PDA

View Full Version : Allright Folks I need the help of all you Ig players.

Captain Micha
25-03-2009, 14:41
I'm going to be getting some 1:48th scale tanks.

I seriously seriously can not stand in any way shape or form the current Leman Russ models. It looks like a child's wind up toy.

I need some good suggestions for tanks.

I'm fairly sure I'm leaning towards Russian or American tank designs (note this does include the Leopard, and the Challenger as well in the American category since well frankly they are the same tanks with different guns shape wise.) post World War II. So 60s (50s tanks are alot like WW2 tanks and I don't like any of them really) on up to modern era.

I already own a 1:35th scale Tank but I think it's too large after seeing it next to a "real" Russ. It might do for a Superheavy though. (like a Malcador or Macharian)

What's your preferred tank aesthetics for the era given? I am partial to the Russian designs as the original russ is a russian tank (pretty much part for part), but I already own a Russian tank, but I want my current 1/35th to be a Super Heavy and I don't want it to look like my other tanks necessarily.

Russian T-64-T-90?

American tanks?

Others?

Templar Ben
25-03-2009, 14:58
I use WW2 Russian for my Vals and I have scratchbuilt/kitbash Victorian looking for my Vostroyan. What type of army will it be as some tanks will fit better with the over all theme?

Bunnahabhain
25-03-2009, 15:03
Go Western for the main battle tanks, and Russian for the Chimeras.

The western MBTs are angular, whereas most of the Russian ones are rounded, so don't look guard-like.

Chimeras are virtually straight copies of Russian BMPs,

Artillery is your main problem, as virtually all the models available that look right are WW2 era.

If you want centaurs, then you need to go back to WW2- Bren Carriers are the inspiration for Centaurs.. Apart from the price, they're hard to tell apart fromt her FW version.

EDIT. Personally, I am planning to move to 1:48 Tamiya stuff
KV1 for a normal russ, and some varients
KV2 for demolisher, and others
Various ones work for SPGs
IFVs are the problem, not found one that looks right in 1:48 yet. I want BMPs!

Captain Micha
25-03-2009, 15:26
I use WW2 Russian for my Vals and I have scratchbuilt/kitbash Victorian looking for my Vostroyan. What type of army will it be as some tanks will fit better with the over all theme?

http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/art/Close-Up-of-Autocannon-116617684

Kind of like cops with big guns? :D

Deadmanwade
25-03-2009, 15:27
German WW2 era King Tiger.
Most feared Axis tank by a long way.
Its square, bulky and relatively low-tech. Pure Guard material.

Templar Ben
25-03-2009, 15:29
I went with 60's era US.

Captain Micha
25-03-2009, 16:01
Also they are from a Jungle world, that has alot of larger cities on it (but not Hives). The jungles pretty much grow into the cities almost constantly and there are some serious nasties on the planet (think things like Catachan Devils). The world was one of those failed hive fleets that seeded an already tropical world. So there's alot of flamers, autocannons, and special training for dealing with thick terrain.

Templar Ben
25-03-2009, 16:08
If it is like SE Asia then my choice of 60's era US tanks will fit. Are you going to use M113 for transports? People may get RH1NO confusion.

Captain Micha
25-03-2009, 16:11
The tank back then was an M60 A1 correct? It's kinda like Brazil but on steroids. but that's pretty similar to SE asia

Ravensgard
25-03-2009, 16:11
for superheavy, go modern russian tanks

Mannimarco
25-03-2009, 16:17
ive always had a thing for WW2 german tanks, some of the guard tanks are very similar to tanks from that era

Maarten K
25-03-2009, 16:34
Use converted space marine/tau vehicles, different look but still warhammer

Cane
25-03-2009, 16:42
Personally I think modern tank kits look out of place for 40k in terms of both design and proportion.

I voted for 'other' and recommend early, light to medium WW2 tanks like the M3 Stuart and the M3 Grant.

http://www.themworkshop.com/mstudio/img_cheflim2009_grant_000.jpg

Modern tanks are too big and don't have the best layout for 40k weapons like sponsons and hull mounted guns.

Laser guided fanatic
25-03-2009, 19:28
Churchhill for Leman Russ
Churchhill Avro for Leman Russ Demolisher it's perfect!

