PDA

View Full Version : How do you deal with adversity?

Malorian
26-03-2009, 19:49
Everyone deals with adversity in different ways. Some people fight it, some people complain about it, some people just walk away.

I think this can best be compared to the deamon power issue.

There are those out there that come up against this problem and open up their books and try to find a way to beat it, there are those that avoid it and simply complain, there are those that give up and either refuse to play them or stop playing fantasy in general, and then there are those that turn adversity into opportunity and just start their own deamon army.

Personally I'm a fighter. When ever I hear something is too powerful I try and prove everyone wrong by beating it, and if I hear something is too weak I try and prove everyone wrong by winning with it.

The question is, what are you?

akgaroth
26-03-2009, 20:06
Fight it, to have the same feeling that David had defeating Goliath :D. However, I think that the complaints about DoC' overpowerness are justified yet exaggerated.

badgeraddict
26-03-2009, 20:10
I've not voted as the whole 'Daemons are too strong' thing has washed over me.

I've played Daemons twice and have won one of those games using a balanced Dark Elf list.

I'd like to fight Daemons more often for a bit more diversity.

Lijacote
26-03-2009, 20:17
Another daemon thread, another poll with loaded options.

Didn't vote.

Lord Malorne
26-03-2009, 20:18
Another daemon thread, another poll with loaded options.

Another cynic who does not take the time to read the OP then will claim he did.

I change lists after every game so I guess I would have to say i'm a fighter.

ZigZagMan
26-03-2009, 20:25
Option 5: Deal with it
Didn't change my lists, just read the deamon book cover to cover and adjusted my tactics to take into account their strong points and weaknesses.

Lijacote
26-03-2009, 20:26
Another cynic who does not take the time to read the OP then will claim he did.

I change lists after every game so I guess I would have to say i'm a fighter.

Can I be to blame for cynicism?

Upon review of the OP (thanks to a certain unnamed Lord Malorne), I change my stance to "fight", since that is the closest to my attitude.

There's no point to doing any of the other options, really. It's an entertaining game and challenges are there to be conquered.

Malorian
26-03-2009, 20:30
Option 5: Deal with it
Didn't change my lists, just read the deamon book cover to cover and adjusted my tactics to take into account their strong points and weaknesses.

I'd call that fighting it. You looked at the problem and decided to take it on.

GuyLeCheval
26-03-2009, 20:32
To be honest, I'm one of those guys who hear they are strong. After that look at battle report to check that they are strong. After that reads many tactical pages on warseer to check if they are strong. Then I try a fight against them with a balanced army. Then I Make a army that is specifically designed against it. If I can beat them (VC) then, I start laughing at the whiners; if I can't (deamons) then I'll just join the whiners in their holy crusade against that army;)

(If you can't beat them, join them, although I willl NEVER start a deamon army)

Storak
26-03-2009, 20:38
are you a wimp or a fighter?

i wouldn t rely all too much on these results.

Malorian
26-03-2009, 20:41
Don't worry Storak, we all know which of these categories you fall under...

Dokushin
26-03-2009, 20:51
Personally, I rejoice. I love a good challenge. I love being the 'weak' army, but since I play LM and they just Steg'd our book up, I don't get to be that, lol. So I love going up against the craziest lists I can find.

I love double dragons. I love gunlines, magic spam, VC zombie madness, TZ bolt/flying circus, flamers everywhere, flesh hounds, whatever. Balanced? No. But everyone knows its not balanced. All I can do is lose. I deal with adversity by enjoying the heck out of it.

squeekenator
26-03-2009, 20:57
I was just trying to get back into Fantasy when I found out exactly how bad Daemons were, so I walked away from the game in general. It's the straw that broke the camel's back.

selone
26-03-2009, 21:42

To be fair malorian, he does have a point. You've set up a poll for lord knows why which surely illicits a I'm a fighter vote in most people.
You really are saying "are you a fighter, whinger, quitter or a if you can't beat 'em join em person"
Now where is my mail order of plaguebearers?

