PDA

View Full Version : Does 6th ed need a 'Psychic' phase?

Lord Malorne
25-03-2009, 17:39
With the impact being psychic has on the background for almost every race, how it is supposed to be a big part of there forces for most of them, all I really see is the odd doom or guide in an eldar army and rarely if ever a librarian. There are a lot of anti-psychic options for a lot of armies yet never a reason to take them really. Add to that all those psykers who do not count as psykers :rolleyes:.

So I ask you, should psychic powers take more of an active roll in our games?

EDIT:I do not mean like a magic phase, so stop crying about the magic phase.

danny-d-b
25-03-2009, 17:43
no
if you did that you would have to find a way for tau and nercrons to get some psychic protection, plus it would make it more complicated

sliganian
25-03-2009, 17:43
With the impact being psychic has on the background for amost every race, how it is supposed to be a big part of there forces for most of them, all I really see is the odd doom or guide in an eldar army and rarely if ever a librarian. There are a lot of anti-psychic options for a lot of armies yet never a reason to take them really.

So I ask you, should psychic powers take more of an active roll in our games?

Answer to the thread headline topic:
No, it doesn't need a psychic phase. What it does need is a "Turn 0" phase or a "Pre-Movement Actions" phase to keep some things a bit cleaner.

Answer to your actual question in the post:
No, 'magic" does not need a higher profile than it already has in 40K. If I want to play with lots of magic I have a High Elf army.

Lord Malorne
25-03-2009, 17:45
The point is, part of the 40k world includes psychic powers and the awesomeness of them, yet has no real gaming presence.

Its seems people are saying no in an off hand manner as they are afraid it will complicate the game and be like the WFB magic phase...shame.

Bookwrak
25-03-2009, 17:49
It has plenty of gaming presence. The level it's currently at is fine, and I honestly can not think of anything lacking that would be fixed by going back to having a 'psychic phase.' The last time it existed is, in general, not so fondly remembered.

sydbridges
25-03-2009, 17:50
I don't see why. If the psychic powers aren't very common, then perhaps some of them could use tuning to make them better, but I don't think the entire structure of the game need change. For some armies, it would be a completely pointless phase - Necrons and Tau would basically sit there and take it, since fluffwise one hates the Warp and psychic powers and the other basically is 'tone-deaf' to the warp.

Besides, how rare can psychic powers be, when every "what army is the cheesiest" thread mentions dual Lash demon princes? Presumably it's not just one guy who plays everyone with that setup.

Robineng
25-03-2009, 17:51
I dont really think theres a need for a psychic phase, I use psychic powers in every game with my army... But I dont really want to feel forced to take psychic powers to remain competitive, prefer it being just another option for a viable army.

Captain Micha
25-03-2009, 17:53
There's not a need for the psychic phase. 40ks execution of the Psychic powers is simple and brilliant. Especially since at that point you have armies like Tau and Crons. Who have no defense.

Better to just handle it the way it is now.

evilsponge
25-03-2009, 17:56
No need to turn 40k into Herohammer

Lord Damocles
25-03-2009, 17:59
Wouldn't you just do what you do now, but at a slightly different time in the turn? and how would you work powers which currently are used in different phases? There's not much point casting Guide after the shooting phase, and casting Lightning Arc before the shooting phase would cause confusion, etc. etc.

Personnaly I can't see that 40K would gain much from it.

The last time it existed is, in general, not so fondly remembered.
Ah, Temporal Distort...
:evilgrin:

Ubermensch Commander
25-03-2009, 18:00
I would say "no". I do not want a "magic phase" introduced into the game. There uis no need for that I can see. Pyschic powers have an effect on the game, just not quite the scary-as-all-get-out capabilities of 2nd ed.

RampagingRavener
25-03-2009, 18:00
I dont really think theres a need for a psychic phase, I use psychic powers in every game with my army... But I dont really want to feel forced to take psychic powers to remain competitive, prefer it being just another option for a viable army.

This is the key point, I think. From what I gather, Magic in Fantasy is pretty much essential for most armies. Even if you don't take any offensive magic, you need one or two lvl1 mages with Dispel scrolls to give you some form of anti-magic defence.

