PDA

View Full Version : Which army books do you believe will be redone during 7th edition?

Avian
13-12-2005, 14:32
Not on the list are the Dwarfs (who are almost here), the Orcs & Goblins (who are pretty much confirmed) or any army that didn't get an army book in 6th edition.

Basically it's a question of who you think will get a redo and who will be considered fine and just get the odd extra model now and then.

Sylass
13-12-2005, 14:38
I added Ogre Kingdoms to the poll. ;)

I think Empire is a very safe bet for getting a new army book during the next edition.

On top of that I'm really hoping for a new VC army book & miniature range...

Tim
13-12-2005, 14:40
They will all get redos, the question is when not if, also expect one new army, my hope is for chaos dwarfs.

Adept
13-12-2005, 14:42
All of them. Even Dwarves. Because endlessly re-releasing army lists and game editions is GW's modus operandi. No army is exempt from this process.

Avian
13-12-2005, 14:49
I was talking about during 7th edition, not which armies will get a redo some time in the far future. Obviously an edition doesn't last forever (v6 will last 6 years, apparently) and they can't redo all armies during that time, nor is there neccesary and need to redo them all.

I don't think the Bretonnians are going to get a redo, for example. Almost the entire range is new and the odd extra plastic set can be snuck in the same way they snuck in some new units with the Lustria book.

Adept
13-12-2005, 14:55
I was talking about during 7th edition

So was I. GW won't pass up a cash-cow like this. Every army will get a new book, and (at least some) new models in seventh edition. Mark my words.

Hlokk
13-12-2005, 15:08
I voted for the first 5, as these seem to be the ones in most desperate need of an overhaul (Being the oldest/most broken/whinged about)

I think we'll see the following:

1: Empire modified to allow variant army lists for different parts of the empire. Possably with the option to allow customisable knightly orders as well (WD rules may well be a trial run, ala mordheim)

2: Dark elves modified to allow city guard units, slaaneshi cults and (God willing) massive slave units. Probably have lower points costs for warriors.

3: High elves having a modified "Intregue at court" rule, possably only being applicable if there are no Lords in the army (How like GW is it to admit they've made a mistake? ;) They won't remove it)

4: Skaven will probably get the Dwarf treatment, in that they'll get a slight tweeking (Ratling guns etc...). Also hope we get offical variant lists (Eshin, Moulder etc...) in there in their fullness.

5: Vampire Counts: Never played these, so don't know whats wrong with them or whats wight with them (Get it? :p )

6: as much as I'd hate to see it, I think we're going to see yet another Chaos book, probably a re-vamp of the hordes of Chaos book. I expect to see hellcannon being integrated and the whole range being given a covering with the KEWL!!!111!one! stick

7: Probably something we dont have at the moment. I'd guess DoW or somesuch.

Avian
13-12-2005, 15:12
4: Skaven will probably get the Dwarf treatment, in that they'll get a slight tweeking (Ratling guns etc...).
Uh, if you have read the Dwarf book you'll see that it basically involves everything getting either cheaper or better or both. :p

Crube
13-12-2005, 15:19
I voted for the first 5, as these seem to be the ones in most desperate need of an overhaul (Being the oldest/most broken/whinged about)

I think we'll see the following:

1: Empire modified to allow variant army lists for different parts of the empire. Possably with the option to allow customisable knightly orders as well (WD rules may well be a trial run, ala mordheim)

2: Dark elves modified to allow city guard units, slaaneshi cults and (God willing) massive slave units. Probably have lower points costs for warriors.

3: High elves having a modified "Intregue at court" rule, possably only being applicable if there are no Lords in the army (How like GW is it to admit they've made a mistake? ;) They won't remove it)

4: Skaven will probably get the Dwarf treatment, in that they'll get a slight tweeking (Ratling guns etc...). Also hope we get offical variant lists (Eshin, Moulder etc...) in there in their fullness.

