PDA

View Full Version : equip a VC Zombie Dragon?

The 2 Black Dragons
25-03-2009, 16:41
Hi there,

just a quick question which I kneed a little help with.

How would you guy's equipe a Zombie Dragon with a Vampire lord on top?

If a magical weapon would that be, in form of a Lance or sword or what ever??

Lance/Shield
Lance/Sword
Sword/Shield

Thanks in advance!

phoenixlaw
25-03-2009, 16:44
I wouldn't put a vampire lord on a zombie dragon, as he needs the protection afforded by his units !

CaliforniaGamer
25-03-2009, 17:14
Lance, only because with Danse you definitely will get the charge off on pretty much anyone.

You have only 2 lances: Balefire spike and Dreadlance. Honestly if you are going Zom, you might as well get the most out of it with Red Fury+Hatred for the Zom itself..in such situations the Dreadlance is less than optimal, points could be better spent on defenses like the wristbands of black gold, crown, armor etc.

Hence balefire spike+hatred+redfury+magic defense is the way to go IMO. Doing the numbers it should kill a thirster more often than not on the charge when optimally configured.

Even in a smaller game with only 1 lord, a zom riding general can be devastating if: you can get to go first (gamble, big time gamble), you get a danse off and are in combat CC turn 1. Overrunning behind enemy lines limiting LOS for artillery fire. Ive done it quite a number of times.

Malorian
25-03-2009, 17:20
Personally I think the best weapon for him is the blood drinker to heal up your dragon.

Then I'd give him the flayed armor and the crown of the damned for protection, and then give him the book.

It's a nasty surprise when a dragon can fly to your flank, the vampire lord blasts you with magic, and then all of a sudden it get vanhelled into your flank and gets all healed up in combat :)

CaliforniaGamer
25-03-2009, 17:29
Personally I think the best weapon for him is the blood drinker to heal up your dragon.

Then I'd give him the flayed armor and the crown of the damned for protection, and then give him the book.

It's a nasty surprise when a dragon can fly to your flank, the vampire lord blasts you with magic, and then all of a sudden it get vanhelled into your flank and gets all healed up in combat :)

the only problem is str5 attacks make it unable to deal with higher toughness foes like greater daemons, enemy lords on horse etc. Str 7 is the big "get to" number: destroys chariots, eliminates AS3+ saves, makes the T6 monsters go down. Also the flaming of the balefire spike eliminates regen from nurgle heralds and enemy wight kings with the dreaded Drak. How cool is it to face off vs. enemy VCs and kill their wight king with the drak on turn1?

If you zom gets low you can always IoN it. If the enemy has a huge artillery line and focuses on it, the blood drinker wont save you anyway.

Honestly aside from big deathstars of blood knights, the blood drinker is overrated for the point cost.

Malorian
25-03-2009, 17:42
The problem with IoN on the dragon is that it is typically away from your line meaning only the vampire lord can heal it. Without a +1 it's harder to cast and you can bet your opponent is going to do it's best to shut it down. If that dragon dies then your vampire lord is basically toast (and so is the game).

Str 7 is nice, but you should seriously be avoiding any greater deamons anyway, and chariots and monsters won't stand a chance either way.

Against that wight king BSB, you can bet the grave guard champ has something to say about that ;) And even once he's out of the way, you've lost the str 7 anyway.

The 2 Black Dragons
25-03-2009, 19:20
right sounds like you all know what you are talking about, driffting off a little bit here ;)

so it would be lance and shield

thanks

Keller
25-03-2009, 19:42
My reccomendation is as follows:

Red Fury, Infinate Hatred, Walking Death
Balefire Spike, Talisman of Protection, Cadaverous Cuirass, Hand of Dust

Gives you S7 on the charge, +1 CR (important against infantry, IMO), rerollable attacks, while you are Immune to KB. The 5+/6+ save isn't much, and is the weakpoint here, IMO. With the Hand of Dust, you can really soften up enemy regiments to eliminate ranks before combat begins, provided you have enough magic to draw out dispel dice ahead of time.

