PDA

View Full Version : Mech Tau or Troop Tau? YOU Decide.

Zabuza
13-12-2005, 18:02
The argument between these two types of Tau has gotten pretty heated lately. I'm curious as to how many people are on each side.

I, personally, play a fairly balanced list. But have recently been leaning towards Mechanizing my lil blue friends. Especially now that I've seen the new Stealth suits. :D

So, how do YOU play Tau?

-Zabuza-

Acolyte
13-12-2005, 19:17
Personally, I usually play Mechanized, although I sometimes don't use Devilfish for my FW teams, just kermit, who runs the league here, has a terrain fetish and has our boards platered with terrain, making the Devilfish more often then not a huge point sink, at least how I play.

However, static isn't always a bad choice, especially now that Broadsides will be able to buy Slow But Purposeful (Supposedly). The potential in 9 moving, even if they're slow-moving, Railguns is quite obvious.

Also, it depends on your opponents. If you play against a lot of CC-oriented armies-Chaos (Either WE or demon-heavy), Orks, DE, ect, then Mechanized is a lot better, since you can spread out and avoid the fights. Against another shooty-type army-most Marines, Guard, Necrons, ect, then a Static army is probably better.

Personally, though, I prefer Mech Tau.

The Orange
13-12-2005, 19:26
I usually just load up on troops, and specialized squads. But i'm leaning towards mechanized, jsut to see how well it plays.

erion
13-12-2005, 19:26
Be prepared. I use some troops in Devlifish and some troops on foot. Allows you to react to threats while maintaining a firebase.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
13-12-2005, 19:35
It's a good question. However, I'm not an overt fan of the Tau mechanised units. Sure, the Battlesuits are dandy, but the Devilfish can be a liability. When the big guns start firing, they are liable to be picked off for relatively easy VPs.

That being said, I think Tau would perform VERY poorly with an entirely static battleline. Like Paul Atredies, the Tau player must bend like a reed in the wind!

My dream list includes two units of Pathfinders, so quite how the rest will turn out is anybodies guess. However, what with entire Firewarrior units now being equipped with Carbines, the non-mechanised, fluid line could work really rather well. Lots of pinning tests!

As for Heavy Support, I intend on one unit of Broadsides (because I can't afford anothe three Forgeworld ones!) and 2 Hammer Heads with Ion Cannons. I won't go into tactics, as thats another forum, but it looks like I'll be trying out the middle ground.

Zabuza
13-12-2005, 19:40
Has anyone here ever maxed out on Crissis Suits? How did it turn out? I currently run 9 crisis suits, and twelve stealth suits. (should this be moved to the tactics section?)

cailus
13-12-2005, 23:40
Mine is generally balanced. Infantry forces consist of 4 suits (inclusding a Shas'o), 8 SV-15's and 30 Firewarriors split into 5 squads of 6.

kermit
14-12-2005, 00:02
...just kermit, who runs the league here, has a terrain fetish and has our boards platered with terrain, making the Devilfish more often then not a huge point sink, at least how I play.

... I just like the way it feels... oh sorry...

I voted for dumb Tau... I have painted 2 armies now and I hate them.

But, with that said, for difficulty of playing, I would say mechanized has offered me the most difficulty. With vehicles moving and making it harder to hit/penetrate, then that is good. Also, the jump away move that the suits do during the assault phase... quite a nasty thing when you are expecting to assault them during the next turn.

Just as an aside, any vehicle heavy army I find is difficult as I find it hard to 'take out' the strong units in the first turn. This give you an opportunity to better control the game.

The Tau hater, and the terrain lover,

kermit

Getz
14-12-2005, 00:31
I Play fully Mech, and I have played a 15 Crisis Suit list (3000 points). these days, howver, I prefer to run two or three Crisis Team (including a body guard) and a Stealth team around the 2000 mark. It's important to ensure you have enough manpower so I try to make sure I have at least one squad of Fire Warriors or Pathfinders per 500 points of army...

onlainari
14-12-2005, 03:55
I said mechanised, but it's not really. 2 commanders, 3 units of stealths, 6 fire warriors in devilfish, 2 units of kroot, and 3 hammerheads.

Col. Dash
14-12-2005, 04:34
Mech as well. 2 firewarriors in devilfish, 2 hammerheads, pathfinders, stealths, kroot, and a command battlesuit rigged for AV.

2 SidED DiE
14-12-2005, 08:39
Mech
2*12 FW with Fish, 2 railheads, 6 stealth, 2 'el, 3 xv8 (2+1), 8 drones, 12 kroot.

Captain Stuart
14-12-2005, 13:14
I ran mech in 3rd (boy was that dumb) and occasionally do now as well. I have so many options (I ony have 5 painted vehicles), it just depends on what I feel like playing. Lately I've been running 2 squads of pathfinders, 3 hammerheads, some Crisis and 3 max-sized FCW squads. I think it'lll be even better once the new Codex comes out.

Dakkagor
14-12-2005, 13:37
I plan to run a mixed force, with a firewarrior broadside firebase with auxillaires operating alongside crisis teams and stealth suits, along with lots of hammerhead tanks.

SmashemTaBitsa
14-12-2005, 19:25
I don't play tau, but I wanted to vote anyway. I went 'mechanized' because in my experience they tend to pwn. Also, we have plenty of infantry armies, but where are any fully mechanized armies? There are none! In fact, with nearly every army list it is nigh impossible to even try and make a mostly mechanized army, but with Tau, the broadsides and drones provide a rules base for this fluffy fun.

Zabuza
14-12-2005, 19:36
Indeed. And with the new forgeworld Broadsides coming, I think I'll be using more of them now =).

Jonathan =I=
14-12-2005, 19:46
I recently played in a GT and did very well with a Hybrid Tau army that had 60 fire warriors with two squads of 12 mounted and the rest on foot to act as an expendable firebase. The rest of the army consists of pathfinders, kroot, hammerheads and battle suits.

scramasax
14-12-2005, 22:14
I had my best result with a mechanized force. Last tournament was 3 victorious slaughter and 1 solid victory but I won nothing because of composition. 3 devilfish full of firewarrior was not enough troops for the composition rules.

I find it also more fun to play since everything move and I can use more strategy than putting 72 firewarrior and hope they were deployed well enough. It is also fun to see the reaction of people when you play second in an escalation game and nothing is deployed on the table. They don't seem to know what to do for 2 turn with nothing to shoot.

blackroyal
14-12-2005, 22:27
I don't currently run Tau, but when I do it wil be mech. It is the way I see them acting. Why sit and shoot nothing when you can quickly reposition and fire away. If the enemy is too numerous withdraw and fight on better terms. I have the "air force" Dark Eldar army already. I love the feeling of squads in transports. I would do Guard Mech. but I already have over 5000 in Nids and one hoard is enough.

EmperorsChamp01
14-12-2005, 23:24
I all was thought that the Tau should be mechanised. They are the anime type and that is where they got their concept drawling so it just make sence to make them Mechanize.

Captain Stuart
15-12-2005, 03:54
The main problem I have running mechanized is the lack of shots firing. If I have 3 FCW squads in a transport, that's 36 shots I'm missing (maybe 72 in a dream). The burst cannon's short range didn't lend much even with a multitracker upgrade.

OTOH, if the new codex follows IA3 and allows SMS on devilfish, that may change my mind. The new markerlight rules should also improve the effectiveness of gun drones.

Regardless of what you play (and I play all kinds), I play to have fun.