PDA

View Full Version : Savage Orc Chariot

No-One
25-03-2009, 16:55
as my warboss, how do i equip him? lemme hear your opinions people

Malorian
25-03-2009, 18:06
This should be in the tactics page...

Anyway way, I would try to keep him cheap, but adding the pig stikka and/or battle brew can be a nice one.

(Hatred on that many attacks is EVIL!!!)

Braad
25-03-2009, 22:57
Indeed... this would be much better in tactics.

Nah, the battle brew is no good. You already got frenzy, so hatred is the only advantage you can get, and still a 1/3 chance on stupidity. Rather get the akrit axe then, with a certain re-roll that goes for all rounds and +1S first round.

Warboss, right? I would say: Shaga's screamin' sword, Enchanted shield, collar of zorga and bigged's kickin' boots. 100 pts, perfect!
Will give you in normal situations:
D6+1 S5 impact, and attacks: 4 S5 from boars, 2 S4 from boy and 6 S5 from the warboss, with 2+ Armour save and dragon protection.
When you play it well, you should be able to get at least 2 enemy characters in range: the boss now got 8 S7 attacks... should do it, right?

Gazak Blacktoof
25-03-2009, 23:04
I think it would be better to go with iron gnashas instead of the kickin boots (same points). You swap +1 attack for killing blow on all the warboss' attacks. I think 7 attacks with killing blow is better than 8 without.

Crube
25-03-2009, 23:09
Thread moved to WFB Tactics

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

selone
26-03-2009, 00:25
Indeed... this would be much better in tactics.

Nah, the battle brew is no good. You already got frenzy, so hatred is the only advantage you can get, and still a 1/3 chance on stupidity. Rather get the akrit axe then, with a certain re-roll that goes for all rounds and +1S first round.

He has a 2/3 chance of getting hatred on top of his frenzy. Personally I can see the attraction in having hatred in addition to a guaranteed frenzy. I appreciate that on a 5-6 he's 'wasting' frenzy but yet a savage orc boss makes very good use of a 3-4 result compared to a normal orc.

No-One
26-03-2009, 02:55
should i go with the light armor,

i'm thinking shaga's screaming, light armor, enchanted shield, collar of Z, and iron gnashas

what do you guys think?

Shiodome
26-03-2009, 04:49
what happens to the pigstikka if he loses his 'mount' (chariot). does he just counts as being on foot with a choppa/mundane spear? worth asking, seeing as chariots don't last very long.

Braad
26-03-2009, 09:35
Nah, light armour is not 'fluffy' on a savage... Mine will come all naked when I get models for them. But pointswise its not bad, so go ahead if you like it.
Of course, a heavy leather coat was also used in our history as a light armour type, so with a bit of modelling it will look very nice.

He can use the pigstikka only while actually mounted. I believe it is written in a FAQ somewhere. When he is on foot, the bonusses don't count, and its only a weapon with magical attacks.
Personally I rather use that one on a boar, as as single warboss on boar can't negate ranks when you flank a unit and, indeed, you can't loose the boar.

Iron gnasha's are cool too, indeed. I think the last one we came too is very nice indeed.
I got one model with the iron gnasha's actually modelled onto him. I know it might not be a good idea to show of magic items, but it certainly looks cool!

If you make a model for it, please show us!

dannyfave
26-03-2009, 09:45
Man, I can't wait to get my Orc book, the savage orc sounds gnarly.

Urgat
26-03-2009, 10:19
Nah, light armour is not 'fluffy' on a savage...

The models got leather tunics, or pieces of... her... giant lizards skin. They might also have all sorts of piercings. That can represent light armour, fluff-wise.

Braad
26-03-2009, 11:36
Yes, but lizard skin is not 'naked'... A red cape could be nice though.

But yeah, probably I'll do the same thing when it comes to it.

selone
26-03-2009, 14:16
Sadly braad the 7th edition army book has in my eyes really weakened orc and goblin's fluff.

Urgat
26-03-2009, 14:39
The 6th one wasn't any better in that regard to be honest. It introduced Grimgor, to begin with.

Braad
26-03-2009, 15:45
Well, dunno... there's maybe less, but we still got the old stuff. I don't think that fluff has become redundant or something. Maybe a bit more storyline would have been nice though. A lot nicer, actually...

What I personally find a lot more annoying (and is also more related to the topic) is that we got a very meagre magic item list... It's so difficult to make a good combination of stuff. For example, plenty of 30-35 point items, but only few 15-20 nice ones to actually fill up the bosses, resulting in returning combo's all the time, with little diversity.
And the cheaper items we got are nearly all gobbo only, or have negative side effects like stupidity or causes wounds...

