PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about Warriors of Chaos

RaZeR
24-03-2009, 21:43
Hi guys
I've been out of the hobby for a couple of years due to a lack of time and money. Unfortunately I still lack both commodities, but I'm going to have a go anyway :p

I'm going back to the Chaos Warriors army I was considering last time I was collecting, but obviously lots has changed since then. I have the new rulebook and army book, and I have a few questions. Sorry if these have been asked recently, I had a look back a few pages but didnt find anything...

1) Mark of slaanesh - It now says 'immune to fear, terror and panic'. Does this mean that they are no longer officially 'immune to psychology' and therefore marked units are allowed to flee as a charge response? Or are they still not allowed...

2) There seem to be a lot more special characters around now, are these more commonly accepted, or do most groups/tournaments still have a 'no special characters unless otherwise stated' policy?

3) Slaanesh magic - worth it, or just go with death or fire? The spells dont seem as good as the old version, but it's hard to tell...

4) Gift of Chaos 'Bloodcurdling Roar' - One use only? It doesn't say, but it seems pretty powerful if you can use it every turn...

5) Eye of the gods - Seems very useful on the face of it, but how often do you actually get to kill a large target/character-in-a-challenge? Is it worth cutting back on the magic a bit specifically for the sake of this rule?

6) Magic weapons and marks - In the old book, certain magic weapons could only be wielded by characters with the appropriate mark (e.g. Mace of Filth only for Nurgle characters). This book doesn't seem to say anything about that, so can any character have any magic item within their points allowance?

Thanks loads :D

RaZeR

Häxjägare
24-03-2009, 21:54
1. You can flee with MoS now, one of the better changes!

2. Depening, most tournaments in Sweden say no. Most of the people I play with too, but It's depening on the group you play with really. It's not as strict as it used to be at least.

3. Against Daemons/VC or other armies with alot of Immune to psychology units it's a wasted, against some armies it can be really really good. But fire is probably a safer bet.

4. You can use it every turn, the short range is really the only drawback. Great for killing knights!

5. I have rolled on it once in six battles, so it's not really that huge. I do run a Tzeentch list with a Sorcerer lord tho.

6. Yes! A Tzeentch character can use Collar of Khorne for example to get a 5+ Ward save.

MSU
24-03-2009, 22:07
1.) seconded

2.) Special characters are technically legal, but you will probably get some dirty looks by using them because some of them are really powerful. They are fair game (for the most part) in tournaments in the USA.

3.) Lore of Slaanesh is great against the non-ItP armies, but all the competitive/competition armies are Deamons, VC (ItP) so it might not be a good idea.

4.) Yes, use it every turn.

5.) Don't base your list on EotG table, but it can be a nice bonus, nothing game changing though. You dont get a roll for killing unit champions either ... even though your champions always have to challenge too.

6.) Yes, mixing is legal and necessary to build a decent character. People complain about fluff reasons for mixing, but it IS legal to mix. A magic item is a magic item no matter what the book calls it.

Cypher, the Emperor
24-03-2009, 22:09
IMO nurgle is the best lore these days, Slaanesh got nerfed in the new book.

RaZeR
24-03-2009, 22:12
Excellent :)
Thanks a lot guys, I'm gonna get cracking on a list now, will probably put it up in the army list forum soon if you have a chance to check it out :)

I'll probably have more questions as well, so I'll keep this thread hanging around!

On that note, opinions on a Glave of Putrefaction + Helm of Many Eyes on an Exalted Hero? Seems like a good way to deal with enemy characters...

RaZeR
24-03-2009, 22:31
One more question actually...
Can you now mix and match marks in an army with a marked general? It used to be that if your general had a mark you could only have characters/units in the army with the same mark, or undivided... Is that still the case? :)

Häxjägare
24-03-2009, 22:46
Helm + Glaive might be good. Risk is that he gets stupid with only LD 8, slap him on a disc or a Steed of Slaanesh instead for thoes 20" charges. They count as cavalry mounts now too!

One more question actually...
Can you now mix and match marks in an army with a marked general? It used to be that if your general had a mark you could only have characters/units in the army with the same mark, or undivided... Is that still the case? :)

You can mix as you want, you can have a Tzeentch hero in a unit of Khorne Chaos Warriors even.

RaZeR
24-03-2009, 22:51
Cool, thanks :)
Seems a bit un-fluffy so I'll try to keep it to a minimum, but good to know...
Another question that I really should know the answer to, but it's late :P
Can chaos sorceror's take magic armour/shields? IIRC they can take magic armour because they have chaos armour anyway, but they cant take shields of any kind. Not sure though

Thanks again!!

melgorth
24-03-2009, 23:13
Yea sorceror's are allowed to take magic armour and shields, it was officially FAQ'd on GW's website and is stated in the book itself if IRRC.:)

EvC
24-03-2009, 23:30
Eye of the Gods aint amazing, but sometimes it can be pretty sweet. Expect to roll a 7 every single time you win a challenge/ kill a large target if you haven't got favour of the gods. When it works though, like in my sig... boy, against that 6 Steg army, my Lord was virtually a Bloodthirster by the end.

Tae
25-03-2009, 00:41
Eye of the Gods aint amazing, but sometimes it can be pretty sweet.

I take a warshrine in my Tzeentch list. Nothing funnier than targetting Vilitch's unit and rolling a 12, 3+ ward saves all round (and stubborn)!

RaZeR
25-03-2009, 14:21
Thanks for all the advice guys
I've made a list (and then changed it slightly :P), you can find it here:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189906
Feel free to have a look :D
Any advice on how to make it more fluffy (IE marks on characters that should have them, going by their items etc :P) would be great as well!

Thanks

popisdead
09-04-2009, 23:49
Special Char's are fine to use. The Chaos ones are pretty good (Throgg is especially awesome)

Slaanesh and Nurgle (this esp) are really nice.

Eye of the Gods is good with Throgg, or on a Chosen Champ w/ Favour of the Gods. It's fluffy and fun but the warfail crew have ruined it to death :(