5: Vampire Counts: Never played these, so don't know whats wrong with them or whats wight with them (Get it? :p )

6: as much as I'd hate to see it, I think we're going to see yet another Chaos book, probably a re-vamp of the hordes of Chaos book. I expect to see hellcannon being integrated and the whole range being given a covering with the KEWL!!!111!one! stick

7: Probably something we dont have at the moment. I'd guess DoW or somesuch.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Hlokk has to say, although I would add that some of the VC models do need a revamp (heh - i made a funny) especialy some of the va,mpires themselves, nd the black coach...

As for somehting different, dare we hope for Chaos Dwarfs....:rolleyes:

Thought not...

i cant see Brets, OKs Wood Elves or Dwarfs getting a new book / models for 7th edition, although the release of some of the newer models may cross over. Specifically if any Dwarf stuff isnt released with the bulk of the rest (in the smae way the Elf Stag hasnt been released at the same time as the rst of the elf stuff...

Lathaine
13-12-2005, 15:32
I find it odd that most of you don't think the Bretonnians will get a rewrite. They were the last of the purely 6th edition armies and, if rumors of new magic and CR modifiers are true, will be in need of a rewrite when 7th edition comes out just like all the other armies. Not to mention, the Brets seem to be getting more popular and I can't see GW not exloiting a potential cash cow by hyping it.

Cpt. Drill
13-12-2005, 15:33
ELVES and SKAVEN!!!

m1s1n
13-12-2005, 15:43
I don't see any particular army being left out of a re-write. I imagine some of the "newer" releases will take a little bit for a re-write, but none the less they should be getting a revision sometime during 7th.

Keller
13-12-2005, 15:48
Well, I know Empire will be getting a rewrite, and probably fairly early since I am getting close to finishing off all of my figures. Just when I want to get back to work on my other armies, I will have to be doing more to fill out the ranks of the Empire for the new book.

I'd like to see VC redone, and its about the only reason I am holding onto my army at this point. I have lost much of my interest in playing the current VC, as they are just too easy to play and win with. Hopefully they will be more fun next time around. Gotta love the feel to the army though.

I imagine HE will be getting quite the overhual. With DE's not-to-long-ago revision, I don't think they will get redone, atleast not at right away.

Hlokk
13-12-2005, 15:52
Uh, if you have read the Dwarf book you'll see that it basically involves everything getting either cheaper or better or both. :p
What I was gettin at was that their fairly ok as it is, they don't need that much in the way of a radical rules overhaul (Like the tau from 40k)

I'd expect them to be among the next 3 army books out for WHFB

Sir Charles
13-12-2005, 17:22
They will redo them all the same as with the sixth edition and the as they appear to be doing in 40K. To not redo them all would be to missout on the money the could make as said and would **** of those who don't get a spiffy new army book.

Hlokk
13-12-2005, 18:57
Its not all about money mate, some (Not a lot, i'll admit) is done out of enjoyment for the hobby. Thats why I reckon were going to see a DoW army book sometime in the next 3-4 years.

Sir Charles
13-12-2005, 20:29
Yes the hobby part is also part of it, thus the "they would **** of the people whos armies don't get new books" comment. I know I'd be angry if they ignored my army for an entire edition.

starlight
13-12-2005, 20:39
Every. Single. One.:rolleyes:

GW makes it's money on selling things. It will take the opportunity each Edition to re-release each Army with (at least some) new minis and a new book. If you question this, take a gander at 4th Ed 40K. As soon as the rumours of 4th Ed leaked, GW was ADAMANT that all of the 3rd Ed books and lists would still work. Now we have a slew of FAQs and everyone is clamoring for their new book.:rolleyes:

GW *knows* that they can pump out new books each Edition and peole will snap them up. Quite a difference from the near-revolt a couple of years ago when people rebelled against the idea of new Codexes. Now those same people are adamant that *their* army is screwed until they get *their* new Codex.:rolleyes:

In short, GW will redo every book that it can in order to sell more stuff. I'm not being cynical, as I think improvements (actual *improvements*, not just changes) are a good thing. However, it will happen.

