PDA

View Full Version : First time Daemons of Chaos player - 1000p

dariakus
25-03-2009, 20:18
I've never played with Daemons before, and thought I'd try my hand at putting together a 1000 point list. I'm not trying to go overboard as I'm mostly looking for friendly play (I know, with Daemons, right?).

Here's what I've got for my first pass:

Heroes
Herald of Khorne, Juggernaut, Soul Hunger - 175p

Herald of Tzeentch, Power Vortex - 145p

Core
Bloodletters of Khorne x10, champion, standard bearer, skull totem - 169p

Horrors of Tzeentch x10, 120p

Special
Flesh Hounds of Khorne x5 - 175p

Rare
Flamers of Tzeentch x6 - 210p

Total: 994p, 6PD, 4DD

I'm not sure if I'd run the HoK with the hounds or with the bloodletters. Probably with the hounds for the sheer number of rerollable attacks I'd get. Problem is, he'd actually slow them down.

The HoT goes with the Horrors.

Concerns I've got--getting shot down before making it across the table. Also concerned that the Horrors will die to missile fire before they can do anything useful. The HoT should help with that ward save, but it's still kind of scary to have them out in the open like that.

Any ideas/suggestions to tweak this list?

Thanks, everyone!

Grovel
26-03-2009, 00:20
This list is great if what you're looking to get from a game is a punch in the nose.

Give some consideration to your opponents rather than just maxing out on the best choices posible (aka your entire list except the bloodletters)

dariakus
26-03-2009, 01:16
I listed what I thought were valid concerns with the list, and all you do is complain. I asked for feedback, specifically suggestions and ideas. "A punch in the nose" isn't very constructive :)

Edit: As stated in the thread title, I'm new to daemons. I've never even played a game against them or seen them played. I don't know what is an uber-power list and what isn't. I just looked around a bit, read through the book, and put together what I thought looked balanced enough, but still very fragile to shooting, specifically.

Grovel
26-03-2009, 02:08
OK, well as I mentioned in my post, your entire list are 'optimal' choices except the bloodletters, which, except vampires and perhaps dark elves, other army books can't match.

If you want something constructive, try this:

Take flesh hounds or flamers, not both and preferably the former.
Drop the horrors for daemonettes.
Use points saved from whichever unit you dropped to bulk these units up with more models.

Does lose the theme by adding a slaanesh unit, but makes it much more... uh, friendly. Relatively, of course.

Solasun
26-03-2009, 02:27
At 1k points I wouldn't be scared of 10 horrors. Drop em for more Bloodletters or Daemonettes.

Flamers are solid, Flesh hounds are solid. Maybe drop Flamers to 4 or 5 rather than 6. If you insist on both. Or drop the hounds for 6 flamers.

Consider dropping a herald for more Core troops or a unit of Furies or Screamers.

dariakus
26-03-2009, 04:39
Here's an update.

Heroes
Herald of Khorne, Juggernaut, Soul Hunger, Armor of Khorne - 190p

Core
Bloodletters of Khorne x15, champion, standard bearer, skull totem - 229p

Daemonettes of Slaanesh x15, champion, standard bearer, banner of ecstasy - 229p

Special

Rare
Flamers of Tzeentch x5 - 175p

Total: 998p, 0PD, 2DD

Dropped a herald, a flamer, and the horrors. Added daemonettes and bolstered both core up to 15. Kept the flesh hounds and the flamers--I understand this may be considered a bit "beardy", but with no real ranged defense I felt I needed something.

If this is still too much, I can drop the flesh hounds for something else. Maybe a 10x core unit of something, or an alternate special unit. I could get in 6 screamers, 5 nurglings, or 7 seekers if any of those are worth it.

TheDean04
26-03-2009, 05:04
Sorry in advance that this wont be super helpful but you should run your blocks 6 wide to maximize your combat. That is all.

dariakus
26-03-2009, 11:37
Ok, after some thought, here's an updated list without flamers (they seem to bring bad mojo at 1k point games)

Here's an update.

