PDA

View Full Version : Magic missiles?

gumbio
25-03-2009, 03:07
I just got the game a couple days ago and i was trying out some magic...but i was wondering how many people a magic missile hits. Does it hit a whole unit...or does it just hit one model in a unit.

EldarBishop
25-03-2009, 03:14
As per the description specified in the spell.

Generally, this will affect a "unit" and be "distributed as shooting".

gumbio
25-03-2009, 03:34
But like in the spell fireball...it just gives the range..thats it.

fubukii
25-03-2009, 03:49
range 24in inflicts d6 str 4 hits. magic missle. Means it hits the unit and does d6 str 4 hits to them

gumbio
25-03-2009, 03:52
ok but does it hit the whole unit...or just one model in the unit

Lord Zarkov
25-03-2009, 03:58
It will hit D6 models in the unit (usually, unless there's less or you have to randomise).
Any spell that targets a unit and does XD6 hits to a unit will do one hit on the unit for every hit rolled, distrubuted as shooting. So usually one hit on each of that many models

gumbio
25-03-2009, 04:01
so i just roll a dice and watever number i get.thats how many models i hit?

Lord Zarkov
25-03-2009, 04:08
yup, pretty much.
If there are less models than that or if you have to randomise you might hit some of the models more than once, but otherwise that's correct.

gumbio
25-03-2009, 04:10
ok thxs and another question...can u attack a unit that is fleeing

Dokushin
25-03-2009, 04:21
We're not supposed to go into basic rules too much here, but this is stuff that confused me, too *grin* -- here's how it goes.

You cast fireball on a unit of elven archers. It's a magic missile that does d6 S4 hits. "Magic Missile" means it works like shooting -- you need line of sight, the models can't be in combat, and it's distributed like shooting. "Distributed like shooting" means it hits normal rank-and-file troopers in the unit, not hitting any characters or anything like that until the unit is very small (5 models).

So you cast it, and roll a d6, and get 5. It therefore does 5 hits to the elven archers as a whole. Elven archers are T3, so you need a 3 to wound. So you roll 5 dice, and for every 3+ you get that's a wound to the unit. Say you roll 3 4 2 2 6. That's 3 wounds. So now he rolls armor saves for 3 wounds, but if I recall correctly archers only get a 6+ so after the penalty (for S4) they have no save, so 3 archers die.

Re: Fleeing, yes, you can cast and shoot against a fleeing unit, and you can charge against them. When you charge a fleeing unit, it automatically 'flees' again. If your charge is sufficient to still reach them they are destroyed, otherwise you only move half your charge (your full base M value) and they move up however much they rolled.

gumbio
25-03-2009, 04:29
ok that makes sense now...thxs. And the magic missile thing works for all magic missiles right?

Lord Dan
25-03-2009, 06:26
The spells specify what you are to do. If it just gives a D6 roll and some numbers, you can assume it hits the whole unit and is randomized. If it says something else, do what it says.

Yes, you can fire at fleeing units.

gumbio
27-03-2009, 03:02
O and 1 more question.....can u move and charge in the same turn..srry its kinda of a noob question

Lord Dan
27-03-2009, 03:37
Nope. Declaring charges is done before regular movement. Check out the segment in the rulebook about the phases of movement for all the specifics.