Wintermute
26-03-2009, 20:55
I've moved this thread to Fantasy Tactics

Wintermute

Whitesox
26-03-2009, 21:23
My favorite is

Lord
Zombie Dragon
Level 3 Upgrade
Infinate Hatred
Red Fury
Walking Death
Blood Drinker
Flayed Hauberk
Crown of the Damned

a lot of points but if you're going to do it, do it with style

730pts

but that gets you an average kill rate of
8.9 versus elven spear men with 5 wounds regenerated
or
4.7 versus 2+ save chaos warriors with 2 wounds regenerated...
with +1 to CR and with a half decent general a flank or rear charge he can break units by himself

he has also got a 2+ armour save and 4+ ward save along with the blood drinker so he'll be hard to kill

Spirit
27-03-2009, 13:31
Blood drinker
Flayed hauberk
3+ ward vs shooting / 4+ ward but stupidity (i prefer gold bands, because one failed stupidity test could mean you die)

Combine with

Infinite hatred
red fury
Walking death

There is no issue of "not being able to deal with greater daemons/lords" because you are flying, you can pick your fights.

Your in no danger from shooting and any wounds you do take (remember the dragons only T5 and 5+ save) can be regenerated without relying on magic.

If you fight something unkillable, it's your fault. Why fight a chaos lord when you can charge the next nastiest unit in the flank. The dragon is WS6 with hatred and S6 and you get +1 combat res. Your not gonna go anywhere.

adamstronach
28-03-2009, 00:10
how does the dragon have hatred

Spirit
28-03-2009, 00:27
how does the dragon have hatred

Because under the mount psychology rules, if either the rider or the mount have fear, terror, Immune to psychology, stubborn, stupidity, frenzy or hatred, the whole combined model does.

Note that the dragon only gets hatred, the vampire is the only one that re rolls in every round of combat, as that part of the rule is seperate to the vampire getting hatred.

kairous
28-03-2009, 00:36
Stragous, lord of the night
Vampire lord
Zombie dragon
Magic level
Summon creatures of the night
Dark acolyte
Forbidden lore
Wristbands of black gold
Skull staff
Biting blade
TOTAL = 710

This the vampire that i wrote up for the themed VC list im hoping of doing one day.
The dragons IMO is a much a terror tactic in game as it is outside it, i know alot of plays who think, dragon, better avoid it (of course the other half are like shoot it with everything), so hopefully he is going to be flying around raising dead strengthing units and then maybe causing some damage when he gets time.

40K is more my system so this character might not be well built in the eyes of alot of you guys, but he is also supposed to be filling a theme in my army so i like it:D

Spirit
28-03-2009, 01:21
Stragous, lord of the night
Vampire lord
Zombie dragon
Magic level
Summon creatures of the night
Dark acolyte
Forbidden lore
Wristbands of black gold
Skull staff
Biting blade
TOTAL = 710

This the vampire that i wrote up for the themed VC list im hoping of doing one day.
The dragons IMO is a much a terror tactic in game as it is outside it, i know alot of plays who think, dragon, better avoid it (of course the other half are like shoot it with everything), so hopefully he is going to be flying around raising dead strengthing units and then maybe causing some damage when he gets time.

40K is more my system so this character might not be well built in the eyes of alot of you guys, but he is also supposed to be filling a theme in my army so i like it:D

You dont need forbidden lore for this vamp, bit of overkill with lvl4, vampire magic is awsome anyway.

his setup will be unpopular, but will work solely because you can pick your battles. It wont crack as many units at a combat vamp, but it will crack the ones you want it to . I like it

However, i do magic differently.

+2 Power dice
summon ghouls
infinate hatred

Makes more use of the skull staff for raising and gives the dragon some punch.

Also, give him the balefire lance, 4 S7 attacks with -4 save on the charge is better than 4 S5 with -3 save all the time. Its he same points, why not

Just my take on it. But i do like your idea.

