PDA

View Full Version : explaining your obessi...err...hobby

mukelnas
25-03-2009, 23:00
this is a situation I find myself in all the time.

when I am out in the world I often meet people, and if I talk to them for more than a few minuets I am often asked, during the course of conversation, "what do you do", or "what do you do for fun", or somthing along those lines.

The vast majority of my time is taken up by "nerdy" passtimes. RPG's comic books, star wars, but mostly 40k. if I can't talk about this stuff I don't have much to talk about. My actual job is meaningless. I work in a stockroom. It is just a paycheck. When people ask what I do I would like to awnser with somthing 40k related, but I find it so dificult to explain to people what 40k is.

I do make money painting minitures on commision,That's what I was telling people for a wile, but even that was too much to explain if they started asking questions.

now I give a half truth, I say I am an artist, sculptor, or painter, but I try not to go into much detail about what I actualy do.

I was wondering how you explain 40k to people you know.

Reaver83
25-03-2009, 23:12
I've told people that I paint toy soldiers in my spare time. But for a long time if me and my flat mate were having girls around we'd hide everything. Now, well if they don't like it more fool them

Azhrarn
25-03-2009, 23:14
It depends on the people I'm trying to explain it too.

Generally I go for the miniature angle, since painting small models is easier to understand, I can elaborate to the battles if needed, but generally just mentioning I paint miniatures for fun satisfies most people. Just makes them curious generally. :D

the1stpip
25-03-2009, 23:15
Yeah, I just tell people I play with toy soldiers. Most are intrigued. If they start giving me abuse, then they weren't worth talking to anyway.

AbyssRaven
25-03-2009, 23:16
I tell people flat out i play MMO's or Paint Minatures (or will, when i get properly restarted into 40k)

Dont like it ? Screw them

brightblade
25-03-2009, 23:17
I just tell them it is my creative outlet. Something I am in control of (i decide how to paint/model) and that I don't like wasting my spare time.
Most of the time you see people begin to question what they like to do. The rest of the time people are just curious.

edit; Quite right, I am not afraid of being judged and am honest and open when asked. You don't like my hobby? pfft.... so what.

mukelnas
25-03-2009, 23:19
I guess what I am getting at is how do you actualy explain it to them, or do you even try. I feel like I should either carry around my rule book or not even bring it up.

don't get me wrong I'm not embarresed by 40k, just frustrated.

MrGiggles
25-03-2009, 23:58
I generally go with the 'I paint miniatures, play wargames, etc.' If it's important or interesting to my audience, they'll ask. If it's not, they won't. I find that the geekier hobbies are pretty open and accepted these days. I've honestly had more trouble trying to explain the concept of an RPG to people than I have miniature gaming. It seems that folks can relate to it better if there's at least some sort of game piece you can hold in your hand.

gamer2456
26-03-2009, 01:49
I tend to group it with gaming, something like "ya I'm really into gaming, you know video games, table-top wargames, all that"

Darkane
26-03-2009, 02:19
Me, I usually tell people I'm "into tabletop wargaming" and most folks don't need any further explanation than that. If they don't know what I'm talking about I just briefly explain to them that it's a game played with dice, minatures and measurements or if they're familiar with video games I'll tell them its like an RTS game with all the little guys actually there in front you.

Sttucker13
26-03-2009, 02:27
The sad thing is, all of the geeky hobbies I used to hide are the ones people think are actually pretty cool. I took my girlfriend of over a year to a GW store the other day and she loved it, even picked up a few ork units she wants to paint and assemble herself. I talk about RPG's at work, and people I never would have expected to have anything to do with them want to play in a Paranoia game.

I tell people about my "cool" hobbies like skydiving and they think I'm a lunatic and could surely find a better, more productive way to spend my time. Ironic, isn't it?

MrGiggles
26-03-2009, 03:11
Well, geeks do rule the world.

Over the past few decades, being a geek has gone from a stigma to being 'acceptable' to being a fairly normal and accessible thing. There are a variety of reasons for it, but one thing is for sure, the normalcy and accessibility have definitely opened more people up to the hobbies. The population at large is definitely realizing that a good many of these 'geek' hobbies practiced for years and years were done so because they're fun.

