PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Daleks?

salty
03-05-2005, 18:46
Was anyone else disappointed by the Dalek in the last episode of Dr. Who? Don't get me wrong, it was great to hear it shouting "Ex-term-in-ate!" (I love the voice :D) but c'mon... Daleks with EMOTIONS!?! :confused:

Salty :)

EDIT: That is a confused smiley - it should really have white q-marks.

The boyz
03-05-2005, 19:23
we'Yeah I agree Salty, I was quite annoyed about the Dalek having feelings. It just turned into [an emotionally sensetive individual]

Antaeus
03-05-2005, 20:38
Wouldn't quite go that far..I thought it was an interesting take on the machines we know and love. I thought the bit where it tried to get Rose to free it by making her feel sorry for it was quite original and plays on the childlike metality I associate with the Daleks. A different flavour.

Though I didn't like the ending much, I have to admit. Don't see how her touching its shell could have changed its nature...

Also didn't like this new forcefield thing they have it having - adding in special effects where not needed in my opinion, it was fine when bullets just bounced off its carapace.

Still, good to see them back on our screens, and I like the new look and weapon effect. Hopefully they'll have more Dalek stories in the future: sure, that was the last one, but he can always go back in time...

TheSonOfAbbadon
03-05-2005, 20:48
That Dalek just absorbed the internet! :eek:

Baggers
03-05-2005, 21:04
I thought it was very good, the Dalek absorbed Rose, but made the mistake of allowing her to become part of it.

Lostanddamned
03-05-2005, 21:28
I really disliked it, and the portrayal of the doctor, it just felt that, whilst the reversal of roles was intresting, that both charachters were being immensely compromised to achieve this effect.

If they wanted daleks (not all that surpising really) they could have gone back in time and had the doctor encounter them at some point in the past, as both the time lords and daleks could travel in time (hence the "time wars").

alterion
03-05-2005, 22:03
quick.. capture it.. it has our portent backups on it...

neXus6
03-05-2005, 22:40
quick.. capture it.. it has our portent backups on it...

:p

Yeah I can't say I was to convinced by it, the upgraded graphics of the thing when it was blowing 7 shades out of the guards was cool but I to wasn't so happy about the obviousness of the roll reversal or the whole feelings thing.
Ah well. Can't win 'em all.

arxhon
03-05-2005, 23:28
Yeah I agree Salty, I was quite annoyed about the Dalek having feelings. It just turned into a big metal faggot.

You may want to change that before one of the mods comes by and gives you a smack.

Inquisitor Engel
04-05-2005, 00:02
Hey: "The Boyz" we'll have less of that language please.

The Portent Inquisition

salty
04-05-2005, 08:41
I hear that the last two may have plenty of the good old fashioned Daleks in them, which should *just* make up for giving that one Rose's emotions.

Still, gotta love the bit where he says, "Ha! It can't climb stairs!" then it hovers up after him!

EVIL INC
04-05-2005, 19:48
cant say as how I have seen any of the new shows, But I liked the older ones. I dont really see the daleks having emotions. I see them as the perfect unthinking machines. Having them or even one of them "feel" is out of character .

Cheesejoff
04-05-2005, 19:51
One thing I didn't get about that episode was, the bunker door took like 2 seconds to open but about a minute to close??

Baggers
04-05-2005, 21:37
One thing I didn't get about that episode was, the bunker door took like 2 seconds to open but about a minute to close??

Well if you pay more attention you can see that the Dalek had control of the power supply, if your trying to stop the Dalek by shutting the bulk head, then it would reduce the amount of power you could use there fore taking longer to shut.

However as they were opening it, I assume the Dalek giave enough power for it to open quicker.

Plus there is more artistic liscene from Joe Aherne (creator of Ultraviolent fact fans) to play with.

Baggers

Marsekay
04-05-2005, 22:53
I just thought it should have been like the film terminator, it just would not stop killing them all, they could have like blownh half its head off and it still kept coming etc etc, then finally managed to crush it in a lift or something at the end. that would have been good to scare the kids with.

salty
05-05-2005, 12:01
Yeah. I saw the old Daleks on DVD (only being 17 and all) and they weren't even slightly scary. But my dad always used to ramble on about how in the 70's they were terrifying. MAKE THEM SCARY AGAIN! Please :(

Bubble Ghost
05-05-2005, 12:21
The way I saw it, it was a tense, thought-provoking story; the way the Dalek ended up "feeling" was explained perfectly well, and the resulting events gave an extra layer to the Doctor's character and this Time War business. I really can't see what everyone's moaning about, it was great.

salty
05-05-2005, 12:31
Nah, it sapped the Dalek of its terrifying, alien nature.

