PDA

View Full Version : first 2000 point list, advice welcome!

viuda
26-03-2009, 14:07
this is pretty much the first 2000 point list ive put together for vampire counts so i was hoping you could give me some advice on what to change. It's aimed at a general list to play at my local gaming club, not specifically aimed at beating any army (though i would like to give a dark elf army a good thrashing).
Apart from the models in the list i also have another 5 grave guard (sadly none with great weapons), 40 zombies, 20 skeles with spears (no command models), 2 necromancers, 10+ black knights (no barding no command models).

vampire lord 205
magic level 50
master of the black arts 50
forbidden lore 35
lord of the dead 15
skull staff 65
the flayed hauberk 25

Sit in the grave guard, raise the skele units up to 20. vamps are pretty reasonable in combat anyway so ive focussed on being able to cast the little spells on 1 dice each for max spells cast.

vampire 100
supernatural horror 25
hunter in the dark 25
wristbands of black gold 30
talisman of the lycni 10
biting blade 5

Terror bomb / warmachine and wizard hunter, scout him in enemy deployment zone (hopefully) 18" charge range so should attain combat first turn, he has the wristbands to survive ranged attacks but shouldnt need armour due to what he's going to be attacking. biting blade as i had the point for it and i might as well.

vampire 100
book of arkhan 35
cadaverous cuirass 15

sit in a unit of skeles just to back up the lord by raising zombies or (if im lucky) cast venhel's plus the book per turn

10 Crypt Ghouls 80
crypt ghast 8

there to make the complusary sore, i currently don't own any more ghoul models.

10 Skeleton Warriors 80
spears 10
command 20

should be raised up to 20 by the lord, vampire sits here.

10 Skeleton Warriors 80
spears 10
command 20

should be raised up to 20 by the lord.

corpse cart 75
balefire 25

there to aid marching, give the always strikes first bound spell and make it a bit harder for enemy wizards, combined with the +1 to dispel off the lord.

5 dire wolves 40

protection for the varghulf

5 dire wolves 40

protection for the blood knights

15 grave guard 180
command 30

lords bodyguard plus a central survivable combat unit.

5 blood knights 275

to cover one flank with a dire wolf screen.

varghulf 175

to cover the other flank with a dire wolf screen

Total points : 1988

PD : 11
DD : 6 (+1 to rolls)
BS : 2
Models : 65

W0lf
26-03-2009, 16:10
Ok.

vampire lord 205
magic level 50
forbidden lore 35
lord of the dead 15
skull staff 65
the flayed hauberk 25

Sit in the grave guard, raise the skele units up to 20. vamps are pretty reasonable in combat anyway so ive focussed on being able to cast the little spells on 1 dice each for max spells cast.

Skull staff is a little expensive for what it is and flayed isnt brilliant defence. I certainly wouldnt put your lord in 15 GG as he will be incredibly easy to kill (and lose you the game).

Secondly your second vampire is currently an expensive vargulf and wasted potential.

Id run a simple but effective;

vampire lord 205
magic level 50
forbidden lore 35
lord of the dead 15
book of Arkhan
Helm of commandment
Crown of the damned

- Sit him behind your grave guard in a bunker unit. As a general rule of thub if he survives you will likely win/draw because hes worth so many VPs and is such a good support model. Taking book frees up item for other vamps and not taking Haulberk likewise.

Vampire Battle standard
Lvl 2, lord of the dead
Flayed Haulberk, Sword of might
210 pts

Vampire
Master
Scroll, Periapt
190 pts

- Support caster, use periapt for 4 PD generation. 5 DD and a scroll is susally enough defence for a vamps army. Thats not to say you cant use him for +2 PD and +2 DD. Such is the versatility of periapt.

Now you have your characters sorted core;

10 Ghouls
Champ
88 - you have the models so may aswell use them. Put lord here and sit behind grave guard or skellies.

14 Skeleton warriors
FC, Warbanner

14 Skeleton warriors
FC, Endless legion

20 Grave guard
FC, Dead legion
etc tec...

I think you can fill out the rest tbh.

ZombieMans
26-03-2009, 18:52
What he said. Everyone I asks tells me to have a min of 20 GG in the unit for full ranks.

As for the skull staff, don't forget your casting can't get better than a 3+. It says on page 107 of the core rulebook that a roll of a 1 or 2 always fails. So if you have Lord of the Dead and the skull staff, you still only get the IoN off on the skele units on a 3+.

Me, personally, I roll so badly that I have to use 2 dice every time I IoN. So I'm starting to wonder if the staff is really worth it, especially considering most of our good spells are so cheap.