Used Car Salesman
26-03-2009, 04:12
On the large scale of things, Warhammer isn't even that nerdy, compared to some other things. Most people seem to be cool with the modelling/painting aspect of it, and you can always compare the game to the numerous 40k video games out there.
Onto the main question, how do I tell people I know about Warhammer?
I say I build and paint models, and if they ask any more, I'll tell them about the game.
Besides, people won't change what they think about you just because of your hobby.
Hope that helped.

Denise
26-03-2009, 04:17
I have yet to have someone say something negative about the hobby(to my face). It is kind of annoying to have to explain it all over and over to the vast majority of people who have never heard of it. Personally, I just don't bother mentioning 40k. I do plenty of other things for fun and I figure most people don't really care enough for me to waste my time explaining 40k to them.

Sttucker13
26-03-2009, 04:36
I have yet to have someone say something negative about the hobby(to my face). It is kind of annoying to have to explain it all over and over to the vast majority of people who have never heard of it. Personally, I just don't bother mentioning 40k. I do plenty of other things for fun and I figure most people don't really care enough for me to waste my time explaining 40k to them.

I work as an engineer in the oilfield and live/work out of my RV (fifthwheel) on location. I've had, on a couple of occasions, someone walk into my RV and find half-painted/assembled Necrons on my table. I'd expect most of these rather "down to earth"/"if it aint a gun, booze, or woman I aint interested" sort of people to give me grief about painting/collecting little metal men.. surprisingly most don't find my hobbies as geeky as I suppose them to be. ;)

Oberst Viktor Morte
26-03-2009, 04:44
Honestly? I tell people that I buy little plastic soldiers, put them together and paint them, and then go 'pew pew pew' with them.

I'm also more than eager to show people my miniatures if possible, as like brightblade, I use 40K as an artistic outlet in addition to everything else. I personally find my minis mediocre, but when I show them to people with no frame of reference, there's always an "ooooo" and "ahhhhh".

As said before, nerdier things just aren't as looked down upon as they once where, and I think that the popularity of video games and especially things like WoW, which brings people who'd normally never do that sort of thing into fantasy worlds that they find interesting.

And I'd like to give perhaps my favourite quote here, "I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not." Remember that.

holmcross
26-03-2009, 05:08
"I paint and model miniatures for a table top game I play, its kinda like chess."

Thats what I use when people wonder what I'm painting here at work.

Drogmir
26-03-2009, 05:48
Honestly? I tell people that I buy little plastic soldiers, put them together and paint them, and then go 'pew pew pew' with them.

I'm also more than eager to show people my miniatures if possible, as like brightblade, I use 40K as an artistic outlet in addition to everything else. I personally find my minis mediocre, but when I show them to people with no frame of reference, there's always an "ooooo" and "ahhhhh".

As said before, nerdier things just aren't as looked down upon as they once where, and I think that the popularity of video games and especially things like WoW, which brings people who'd normally never do that sort of thing into fantasy worlds that they find interesting.

And I'd like to give perhaps my favourite quote here, "I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not." Remember that.

Exactly, whenever I show my minis to people, I always feel that they're average. Table Top standard, and yet to them it's amazing.
:rolleyes:

Not sure it that makes me cooler or nerdier.

weissengel86
26-03-2009, 06:28
I tell people that I am a loyal servant of our God-Emperor and strive to purge Heretics and Xenos from Mankinds dominions;). If they ask questions I tell them the Holy Inquisition frowns heavily upon people who are too curious.:p

Ronin_eX
26-03-2009, 07:18
I tell 'em I play with toy soldiers. :D

And I tend to get oohs and ahhs if they are seen as well (a nice ego boost if nothing else). I stopped being insecure about my hobby back in high school when I realized that it didn't matter what other people thought. In uni it is actually quite common as well so it tends to elicit more "oh my <insert person you know> does that!"

But I will admit I'm rather proud of my nerd... umm -osity? Hell my fiance admits regularly that its one of the reasons she likes me. But it is hard not to be a nerd when you're doing a comp sci degree. :p

Lungboy
26-03-2009, 08:42
It's my secret shame :(

Brucopeloso
26-03-2009, 08:52
It's my secret shame :(

Hey why a secret? Why shame? :)

If asked I just say I play with toy soldier, most people are ok with it and at the tender age of 33 I can cope with being taken the **** of a bit.;)

Now, the S&M stuff I am a bit more reserved about but then again is a much better secret shame to have.:D

Lungboy
26-03-2009, 08:56
Hey why a secret? Why shame? :)

If asked I just say I play with toy soldier, most people are ok with it and at the tender age of 33 I can cope with being taken the **** of a bit.;)

Now, the S&M stuff I am a bit more reserved about but then again is a much better secret shame to have.:D

I find it less embarrassing to talk about the S&M than the Warhammer :D

Caprosmaster
26-03-2009, 08:56
i just tell people the truth if they ask... as others have said if they dont like you doiing that , their problem then..