Bubble Ghost
05-05-2005, 14:24
No it didn't.

This is where you say "yes it did" and we go on forever. Or we could just agree to differ.

Even though I'm right.:D

salty
05-05-2005, 15:05
:D Okay, I agree that we are in a disagreement.

Anyone know which episodes will feature the good (i.e. cold, uncaring killing machine) Daleks? I heard it may be 12 and 13.

Forgotmytea
06-05-2005, 10:17
I thought it was slightly cheesy the way the Dalek had emotions. Cal me ignorant, but I always thought a Dalek was the metal bit, not a squid-thing inside....

But, hopefuly we'll see proper Daleks soon, without emotions. I liked the authority the guards had, the big-headed, "We'll handle this. Get out the way, civilian." And then the panic when it started killing them all....

Damn, where's the :evilgrin: smiley when you need it? ;)

Leviathan
06-05-2005, 22:46
Hello,

I agree with bubble ghost.

It would have been so easy to do a 'OMGWTFDALEKS?!1?!!?!11One!!' episode, instead they tried something different.

They experimented on a new tangent, whilst still featuring the rampant exterminations we expect with the Daleks, they added new and unexpected aspects that helped to deepen and add to the main characters- Rose and the Doctor.

Breaking the rules of what is expected in things like this is good and healthy. Once the show becomes boring and predictable it starts to loose its shine.

Xhalax
06-05-2005, 22:51
As with the new Dr Who as a whole, I'm still unconvinced and whether I like or not.

It was nice to see them...even if it did look like the much older and, in my humble opinion, more silly older daleks with the big flashing lights on the side of it's head. But there's just something not right about....well everything.

And i can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Marsekay
06-05-2005, 23:00
But there's just something not right about....well everything.

And i can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Its because I am still not playing the doctor, just you wait till i get the part, its gonna be, and i choose to use a hip 80's term here, "Radical"

Actually i thought i saw the TARDIS at work. if its still there i will take pics of it.

Wintermute
07-05-2005, 06:41
[COLOR=DarkOrchidCal me ignorant, but I always thought a Dalek was the metal bit, not a squid-thing inside....
COLOR]

The Dalek was always the occupant, not the 'metal bit' and has been since 1963 when they first appeared in Dr Who.

Antaeus
07-05-2005, 09:24
Indeed, Remembrance of the Daleks (with Sylv McCoy as the Doctor) gives us a nice view of the squidgy bits of a Dalek. Though when I think "Dalek" I think of the casing as well.

Bubble Ghost has a point, and the story did take an interesting angle. I guess I'm just use to episodes like Genesis where they mercilessly slaughter everyone at every opportunity. I find it hard to imagine how touching its shell would make that much difference to it. I liked the bit where its disarmed and it and the Doctor have a little chat..

Overall, interesting idea which was portrayed fairly well, but not a great ending. I think.

Rabid Bunny 666
07-05-2005, 11:54
That Dalek just absorbed the internet! :eek:

so thats where portent went!

damn you!
*shakes fist at remnants of dalek*

i liked the rusty look of it, but the alien inside looked kinda cheesy and the confliction in emotions was just..... odd to say the least

Baggers
07-05-2005, 12:42
I actually quite liked the Kaled Mutant inside the mrk 3 travel machine casing. It reminded me of the blob that attacked Tom Baker in the story Genesis of the Daleks.

Bubble Ghost
07-05-2005, 15:00
I find it hard to imagine how touching its shell would make that much difference to it.

It's probably just some random sensory ability the Daleks' armour has that hasn't been mentioned before. The Dalek even said something about it being specifically the DNA of a time traveller that made a particular difference, and was eventually responsible for 'corrupting' it with emotions. If Saturday night idiot box viewers can comprehend this with their monosodium glutomate-addled minds after sitting through Strictly Dancing With Graham Norton's Fever, surely us geeks who are used to this sort of thing shouldn't have difficulty with it.

Or is that the whole problem? Are people feeling that the Dalek's acquiring emotions wasn't adequately explained? You're in for disappointment if that's the case, because Doctor Who isn't sci-fi, it's mainstream drama - you're not going to get re-invertions of phase 2 plasma contra-stream adaptors emitting beams of proton rays to qualify the plot devices...

VanHel
07-05-2005, 19:00
They aren't shown here in the states yet, but a friend of mine downloaded the series for me and I think it's pretty good so far. One thing I dont get about the whole time war thing though. If Galifrey is destroyed and the doctor is sad about being the last of the timelords, can't he just go back to a point before the planet's destruction?