LaughinGremlin
13-12-2005, 20:40
If rumors are true, the new spider stuff with forest goblins will be a nice addition to that army. New books often coincide with neat models/fluff, which is why we are in the hobby, so new books/models every decade should be welcome by junkies like us. Admit it - you're a junky too!

The last DoW book was arguably the most "colorful" and fun army book that GW has ever made in my opinion. All the different character sketches, themes... Non DoW players I know liked to peruse that one more than any other. There is much potential for a great DoW or RoR or contingents book at least.

Let's see a contingents book with an expanded (with basic mages) Kislev contingent, MOOT contingent, uh... hobgoblins and/or CD if they dare not give CD its own book. The contingents book would include what we have known to be DoW: TILEAN contingent, and a long shot would be contingents for Araby, Cathay/Nippon.

Griefbringer
13-12-2005, 20:56
I would guess that Chaos is likely to get redone in some form or another, whether they need it nor not. They are one of the big sellers, and have always enjoyed a generous supply of products.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
13-12-2005, 21:27
Dark Elves, Empire, High Elves, Orcs and Gobbos....absolutely!

These are some of the oldest books right now, and in dire need of a re-write, and significant gaps filling. I mean, Dark Elves have no non-special character Highborn or Noble characters! Not a single one! Count 'em on a Quadraplegics fingers you can!

StugMeister
13-12-2005, 22:43
I think they all will be, sooner or later.

Skinnydookie
13-12-2005, 22:45
My worry is that as far as most people are concerned Skaven seem the
most powerful army out there and most seem to go down the SAD route.
The tournaments that take place around the world seem to back this up.
However, no mention at all has been given as to when Skaven will get get
done as going by a model-need revision there are plenty of armies ahead of them in the queue.

Presuming that GW are going to balance all of the armies rather than just make them more powerful (lets just hope we all agree that Dwarves needed help) Skaven armies advantages could become even more acute in the mean time.

gondarion
13-12-2005, 23:18
Gav himself said a while ago that dwarfs, orcs and empire would be the first three (we now know that is the order too). I think the real question is what armies are the next batch?

Trunks
14-12-2005, 04:20
I'm expecting Vampire Counts to be among the first after orcs and empire get redone. Other than the current plastics, which look good in my opinion (especially the Zombies), much of the line is beginning to show its age.

GW have said that model neccesitate new rules, not the other way around for the most part.

Vampire Counts are a good candidate for a new line of miniatures. Plastic Ghouls, possibly plastic graveguard (they are special, but could still be a candidate given that GW needs something non-core to put in a battlion usually except in the case of wood elves), new black knights.

This would be a nice time to throw in more characterful options for VC, which tends to be the biggest complaint (the type of general you have has little to do with army list selection for the most part other than if you feel like trying to theme, which is hard).

Bretonnians will probably be delayed for quite a long time since there aren't any glaring holes or problems in their miniature range at all. I wouldn't be suprised if they are the last to be redone.

Wickerman71
14-12-2005, 05:54
It's models that drive sales & what gets the spot light & what does not; Rules just come as a result.

Empire: in very bad need of a face lift; the early buzz on them being darker & grittier has my intrests peaked. Seeing the Militia models makes me wonder what they can now do for the Soldiers & Knights.

Vampire Counts: No army needs new models more than these guys no battalion set & the range is filled with 4th & 5th edtion minies. GW IMHO has got to establish a Gothic like feel to this army; as of now it suffers from lack of theme with in it's range.

Dark Elves: Again no Battlion set; The Model line is gorgeous but being primarily metal thus expensive it's in some dire need of some plastics. Never mind the fact that it doesn't have any models for some of it's most common hero choices. Rules wise it could also do with a fresh coat of paint.

Chaos: Hey it's the baby of course it's going to see some love! again no Battalions sets (Hmm I sense a theme). Love em or Hate em Chaos is a good seller for GW. I think it's only a matter of time before we see plastic Minotaurs & Lesser Demons Gracing our local GW stores.