In 40k, it's different. The only army I can think of which utterly relies upon Psychic Powers are Tyranids. Even Eldar can get away without a Farseer, though it isn't particularly advisable. Psykers in general, however, are a useful addition to an army, used to get some more esoteric abilities in. However, the fact that an army can be competitive without them can only be a good thing; it lets people field what they want, without feeling like they have to take a Psyker just in case they run into an enemy one. I don't think increasing the potency and/or number of Psychic Powers is going to add anything to the game, but rather, will deduct variety from it.

Bookwrak
25-03-2009, 18:39
Ah, Temporal Distort...

To paraphrase another recent thread, 'Did you enjoy my shooting phase? I know I did, so much so that I'm going to do it again!'

Templar Ben
25-03-2009, 18:53
I am voting no. First of all, GW should drop phases and move to activation of units. Secondly I am all for more psychic powers but the can be used when appropriate. This power gives me fleet so I use it in movement, that power shoots lightening so I use it during shooting, this power scares you so I use it during morale. That seems clean.

Fire Harte
25-03-2009, 19:01
The game doesn't need it, but it is a nice alternative mate that would be very interesting to see.

lanrak
25-03-2009, 19:05
Hi all.
Out of all the things 40k is in desperate need of, a seperate psychic phase is NOT one of them.

Psychic abilities are incorperated with the apropriate 'normal actions.'

I would say this is probably one of the very few efficient changes from 2nd ed.

TTFN
Lanrak.

Earthbeard
25-03-2009, 19:06
No.

Not a Fan

monopeludo
25-03-2009, 20:02
I field psiquers nearly every game because I play Demonhunters. But no, WH40K doesn't need it.

Kyrolon
25-03-2009, 20:05
I can understand the OP's reason for thinking of a seperate psychic phase. I am not a big fan of the way powers are cast hither and yon across the phases. It also leaves us with some clunky mechanisms like things that happen "at the beginning of the turn". Oh how I hate that phrase.

What they should do is leave powers that are shooting in the shooting phase. Powers that work in HtH in the assault phase, and define a phase at the beginning of the turn for the powers that are used then. Make it clear how it interacts with anything else that happens at the beginning of the turn etc. In that respect, a seperate (but brief) psychic phase already sort of exists for some armies. Clarifying this could only be a good thing.

Further, every power should have a consistent entry. It should denote the following:

Range, Shooting or non shooting power, phases usable, may target friendlies?, etc.

I am sure there are a coiuple other things I didn't think of that should be there. If they DID do this it would clear up a lot of the questions. Of course we know they won't because they seen to treat every release as its own little continuum where the formats of others don't matter. If they'd ever standardize some things there would be a lot fewer question. They won't though. That would be too technical and in GW's opinion too hard for 12 year old to grasp. Personally I think they underestimate kids.

sabre4190
25-03-2009, 21:55
Psychic powers are pretty much divided into one of two things:
1) Purely offensive blasty powers. These work perfectly well in the shooting phase.
2) Support powers.

Now, the only purpose a "psychic" phase would serve is to have some kind of interaction, like "dispelling". A magic phase is needed in Fantasy because of power dice pools, and dispelling. If this was moved to another phase, it would be strangely messy. A magic phase just works. Image if magic missles were in the shooting phase, but movement powers were in the movement phase. Dispelling and power dice pools would be a mess.

Now, in 40k, that interaction wouldnt be needed. I dont see a "psychic" power pool actually working, because too many races dont use them and HQs are so much more limited in 40k. You would need an HQ to participate in this phase, as some ordinary troop wouldnt have any warp powers. I can have a combat hero and two magic heroes in fantasy, but you never see that in 40k. It would, at most, be a duel between two psykers. And thats assuming both races can have them. Necrons, tau, and dark eldar have 0 psykers on the field, and many players avoid magic users in imperial armies for fluff reasons. Eldar and Daemons would dominate this phase to a ridiculous margin. If the phase is going to mean something, it would mean that many races wouldnt even have a shot of doing anything here.