Caprosmaster

NightrawenII
26-03-2009, 09:23
I tell people that I am a loyal servant of our God-Emperor and strive to purge Heretics and Xenos from Mankinds dominions;). If they ask questions I tell them the Holy Inquisition frowns heavily upon people who are too curious.:p

Seconded.
Look on their faces is priceless.:evilgrin:

mughi3
26-03-2009, 09:33
Humorous answers aside(we all do that from time to time i think)

My reply goes something like this-

I play miniature wargames. think of people who like team sports. sports such as football etc... are all simulated warfare. it's been that way for centuries like roman gladiators

Miniature gaming is also a form of simulated warfare but instead of yelling at the TV when "my team" does something i disagree with, it's my army and my team and i am actually in control of it.

MasterDecoy
26-03-2009, 10:09
The dawn of war series has really made it easier to explain it to people though.

Its like
"you ever play dawn of war?"
"Yeah, ace game, I really like number 2"
"Well, I play the board game that its inspired by, I play the tyranids"
"Yeah I dont like them as much as the orks or space marines"
Ect, ect.

the1stpip
26-03-2009, 11:42
I remember something Mike Walker said in WD.

There is no sense in teaching your cat, gran or Kylie Minogue how to play the game if they are not interested.

*footnote* Of course, if it turns out Kylie is interested, I can be available at very short notice.

the1stpip
26-03-2009, 11:44
Also, I remember telling some friends I roleplayed, and they asked, 'what, in the bedroom with costumes?'

Messiahnide
26-03-2009, 11:52
"I paint and model miniatures for a table top game I play, its kinda like chess."

My friend after explaining the basics of the game system said: so its like chess with guns and dice? mite give it a go. he now has 2000+ points of Eldar :)

Darnok
26-03-2009, 13:11

Thats what I use when people wonder what I'm painting here at work.

More or less the same here. If people are interested, I tell them more, if not, I don't care.

The interesting thing is: so far I have met not a single person not being curious about the modelling/painting aspects. They all seem impressed by it, no matter the actual quality of the models.

But usually I don't run around people telling about my hobbies. If they ask I tell them, but I don't run around recruiting new followers.

Fafner_Ni
26-03-2009, 16:08
I tell them i play my 360, watch anime, drink and 40k(books, mini's w/e) What's 40k? Oh, its another word for playing with toy soldiers. Honestly if they don't like i don't care, im lucky enough to have a g/f that likes most of the same things i do.

Besides, id rather be a geek that what the norm is in norn iron.

Giganthrax
26-03-2009, 16:13
Well, I do a lot of stuff apart from 40k so I always have what to talk about, but if the conversation gets to the miniatures I always say I am into modeling & painting the said models.

If I'm talking to someone whom I know is dumb and wont understand it, I make the entire thing sound as if I'm painting model planes, ships etc. It seems much easier for people to understand painting & assembling model planes then toy soldiers. :P

jstalker
26-03-2009, 16:16
For me 40k is just a hobby.
Im not ashamed to talk about it when i meet people but it is admittedly generally pretty low on my list of things I tell people,
I mean, I work, go to uni, play in a band, play rugby, DJ, go out, go kayaking, climbing, walking, etc
40k is just to me another way to pass the time, I see no reason to really be ashamed of it lol

Lhachmacar
26-03-2009, 16:27
There is no sense in teaching your cat, gran or Kylie Minogue how to play the game if they are not interested.

This made me laugh for an oddball reason: One of my cats, Samhain, hates skinks. My roommate and I have about two thirds of our dining room table covered with a modeling area, and she has yet to bother any of the high elves, eldar, dragons, great eagles, space marines, saurus warriors, or stegadons on the table... but leave a skink unattended and it'll turn up two months later in the laundry room. Whenever my buddy preps another wave of skinks for his lizard men he now knows to at the very least cover them with something sturdy and his best bet is to shut them away in another room if they're going to be unattended. It's weird but funny and we know it's just her because she's been caught in the act several times and the other cats could care less about Warhammer.

