PDA

View Full Version : Land Speeder Army

Sacrednature
25-03-2009, 03:13
I was looking through my marine codex when I realized that I had never actually looked at a land speeder. Once I saw their heavy shooting power and low point cost I started playing around with the idea of running 9 speeders each with 2 heavy bolters. Thats 54 shots a turn.... You can run 1-3 speeders for a single fast attack choice. But do they have to stay within unit coherency and does each speeder count as a kill point in annhilation or do you have to kill the all three to get the point?

Also what Chapter of space marines uses alot of armor? (including speeders).

CraftworldsRus
25-03-2009, 03:20
Well, in terms of armor and speeders, white scars are decent, although they are better known for their bikes, they do love their rhinos. They are considered a "fast" force anyways. And I think speeders in a squad only give up a KP for all three going down, since they all act as one unit.

hockeyhammer
25-03-2009, 03:20
the squads have a 4" coherency, ya gotta kill the squad to get the kill point

Templar Ben
25-03-2009, 03:26
You never looked at speeders in 4th? Squadrons of 3 all with Ass Cans were truly a sight to behold even if everyone considered them cheesy.

You know you could make up your own chapter that focuses on armor.

FuriosoShadow
25-03-2009, 04:15
You never looked at speeders in 4th? Squadrons of 3 all with Ass Cans were truly a sight to behold even if everyone considered them cheesy.

You know you could make up your own chapter that focuses on armor.

4th Edition Assault Cannons are probably the best weapon that has ever existed ever.

Ever.

Silentexile
25-03-2009, 04:59
If I recall correctly, Dark Angles can take squadrons of 5 speeders each. They can also buy one with an Assault Cannon and Heavy Bolter after purchasing a 6 man bike squad. Here's an 1850 speeder spam list

==HQ==
Sammael (in Land Speeder) - 205
==Troops==
6 Bikes+Speeder - 320
6 Bikes+Speeder - 320
==Fast Attack==
5 Land Speeders - 500
5 Land Speeders - 500

Now granted, this army would probably not be the most effective due to so many low armor vehicles in a single squadron, but the point is, Dark Angels can get more speeders than any other army, even a few in the troops choice(this is currently being debated, as the 5th ed. vehicle rules say vehicles can't score, but the Dark Angels codex says they can be.)

shabbadoo
25-03-2009, 09:39
There is no debate(and yes, I've read the arguements for and against). It is very simple according to GW:

The main 5e rulebook itself states that the rules in the codexes take precedence over those in the main 5e rulebook; apparently even if the codex is not a 5e codex(which means all of them except C: SM and C: IG at this time). After the codex you go to the FAQ for that codex, and if it hasn't been addressed there then you go by exactly what the codex states.

Yes, the lack of rules continuity is lame and it could have been covered in the Dark Angels FAQ(as could so many other things) but it wasn't, so Dark Angels Land Speeders *taken as part of a Ravenwing Squadron only* are scoring units for now. This certainly makes Ravenwing the best Land Speeder heavy list in the game, as they have many fast units that can claim objectives. If you go all Ravenwing Squadrons(which is the bikes/atack bike/land speeder unit) with them then everything but Sammael can claim objectives.

mughi3
25-03-2009, 10:11
A couple points of note

!.on the matter of scoring ravenwing speeders-
only the tornado pattern taken as part of a bike squad count as scoring, the ones from the FA slot(support squad) do not.

!. 5th ed and speeder types
Because of the low AV and movement/shooting restrictions of 5th edition the land speeder typhoon out of codex: space marines, is a better unit to take instead of the tornado pattern as it is able to stand off at 48" and fire 2 krak/frag missiles after moving 12"

Sanctjud
25-03-2009, 13:18
@mughi3:
It's move 12" and shoot Krak missiles.
or
Move 12" and shoot Hvy bolter and frag missiles.

The Typhoon is the only land speeder I'd consider, BUT ONLY THE NEW ONE, with 2 shots coming from the ML.

My 7 Cents.

Deadmanwade
25-03-2009, 14:35
I run 3 double bolter speeders and they never fail to impress. Against MEQ they're so so, but against any 4+ or worse units they can kill a squad with ease. Against T3 4+ saves (firewarriors) they rack up 10 kills a turn and they can move 6" to get the best firing solution.
I'm planning on getting more of them when time/money permits.

IrishDelinquent
25-03-2009, 16:42
I love my Land Speeder Inferno squads. 3 double heavy flamers can massacre anything that has a 4+ armor save or worse....like those damn orks that are running roughshod over everybody these days. Best of all, they only cost 60 points each; that's only 10 points more than a plain landspeeder.