Also, the current psychic powers are not messy and fit well into the game structure. A shooty power doesnt need its own phase when it works just like every other weapon. A support power can happen at any time really. You dont need a full phase to give your squad rerolls to hit.

So, unless you want a dispel phase, which should not happen, psychic powers work well within other phases. We dont need psychic power pools either.

solkan
25-03-2009, 22:13
Unless you mean 'a phase before movement to do all of your non-psychic shooting weapon powers' for 'psychic phase', then a 'psychic phase' wouldn't be helpful.

The introduction of a WHFB-like psychic phase would only shift the game balance towards Thousand Sons and Warlock/Farseer heavy armies at the expense of practically everyone else.

Do you really want to see every Space Marine army become 'Choose 1 special character, choose 1 librarian or inquisitor, choose two troops and then spend the rest of your points'?

Lord Inquisitor
25-03-2009, 22:15
Yes!

There are two levels to this one. Firstly, even with the system as it is, a discrete psychic phase would be a great idea. "Oh, wait, I forgot to cast Warp Time at the start of the turn?" "Is Doom cast in the shooting phase or the start of the turn?" etc. The psychic powers are all over the place in terms of when they're used. Make a phase, stick to it. Probably best at the start of the turn or just before or after the shooting phase. It would be essentially the same as the current system, just with far less confusion as to when psionics are used.

That said, I do think that a proper psychic system akin to the magic system - perhaps not quite as powerful - would be really nice. That would be a pain to implement, because it would require a full review of the codecies to manage, but it would be an improvement for sure.

Zephro
25-03-2009, 22:43
I'm voting yes. But that's largely because I prefer the more characterful crazyness that goes along with it or things like Vortex grenades. Made things more fun imo, if somewhat less balanced. But balls to balance.

Bunnahabhain
25-03-2009, 23:27
No.

It doesn't NEED a psycic phase. However, having one, if done sensibly, would be a good way to tidy up lots of stuff, and a good thing.

AndrewGPaul
25-03-2009, 23:32
Ah, Temporal Distort...

Nitpick; Temporal Distort wasn't in 2nd edition.

Onto the OP; I don't think it needs a 'psychic phase'. What the game needs is clearer timing rules - what order "start of turn" effects take place, etc, etc. That's wider than just psychic powers.

While I'm on the subject,

psychic.
psyker.

not physic, psiker, psiquer, syich or whatever. :)

Azzy
25-03-2009, 23:45
The presence of psykers seems to rise with each new codex. Orks got the Weirdboy back, IG are getting Primaris Psykers and squads of Sanctioned Psykers (that are worthwhile). There's really no need for a heavy-handed approach to force the issue any more.

As it stands, it would be completely unnecessary and add nothing to the game. Besides, it would much about with some of the existing powers.

Lord Malorne
26-03-2009, 00:06
The reason I used phase was just to 'make it an important part of the game', as it is meant to be, there is currently no incentive and in many cases no reason to have psykers.

My problem is, psykers are alluded to big pivitol roles in each (almost each) races armies, the gaming books have measures to stop enemy pyskers, yet the only army that uses a lot, are not really actualy counted as psyker powers.

For me it should be, make them better or get rid of them.

Abaddonshand
26-03-2009, 00:25
As others have said, we don't really need a psychic phase, perhaps clarifying when certain powers act would be a good idea, but that's all (e.g. Catalyst is an assault psychic power, it takes place in the assault phase, Smite is a shooting phase psychic power, it takes place in the shooting phase... come to think of it, does this seem familiar?)

One must remember, the pivitol roles allocated to psykers are often in relation to non-front line duties. Look at space marine librarians. They took a stat hit, because they are support characters, their primary function is to send telegrams and try to predict enemy movements based on warp ripples (N.B. Case in point of off battlefield support, DA librarians are used to help question captured fallen, not for doing the actual capturing)

Imperial guard view their psykers in the same way, yes they can do some damage, but lets face it, they are effective vox units that have overheating issues.