On topic, usually I just tell people I play and model tabletop wargames and elaborate as needed. Usually it's not an issue, which is a fantastic improvement over the era I grew up in, where the follow up question to mentioning RPGs and wargames was usually "Oh, so you're a Satan worshipper?" I thank the Lord of the Rings movies and WoW for opening peoples' attitudes up. I was working in a bookstore when the LoTR movies came out, and Orlando Bloom has done more to make interest in fantasy games or literature acceptable to the mainstream than anything else I can think of.

tuebor
26-03-2009, 16:35
I tell people I paint toy soldiers and then play games with them.

Funnily enough, in 9 years in the military the only flak I've ever taken over playing 40k is from guys who play historical wargames.

Triggerdog
26-03-2009, 16:37
I say: "...and I occasionally play a strategy game called Warhammer 40,000."

if they inquire further I explain that it is miniatures based rather than computers.

Back in the day when I used to play in a hobby center there were times where kids would come in with their parents. I was a young adult and I would often talk to the parents while the red shirts and black shirt tried to talk to the kid. One of the things I would always say when the price was inevitably brought up was "Well it stops me from doing crack". That right there sealed dozens of sales. Parents like that their kids are doing something mental and wasting their money on plastic soldiers rather than being dumb and snorting their money up their nose.

Thanatos_elNyx
26-03-2009, 17:06
"what do you do for fun"

Me: Gaming such as board games, computer games, etc.

They: *smile & nod* Speaking of the weather

mattnaik
26-03-2009, 18:06
Most people are usually familiar with Risk so i just tell them its like Risk on acid! While it really is nothing like risk other that its a wargame, that seems to satisfy their curiosity

Maine
26-03-2009, 18:11
People rarely ask about my hobbies, soon as they find out what I do for a living (video game software engineer), it's all about that... though when they find out that I also play wargames and RPGs, that's like icing to them - like I've somehow managed to make my entire life about games and entertainment.

TimLeeson
26-03-2009, 18:19
Same for many here, I just tell them I like painting, modeling and sculpting toy soldiers for fun. I'm proud of my geekiness and even though some people do look down on me for it well if they are going to be that judgemental or narrow-minded then its there problem not mine. On the other side, I make a point of trying to take interest in/understand hobbies and "fun" things other people do which I dont "get'' (like sports, pubs ect which I just dont understand the appeal of personally).

As for girls, well all my female friends are nerds of some type anyway ; onse a scrabble-nerd, ones a comic-nerd and my GF is a book-nerd/library obsessed redhead chick so I feel quite comfortable with my geekisms :)

Sttucker13
26-03-2009, 18:31
I realized a long time ago that it doesn't matter how "geeky" your hobbies are, so long as you're confident enough not to care. ;)
I'm a very hobby-oriented person and have some very uncommon ones at that. Honestly, even though they're not mainstream (I don't watch UFC, don't drink, don't collect DVDs or go to concerts, anything that could be considered a normal hobby for a guy of my age), I find that people find me all the more interesting. I don't know any other banjo-strumming, warhammer-playing, skydiving, computer programmers.

On a side note my roommate is a huge comic geek and roleplayer, but kind of looked down on miniatures gaming for some reason. That was until I pointed out Slaanesh. The idea of a pink and purple army based on seduction and decadence was just too cool of an idea for him (he's a bit of a flamboyant manwhore, and purple is his favorite color.) I laughed for days when he came home with over a thousand points of Chaos space marines.

Edonil
26-03-2009, 18:42
I usually just answer that I never stopped playing with toy soldiers- now I build them, paint them, and we added rules.

As for anyone who might give me weird looks over it...well, **** off to them. Not interested in drinking, and I don't like football, which seem to be the truly 'acceptable' pass times for a 21 year old American. I like mine better- no hangovers, and I really do not like football. Hockey is so much better.

mattnaik
26-03-2009, 18:44
I usually just answer that I never stopped playing with toy soldiers- now I build them, paint them, and we added rules.

As for anyone who might give me weird looks over it...well, **** off to them. Not interested in drinking, and I don't like football, which seem to be the truly 'acceptable' pass times for a 21 year old American. I like mine better- no hangovers, and I really do not like football. Hockey is so much better.

