PDA

View Full Version : Rhinox cavalry

colinsb
13-12-2005, 14:38
Having read the rules for Rhinox cavalry I'm sorely tempted to add a unit into my Dogs of War army.

Other than the Forgeworld 26 a shot figures or converting the Rhinox from the Scraplauncher (10 a Rhinox) any ideas on suitable ways to model them?

SuperBeast
13-12-2005, 14:57
Well, you could always put green stuff over an Empire horse and say it's malnourished...
The problem is, Rhinoxes are big. And big is never cheap.
Anything small is going to look ridiculous before you start.
As a possibility, try toy shops/'normal' model shops.
All you need is a plastic dinosaur (triceratops or ankylodons are about the right proportions) that's (preferably) slightly smaller than you need to allow for sculpting the fur/harnesses? That'd be my first guess.

This is my problem with forgeworld in a nutshell.
"This is amazing new unit X! It will destroy all! Including your bank balance!"

Oh well...

Avian
13-12-2005, 15:09
Other than the Forgeworld 26 a shot figures or converting the Rhinox from the Scraplauncher (10 a Rhinox) any ideas on suitable ways to model them?
Try searching for a toy company named Schleich.

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~tarjeia/avian/pictures/ogres/rhinox_frontleft.JPG

Cpt. Drill
13-12-2005, 15:10
Well, you could always put green stuff over an Empire horse and say it's malnourished... best plan ever!

The forge world ones are awesome! And by using the little rhinoxes... (little:confused: ) is they will be counting as not bull rhinox! and they are where the money is at! quite literelly

You definatly want some bull rhinox because you will do better to buy some heavy cav instead of the small rhinox!

Keller
13-12-2005, 15:54
I'm curious, how well do the Rinox Cav typically perform ingame? I remember when I first saw the rules for them, I was quite impressed and wanted to add some to my army. Due to the huge pile of stuff I already have to paint in general, and the fact my Ogre army is only about 1/3 painted, I never spent the money on them.

They seem capable of doing quite a bit of damage, but I don't really want a unit that can just stomp through enemy ranks either. They are rather expensive, so it should balance out, but I still haven't really decided on them. Given the speed at which I paint, looks like I will just be able to pick em up when they are part of the next army book...

What is anyone's experience with the beasts? Good, bad, fun, too powerful?

Avian
13-12-2005, 17:38
They are okay. Very hard to kill, but suffers from low WS and Ld and being somewhat unwieldy due to the limit on how often it can turn, plus having to take Ld-tests not to charge.

piotrov
13-12-2005, 19:27
Although converting one out of a toy rhino or dinosaur is probably the cheapest option, Reaper also makes a viable alternative Rhinox: Hunting Beast (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=3581&cat=0&page=)

Crazy Harborc
13-12-2005, 21:37
Good ol' Reaper. They have suitable Treemen too:evilgrin: I will be looking into Rhinox cav since I do DoW units and armies too.

Atrahasis
13-12-2005, 22:13
being somewhat unwieldy due to the limit on how often it can turn

There is no limit to the number of times they can turn. The rules say they cannot change formation except if they reform. "Change formation" is a completely separate heading in the rulebook from turning.

Avian
14-12-2005, 14:14
Hmm, I haven't checked the WD version too closely, in the original rules on the FW site they could only turn once per ... welll ... turn.

Crube
14-12-2005, 14:19
As an aside, are any of the Rhinox rules 'official' now / yet? IE can they be used in tournaments etc...

I ask as OK's are on my list of armies to do (right after I finish my Wood Elves, and Dwarfs...

Avian
14-12-2005, 14:22
As an aside, are any of the Rhinox rules 'official' now / yet?
No, they have not been made official this week either. :rolleyes:

colinsb
14-12-2005, 14:25
No, they have not been made official this week either. :rolleyes:

They are Warhammer Chronicles in this months WD (issue 309 in UK) therefore are now, according to conversation with GW yesterday, 'official'.