Eldar psykers again provide support (fluffwise anyway), rather than combat prowess, e.g. doom, fortune and so on, you want hard hitters (with the odd exception), get an avatar or autarch.

Again CSM, with the exception of daemon princes, psykers are support, they help come up with the "dastardly plan" TM, summon the daemons, etc

The only exceptions to this really are the Daemon Hunters (Inquisitors generally too), Daemons, and Tyranids, who couldn't function without psychic support, although, IIRC, many daemon abilities are do not require psychic tests anyway. This is definately the case for nids, thus these armies wouldn't really need a psychic phase either.

Creeping Dementia
26-03-2009, 00:59
I voted No. First off both of the armys I play don't use psykers at all (Pure sisters, Tau). My Tau already don't participate in the CC phase, why would I want another phase I can't do anything in.

Other than that, I'd rather not have Psychic powers become a more dominant part of the system. I always hated in Fantasy the fact that I had to spend a couple hundred points in Magic defence, and I'd prefer not to have to do the same thing in 40k. Just my opinion though.

sic
26-03-2009, 01:21
No thanks, been there done that and i didnt like it much then.

I think with a dedicated psychic phase people would be back at the 'I have to take a psychic of some sort to be competitive' thing that plagued 2nd ed.

Leave the psychic stuff as support for the regular phases is probably the best idea imo.

Im just remembering all those nullify cards and 10 minutes of psychic phase from 2nd ed where nothing happened. Shudder....

Ronin_eX
26-03-2009, 01:25
Yes!

There are two levels to this one. Firstly, even with the system as it is, a discrete psychic phase would be a great idea. "Oh, wait, I forgot to cast Warp Time at the start of the turn?" "Is Doom cast in the shooting phase or the start of the turn?" etc. The psychic powers are all over the place in terms of when they're used. Make a phase, stick to it. Probably best at the start of the turn or just before or after the shooting phase. It would be essentially the same as the current system, just with far less confusion as to when psionics are used.

That said, I do think that a proper psychic system akin to the magic system - perhaps not quite as powerful - would be really nice. That would be a pain to implement, because it would require a full review of the codecies to manage, but it would be an improvement for sure.

More or less how I feel. Like most other things in 40k it needs a healthy dose of standardization in order to aid efficiency. It is inefficient to have to state when a power is activated in every power description. What they need to make is a maintenance/start/beginning phase in which things like Deep Strike, Reinforcements/Flanking, morale and other "start of the turn" things actually happen rather than the rather vague description we get now. This way all psychic abilities are activated at the start of the turn and then used as normal during the phase in which they are used. You'd activate Smite in the start phase and then come shooting phase you just use it.

I think people need to stop jumping on an assumed meaning of a term when these topics come up. Everyone jumped in assuming that the only way to make a psychic phase is to use the clunky 2nd Edition system or some derivative of the WFB magic system. So while the OP may have needed to describe the term a bit more (maybe offer a few different options instead of a binary poll) jumping on and saying no because you don't want 2nd Edition again is giving a fairly narrow definition of what you don't want. It's the same if someone says "should 40k have a reaction mechanic" and everyone and their dog jumps in and says "no overwatch was broken!"

There are more ways to solve a problem than what we see in 40k/WFB so people should try and think about how something could work before discounting it so easily because GW has failed to make a good system out of it. Meanwhile posters making these threads need to define terms if they are making a poll or simply ignore making it a polling issue and ask a question like "what would be the best way of implementing a psychic phase?" or something similar. Just saying it before this devolves into a 2nd Edition/WFB bash fest (and I don't feel like coming in and correcting misconceptions of the former :p). So screw the pole and ask yourselves "how should it work?"

sic
26-03-2009, 01:35
You're right that it wouldnt be a 2nd ed card based crap fight like it used to be and although i do have bad memories of it i just dont think it needs a specific phase.

Personally im ok with how it works now with doing tests and using powers as they are needed in the phases that the power will take effect.