Storak
26-03-2009, 21:43

please tell me. the majority of my battles are against daemons.

but i am proud to see (and just as i predicted) , that 85% of those who took the poll turned out to be fighters.

Mireadur
26-03-2009, 22:03
but i am proud to see (and just as i predicted) , that 85% of those who took the poll turned out to be fighters.

I would ''sig'' that one :p

Malorian
26-03-2009, 22:28
The point of this poll was to make people look at themselves, think about the options, obviously see that the 'fight it' is the best option, and then hopefully move more in that direction.

I am always very disappointed that the complaining and giving up threads always get more action than that tactics and army list threads. If this poll grabs someone from one of those threads and then sends them off in the mind set of 'gee, what can I do differently to beat this' then it has achieved its goal.

A good test everyone should do on themselves (and Storak this will answer your question) is to look at your post history to see if you spend more time in the complaining threads or in the tactics/army list threads.

PaddyF
26-03-2009, 23:13
I crush my enemies,
See them driven before me,
And hear the Lamentation of their Women.

Akuma
26-03-2009, 23:38
Buy Dark Elves or in Wfb just buy whatever army is the newest ?

Aurellis
26-03-2009, 23:39
I love finding ways to beat the lists I struggle against, I always run an all-comers list so I will make minor adjustments and if that fails, I will atleast try find a way to reduce the loss.

selone
27-03-2009, 00:09
The point of this poll was to make people look at themselves, think about the options, obviously see that the 'fight it' is the best option, and then hopefully move more in that direction.

Thanks for your honesty :)

I am always very disappointed that the complaining and giving up threads always get more action than that tactics and army list threads. If this poll grabs someone from one of those threads and then sends them off in the mind set of 'gee, what can I do differently to beat this' then it has achieved its goal.

Are you honestly trying to (and entertaining the idea that you will) stop people whining and get people playing by making a poll? Yes it's a shame that unconstructive thread's get loads of replies and when people ask for specific advice/make an army list they get very few (my first army list got no response at all ;) ) but seriously what do you expect?

A good test everyone should do on themselves (and Storak this will answer your question) is to look at your post history to see if you spend more time in the complaining threads or in the tactics/army list threads.

The problem with this (and feel free to check my posts ;) ) is that most people will play less armies than they face. I.E they might use one or two races and play against 11. Certainly more people play against demons than with demons.
Not only that but everyone can comment on a are demons overpowered topic easily whilst not everyone can answer indepth tactical advice. Nor, importantly feel the need to do.

I'd also offer a guess that some get put off by the changable quality of advice in the tactics forum, and whilst some love to offer advice on people's armylists, most don't. I love talking tactics but I have less inclination to comment on people's army lists as it feels weird to me.

Devil Tree
27-03-2009, 00:18
I think some of the “fighters” are being pretty unfair us “quitters.” I also think this poll is rather bias is the way it’s being framed.

To answer the question itself, I have to say it would depend on the particular army list. If it’s a balanced list then I wouldn’t hesitate to play it. If it’s some crazy OPed thing then I would politely decline.

Let’s not forget that not all of us play top tier armies or ones that are easily abused. Some of us also prefer fluffy lists, frown on “stooping to the same level” or have budgetary constraints.

Finnigan2004
27-03-2009, 02:24
I'm voting option 5: just play the game and try to have fun. Enjoy it-- win or lose.

Zachary
27-03-2009, 02:27
LOL! I guess im the only one who started because they were strong. I relativly new to fantasy and only heard about how good daemons were from my godfather and I love their fluff(come on they are gonna rule the world sometime! why try and delay them?

Borri
27-03-2009, 02:44
Petition it.

I don't know. I started a Daemon army to find out for myself how it works. I played a few games, saw how broken it was, and now it has been put away.

So now I am patiently waiting for errata.

Ultimo ninja
27-03-2009, 06:30
Want to become a better player? Play against demons as much as possible. I compare it to a 155lb fighter training with a 200lb fighter. You get the snot punched out of you, but it pushes you that much harder to become better. It hurts, but it pays off.

