PDA

View Full Version : Highly magic army

danm89
25-03-2009, 00:14
So ive been away from warhammer for a while what with uni and such, but as its near the end of the academic year i plan to play more, and want to start a new army. I have a pretty good idea of what i have in mind, but not having played for a while, or much at all for that matter (40k person), i dont really know how each army performs.

I allready have a Demon army i am happy with, that is based on solid close comat. And so want an army that utilises magic to do the killing, instead of combat, while using some infantry to keep the casters safe.

My thoughts were that now that the new lizards book is out, and the Slann is reckoned to be the creme de la creme of casters (and an ace model) was to go lizardmen with a Slann and skink priests to back him up. I also like the idea of him being in the middle of a meat shield for protection. Now i have not once seen a lizardmen army in action, and was wandering, is the Slann realy that good game wise that he can take out a medium unit in one turn of casting (as i know combat caracters with some support can do), or is the fluff all talk and no go? Now if this is not the case, what can i expect from him in an average magic phase? And while were on the case, how is a stegadon in game terms?

So what are peoples experiences of magic based lizardmen? Obviously i can put all these things into an army, but does it work?

Tae
25-03-2009, 00:38
I've played my friend's Lizardmen army a few times and he runs a Slaan with a few tricks on him (calming cogitation is one (I think, can't remember names! the ignore 6's one) and also the cuped hand of the old ones (pass off miscast one)) and I've never really been over-whelmed by him. Sure he can take a few spells and possible could pump out a fair amount of magic but he always seems fairly defensive of nature.

Although perhaps it just looks this way as I run Villitch + 3 Sorcerer spam in my WoC army.

gumbio
25-03-2009, 01:45
i think the high elves have some pretty good magic

Grovel
25-03-2009, 02:12
Focused rumination makes Slann a very potent offencive force, if you combine that with an engine of the gods - It's a very potent magic phase that will almost never be contained.

Stegadons should be treated like a more smashy version of any other chariot - They're there to charge and dish out the hurt (which they do quite well), but not fight drawn out combats.

Hvidponi
25-03-2009, 02:31
Deamons of Chaos Tzeentch list is probably the best killy magic, but dark elves are also very potent. A slann is so-so, since he uses rulebook lores, but he can be supported by level 3 skinks, and that is indeed awesome. High elves got nothing fancy, except for a 100 pts book that allows a very silly and random magic phase. Skaven with thier warp-lightings are also an evil evil army. Other than that there is something about the new Warriors of Chaos and a certain Infernal Gateway.

Dokushin
25-03-2009, 04:16
Lizardmen can have a super-nasty magic phase, but it's all about rulebook lores, which are all about support. You can take Fire or whatever and try to blast away, but you're gonnna get much better results out of taking movement and combat spells to make your already insane troops better.

Same thing with the Priests -- they lock on to Heavens, which is full of more support. Not something you want to double up on, but a Slann + a Skink Priest on Engine is going to net you ~13 PD a turn without any magic items. Plus, the fact that the Engine is an Ancient Stegadon (think monster-chariot) with an AoE nuke that you can't dispel really makes up for the lack of killy options.

The fact that Lizardmen can't double up on killy lores (no 3 lvl 2's with fire or death or whatever) means you're not going to cast enough wounds to wipe units. But we're ideally set up for support lores, with the ability to learn all spells and the free PD per spell. When you cast beast cowers and wolf hunts and charge cavalry with your steggie, or unseen lurker your cavalry in, or rain lord away those warmachines, you'll scoff at bolt of change spam.

W0lf
25-03-2009, 12:18
Killy magic armies;

1. Tzeentch daemons
2. Skaven SAD
3. Vapire counts - use magic to win games
4. HE teclis + council
5. WoC

Thats how id rank the top 5.

Keller
25-03-2009, 13:15
I'd also suggest Dark Elves for magic heavy. I haven't played against them in a while, but I like the looks of the list if that's what you're going for. Worth atleast mentioning again, I think.