PDA

View Full Version : Hatred and pursue

fishound7
25-03-2009, 08:07
If a charactor with hatred is in a unit that doesn't have hatred and is rear charged and won the combat (attacker breaks and flees) does the charactor have to leave the unit he's with or does the unit just have to persue or does it not apply.

VeriNasti
25-03-2009, 08:15
I think he has to take a test, if fails he pursues separately?

Maetco
25-03-2009, 08:33
Without hatred you can try to prevent your unit from pursuing by passing a leadership test but he can't take that leadership test because of the hatred. Meaning he has to pursue but you can try to restrain the rest of the unit. Hatred makes you always pursue and overrun.

fishound7
25-03-2009, 08:49
Ok so if you are rear charged and you won the combat and the attacker flee's and you hold or restrain from pursuing what direction are you facing? The same direction or are you facing the fleeing unit which is behind you.

separate question :eek:

When is the defending unit able to face the attacking unit which is on said units rear if combat didn't break? Do you decide to face the unit it in your movement phase on your turn? Or are you forced to face the rear attacking unit. Or are you just locked into combat and can't change the way you face. Is it the player's decision.

Again sorry i don't have a rulebook in front of me.

Necromancy Black
25-03-2009, 09:04
No, no, no, all wrong people.

Page 78 clearly says that a frenzy/hatred character in a non frenzy/hatred unit forces the entire unit to fail it's restrain test and pursue the enemy. So the entire unit must pursue if the character had hatred.

fubukii
25-03-2009, 09:18
yes you will have to pursue, but you are not forced to over run if you fully wiped the enemy out thats frenzy

Necromancy Black
25-03-2009, 09:56
yes you will have to pursue, but you are not forced to over run if you fully wiped the enemy out thats frenzy

The very last sentence in the Hatred rules says your wrong. Frenzy and hatred have the exact same rules reguarding pursuing and overrunning.

EvC
25-03-2009, 14:48
See also Necromancy Black's sig for advice on posting in rules thread.

stripsteak
25-03-2009, 14:51
The very last sentence in the Hatred rules says your wrong. Frenzy and hatred have the exact same rules reguarding pursuing and overrunning.

fubukii is correct actually

a unit that has frenzy/hatred must pursue and must overun yes

a character with frenzy/hatred in a unit without cause the unit to always fail their pursue test. however there is no mention of overruns, and you don't test with overruns it's just a choice. so no you don't have to overrun if just the character has frenzy/hatred. (pg 78)

Ok so if you are rear charged and you won the combat and the attacker flee's and you hold or restrain from pursuing what direction are you facing? The same direction or are you facing the fleeing unit which is behind you.

you remain how you were you only turn if you are pursuing or overrunning.

When is the defending unit able to face the attacking unit which is on said units rear if combat didn't break? Do you decide to face the unit it in your movement phase on your turn? Or are you forced to face the rear attacking unit. Or are you just locked into combat and can't change the way you face. Is it the player's decision.

pg46. only the unit that won combat can do anything. and only if you are only engaged in one side (front flanks or rear). so if you won combat with just units in your rear you can then turn maneuver to face them...the turn maneuver is on pg 13

fishound7
25-03-2009, 17:18
So the thing I was thinking about was if a unit has hatred or frenzy and your in a desparate situation in that you don't want that unit to attack your combat blocks charge with fast cav (gyro for me) in the side or rear with the intention of losing combat to redirect thier movement. I know its risky but it sounds like it might work.

If you don't break from combat or fail your break test can you opt to flee?

Again sorry don't have the rulebook in front of me.

nosferatu1001
25-03-2009, 18:25
You cannot opt to flee once in combat. "Flee" is a charge reaction so doesnt apply in combat ;)

fishound7
25-03-2009, 19:33
If your in combat and you get flanked charged can you flee as your charge reaction to the flanking unit even though your in combat to your front?

Lord Zarkov
25-03-2009, 20:09
No you can't. Once already engaged you can't make charge reactions

EvC
25-03-2009, 22:00
fubukii is correct actually

a unit that has frenzy/hatred must pursue and must overun yes

a character with frenzy/hatred in a unit without cause the unit to always fail their pursue test. however there is no mention of overruns, and you don't test with overruns it's just a choice. so no you don't have to overrun if just the character has frenzy/hatred. (pg 78)

Overrun is a form of pursuit, so treat it the same. If a unit overruns into a new enemy unit, you don't say, "Oh well, the rule is called pursuit into fresh enemy, and this is only an overrun, so I don't get to charge, dang it", do you? Well, you might, but it would be especially silly...