I usually drink and have a football/basketball game on while I play...what can i say, i like a lot of things ;)

Edonil
26-03-2009, 18:47
Rock on then. Just commenting that while I might be part of a fringe group, it's one I like better than the things most people think guys should be doing as part of their free time.

evilsponge
26-03-2009, 19:03
I usually don't talk to people about 40k if they're not into the hobby, I'm sure most people who don't play 40k wouldn't be interested in hearing about my plastic dolls (like when someone tries to talk to me about World of Warcraft).

evilsponge
26-03-2009, 19:06
I tell people I paint toy soldiers and then play games with them.

Funnily enough, in 9 years in the military the only flak I've ever taken over playing 40k is from guys who play historical wargames.

that's because military people have all kinds of weird hobbies to occupy all the "hurry up and wait" that goes on lol

Sttucker13
26-03-2009, 19:29
that's because military people have all kinds of weird hobbies to occupy all the "hurry up and wait" that goes on lol

Too true. I got into 40k while at the Air Force Academy, mostly because I was confined to base most weekends and needed something to fill all my down-time.

mughi3
26-03-2009, 19:43

Don't feel bad man i HATE sports or so called team sports, give me a mountain bike, dirt bike, midevil weapons, airsoft, turn on some rally car racing etc... and i am all ears.

Other than minitaure gaming, sports wise-no motive system, speed, off road goodness, weapons or naked women=no interest

bevulf
26-03-2009, 19:45
I am always happy to share my hobby with the others. I love 40k, its climax, vast galaxy, all the species and constant struggle for survival. Most of the people who know of my hobby appreciate it and look on it with awe.

I do work most of the day in a building company, have a family but it is hobby that gives me a fuel to live !!!!

If someone wants to listen to it I am more than happy that I can share it :)

mattnaik
26-03-2009, 19:49
naked women=no interest

see how easily this can be taken out of context :eek:

Laser guided fanatic
26-03-2009, 19:55
I just say i paint + all my other hobbiez.

Hamarpain
26-03-2009, 20:25
Now when i tell this story, it really doesn´t sound true, but it did happen. Whilst visiting my friends(who happens to be a girl), i happened to have Wd with me, ended up reading it in the kitchen. Next thing i know, her nudist lesbian roommate comes in topless and looked what i was reading. Found out that she used to play Eldar few years ago.

mattnaik
26-03-2009, 20:33
Now when i tell this story, it really doesn´t sound true, but it did happen. Whilst visiting my friends(who happens to be a girl), i happened to have Wd with me, ended up reading it in the kitchen. Next thing i know, her nudist lesbian roommate comes in topless and looked what i was reading. Found out that she used to play Eldar few years ago.

I'm pretty sure I would hang out over there a LOT if that is a true story ;)

Hamarpain
26-03-2009, 20:38
Actually, i´m renting my friend´s place while she´s stydying abroad for 6 months. Maybe i´ll try get her roommates back to the game. Imagine how easily W40k is explained when adverdised like that?

tuebor
26-03-2009, 20:41

Quite true. When it came time to "pop smoke" during the work day I'd hide in my barracks room and paint.

noobzilla
26-03-2009, 21:31
I don't tell women about it until they ask what my hobbies are... then I explain it's what I like to do for fun.

I sometimes get weird looks when I try to explain it, but most of the time when I simply say that I paint little toy soldiers, I get no weird looks... It's just like playing a card game or playing videogames IMO.

Azzy
26-03-2009, 22:10
Well, I tend to describe 40K and tabletop wargames to people as "like chess, but with more balls" or (to people that play video games) as "like an RTS in 3D without all the button-clicking". Tabletop RPGs, I tend to describe as "a way for grown-ups to play pretend without feeling too silly about it". To keep things simple, I also tell people I build and paint models rather than trying to explain that the models are part of the games I play (well, at least until they get a better handle on my hobbies).

djinn8
26-03-2009, 22:47
This may be alittle off topic but it made me laugh.

When H.G.Wells wrote the first table top wargaming rule book, it was titled: "Little Wars: a game for boys from twelve years of age to one hundred and fifty and for that more intelligent sort of girl who likes boys' games and books." :D Just tell who ever's asking about 40K that.

Speed Freek
27-03-2009, 00:01
I don't talk about gaming often. However, when I have I've been pleasantly surprised at the response. Many people are impressed by the amount of detail work needed to paint miniatures.