Lord Damocles
25-03-2009, 19:40
I've always been partial to Ragnaroks based on the Russian KV-2.

http://warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2942475&postcount=534

Templar Ben
25-03-2009, 19:41
M60 Patton would be the one. Be careful as there is an M60A1 in current service that is a bridge layer. Not that you couldn't use it but I don't want you to expect something different.

boogle
25-03-2009, 20:59
go American, and try and use halftracks in lieu of chimeras

Captain Micha
26-03-2009, 12:49
well I found a deal I couldn't refuse... and a tank that I didn't even know existed... it's called a Merkava, it's an Israeli tank. The thing looks awesome, and shares alot in common with our beloved Russ tanks. it has an engine in front to keep the crew abit safer in the front, good protection all the way around but has a rear hatch and more rear mounted turret.

I got them 2 for 20 bucks (USDs). they are 1/48th scale.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370177675727

If anyone else wants some. He's got like 8 left. He also has some Abrams tanks, Challengers, and I think I saw one M60 (I needed two) the M60 is a DIY toy though pretty sure he had some Russian stuff too.

Next question now that I got my tread fix for the normal heavies.

I have a 1/35 scale T-72 that I glued a lascannon to.

What do you think it should count as Super Heavy wise? (still haven't put my sponsons on it so It's in the "flexible" stage) Malcador, Valdor, or Macharian?

http://sparkster11.deviantart.com/art/Last-Tau-103282011

to give you an idea how big it is. I'm told it's abit too short to be the Baneblade.

Vaktathi
26-03-2009, 12:53
Personally I would be a big fan of a King Tiger as a Leman Russ (especially a Vanq). Thick, broad armor, huge powerful gun, but slow and ponderous.

electricwolf
26-03-2009, 13:28
well I found a deal I couldn't refuse... and a tank that I didn't even know existed... it's called a Merkava, it's an Israeli tank. The thing looks awesome, and shares alot in common with our beloved Russ tanks. it has an engine in front to keep the crew abit safer in the front, good protection all the way around but has a rear hatch and more rear mounted turret.

the rear hatch is where the small complement of troops goes. The Merkava is also a troop transport for 6-8 men.

I got them 2 for 20 bucks (USDs). they are 1/48th scale.

I have one of this brand of kits and honestly i wasn't happy with them. The kits are not very well molded and not very detailed.

I think using non-GW tanks is a good idea and i might get one or two but since i play at GW bunkers and GW stores i would only use the non-GW tanks rarely. Yes there are more variations of non-GW tanks but when it comes to price i find that the GW kits are on par with non-GW kits of the same quality.

I use non-GW accessories on my tanks(back-packs, crates, kit bags, etc) to give them a more in-field look.

Eulenspiegel
26-03-2009, 13:48
This topic is relevant to my own interests!

I already own a 1:35 Merkava, and while it´s absolutely in scale with the Guardsmen running alongside it, it has at least 150% the footprint of a standard Russ.

I recently ordered a 1:32 Model from the FoV range to use as a LR or variant (after some conversion).

Now you´ve got me thinking, ... 1:48 you say ...?

Captain Micha
26-03-2009, 15:23
yeah, 1:35 is almost -perfectly- inscale with the guardsmen themselves but is sooo much bigger than a Russ.

I wanted something more in size with the Russ since it's scale does have some serious in game ramifications, so I went 1/48th which I'm told is much closer to the vehicle scale of 40k.

my 1:35 T-72 looks to be more in keeping with a Super Heavy.

Cane
26-03-2009, 15:46
Be sure to post some pics next to a standard Russ or some kind of 40k vehicle when you get the chance! :chrome:

Captain Micha
26-03-2009, 15:53
Be sure to post some pics next to a standard Russ or some kind of 40k vehicle when you get the chance! :chrome:

Next time I'm down at the semi local, but friendly game store and if the other guard player is there I will.

Actually tell you what, gimme a couple minutes. I'll have a picture of my T-72 next to a Devilfish (which as you all know is a fairly large vehicle) and next to my monolith.

the T-72 is 1:35th.

laudarkul
26-03-2009, 15:53
I would say Leopard 1 as a main battle tank and some russians stuff for infantry vehicles...And the STRV 103 for the Destroyer Anti-Tank.

Captain Micha
26-03-2009, 16:06
When my other tanks come in, (should be almost a month from now.. curse you china and international shipping!) I'll get them assembled yikkidy split and take pics.

Pics of my 1:35 are above.

Cane
26-03-2009, 16:17
Thanks for the pics, looks like a cool rug they're sitting on too. The T-72 looks like it could serve as a Macharius chassis.

Captain Micha
26-03-2009, 16:23
yeah I love my Eagle :D It's a throwover (basically a decorative thick comforter for a bed) It's insanely good for taking pics with providing I have decent light. (It's raining today so no good light source). I try to take all pics of minis or drawings with them on it.

Macharian? hehe thats cool. I was the first of my friends to buy minis... now I'm also the first to own a Super Heavy/ insert uber unit here.