As I see it those four are the biggest projects GW has ahead of them selves for 7th edtion. What about High Elves & Skaven you might ask. Well I believe that both of their model ranges with the additions made from Lustria are rather good. So while the other four should tie up allot of the companies resources; Artists & Sculpters in particular. The GW design team should be able to whip up some improved rules for these two.

Well atleast that's what my Crystal Ball is telling me:D

Quetzl
14-12-2005, 10:28
!!!!

You forgot to add Chaos Dwarfs!!!!:eek:

Joking of course!

Personally I think that every army that has been listed on the poll will get an update over the course of 7th edition - be that another 6 years or so.

In terms of the nearest releases then if I was a gambler I would probably put money on the Empire and Vampire Counts, just because they need a re-write and seeing as Orc's and Goblins are getting one, I think these wo should also get a pat on the back.

I'm not sure about Elves though, obviously Wood Elves will never get redone for another thousand years, and High Elves seemed to be *updated* via the Lustria book. Although it wasn't an update as such, but rather an excuse to bring out new minis - this is why I'm not sure Dark Elves will get a full update as their cousins haven't. I think that Dark Elves will most likely be updated in the Land of the Giants book not as a new book but as an update with a battalion and new hero's.

As for all the others listed, I don't think anyone knows, I suppose when we get to it we will find out.

Gorbad Ironclaw
14-12-2005, 10:34
Every single book, eventually. I don't think there is any of them they are not going to rewrite.

Only one that might not get rewritten is the Harlequin, err, Wood Elf list, and obviosuly Dwarfs. OnG is supposedly after the release of 7th, and then the rest will follow on after that.

RGB
14-12-2005, 16:46
It's models that drive sales & what gets the spot light & what does not; Rules just come as a result.

Empire: in very bad need of a face lift; the early buzz on them being darker & grittier has my intrests peaked. Seeing the Militia models makes me wonder what they can now do for the Soldiers & Knights.

Some of the models really are looking old (HG and Spears) and need a face-lift. However, I'm both hopeful and worried about the next incarnation. They've been talking about "darker" "grittier" and "more religious" for a while, which to my mind alsways brings the association with the dreadful Imperium of Man.

I think the Empire is as dark as it needs to be.

Similarly for the models: The Militia are OK, but what's good about them is the weapons sprues and the customizeability; ditto knights and soldiers. If they give us beautiful but monopose models I'm going to cry.

Lastly, plastic light cavalry are on my wish-list.

Dargon
14-12-2005, 23:40

Vampire Counts: No army needs new models more than these guys no battalion set & the range is filled with 4th & 5th edtion minies. GW IMHO has got to establish a Gothic like feel to this army; as of now it suffers from lack of theme with in it's range.

Dark Elves: Again no Battlion set; The Model line is gorgeous but being primarily metal thus expensive it's in some dire need of some plastics. Never mind the fact that it doesn't have any models for some of it's most common hero choices. Rules wise it could also do with a fresh coat of paint.

Chaos: Hey it's the baby of course it's going to see some love! again no Battalions sets (Hmm I sense a theme). Love em or Hate em Chaos is a good seller for GW. I think it's only a matter of time before we see plastic Minotaurs & Lesser Demons Gracing our local GW stores.

As I see it those four are the biggest projects GW has ahead of them selves for 7th edtion. What about High Elves & Skaven you might ask. Well I believe that both of their model ranges with the additions made from Lustria are rather good. So while the other four should tie up allot of the companies resources; Artists & Sculpters in particular. The GW design team should be able to whip up some improved rules for these two.

Well atleast that's what my Crystal Ball is telling me:DI'm in full agreement with Wickerman's analysis. The armies up for a 7th Edition rewrite will be determined primarily by their model ranges - specifically their plastic ranges. GW will be focusing on ensuring each army has Plastics available for every Core choice in each armybook. Those model ranges that are lacking in this department will have the highest priority once 7th Edition rolls around.

Just a thought...

Iron Clad MacFearson
15-12-2005, 08:05
If its all about the model range than its got to be VC and DE. And that sounds great to me. The VC list is boring and predictable, and DE, well I'm not gonna get into that , but they do only have 1 plastic box set.