I also talk about the strategy involved in building a list, the tactics involved in playing the game and the sportsmanship required to ensure that your opponent enjoys the game as much as you do and wants to play again.

sycopat
27-03-2009, 00:29
I'm quite open about my hobby, I don't talk about it much as I have a lot of hobbies but if I'm asked I'll mention it.

I do tend to get a few weird looks, but nothing really different from what I'm used to getting when I tell people I studied science and work in a lab.

The follow up question I tend to get most is how did I get into it, but after that most people are only interested in a polite manner and I find it better to steer the conversation away from the subject.

weissengel86
27-03-2009, 03:11
Humorous answers aside(we all do that from time to time i think)
Humorous answer? Uhh yeah that too ;)

dblaz3r
27-03-2009, 03:13
I just tell people I war game and make models, if they ask for more details then I'll go into it a bit deeper. I usually ask if they know DOW, if they do then it's extremely easy to get the picture across.
I prefer to have nicely painted models littering my room as opposed to a mantle piece full of empty alcohol bottles as my trophies.

LordofWar1986
27-03-2009, 03:14
I tend to be rather open actually when people ask about WFB/40k. The last few times I ended up explaining in detail what it was to those who asked, they ended up getting into either one/both games systems. :D

Marlow
27-03-2009, 10:29
[QUOTE=mukelnas;3408855]I guess what I am getting at is how do you actualy explain it to them, or do you even try. I feel like I should either carry around my rule book or not even bring it up.

don't get me wrong I'm not embarresed by 40k, just frustrated.[/QUOTEWhen people ask what I mean by "competative Wargames" I usually refer them to things they will know like Monopoly or Chess and say it is like them but played with "painted toy soliders".

My friends at work call them my Critters. :evilgrin:

Vampiric16
27-03-2009, 18:35
I just say I do wargaming. If/when they ask what it involves I start by explaining the basics:
"Well basically it involves modelling and painting a bunch of models. You can collect a certain force or faction, or you can just pick up models which you like and paint them"*.
I then give an outline of the gaming side:
"Its kinda like Risk, except with unique units with certain stats and abilities. The game is played in turns, and you get 3 phases in a turn; move, shoot and assault."
By this point they either change the subject, satisfied, or ask to go into more detail, which as a 40k player you should be able to do easily enough.
*A friend of mine collects WFB monsters, just for showcase.

dcpattyizbeast
28-03-2009, 00:49
I generally just don't anyone (middle school sucks)

Imperius
28-03-2009, 02:49
I say: Well, you know I take little soldiers, paint and assemble them. Then have tabletop wars with my buddies. But you know, by the Holy Emperors name, you should not be so prying.. because the Inquisition is always looking for heretics planning to debase the threshold on which society stands!

Torga_DW
28-03-2009, 03:22
I got kudos at the office for manning up the place with a few white dwarf magazines for reading. Because nothing says manly like toy soldiers. Having said that, those womens magazines can be a riot sometimes. OMG the things they write about.

FashaTheDog
28-03-2009, 03:30
I tell them I'm addicted to caving and go to lots of Disco Biscuit, Lotus, EOTO, etc concerts as that is what I try for first (I only own a load of stuff because I've played for nearly two decades). If they ask about the minis on my desk then I explain. It's not something that generally comes up that often. Happened at work a few months ago where my boss asked about how he heard I played 40k as he has an Eldar army from back in the day. That's really the only time it ever came up in recent memory.

DaSpaceAsians
28-03-2009, 12:06
I look at my friends in the eye and explain to them what Warhammer is and then if they have questions I start answering them. Some of them are pretty fascinated.One of my friends told me that it reminded of DOW so I told "Dude, this is where DOW came from. The stuff in DOW is nothing like tabletop since it's more demanding since unless if you're necrons, when that guy dies he's gone and you get to use your imagination for finishing moves and painful deaths" and showed the armies section from the rulebook. He will soon play orks.Sometimes they'll ask me about my hobby and then I show them the rulebook and my Guard codex. Most people aren't surprised since I'm actually bit militaristic. Actually I think ever since I started telling people that I play Warhammer 40k, I've been less teased and mocked. Strange

Razarael
28-03-2009, 12:56
I'm living in Japan right now, and as I haven't gotten internet since I've been here, I've only been able to really keep up with Warseer at the local starbucks. I'm on pretty good terms with a bunch of the Starbucks girls, and they've seen me looking at strange pictures of toy soldiers. So, I explain my hobby with a lot of handmotions of me painting, and making 'pew pew' explodey noises.