Angelwing
28-03-2009, 17:29
Here's mine:

wristbands of black gold
sword of striking
nightshroud
book of arkhan

infinite hatred
red fury
walking death

680pts

Shiodome
28-03-2009, 18:23
he's asking for modelling purposes, so no need to go beyond the armour type and weapon type. i think most equipment combinations would be best represented by heavy armour, no shiled, magical blade... and some generic 'arcana'. the lances don't seem to get used too much.

kairous
28-03-2009, 21:08
You dont need forbidden lore for this vamp, bit of overkill with lvl4, vampire magic is awsome anyway.

his setup will be unpopular, but will work solely because you can pick your battles. It wont crack as many units at a combat vamp, but it will crack the ones you want it to. I like it;)

However, i do magic differently.

+2 Power dice
summon ghouls
infinate hatred

Makes more use of the skull staff for raising and gives the dragon some punch.

Also, give him the balefire lance, 4 S7 attacks with -4 save on the charge is better than 4 S5 with -3 save all the time. Its he same points, why not

Just my take on it. But i do like your idea.

Cheers for the compliment spirit, means alot coming from someone like you:D

Mannfred
29-03-2009, 12:08
Honestly the best on i've seen is like:

Vampire Lord; Zombie Dragon, Extra Level, Flayed Hauberk, Dread Knight, Infinite Haterd, Red Fury + The Carstein Ring.....

Like it's probably not the best combo but just the feeling that omg...i killed that vampire lord on zombie dragon....omg.....omg....i'm gonna win.....er 2+....try again champ....

priceless moment*

CaliforniaGamer
29-03-2009, 17:49
Honestly the best on i've seen is like:

Vampire Lord; Zombie Dragon, Extra Level, Flayed Hauberk, Dread Knight, Infinite Haterd, Red Fury + The Carstein Ring.....

Like it's probably not the best combo but just the feeling that omg...i killed that vampire lord on zombie dragon....omg.....omg....i'm gonna win.....er 2+....try again champ....

priceless moment*

Dread Knight MUST be on a barded nightmare so this isnt possible and Im not seeing much of a reason to have flayed+dread as both are 2 up armors aside from the lance.

Spirit
30-03-2009, 04:54
Whats even more priceless is using the above combo on a winged nightmare.

VC: "Ah ha! my vampire is back from the dead"
Enemy:"But he is on a flying mount, so he cannot join any unit to come back in.."
VC: "Oh for **** sake"

jax40kplyr1
30-03-2009, 21:10
Agree with Whitesox for the setup - only thing I would change would be the blooddrinker for the Sword of Might. Its a compromise with taking a lance - its still a magic weapon, and gives the VC Lord Str 6. Plus he still has a weapon if the dragon dies (you lose your magic lance now if your mount dies).

apbevan
02-04-2009, 19:48
Option 1
Lvl3 wizard, Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Avatar of Death
Great Weapon, Flayed Hauberk, Carstein Ring

Fly in strike hard, when/if you die appear in a different unit and still be a casting/combat menace

Option 2
Lvl3 wizard, Red Fury, forbidden lore(fire)
Blood drinker, flayed hauberk, crown of the damned

blood drinker to heal, fire spells to cause damage and flaming sword for more damage/negate regen in cc. 2+/4+ save for good defence.

Morello
03-04-2009, 01:07
Option 1
Lvl3 wizard, Red Fury, Infinite Hatred, Avatar of Death
Great Weapon, Flayed Hauberk, Carstein Ring

Fly in strike hard, when/if you die appear in a different unit and still be a casting/combat menace

Option 2
Lvl3 wizard, Red Fury, forbidden lore(fire)
Blood drinker, flayed hauberk, crown of the damned

blood drinker to heal, fire spells to cause damage and flaming sword for more damage/negate regen in cc. 2+/4+ save for good defence.

I personally do not like Flayed on a Lord here, I'd much rather go Cadaverous Cuirass and use the Flayed Hauberk on a lesser Vamp who needs the mundane save. People can slide KB into a lot of characters and it's the quickest way to shut that guy down.

SiNNiX
03-04-2009, 04:56
Infinite Hatred, Red Fury, Beguile, Balefire Spike, Nightshroud, Cursed Book, Wrist of Black Gold and then you can give him Power Stones or additional Magic Levels from there to support your army if need be.