Heroes
Herald of Khorne, Juggernaut - 150p
Herald of Tzeentch - 115p

Core
Bloodletters of Khorne x15, full command - 210p

Bloodletters of Khorne x15, full command - 210p

Horrors of Tzeentch x10 - 120p

Special

Total: 980p, 5PD, 4DD

The flamers are on hiatus until we get to 2k+. Any thoughts as to what I could spend that last 20 on? I'm thinking the Armor of Khorne for the herald, but not sure if there's something I'm missing that could make better use of it.

Grovel
27-03-2009, 04:26
Much more pleasant list to play against... In a 1k point game the lack of shooting won't really hurt you too much, anyway. For the extra 20 points, shuffle your bloodletter units around to get and spend the points on another 2 models (musicians can be dropped) and make them units of 17 & 15 respectively, with the herald in the larger one, and run it 6 wide.

mr.kislev
27-03-2009, 07:36
tip for being friendly in a game with khorne deamons:
do NOT max out on hounds

YTY
27-03-2009, 12:40
That last list cannot be called too cheesy, so go for it. There's already too much hate for demons.

I'd lose a musician and take the flames of tzeentch -power on the tzeentch herald. It's good for killing random fast cav or taking ranks off from units.

dariakus
27-03-2009, 13:29
Yeah, every list I post has something terribly over-powered with it according to someone out there. I'm starting to think that the only "friendly" list I could make and get rave reviews about would be one that would crumble in turn 1.

I'll look in to that Flames idea--I could use a bit more range. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Jind_Singh
27-03-2009, 16:33
Yo Dariakus!
I dusted off my Daemons and took a (what I thought) was a lame list and trounced the opponent. We both had lots of fun (He's good at Warhammer but it was a new army).
I've played games were I've maxed out the cheese and still got a kicking - playing against the Warriors of Chaos.
The point is you have to look at the group you game with, what armies they got. People have this massive hate on for the Daeomons. Granted they are tough as nails, underpriced for some of their units (Fleshounds, flamers, furies), but any half decent player out there will take them on AND give you a good fight.
Point in case, had an Empire player who bitched, moaned, and hated my forces (Soooo broken) is all he'd say. Well I got fed up of his lame exuses, his problem wasn't a bad army, just he's a bad player! He won't adapt his tactics to the situation - so I challenged him, gave him a sheet full of all the usefull tips/tactics/combos for Daemons - and I took his Empire - WITHOUT HELP - and kicked his whinge-filled ass.
It was tough, don't get me wrong, but look at your group before you get put off by all the anti-Daemon threaders out there. Maybe the Daemon player in their group is an unsporting ass whose ruined it for them.
At our place no one hates the 3 of us who play Daemons, nor are we the top 3 players (The 2 main vampire counts and Dark Elf give us hell!).
If you really want a super powefull list to chesse people off take:

Herald of Khorne, Jugger, Firestorm blade, Armour of Khorne
Herald of Tzeentch, power vortex

10 Horrors, standard bearer, Icon of Sorcery
11 Bloodletters, full command
5 Furies
5 Furies
5 Furies

3 Fiends of Slaanesh

And give them hell!

Otherwise just taking 2 core units, 1 support unit, and maybe 1-2 heralds is fine, doesn't matter how great you hit - with only three units people will out flank you, etc, so you'll be struggling.
For a 1000pts I've seen dirty lists out there - you could be facing (like another person runs) Empire - 10 knights with that Huss special character, 5 knights, volley cannon, 2 * 5 outriders, level 2 wizard - that hits hard!
And yesterday even though the new Skaven guy got killed in the end, in the 1st turn he landed 13 str 4 hits on my fleshounds causing 9 unsaved wounds - so bye-bye dogs! Had he two rattling guns I shudder to think what would have happened.
So long posting, but end pipint so long as you approach the game with the right attitude (which is to have fun, play an amazing game, and hopefully even win), have the right people to play with no one will really mind what you field - and they will appreciate it when you do try differnt lists out too.
Anyways, have fun with it!

selone
27-03-2009, 17:50
Yeah, every list I post has something terribly over-powered with it according to someone out there. I'm starting to think that the only "friendly" list I could make and get rave reviews about would be one that would crumble in turn 1.

I'll look in to that Flames idea--I could use a bit more range. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Don't worry about it too much, I mean no one could complain about your core. If you're taking BL's and daemonettes as your 2 core no one can complain too much about FH's and flamers.