As soon as im done painting my first 1000 WOC points im going to challenge a demons player for my first match, and im going to challenge them again and again until I beat the living hell out of them!

StormCrow
27-03-2009, 07:11
Well pre-daemon release i was excited to start an all tzeentch army, but after a few playtests our whole gaming group has chosen to believe that army doesn't exist. I personally think it requires little thought to write up a decent list, and little tactical advantage to win with it.

I would go with the 'fight it' option except that with the armies i play it would mean trying to conjure up an equally lame list that i wouldn't enjoy playing with. I don't think i should have to shoehorn certain units into my all comers list just so i stand a chance against one army.

Griffin
27-03-2009, 07:37
WE FIGHT!

*lore of light, Blade of Realities etc - Let the Daemons know fear!

W0lf
27-03-2009, 12:36
Tbh id argue im one of the best players in my gaming group for fantasy. So broken armies arnt generally that hard to beat.

My poll choice would be;

- I like to play the army several tiems with my all-comers. If i consistantly lose out of character (say against someone i usually beat and i lose 5-0) then i will tailor my all-comers to try to accomadate. So im a fighter.

However i do like a good moan so put me down as a fighter who enjoys a good ol moan whilst doing so ;)

Mireadur
27-03-2009, 12:58
Too bad i like to struggle agaisnt a smart opponent, not agaisnt broken lists which make the game really unsatisfying, but thats just me and because i like ancient battles simulation, not magic the gathering.

Its not a question of being a cool guy or a pussy. Its more like playing basketball when what you really like is chess.

kramplarv
27-03-2009, 12:59
DoC aint a problem. They behave like a normal army, ie, they run to you, manouvre and start to do the good ol hack 'n slash in, most of the time, quite equal terms in the meaning that you can out manouvre a DoC army.

The army that are most boring to play against are WE. Just skirmishers and shooters all over the army lists. WE = 40k. I never play against WE no matter what, unless in a tournament. Otherwise I don't really care...

I take the game as it comes, if i play against a very boring army list, i point that out to the guy and refuse to play it again until he makes some changes, or I am changing my army or army list Since I do not want to waste several hours in a boring game.

Max_Killfactor
27-03-2009, 13:03
My group plays with lists to take on all-comers also.

I just take it on the chin when I come across a list that is not a favorable match up or a waac mixed demon list. Of course, I primarily play with Dark Elves and they can hang with demons. I'm a fan of Blackguard and they match up well against most demons. I don't mind playing armies that are a bad match up for me and I learn from my mistakes.

Whenever I play with my Skaven I just try to go into battles thinking I'm going to lose, all my stuff will blow up, and I will lose any combat that I should win. Then I'm pleased if anything goes right.

Kerill
27-03-2009, 13:04
For this specific one, none of the above (I just stopped playing my daemon army). Generally though, I'm a fighter.

Shamfrit
27-03-2009, 13:31
I voted for 'Join Them,' *Pats his Bloodthirster gently, cooing it back to sleep,* and at the same time I'm a fighter, caus' I adapted to Daemons as best I could and dealt with it.

I just wanted a Mono-Khorne army (even though it's green :wtf:)

danaid
30-03-2009, 09:09
I choose to fight it!!!!

Deetwo
30-03-2009, 10:01
I voted fight it, when it comes to my other armies..
The fact is that I play predominantly TZ heavy daemons, but starting them had nothing to do with them being strong.. I've always played daemon heavy chaos lists in both systems and this current one is a product of me liking the 40k book a lot and just using the same models for FB as well.

So my real vote would be:
5. I play daemons because I've always liked the models and background. Although it was pretty obvious at first glance how powerful some things are, I don't really go for the completely WAAC lists, even though I do enjoy a competitive army.

Biased polls are just full of meh.

Lordsaradain
30-03-2009, 16:09
If you can't beat them, join them.

Fenrir
30-03-2009, 16:35
None of the above.

I keep playing with the same armies, in the same way. Even when it's one of my armies thats the current source of much teen angst. It's the same army I've used for years, only with a shuffle to fit the altered points.