Sacrednature
25-03-2009, 18:14
Thanks for the all the help guys. I will definately have to playtest the list before I go spending hundreds of dollars, but I think it will work out just fine. :)

Mega Nutz
25-03-2009, 18:38
Don't know what it would play like but what about six landspeeders kitted out with what ever weapon type you fancy, and three landspeeder storms with thirty scouts. Combat squad the scouts and take fifteen armed with either shotguns or close combat wepaons and the other fifteen with sniper rifles/Heavy bolters and or missile launcher! You'd have infantry to sit in/on objectives whilst snipers could pick off chosen targets and the flying cavalry could harrang the hell out of anything left!

shin'keiro
25-03-2009, 20:34
The main 5e rulebook itself states that the rules in the codexes take precedence over those in the main 5e rulebook; apparently even if the codex is not a 5e codex(which means all of them except C: SM and C: IG at this time).

Orks and daemons are also 5th ed. codices.

evilsponge
25-03-2009, 20:43
Don't know what it would play like but what about six landspeeders kitted out with what ever weapon type you fancy, and three landspeeder storms with thirty scouts. Combat squad the scouts and take fifteen armed with either shotguns or close combat wepaons and the other fifteen with sniper rifles/Heavy bolters and or missile launcher! You'd have infantry to sit in/on objectives whilst snipers could pick off chosen targets and the flying cavalry could harrang the hell out of anything left!

you can't do this land speeder storms take up fast slots

edit: as in 1 land speeder storm= 1 fast attack slot

Mega Nutz
25-03-2009, 21:39
Yep my bad.. Totally forgot that err minor point!!

sabre4190
25-03-2009, 21:42
Yeah, last edition I saw alot of lists with 9 of them. They were scary, and each one would dish out 7 shots. They could destroy just about anything. They arnt nearly as useful now that they cant claim objectives and assault cannons have been toned down. But they are still deadly.

Sacrednature
26-03-2009, 21:16
Okay so heres a rough list I through together real fast.

Fast Attack - Land Speeder Squadron 150 pts
+Heavy Bolter
+Heavy Bolter 30 pts

+Heavy Bolter
+Heavy Bolter 30 pts

+Heavy Bolter
+Heavy Bolter 30 pts

Troop - Scout Squad 140 pts
+Sniper Rifles
+Heavy Bolter 10 pts

Troop - Scout Squad 140 pts
+Sniper Rifles
+Heavy Bolter 10 pts

HQ - Master of the Forge 100 pts
+Conversion Beamer 20 pts

Elite (Or Heavy) - Dreadnaught 105 pts DropPod35 pts
+Multi-Melta
+Close-Combat-Weapon(Storm Bolter)

+Multi-Melta

+Multi-Melta

Heavy Support - Predator 60 pts
+Autocannon
+Heavy Bolters 25 pts

+Autocannon
+Heavy Bolters 25 pts

+Autocannon
+Heavy Bolters 25 pts

Troop - Tactical Squad 170 pts Rhino 35 pts
+Plasma Gun 10 pts
+Heavy Bolter

Yes, I know, Theres not much anti-tank ability, but I plan on using the Dreadnaughts for anti-armor. The rhino will be able to take the tactical squad to whatever objective they need to take and the scouts will be able to infiltrate. I had a hard time figuring out what HQ to run and I'm not really satisfied with the Master of the Forge. Any suggestions for this kind of armored army?

AbyssRaven
26-03-2009, 21:28
What do you guys fnd the most efficient speeer make ups?
Double heavy Bolter?
And is double flamer at all effective in a Vulkan army?

mughi3
27-03-2009, 10:05
The big problem for speeders is that they are AV10 and if they are in a squadron immobilized=dead.

in order to stay away from bolter death they need to stay outside 24" range. which is why the new typhoon really shines, i dare say it performs even better than the more expensive FW tempest now (although the tempest still looks sexier).

Against MEQ armies this is a valid concern, against orks with such horrible shooting i could see a double flamer speeder surviving to get into them and burn them a new one.

Duh-silly me

If you really want to do a speeder army of doom and your area plays with FW units...you can take squadrons of tempests as heavies (and typhoons for fast) for a white scars army and it is fluff since they created the darn thing as a rapid heavy support unit to keep up with their style of war.

10yrDREADLORD
27-03-2009, 16:44
I run templar with 4 20 men squads and 2 groups of 3 speeders with AC and HB. The speeders lay waste every game because my opponents are too busy dealing with the infantry.