Lathaine
15-12-2005, 16:22
GW will redo every army book. Game Dev has said it will not forward the Warhammer timeline SoC style until every army is updated in terms of fluff. To do this they will update evry book. That way they don't have huge descrepencies between the Warhammer world and the armies on the table.

elotsip
15-12-2005, 22:21
Where the heck are the Orcs and Goblins on that list! :(

gondarion
15-12-2005, 22:23
Where the heck are the Orcs and Goblins on that list! :(

They've already been redone, and will be released sometime late 2006.

Crazy Harborc
16-12-2005, 01:24
IMHO, all the books will be redone. Gotta generate a need for players to be "forced" to "Need" to buy them to be able to fully use 7th Ed.

Players will be "encouraged" to replace minies with "new and improved" versions. Chances are, some stats and likely weapons will be changed to fit right in with "new, replacement" minies.

Grand Warlord
16-12-2005, 02:49
I wouldnt mind seeing some Upgrades for Pistoliers, maybe an Outrider upgrade.... hey I can hope cant I lol

Long_Fang
16-12-2005, 03:14
As for Chaos Dwarves. They will never get a new army book. The last GT I went to a couple years back that question was brought up and it was a pretty solid no go for them.

SmashemTaBitsa
16-12-2005, 17:09
Never only means never if they think they won't make money on it. If it looks like they would gain popularity (especially after this new Dwarf release) they will release one, no matter how definate they thought they were before.

Crazy Harborc
16-12-2005, 21:17
Never only means never if they think they won't make money on it. If it looks like they would gain popularity (especially after this new Dwarf release) they will release one, no matter how definate they thought they were before.

I agree. The GW suits don't add (back in) armies and books for the good of the system (WHFB). What's good for sales is all that matters.

Misfratz
16-12-2005, 22:02
I don't think that GW will be in a particular hurry to release 8th edition, consequently I expect all the books [and more importantly the miniatures] to be revisited during 7th edition.

Crazy Harborc
17-12-2005, 18:20
I started WHFB a couple of months before 4th came out. After 4th Edition came out it was only about 8 years before 6th came out. 4th and 5th editions lasted about 4 years each.

speedygogo
17-12-2005, 22:20
I am a big beleiver that Gw wants to have plastic battalion sets for all their armies. Plastic is cheaper to mass produce and will cut cost and increase profit margins. Subsequently, I think that pewter heavy armies without battalions are going to be the first redone. Dark Elves , Vampires and Chaos are likely to get new books but I would be very surprized if HE, OK, Brets, TK or Lizzies get anything at all as all have battalion sets and have recently had makeovers.

MrSour
29-04-2006, 22:10
I personally hope that High Elves will be redone. I believe they have some of the worst infantry in the game mainly because they are far too expensive. phoenix guard and the sea guard are 15 points each and are never used in any army i've seen. Because of this, High Elves are completely one dimensional using only cavalry and magic.

Webwolf
29-04-2006, 23:06
I would hope that the Chaos Dwarfs will get a new Army Book, as the Hellcannon for Soc, was great.

The small fellows should have chaos armour, chaos items and dark spells.

ashc
30-04-2006, 13:41
All armybooks will be redone i would hazard a guess, as certain things wax and wane as certain core rules change, and armies need to be brought in line with those rules.

I've heard besides the dwarf/orcs/empire release, the rest of the remakes will be in the same order as 6th edition, and this would also pretty much fall into the 'the armies needing plastic battalions and less metals' argument too, as its mostly those armies needing them; i regard anything newer than the OK army book as 'ready for 7th' anyway.

Ash

Neknoh
30-04-2006, 13:50
Everything which either has its own lore or outdated rules except for Ogre Kingdoms (their Lore is much more like that of the Wood Elves, seemingly designed with the new idea of Magic being boosting of own units rather than crushing of enemy units).