In my gaming group we pretty much just test for powers before they are needed. You want to put guide on a unit, test for it before you want to use it, if a power works for a whole phase then test at the start of the phase applicable. We dont seem to have too many problems to be honest.

sydbridges
26-03-2009, 01:59
What they need to make is a maintenance/start/beginning phase in which things like Deep Strike, Reinforcements/Flanking, morale and other "start of the turn" things actually happen rather than the rather vague description we get now.

Isn't already basically a phase? Before you move, you do your 'start of the turn' stuff. I guess you could call it a specific phase.

This way all psychic abilities are activated at the start of the turn and then used as normal during the phase in which they are used. You'd activate Smite in the start phase and then come shooting phase you just use it.

Why is that any better than activating the power when you're about to use it? At least in the current set up, you aren't likely to test for perils of the warp and then forget that you'd gone to that trouble when you get to the shooting phase.

I think people need to stop jumping on an assumed meaning of a term when these topics come up. Everyone jumped in assuming that the only way to make a psychic phase is to use the clunky 2nd Edition system or some derivative of the WFB magic system.

Well, one of the big reasons for jumping on it is that many armies don't have any need for a psychic-only phase. Necrons and Tau (and, I believe, Dark Eldar) literally have nothing that requires such a phase, and only a few armies can ever have more than two psykers in total (exceptions with Guard with sanctioned psykers, 'Nids with their various psychic bugs, and Chaos with their 1k sons sorcerers, and maybe Eldar (don't have the codex)... I thought daemons would also be an exception, but as far as I can tell, they don't have *any* psykers in the army, they just have special abilities that act like psychic powers without psychic tests.)

So, we're talking about a problem that is only likely to be prevalent in four armies, a problem which three armies don't have at all, and the solution of putting the activation into the start of the turn needlessly splits up activation and use of psychic powers.

Now, if we're talking about just adding an official step zero "do your pre-movement crap here" phase, sure, that's sensible. It basically already exists, this would just make it official. But I don't see any reason to activate every psychic power during this phase - just the ones that currently say "at the beginning of the turn."

holmcross
26-03-2009, 03:29
No. Magic phases are for fantasy. I don't want to see armies that just sit back with loads of psychic powers and skip thier assault phases.

How many people who voted 'yes' play Eldar? Being able to dominate in movement, shooting and assault isn't enough for you, eh :P

Warseer, I can see it now...

"Eldar underpowered in the psychic phase?"
"Eldar needs help in the psychic phase"
"Buff Eldar's psychic abilities!"

And here is what would be contained within:

"<some ridiculous request for a broken mechanic> ... because they're supposed to be the best __<psykers>__ in the game, as per the fluff!"

Wait, isn't that already the format Eldar players use?

Unless you mean 'a phase before movement to do all of your non-psychic shooting weapon powers' for 'psychic phase', then a 'psychic phase' wouldn't be helpful.

The introduction of a WHFB-like psychic phase would only shift the game balance towards Thousand Sons and Warlock/Farseer heavy armies at the expense of practically everyone else.

Do you really want to see every Space Marine army become 'Choose 1 special character, choose 1 librarian or inquisitor, choose two troops and then spend the rest of your points'?

^ this too.

Ronin_eX
26-03-2009, 07:55
Isn't already basically a phase? Before you move, you do your 'start of the turn' stuff. I guess you could call it a specific phase.

Tell that to the people who argue for hours on end about when you do deepstrike and other odd things. It really should be formalized as an actual phase for that kind of thing instead just being left up to individual players.

Why is that any better than activating the power when you're about to use it? At least in the current set up, you aren't likely to test for perils of the warp and then forget that you'd gone to that trouble when you get to the shooting phase.

There wont be any argument about when a power should be activated anymore. Not sure if it is the case anymore but there have been powers that needed to be activated in a specific phase but are used in another. If all psychic powers are activated at one time then no longer do we have to care about explaining when they need to be activated because it just happens in the start of turn phase. The other option is to test before you use it but GW haven't opted for either, they make you test in a specific phase defined by the ability itself but a better way would be to pick a universal method and save the space of having to explain when it can be used.