Rabid Bunny 666
07-05-2005, 19:20
They aren't shown here in the states yet, but a friend of mine downloaded the series for me and I think it's pretty good so far. One thing I dont get about the whole time war thing though. If Galifrey is destroyed and the doctor is sad about being the last of the timelords, can't he just go back to a point before the planet's destruction?

DONT NITPICK :D

the only problem is that there is no real probability for any more dalek slugfests, which is lame

Baggers
07-05-2005, 19:34

No becasue A) that would be changing history, and B) that is changing History. And you find out why you should not do that next week.

salty
07-05-2005, 19:52
Yeah, when you change history big demon thingys come after you to set things straight ;)

neXus6
07-05-2005, 19:54
I must admit I'm not really liking the short tempered psyco northern english doctor.
The roll reversal thing in the dalek episode was one thing but he was pretty much doing it again at the end of this weeks episode.

I don't plan to watch it again...Celebrety Wrestling is on at the same time and is so utterly crap it's funny. Rowdy Roddy Piper...:p

Bubble Ghost
07-05-2005, 19:58
Yeah, when you change history big demon thingys come after you to set things straight ;)

Call of Cthulwho, maybe..?

salty
07-05-2005, 19:58
I agree with you there, the new Doc seems, well, a bit thick (the character not Christopher Eccleston... well, maybe him too). And I'm northern, so I guess I should be inclined to like him.

Bring back Tom Baker.

Baggers
07-05-2005, 20:11
Wait till you see what david Tennant can do, if you want to listen to him in a great role, go buy the six part cds than make up the Dalek Empire 3 chapter of the story from Big Finish, he plays Galannar.

VanHel
08-05-2005, 19:53
No becasue A) that would be changing history, and B) that is changing History. And you find out why you should not do that next week.
Im not saying going back and changing events, I'm saying just going and slumming it around galifrey a few centuries before the destruction. No chrono distortion, no changing of events, no big nasty daemon thingys.

Baggers
09-05-2005, 16:58
Im not saying going back and changing events, I'm saying just going and slumming it around galifrey a few centuries before the destruction. No chrono distortion, no changing of events, no big nasty daemon thingys.

If I remember my Who Books the Time Lords were wiped out completly, from time. The Doctor is the only one left.

Leviathan
09-05-2005, 19:58
Hello,

That's how I imagined it.

It being a time war rather than a mundane war, the Time Lords and the Daleks obliterated each other out of time completely. Meaning there is no one left. Ever.

But you know the writers will find a way around that :p

TheSonOfAbbadon
09-05-2005, 20:21
The Daleks weren't blasted out of time, they were just blown to pieces.

And if all the Time Lords, save for the Doctor, were blasted out of time then the Master would have never existed therefore the 7th incarnation wouldn't have been killed in 'Dotor Who: The Movie' which was the only thing that the 8th doctor ever did, and no-one knows how he dies. So therefore the current doctor should be TOM BAKER! WHO WAS THE GREATEST DOCTOR OF THEM ALL! :D :D :D

Also if the time lords were blasted out of time then the time war would have never happened, but then the time lords would have existed and so would have the Daleks and nothing has changed so the time war must happen, but it didn't because the tie lords were blasted out of time!

NO! MY BRAIN! IT'S MELTING! NOOOOOO!.... urg.... *POP*

Baggers
09-05-2005, 21:21
The time war destoryed the Time Lords and the Daleks at the furthest point in the future. The Time Lords and the Daleks (and in theory the Cybermen) have access to to time travel technology. Therefore they can only travel backwards in time, becuase the future has not happened yet.

Therefore the Time Lords like the Master, the Rani and the Doctor can fiddle with time and leave an effect on the current world even if they never existed.

salty
10-05-2005, 21:53
@Son of Abaddon: I think you're thinking about this way too much. Although i agree Tom Baker ruled ;)

@Baggers: I guess it all depends on exactly when they were 'born'. If they were born after the start of the Time War, but before it had actually occurred (that is, they were born say the year 20,500, then the Daleks went back to 20,400 and started the Time War) then they would have ceased to exist utterly.

If they were born before the Time War then what you said would work.

Hey... that sounds pretty clever :D

Baggers
10-05-2005, 22:06
@Baggers: I guess it all depends on exactly when they were 'born'. If they were born after the start of the Time War, but before it had actually occurred (that is, they were born say the year 20,500, then the Daleks went back to 20,400 and started the Time War) then they would have ceased to exist utterly.

If they were born before the Time War then what you said would work.

Hey... that sounds pretty clever :D

I am geussing that the time war is the far flung future as for it to happen before the Time Lords existed in real space would seem strange.
-