So, everything except for the Ogre Kingdoms

ZomboCom
30-04-2006, 15:28
Through the course of 7th ed almost all of them will certainly have a rewrite. They all got redone in 6th (other than Chaos Dwarves), and some even got done twice (dwarfs).

Strictly Commercial
30-04-2006, 17:00
A better question, I think, is which books won't get a revision, as in which armies will be allowed to fade out. There's money to be made in new army books. Players generally want the breath of fresh air involved in a new rules set (not all, of course). If the army sold well or is selling well, GW will release a new book for it before 8th ed is released.

mageith
30-04-2006, 18:11
Why wouldn't all of them? If Gav keeps his word and maintains the core rules for the most part and only fixes the most pressing needs, then apparently this will be how WFB will be played until a new Gav (visionary designer and loremaster) comes along.

If 7th edition is good enough, there may never be another edition, just upgrades to the army books.

I also think those upgrades will always include new model lines.

So eventually even Dwarfs will be upgraded.

So really it's just a matter of the order of upgrades. I'd like to see the order: Skaven***, Dark Elves$$, Ogre Kingdoms$$, Dogs of War, Chaos$$$, High Elves$, Vampire Counts, Lizards**, Bretonnia**, Orcs & Goblins$, Wood Elves, Empire*, Beasts*, Tomb Kings* and Dwarfs*.

*At this point the asterisked armies don't need an upgrade but by the time the other army books are 'fixed', they probably will.

**These armies could be fixed with two or three errata.

*** These armies could be fixed with five or six errata.

But errata doesn't sell armies, new books and models do.

$ These armies need extensive work to make sense.

$$ These armies need extensive work for balance.

BTW, I am sure this is not the order or anywhere near the order GW has in mind.

Mage Ith

ROCKY
30-04-2006, 18:19
I do believe that the empire are due for some changes and I am very certain that vampire counts will also recieve changes (with the whole sylvania and Crom thingy.)

Rahu
30-04-2006, 21:48
They're not on the list, but I am so hoping for Chaos Dwarfs to get an army book.

I think Empire, DE, HE and VC will be one of the first to get a revision.

EvC
30-04-2006, 21:52
Agee with the previous post, though he forgot about Orcs and Goblins ;) I expect after that it'll be Chaos' turn for a bout of revisions

joshypoo
30-04-2006, 22:36
i see HE coming after empire, DE, and VC. then skaven(w/ slaves incorporated into the clanrats sets and new stormvermin plastics), a chaos update, lizards(saurus cav needs work), then TK. after that hopefully Bretonnians will get a tone down. However rules-wise i think HE are in the direst need out of all of those, the pipe dream that is I@C needs to end.

Dargon
30-04-2006, 23:58
If 7th edition is good enough, there may never be another edition, just upgrades to the army books.I think it's safe to say that there will always be another edition (even if they get the game perfect;) ).

Just a thought...

EvC
01-05-2006, 00:08
I think DE are going to be a way off, unfortunately. We all know their miniature lines need a LOT of work, but their army book was updated just a couple of years ago and they don't really need any rules changes at present, as far as I'm aware. HE are in much more dire need of being revised... but, I guess GW make rules to sell models, and not the other way round, so they may well end up giving the DE another revision and much-needed new models sooner than I'd expect. Though, my hope would be a new set of heroes, sorceresses and maybe two new plastic sets and a battalion (32 Warriors, 8 Dark Riders and 1 Bolt Thrower, perhaps? Might be too similar to High Elves though!) set next year without an army book appearing for another year maybe.

althathir
02-05-2006, 19:27
IMHO I think every army on the list will get a new book. I think that the only books which might not get redone are OK and Brets, and I think they will be. I think games-workshop is trying to finnish 5 books every two years, so it wouldn't suprise me to see most of the range get redone. The books I don't expect are Wood elves, and dwarfs. Both should have been designed with next edition in mind. I also expect for chaos dwarfs. I doubt that there will be any new armies either I think 14 is enough

DjtHeutii
05-05-2006, 02:25
All of them will get redone over the course of 7th.