Well, one of the big reasons for jumping on it is that many armies don't have any need for a psychic-only phase. Necrons and Tau (and, I believe, Dark Eldar) literally have nothing that requires such a phase, and only a few armies can ever have more than two psykers in total (exceptions with Guard with sanctioned psykers, 'Nids with their various psychic bugs, and Chaos with their 1k sons sorcerers, and maybe Eldar (don't have the codex)... I thought daemons would also be an exception, but as far as I can tell, they don't have *any* psykers in the army, they just have special abilities that act like psychic powers without psychic tests.)

So, we're talking about a problem that is only likely to be prevalent in four armies, a problem which three armies don't have at all, and the solution of putting the activation into the start of the turn needlessly splits up activation and use of psychic powers.

Now, if we're talking about just adding an official step zero "do your pre-movement crap here" phase, sure, that's sensible. It basically already exists, this would just make it official. But I don't see any reason to activate every psychic power during this phase - just the ones that currently say "at the beginning of the turn."

I was personally lumping this in with phase zero as it is only logical to actually define something that is talked about so often. Adding in psychic powers to this hypothetical "maintenance" phase seems logical to me (as does the cast before using method) as the current method of defining it per power is clumsy and ineffective. They should either have a set phase for it (be it "phase 0", movement, shooting or assault) or they should allow activation the minute you need it (like in Warmachine/Hordes).

Most of my rant was just at the people who jump on posts like this with assumptions about the meaning of the terms. People suggest bringing some form of modifiers back and are told no because 2nd Edition had too many (even if it really didn't), people wonder if adding in a reaction mechanic would make things more interesting and are shot down because Overwatch was overpowered (even if it wasn't), and people who ponder bringing in movement values are told about how complicated it was in older editions (even if it wasn't). People are quick to set a straw man up and knock it down instead of thinking about how additions like this could work. Because the simple fact is that other games handle all of these things just fine without much slow down or extra complexity.

I notice it every time some one posts about adding something back into the game, everyone assumes they mean adding the exact same system back in instead of thinking how it can be changed or improved. I is the kind of knee jerk reaction common with many 40k players who haven't had a chance to see the innovations made in the industry (the entire industry) in the past 20+ years and it gets tiresome after a while. Thus I just needed to rant about it for a bit. :p

Bloodknight
26-03-2009, 08:03
I voted yes, but I don't think we need more psyker powers or them having more impact on the game or them working differently - I'd rather have a formalized point in the game when all that existing stuff gets done instead of powers being all over the place.

the neckbone
26-03-2009, 09:00
I want to say yes cause the magic phase in warhammer is downright fun and interesting. however while i would like to see how a "magic" phase would work in 40k i dont think at the moment we actually need a pychic phase there isnt that much pychic...ness to go round.

The_Outsider
26-03-2009, 09:26
Hell lets just go play fantasy since warseer sems to think that is the pinnacle of game design.

Psychic powers are not common enough (nor of such power) that they warrant their own phase - if you want that then you are about 15 years too late. Buffing spychic powers to the level where they warrant their own phase would snap the game in half - as it stands they work very well currently and lets not forget there are what? 5 Pieces of wargear in the game that counter psychic powers?

It would be like having a free phase because you feel like it.

Poseidal
26-03-2009, 11:28
Yes!

Though it shouldn't be limited to Psychic powers, but be related to things that have a 'remains in play' effect, and things like Deepstrike.

I would put it in between Movement and Shooting - this way we can remove the clause that deepstriking units can't move in the movement phase because it's already happened.

It also goes a long way to streamlining the rules for players. There are far too many 'at the beginning of the turn' things.

Annoyingly it's possible that not all Phychic powers would be used in the phase.

Example: Force Weapon - this is reactive on causing a wound.

There could be a way of shoehorning it in, for example making it more like an 'enchant' cast on the weapon that affects the next wound it causes.