Here's a perk- if they do think I'm a wierdo, I'd never know it! The joys of not speaking the native tongue.

Kakui, desu ne? ne? ...ne?

NightrawenII
28-03-2009, 13:20
Here's a perk- if they do think I'm a wierdo, I'd never know it! The joys of not speaking the native tongue.

Man, this makes me laugh, but better is nobody speak your native language.;)

Captain Micha
28-03-2009, 13:29
I tell them that I play wargames set in a borderlined Emo Universe. :D

Ravensgard
28-03-2009, 15:50
since wargaming is not known around here, I usually go for "I'm into collecting miniatures" If they need more information I usually say it's something like the model airplanes and tanks, but you can also play a game with it.
That's usually the farest I go cause even that usually brands me as a nerd or some "guy who plays with toy soldiers"

LonelyPath
28-03-2009, 17:03
I tell people that I play tabletop wargames, since i do. I don't just linger in the GW side of things and do participate in some historical stuff as well (usually not the Warhammer histical, but I do enjoy Legends of the High Seas). The TTWG (tabletop wargaming) angle tends in intrique people more form my experiences, and I get to explain to them and retain some level of interest even after I've rambled on for a while, heh. I also explain the whole modelmaking and sculpting sides to things.

If they want to know what I do for a trade, then my answer is simple and often as interesting when I tell them that I work in animation, illustration and design.

Son of Makuta
28-03-2009, 17:12
People rarely ask about my hobbies, soon as they find out what I do for a living (video game software engineer), it's all about that... though when they find out that I also play wargames and RPGs, that's like icing to them - like I've somehow managed to make my entire life about games and entertainment.

Kudos! I want to do something much the same, work on video game programming for some years and then switch to writing TTGs (which as it's turned out, I actually prefer. No automation errors, for one thing :D).

I've a few ways of introducing my hobby. I've used both "chess with guns and dice" and "toy soldiers with style" before. I also reserve about a quarter of the shelf space in my uni room for laying out miniatures that won't fit in X case or look too nice to be locked away the whole time, so numerous people have come in and noticed my many monstrous creatures (Tyranid player, guilty as charged) on display. I don't normally mention it because people don't typically seem to ask about hobbies; of course, if someone did, I'd say. People are generally pleasantly curious about it though, and I've not had anyone give me stick for it in university.

PaddyF
28-03-2009, 17:20
I just say I live out my Napoleon fantasies by sending waves of imaginary soldiers to die.

Lord Humongous
28-03-2009, 18:22
I'm living in Japan right now, and as I haven't gotten internet since I've been here, I've only been able to really keep up with Warseer at the local starbucks. I'm on pretty good terms with a bunch of the Starbucks girls, and they've seen me looking at strange pictures of toy soldiers. So, I explain my hobby with a lot of handmotions of me painting, and making 'pew pew' explodey noises.

In japan, painting toy warriors and making wierd noises are pretty normal male behaviors, I think. Of course, its usually more like gundams and karaoke...

freddythebig
28-03-2009, 20:45
When it comes up in conversation I find that some people are more receptive that others to the idea of me, a grown man in his late 40s, building, painting and playing games with armies of small plastic and metal figure.
For those individuals that do not 'get it' I usually say something along the lines of 'it's like Fantasy Football but the players have weapons'
I usually find that everybody is a geek about something and it can be suprising what people admit to in the way of hobbies once these conversations get going.

Hashshashin
29-03-2009, 01:39
For me 40K is on a need to know basis, and most of my friends don't need to know.

If it comes up I say it's like a video game but manual, they usually get that.
Also, though if I think someone might like it usually wait for an appropriate time and then let them in on my hobby. I live with my girl and I have closet full of stuff along with my painting desk, so it's hobby galore but then i can close the door and no one knows the difference.

It's not like I care what others think, I just don't feel I need to explain myself to everyone who comes over, like I used to when I lived with my gamer friends and half our living room was a game table and we would have models and books littering the whole house. Surprisingly that never impacted my ability to hook up with girls, and they knew what I was doing when I told them I was going to the game store or tourney or whatever...being 21 was alot of fun ;)