Frecus
05-05-2006, 10:50
I also tagged them all. GW is evil enough to do that.

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

DarkstarSabre
07-05-2006, 20:37
All of them. The only difference will be when they are done as opposed to IF they are done. Just like 40k.

Reabe
07-05-2006, 20:43
All of them, sadly, even Chaos and the damnable Shrek Noob-doms.

There seems to be an on-going process, "factory-line"-like, of renewing Army Books in each edition. In a constant merry-go-round each army is given the treatment of a new edition, with the occasional claw-of-fate reaching down and moving various armies back (Wood Elves and, apparently, Chaos Dwarfs), adding new ones on (The Noob-doms) and knocking some off. (Dogs of War)

Lab Monkey
08-05-2006, 11:09
c h a o s d w a r f s

Mr.terminatorbob
08-05-2006, 23:29
ok so right now it's the 6th edition of warhammer right? So is 7th edition coming up soon loaming over our heads or is it months away? and finally are orcs and goblins getting a mew army book in 7th edition or 6th edition? thnx

metro_gnome
08-05-2006, 23:34
i second Lab monkey's suggestion...
and will abstain from voting until such a time as civilized options grace the poll...

Dargon
09-05-2006, 00:41
ok so right now it's the 6th edition of warhammer right? So is 7th edition coming up soon loaming over our heads or is it months away? and finally are orcs and goblins getting a mew army book in 7th edition or 6th edition? thnx7th Edition is due for release late August/early September (I think) of this year. All current Armybooks will remain valid (won't stop them redoing the books though;) ).

Orcs & Goblins are rumoured to be the first of the 7th Edition books to be redone, immeadiately following 7th Edition. Though, technically speaking, Dwarfs (and possibly Wood Elves) can be considered 7th Edition books, as I beleive they were written with the 7th Edition changes in mind (at least the Dwarfs definately were).

Just a thought...

Mr.terminatorbob
09-05-2006, 02:12
oh:o now I understand but who cares I'm impatient and dont feel like waiting till agust early september.

Capitán Sánchez
10-05-2006, 10:57
I suppose all of them will get redone, so that GW can sell them all again.

But considering VC is 90% copy-pasted from 5th ed., I hope they redo it completely

!!!!

You forgot to add Chaos Dwarfs!!!!:eek:

Joking of course!

Not to mention Dogs of War. :cries:

Thank you

Avian
10-05-2006, 11:29
Not to mention Dogs of War. :cries:
Read the original post. Only armies with actual army books are open for choice. It's not a poll to find out how much you would like other armies to get complete books, it's to find out who you think is going to get redone, despite already having an army book.

metallegion
10-05-2006, 15:32
If I had to put them in order I would hope it would be....

Empire
VC
DE
HE
Brets (just need new models for knights)
Skaven
Beasts
Chaos

The Emperor
10-05-2006, 15:55
7th Edition is due for release late August/early September (I think) of this year.

Good. Then I still got time to get the sixth edition boxed set. I've been meaning to get it for ages just for the purpose of getting all those Empire and Orc & Goblin miniatures. Damn good deal for the price to get all those figures. And then with the 7th edition box, I'll be well on my way to having a sizeable Orc & Goblin force, with two good starts for Empire and Dwarf armies.

Tastyfish
10-05-2006, 22:20
Something which occured to me is that this might be getting close to the final versions of a lot of the minis (with only minor retooling like the marines received). Once almost all the units are in plastic there is greater economic pressure not to change them, as getting veterans to replace units to stay 'modern' pales in comparision to the mass production benefits that plastic provide if you keep them the same. On top of this, they seem pretty happy with the current ruleset and seem to only want to make a few tweaks.

I think from this edition onward we will see the army books being redone far less frequently, with more focus on new character models and smaller scale things.

joshypoo
10-05-2006, 23:35
Something which occured to me is that this might be getting close to the final versions of a lot of the minis (with only minor retooling like the marines received). Once almost all the units are in plastic there is greater economic pressure not to change them, as getting veterans to replace units to stay 'modern' pales in comparision to the mass production benefits that plastic provide if you keep them the same. On top of this, they seem pretty happy with the current ruleset and seem to only want to make a few tweaks.