No-One
26-03-2009, 17:28
what i'm using for my boss is gonne be the savage orc shaman as he base but with a leg swap(cutting removing and replacing) with a fur waist cape and some armored boots, as for the torso he's gonna have a retarded ammount of piercings, and i'm replacing his forearms with those of the troll bouncer forearms from privateer, shield on left arm made for a dragon skull from the giant kit and sword made to look like a dragons bottow jaw bone type blade as for the gnashas i'm just gonna add the big bone lower jaw from the chariot rider to the skull helmet of the shaman and no-one will really know what it represents unless they know what they're looking for

selone
26-03-2009, 17:35
The 6th one wasn't any better in that regard to be honest. It introduced Grimgor, to begin with.

I played Orcs in the 5th and totally missed 6th and am of course now playing seventh. not just the background but the 'feel' of the army seems somewhat watered down.

Urgat
26-03-2009, 17:36
And the cheaper items we got are nearly all gobbo only, or have negative side effects like stupidity or causes wounds...

You're not supposed to complain, it's the random side of orcs, it's supposed to be fun :p

While the 6th ed book was superior in almost every aspect to the 7th ed one (bare the hoppers, I'd dare say, in fact), I also blame it for making all gobs armies too good, and bringing about the 7th ed nerf...
What I did like, fluff wise, in the 6th ed book, was Wuurzhag. So of course he got cut out in the new book >> I mean, a special character that you could easily explain in any army fluff-wise, why the heck would one keep that?

Braad
26-03-2009, 20:34
Ow, yes, that was a nice special character... I got the model like a year ago, sadly no rules to accompany it anymore. Never tried the actual character... Though ofcourse I can still use the old rules. Maybe I'll just do that, some time.

BTW, that the fluff is no longer in the current book, doesn't mean its dead. Its still around. No worries.

Anyway, back on topic. I think we already complained enough about the orcs.
Another combo which is nice for a savage warboss on chariot: Akrit axe, spiteful shield, kickin' boots, collar of zorga.
6 rerollable attacks at S6 for the warboss, hits back for any fluffed attack (try combining with the spell Gork'll fix it! for more 1'es) and a bit of protection from big beasties. The boy, boars and impact provide additional damage.

The spiteful shield can be quite nice BTW, and shouldn't be underestimated. I once put it on a character, and he got charged by a unit of saurus with an oldblood. The oldblood attacked my character, rolled 3 1'es and got killed on the spot :D
Okay, needs a bit of luck, but if you also cast Gork'll fix it on the opponent, you might as well get lucky enough.

No-One
27-03-2009, 07:54
is da best basha worth taking?

Braad
27-03-2009, 08:59
Best basha? On a goblin: certainly!
On an orc? Well, you already got the +1S for the choppa, and I find this the most influential one of the stats that get +1 by this item. Initiative... usually the most important round of combat is the one where the charge just taken place, so I think there's better items for this round.
And WS, for a black orc warboss: no use. WS3 units already strike you on a 5+, and for WS 4 units to do so you need an increase of 2, not 1. And you already hit most targets on a 3+.
For an orc warboss or black orc big boss, its different, as the +1WS will give you 7, so that WS3 basic troops suddenly need 5+ instead of 4+ to hit.

But personally, I like it most on gobbo's. They really can use the +1S. Though a great axe can do even better, and leaves room for other items.

It's also a question of 'worth'... pointswise, its a cheap item, so it will most of the time be 'worth it' pointswise, but there is better equipment available.

That's my 2 cents...

selone
27-03-2009, 09:15
is da best basha worth taking?

Yes, for its points its very good. I'd actually say its most worth taking on an orc big boss but probably not a warboss, where you want something more meaty.
On a black orc big boss it'll take you to being hit on a 5+ by average infantry if the even exist anymore and hitting really elite infantry on a 3+ (chosen, sword masters of hoeth)
On an orc or savage orc it'll allow them to hit elite infantry (dwarf elites, certain elfs, demons etc etc) on a 3+ as well as allow you to fight other hereoe's better.
A permanent magical S5 is pretty handy too allowing you to bash in t3 enemies with ease.
The +1 I will be pretty ineffictive against most enemies but that said it will raise an orc big boss's feeble initiative high enough to go first against certain enemies, especially if you won combat.

I like it a lot and use it a lot in my smaller point games (1250-1500) on my bigboss. It allows me to take a defensive item and still be fairly fightingy :D