PDA

View Full Version : WotR - advice on Isengard please!

Odin
26-03-2009, 13:57
I'm mostly a fan of the story-based skirmished in the SBG, but I have to say WotR does look like it could be quite a lot of fun. In particular I am tempted by the prospect of massed ranks of Uruk Hai supported by scouts and warg riders, and maybe a Troll or two.

I've not really seen the book, but it seems a lot of people have, as there are plenty of army lists posted on here and on the Last Alliance. So I'm hoping for a bit of advice planning a WotR force (or two).

I'm torn between theming my armies, and simply taking what I like. I'm thinking something like this:

THEMED ARMY - OUTSIDE HELM'S DEEP

4 Companies of Uruk-Hai with Shields, inc. Captain & Standard

4 Companies of Uruk-Hai with Pikes, inc. Captain & Standard

3 Companies of Uruk-Hai Berzerkers

2 Companies of Uruk-Hai Scouts, inc. Captain

1 Company of Uruk-Hai Scout Archers

6 Companies of Warg Riders, inc. Captain

1 Isengard Troll

2 Siege Ballistas

NON-THEMED ARMY

Saruman

4 Companies of Uruk-Hai with Shields, inc. Captain & Standard

4 Companies of Uruk-Hai with Pikes, inc. Captain & Standard

3 Companies of Uruk-Hai Berzerkers

2 Companies of Uruk-Hai Scouts, inc. Lurtz

1 Company of Uruk-Hai Scout Archers

6 Companies of Warg Riders, inc. Sharku

1 Isengard Troll

I've no idea bout the points obviously, but do they make sense as armies?

Joewrightgm
26-03-2009, 14:00
For the themed army, it has to be lead by a Legendary character/formation or an Epic hero.

But yeah, both are looking good. The first one I would say either use the scout archers to pad your warriors giving you 3 companies, or get some more; shooting counts in large amounts in this game!

Odin
26-03-2009, 14:32
For the themed army, it has to be lead by a Legendary character/formation or an Epic hero.

But yeah, both are looking good. The first one I would say either use the scout archers to pad your warriors giving you 3 companies, or get some more; shooting counts in large amounts in this game!

So I guess the Legendary Character would be Saruman, and Epic Heroes would be Lurz, Sharku etc?

Weher is everyone getting the info about WotR from? Have loads of people already got the book or something?

Was thinking about another box of Scouts, giving me 4 companies of the normal ones, 2 companies with bows. Possibly 3 companies of crossbow armed Uruks as well.

Joewrightgm
26-03-2009, 15:59
The way we know so much is that we pour over the in-store copies :)

Just go to your local GW banner store.

Odin
26-03-2009, 16:23
The way we know so much is that we pour over the in-store copies :)

Just go to your local GW banner store.

Ah, if only I had the time. It's very easy to **** about on the internet and pretend I'm working. Rather harder to wander off to the Plaza during work hours.

Joewrightgm
26-03-2009, 16:30
Ah, I see. Well, you'll have your answers Saturday next week; that is when the book and most of the minis get released.

darkstar
27-03-2009, 01:25
Well, I can give you a bit of a hand. Firstly, a helm's deep themed force is a cool force. I think it'd benefit from having a stand of sappers, as they're pretty central to the siege.

You're a bit thin on the ground for leaders though. There's Ugluk's scouts, Vrasku's crossbows, Sharku's riders, another scout feller, a dunlending, Sauruman or Lurtz. I think the other scout feller is supposed to be the helm's deep captain.

Odin
28-03-2009, 01:24
Well, I can give you a bit of a hand. Firstly, a helm's deep themed force is a cool force. I think it'd benefit from having a stand of sappers, as they're pretty central to the siege.

You're a bit thin on the ground for leaders though. There's Ugluk's scouts, Vrasku's crossbows, Sharku's riders, another scout feller, a dunlending, Sauruman or Lurtz. I think the other scout feller is supposed to be the helm's deep captain.

Cheers. So lots of named heroes? It appears there is at least a couple of years' worth of new models to be made for WotR, what with all the heroes, command groups, new troop types etc.

takaetun
29-03-2009, 11:12
I'm a big fan of the new Uruk Hai command coming out - some nice looking baddies there.

So I guess the Legendary Character would be Saruman, and Epic Heroes would be Lurz, Sharku etc?
Not quite. Legendary formations are things such as the Fellowship of the Ring, the Nine Abroad (Nazgul), the White Council, etc - uber units of character death, basically. They're taken as a unit, and stay together the entire game.
There are also units such as Vashnu's Talons, which are like Dogs of War in WHFB, where a hero leads a group of elite troups which he cannot leave.

Epic heroes are just the hero - Saruman, Lurtz, Pippin, etc. They can move from unit to unit and grant their special abilities to the formation or company they are in.

Saruman has a particularly nasty ability called Overlord. This means that any formation within X" can spend his might to call actions, resist magic etc. It can come in real handy.

Any single company is probably going to be torn apart in turn one or so, unless it has a special rule on the tip of my tongue I can't quite remember - basically this rule means that you have to kill every single one of the buggers. Normally, when a formation is down to a half strength company, its removed, along with any accompanying heroes, etc. Berserkers have this rule, along with Resilience 2, so they're fairly horrific, but normal Uruk Hai do not.

I'd reccomend getting two trolls - where one can luck out and be killed by two bowshots from S1 archers (because they're at long range), two makes it much more useful. A single troll is a single troll. Two trolls are worth three trolls - one more your enemy has to avoid, and one more hurting him in the meantime.

Wormtongue is also a great choice. I believe his ability is similar to that of him in LotR (although I don't play that, so) in that he forces characters to use two might points.

Only vaguely related, Gollum is awesome. He's like Wormtongue in that he is placed in an enemy formation, but basically means that if a formation suffers a hit, at the end of that turn Gollum kills another model. I just think its a fun rule. :)

darkstar
29-03-2009, 11:31
The rule you were looking for is "Indomitable". And wormtongue's ability is to lower fight and courage of an enemy formation. It's quite nice, but not spectacular. Especially since you're liable to kill the formation he's in.

Crovax20
31-03-2009, 21:44
The rule you were looking for is "Indomitable". And wormtongue's ability is to lower fight and courage of an enemy formation. It's quite nice, but not spectacular. Especially since you're liable to kill the formation he's in.

afaik you can pull him out and put him in a different unit within ''x'' inch. So if you just pull him out of it in time and put him in a different enemy unit all should be fine.