I think from this edition onward we will see the army books being redone far less frequently, with more focus on new character models and smaller scale things.

From the business perspective, this would be like making an everlasting lightbulb. Once everything has what they need, they will stop buying stuff. GW thrives off its cyclical process of redesigning and outmoding rules and miniatures. Though I can't say that the company has really been thriving lately.

Capitán Sánchez
11-05-2006, 07:28
Read the original post. Only armies with actual army books are open for choice. It's not a poll to find out how much you would like other armies to get complete books, it's to find out who you think is going to get redone, despite already having an army book.

OK, sorry. :o

All of them.

Look what's happened to 40K. GW promised old books would be suitable for new edition, but have a look at Space Marines one and you'll find out "light" differences.

Now, back to WHFB, which books do I think will be redone?

All of them! They have to be sold and at a higher price, of course. The only doubt is the releasing data for each of them. Obviously I do not expect a WE's AB redoing in a short period of time but I think it will also be modified.

On the other hand reading Bretonnian AB and having a look at Dwarfs minis I have noticed the stakes for Bretonnian Peasants are now available as some kind of shields for Dwarf Thunderers. It means AB are "alive", I mean, rules set in one of them can be suitable for other armies, so that it seems very probable that some "innovations" for late 6th. ed. books are "exported" to new armies and so on respecting to 7th. ed.

Former books for 6th. ed. seem now old, they need to be redone by, at least, including some new rules and options, no matter if they are new or "exported" from other armies.

Thank you.

P.S.: The fact of DoW do not have a printed Army Book full of background, magic items and photos, does not mean they have not an AB at all as they have a .pdf one. Gav Thorpe has said, IIRC, they will not have an AB for the moment, but has not said they are off the game.

:angel:

The Emperor
15-05-2006, 00:00

Originally I thought it was obvious that all of them getting redone was a given, but thinking about it, maybe it isn't? Just look at the changeover from 4th to 5th edition. How many army books got remade there? Here's the list, with the armies that did get remakes marked out in bold (Correct me if I'm wrong, of course, as I may've made an error here and there).

- Empire got an army book for 4th, but I didn't get one for 5th.
- Bretonnia didn't get one in 4th, but got one in 5th.
- High Elves got one in 4th and 5th.
- Wood Elves didn't get one in 4th, but got one in 5th.
- Dwarfs got one in 4th, but didn't get one in 5th.
- Orcs & Goblins got one in 4th, but not in 5th.
- Chaos, I'm fairly certain, got one in both 4th and 5th (One of them was a boxed set, actually. I had it, but I forget for which edition it was)
- Chaos Dwarfs had a 4th edition book, but not a 5th edition book.
- Dark Elves had a 4th edition book, but no 5th edition book.
- Undead had a 4th edition book, and we later got Vampire Counts in 5th edition, so I guess one could say they got redone.
- Skaven only had the 4th edition book.
- Lizardmen don't really count, because as far as I remember, they didn't have any army list in 4th.
- Dogs of War don't count, either.

So we're talking, what, three armies getting redone books (Chaos, High Elves, Undead)? Throw in books for armies which didn't have books in the previous edition (Bretonnia, Wood Elves), and new armies (Lizardmen, Dogs of War), and we're talking a total of 7 army books released for 5th edition.

Yeah, everything got redone for 6th edition, but they had to, as 6th edition was a complete overhaul of 5th. Whereas 5th was a minor tweak of 4th. But 7th edition, like 5th, will be a minor tweak to the edition which preceeded it, not a complete overhaul. So it's possible that some army books may very well not see an update in this edition (I can feel my inner Bretonnian weeping at the thought, since my army book was one of the last and thus one of the least likely to get updated).

Anyway, it's fairly obvious that some of the first army books released in the last edition will see an update. But the latter ones? Bretonnia, Wood Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, etc? I'm not so sure about that. Just my opinion, of course.