PDA

View Full Version : looking to start a new army with an emphasis on maneuverability

FictionalCharacter
26-03-2009, 13:57
hey all,

i'm looking for some advice, if you'll indulge me. i played 40k maybe 6 or 7 years ago, running IG and necrons before they had a codex and everyone realized how dull they are.

i'm likely going to start up again, and i'd like to run an army that's more lightly-armored and fast, as i'd feel rather refreshed with having extreme mobility function as my primary asset as opposed to super duper armor saves and/or fire superiority. that said, i'm out of touch with most of the armies at this point. dark eldar seem like the obvious choice to me, but it's something of an awkward time to start a dark eldar army with an overhaul on the horizon (although, does their current status generally make models cheaper?). other than that, i don't really know where to look.

if you guys could point me in any direction i'd be grateful.

razormasticator
26-03-2009, 14:10
Mech Eldar, Mech Tau. Mech Eldar is probably a good bet for you.

Something like this list:http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2008/11/armylist-eldar-riposte-host-2000pt.html

Hard hitting, highly manuverable... plus its geared for dealing with the nasty lists out there now.

Acolyte
26-03-2009, 14:58
Eldar and Tau are about the tops for moving around right now. Faster transports, a selection of Move-Shoot-Move units (Tau Battlesuits, Eldar Bikes IIRC, Tau Gun Drones, ect), more guns then armour, stuff like that.

Alternately, a mechanized Imperial Guard army works pretty well, although it's not nearly as fast and mechanizing Guardsmen, when they're mainly just ablative wounds for the HWs in the squad that need to be stationary to shoot, doesn't always go over fantastically. Sometimes it works, but not always.

razormasticator
26-03-2009, 15:05
Although this may change with the new guard Dex in May. You can have an almost entirely Airmobile force I would bet. Lots of Valks....

Meriwether
26-03-2009, 15:06
Orks with lots of trukks are very highly mobile, and quite competitive, too -- but in my book Mech and/or bike-heavy and/or warp-spider heavy Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Mech Tau win it hands down.

Meri

Cane
26-03-2009, 15:51
If you've got the budget for it, the new IG codex will allow for a lot of potential maneueverability. They're getting new fast attack troop transport skimmers that can be outtfitted for AT or anti-horde roles and just about any squad can have a Chimera which has been reduced in points cost.

If you upgrade your troops to Veterans you'd have a force thats pretty mobile and deadly, but will play more like a scalpel than a hammer if you get what I mean - they're still Guardsmen and troop transports are not much more tough.

FictionalCharacter
27-03-2009, 13:16
thanks for the input so far.

i haven't looked into tau too much because i'd like a decent amount of proficiency in close combat, if possible. i don't have much interest in orks, either.

also, cost is a very big factor. i've just gotten back into fantasy as well, and my budget is fairly limited. i'll likely be looking at not much more than a 500 or 750 point initial 40k force that will build up rather slowly, so i would need it to be relatively balanced and versatile right from the outset. it really seems like space marines would be the cheapest option with so much black reach and second-hand stuff floating around. honestly, though, i get the impression that there are plenty enough space marine players already (honestly, please correct me if i'm mistaken). i suppose converting them to chaos is an option, but i also always got the impression that chaos space marines simply weren't given the attention of their counterparts by gw (plus forming your own chapter in the codex isn't an option). are tyranids a viable cost-effective option? i know very little about them.

honestly i'm pretty much incredibly indecisive at this point. i like all of the technical aspects of the eldar, but it seems like that many wave serpents would add up to quite a bit of cash (the cost of a wave serpent nearly equals the cost of a raider and an eight-man de warrior squad, for example).

so i am just looking for any real suggestions, really. i'd say orks, necrons, and ig are the only armies i've really ruled out (a buddy of mine and my main opponent is going ig).

Korras
27-03-2009, 14:02
Tyranids are mostly plastic, and are quite mobile (fleet of claw). this can be even moreso, if you want to spend time converting some to have wings.

The Highwayman
27-03-2009, 15:18
How about you try an Eldar all jetbike army? I know it's legal and it would be very maneuverable. However I don't collect eldar so I'm not sure about the cost for an army.

I think an all jetbike army would be fun and different.

Deadmanwade
27-03-2009, 15:27
Marines in Rhinos with bikes, speeders and assault marines can be pretty mobile, shoot fairly well and aren't slouches in close combat either.

Most armies can do manouverability, but lots of transports drives up the cost of the army.

0ld1eye
27-03-2009, 15:36
Any army can be built to be maneuvrable. SM... well, ravenwing is the prime example. Orks... trukks are nasty. Unreliable, but nasty. Eldar have already been covered. DE can take a hell of a lot of fast raiders. Tyranids can take stuff with 12'' charge ranges and flying. Guard are tricky, but I suppose a roughriders army would be fast, and tanks aren't exactly slow. Tau, again, have lots of skimmers, and mech tau are one of THE most competitive armies in the game. CSM can take lots of rhinos. Necrons... well, destroyers and wraiths, I guess.

I'd say orks myself. Take a couple of battlewagons with deffrollas and let the fun begin.

the1stpip
27-03-2009, 15:52
I'd go with Dark Eldar.

