PDA

View Full Version : Is Engine of the God a spell?

40kdhs
25-03-2009, 18:12
I want to be sure because HE has a magic item which gives a wardsave to a character and his joined unit in addition to a magic banner which makes a unit immuned to all spell effect.

Will these items work?

thank you for answering my question.

Pantsless
25-03-2009, 18:20
It specifically says that you get no armor saves, and general concencus is that the attack is magical, so you wouldn't get a ward from it (Unless you're a deamon...) We have to wait and see if GW officially says that it's magical, and flaming in a FAQ.

It is a spell, but it cannot be dispelled. It's basically a bound spell, launched from the Engine, that has no power level, IE, can't be dispelled.

nosferatu1001
25-03-2009, 18:22
It is not stated as a spell, just cannot be dispeled. I would say your banner would not work....

Spirit
25-03-2009, 18:41
It is not stated as a spell, just cannot be dispeled. I would say your banner would not work....

Agreed with this one.

40kdhs
25-03-2009, 18:47
The banner which I mentioned was the world of dragon.

40kdhs
25-03-2009, 18:50

The fact that you do it in the magic phase does not mean that it is a spell?

It's a different kind of spell which can't be dispelled.

Can you use engine of the god when you engage in CC?

thank you.

Bac5665
25-03-2009, 19:03
Spells are identified as spells. In fact, all things are identified as what they are. What I mean is, if something says that it is something, than it is. If it doesn't, than it isn't.

If something says its a spell, its a spell. If it doesn't say that its a spell, than it isn't a spell.

For your second question, ask yourself how you would go about dispelling the EoTG. Because it doesn't have a power level, its pretty hard to figure that one out. When something like that happens, where a set of rules doesn't seem to apply, they probably don't.

Your third question is answered clearly and simply in the Lizardmen army book, and really, we're not supposed to answer questions like that because its basically just cutting and pasting from the book, which is bad.

ScalySkin
25-03-2009, 21:42
Engine of the Gods can be used in CC as it is not considered a spell and it is not cast by a spell caster (cast is not the right word, triggered would be more appropriate).

My understanding of ward saves is that nothing can prevent a ward save from being taken, but I am new to warhammer. Where does it say that magical attacks prevent a ward save from being taken, I can't find it in the rule book.

Lord Zarkov
25-03-2009, 21:56
My understanding of ward saves is that nothing can prevent a ward save from being taken, but I am new to warhammer. Where does it say that magical attacks prevent a ward save from being taken, I can't find it in the rule book.

You're correct, unless otherwise noted (i.e. an exception in either the attack or the rule giving you the save) ward saves may always be taken. The only wards usually ignored by magic are Forest Spirit ones.

ScalySkin
26-03-2009, 00:32
You're correct, unless otherwise noted (i.e. an exception in either the attack or the rule giving you the save) ward saves may always be taken. The only wards usually ignored by magic are Forest Spirit ones.

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought I'd been playing the game wrong.

So to answer the original question, ward saves (not Daemonic wards as it is a magical attack) can be taken against the EoTGs, but the banner has no effect against it as the effects are not considered to be a spell.

nosferatu1001
26-03-2009, 06:34
In this case it was a ward save against specific attacks, such as the ward save you can get against shooting in the Heavens spell lore.

Ward saves may always be taken as long as you fulfill any conditions on their use

EotG is not a spell because it does not state it is a spell; additionally it is not rolled for from a lore and does not have a power level.