PaddyF
26-03-2009, 11:46
Only if we get the stack of power cards back so I can pretend I am Gambit.

loveless
26-03-2009, 14:27
Eh...no. I'd rather they do away with "Psychic Powers" altogether and just have other portions of the game take over their duties. I feel that Codex: Chaos Daemons was a step in the right direction. Obviously my opinion isn't popular, but with Psychic Hoods, Runes of Whatever, Shadow in the Warp, Soulless, etc. etc. - it's a lot of crap that's not going to help you one bit against Necrons, Tau, or (oddly enough) Daemons.

It all breaks down to another dice roll - often against leadership 9 or 10 - so really, what's the point? I'd rather that Psykers just "Got" their powers, and that GW toned them down accordingly.

Poseidal
26-03-2009, 14:42
it's a lot of crap that's not going to help you one bit against Necrons, Tau, or (oddly enough) Daemons.
Maybe this is more of an issue with Necrons, Tau and Daemons?

Though very few are based around it, the majority of armies can actually field psykers. The above are the exception, not the rule and Daemons really shouldn't be an exception either.

(EDIT: Dark Eldar don't have psykers either, but have some anti-psyker wargear)

sydbridges
26-03-2009, 14:46
Maybe this is more of an issue with Necrons, Tau and Daemons?

Though very few are based around it, the majority of armies can actually field psykers. The above are the exception, not the rule and Daemons really shouldn't be an exception either.

Can, but most of them can only field two at most. And many builds have zero.

A dedicated psychic phase would be only helpful to a subset of players - unlike, say the movement, shooting, or assault phases, where pretty much every build of every army has something they can do in these phases (only exception I can think of is an entirely infantry-less armored company - I suppose they'd have nothing to do in their own assault phase).

Meriwether
26-03-2009, 14:59
No!!!

If 40K is going to play around with phases, I think it should be with a 'resolution' phase put before close combat.

I move, shoot, then make assault moves.
You move, shoot, then make assault moves.
Resolution (break tests, etc).
Assault phase.

Of course, this would require some massive revamping of the close combat rules (as it would cut the number of assault phases in *half*), but....

It's still a much better idea than a phase just for psychic powers.

Dark Millennium had its own assault phase. I don't think it's necessary. I much prefer the 'different powers take place in different phases, according to their nature' setup that we have now.

Meri

Roachcoach
26-03-2009, 15:19
"Psychic" phase: No

Generic "all sundry stuff" phase: Probably.

I'm sure minds less fried than mind today can think of a better name

Vic
26-03-2009, 15:44
No, thats why we have WHFB. What pscyh 40k does have is enough IMO...

Nero
26-03-2009, 15:58
Yes. GODS YES!

Anything to make the game less bland and homogenised. :eyebrows:

Sheena Easton
26-03-2009, 16:07
I wouldn't mind - but wouldn't want a return to the hideously overpowered 2nd Ed Psychic Phase or a switch to the "all or nothing" Fantasy set-up.

Deetwo
26-03-2009, 16:11
Seriously no.
The current version of integrating psychic powers in phases works very well, though the actual general rules could use a bit of depth and streamlining and most of "at the start of turn" stuff could be shifted somewhere else, like using fortune when you actually need the reroll similar to the SoB faith inv save.

Brucopeloso
26-03-2009, 16:27
Er, do we need a 6th ed yet?
In any case, no 40K does not need a psychic phase in my opinion (please fix the lash though)

Dangersaurus
26-03-2009, 16:46
I LOVE the psychic phase in 2nd edition. It's a game within a game. I vote (a very guarded) yes. Instead of the psychic vs. psychic battles of 2nd it would need to be psychic vs. the warp (controlled by the opposing player) to keep from making psykers "must-have" units.

10yrDREADLORD
27-03-2009, 17:20
I voted yes because 1) I love the idea of certain models having powers but you never see it in the game and 2) because I think if someone is that skilled they should also have the ability to shoot a weapon in the shooting phase as well

The_Outsider
27-03-2009, 17:52
I voted yes because 1) I love the idea of certain models having powers but you never see it in the game and 2) because I think if someone is that skilled they should also have the ability to shoot a weapon in the shooting phase as well

"Maugan is a master of long range firepower, therefore he should be able to shoot the maugetar while fleeting because he has over 10,000 years of experience!"