Its easy enough to convert if you don't like the figures, they must be THE most amnoevrable army in the game, and hit hard.

And the models are dirt cheap on ebay.

Ddraiglais
27-03-2009, 16:33
Eldar, DE, and Tau are all maneuverable. SM can do some builds that make them fast.

I've been thinking of starting an IG desert raiding force with the new IG dex. Valkyries will give IG players lots of mobility. RR squads are pretty quick. Combine that with the Tallarn general's ability to give units flank, and you have a pretty fast force. Down the road you can add all sorts of armor, or you could slow the force down with some artillery and/or infantry.

The only drawback to the IG idea is that it will be expensive. If you're willing to build it up slowly, I think you'd have a pretty decent army.

FictionalCharacter
28-03-2009, 04:40
so, after browsing a thread or two on converting the black reach space marines to chaos space marines and remembering that chaos has my three favorite units in the game: bikers, noise marines, and obliterators; i think i may have somewhat settled on them. i don't even know how playable those units are in this edition, i just happen to be a fan. my only worry is that the more mobile element such as the bikes and oddball units like noise marines won't be cheap to get, so i could convert all the black reach space marines within a 20 mile radius but still not have any of the units i actually want without breaking bank. i do have a reasonable amount of vampire counts bitz that could go to conversion.

it really does seem like nothing's going to beat the dark eldar for fragile maneuverability, though... and i really would like to play one of the rarer armies and not just throw more marines on the table...

Torga_DW
28-03-2009, 04:51
Well the only real problem i see with dark eldar is that they're due for a major update and no-one has the slightest clue what they're going to end up as. So money spent on them now could be money totally wasted later.

Eldar seem to fit the bill. They're still only t3 and can get some really mobile units. Tau have too much 3+ in my mind, not that i don't like them (i have them) but they seem to fall on the border of heavy armour imo.

Have you looked at the gw site yet, and seen the different armies to see if any sort of 'jump out' at you?

Steel Legion for Life
28-03-2009, 05:11
The cheapest maneuver army I can think of is Ork Nobz warbikes.

Get two warlords on bikes, each followed by 7 nobz bikers, who count as troops because of the warlords. Then a mob of say 30 shoota boyz as a baseline, and a battlewagon.

That will be under 100, and a very competitive, fast 1000 point army. Quick to paint too.

Of course, if you don't want orks:)

Anything else will take transports, and those really start to rack up the army monetary costs. The other problem with DE is the models are pretty hideous, although i've seen nice conversions done by mixing in Wood Elf bits; still that's not cheap.

Ravenwing on bikes/landspeeders might be cheaper in money, but i'm not familiar with the army list and to be honest, it's reputed to be a bit rubbish.

fracas
28-03-2009, 06:07
all jump pack blood angels?

Khornate Fireball (Ork)
28-03-2009, 06:56
Now, being an Ork player I'm biased, but... I say you should start Speed Freekz. Orks can be one of the fastest armies out there, and one of the killiest, too.

CrownAxe
28-03-2009, 07:00
Daemons can be quick since they all deep strike, especially Slaanesh since they all have fleet and 2 of his/her units are cavalry

Creeping Dementia
28-03-2009, 07:30
Based on the criteria you've given so far I'd go for either of the Eldar factions. I'm a Tau player, but if you want to have a CC element in your army then Tau are not anywhere close to what you're looking for.

Dark Eldar are a bit more limited right now with a chunk of their units not quite up to par (but the rest work great), and their models are older and aren't up to the higher standard GW is generally at these days (I still think the skimmers look cool though). They are generally a more fragile army and based on my experience they either win big, or lose horribly. Their shooting seems to make Marine players cry, but they can have some trouble with hordes.

Eldar though have great looking models (I'm helping my brother start up an Eldar army right now), they can be the most mobile army out there even beating out my Tau when it comes to the movement phase, and their skimmers are crazy tough even though they aren't invincible anymore. They are highly specialized, so there really isn't one perfect build for them, there are different ways to get different jobs done. Eldar don't seem to be as popular as they used to be either, it seems the players that wanted the easier armies have moved on because Eldar require finesse now.

If I were you I'd go with Eldar, just because the model range is better. Dark Eldar have always interested me too, but I couldn't see starting them up without a newer codex.

the1stpip
28-03-2009, 13:25
I can't imagine the bulk (Warriors and Wyches) changing too much. Thy are on of the success stories of the army.

Grazzy
28-03-2009, 14:07
Ultimate speed- Eldar (24'' moves are great)
Speed + resilience - Marines (loads of rhinos, razorbacks, vindicators and predators)
Loads of tanks - Guard (55 point chimeras in the new dex supported by russes)
Middle - Tau (have speed, shootiness but no combat AT ALL).

Captain Micha
28-03-2009, 14:31
Mech Eldar is the way to go.

Mech Tau is fine and good. till the Real Mech army shows up. (Eldar)

If you want speed there's no one better. And unlike the Tau you aren't giving up CC -or- shooting to do it.

0ld1eye
28-03-2009, 16:18
Technically, orks COULD have the fastest vehicles. Move 19'' flat out, then get blown up and move another 18'' towards the enemy and disembark =D

bit unreliable though.