifters who distort themselves with steroids and exercise routines into hulking monstrosities. Anarexics (sp?) who no matter how much they starve themselves and no matter dangerously thin they become see nothing but ugly obbesity in the mirror. WoW players who forfit bathing and eating so they can level there Paladins.

Oh, one more... How about Warhammer players who try to collect an entire chapter of marines, resulting in empty wallets, angry sposes and boxes and boxs of unpainted unassembled figures under their bed. Couldn't this be considered a trait of perversion through the obsessive pursuit of perfection?

On a sub note does anyone else agree that this guy is a rip of Fabius Bile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsTx8Mt9r8

Col. Tartleton
24-03-2009, 22:56
No, The "Devil Doctor" has been around for ever. At least since Mengele.

Besides he seems just as much a Haemunculus as an apothecary.

Industrial Propaganda
25-03-2009, 00:42
On a sub note does anyone else agree that this guy is a rip of Fabius Bile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsTx8Mt9r8

Doctor Satan from House of 1000 Corpses rocks ! :D
But I never understand what he says...

adreal
25-03-2009, 01:08
To me, slaanesh is about the excess, in the sexual and without it. I mean look at fiends of slaanesh, they have boobs (sexual) but are also twisted and wrong so you can;t find them sexual. Yes there should be some sexual notions with slaanesh stuff, but there is also gluttony, greed and other things.

Also torture, I feel slaanesh worshipers would keep bringing thier victims back so they can experince the thill of torture again and again, untill they begin to like that. Then a new way of torture will be introduced (hell it probs wont just be the victims, slaanesh worshipers would be up on the racks right next to them)

Anything that is shocking would fit with slaanesh I feel, but GW has just gone with the easiest (boobs)

Serg. Lynchbox
25-03-2009, 01:27
I think it involves with most models... mutilation (self?) and noise. Those loud blastmasters. The main thing would be anyone who wants to enhance their sensations and/or senses (is that the same?) You need slaves, some sexuality. I like the fact that everyone has their own desires and that is why Slaanesh is the key for their hunger for it. Power,beauty,strength,sex,money,enhance one self, drugs, and Rock N Roll!

Lord-Caerolion
25-03-2009, 01:45
Slaanesh shouldn't have so much focus on sexuality, in my mind. It's why I love the new Daemonettes, they're disturbing, yet can have that strange allure to them.
In regards to other Slaaneshi stuff, Silent Hill can provide some good inspiration, in particular Silent Hill 2 and 5, both of which theme the monsters around subconcious desires. Want some Slaaneshi Plaguebearers? Convert up some Lying Figures, manifestations of masochism and a desire for pain (not what they represent in the game, but its a fitting enough description for what such daemons would represent).

Wraithseer
25-03-2009, 02:31
to much self mutilation and you cross over in to hellraiser territory, don't get me wrong hellraiser is a very slaaneshi move, but it is only one facet taken to the extreme. Sadomasochism is in a way just as over used as the put a boob on it mentality, it is crude causes instant reaction and is easy to sculpt.
Has anyone made a more insidious army? one that at first glance does not seem to be slaaneshi at all but if you really look at it the subtle nuances come out?

Noise marines can survive all of the bizarre needs of a long time slaanesh worshiper because of their space marine bodies, cultists would be less extreme and more inviting, but thats just my two cents.