PDA

View Full Version : Edumacate me about Ork army lists.

Sttucker13
26-03-2009, 23:10
I've got the Orks that came in the AoBR assembled and painted, and I've got their Space Marine counterparts assembled and awaiting another 3000 points worth of bolstering that should arrive this week -- along with another few Necron units that should push me over 4000 points there as well. And as I'm currently -- 1) off on medical leave, 2) financially capable, 3) crazy -- I'm considering buy some reinforcements to my Ork army as well.

So basically if you were going to begin building an Ork army, using the AoBR as your starting point - what would be your initial purchases, and your final army list (~3000-4000 points)

The Ork army will be ordered before I finish the Space Marines, most likely in a couple of weeks, as I'd like to have everything I need to continue both armies when I head back to work in a month -- as it may be several months that I'll be away from the internets/hobby stores and I'll have ridiculous amounts of down-time that I'll need to fill.

Mega Nutz
26-03-2009, 23:23
Depends on what sort of Ork army you want to field...but as you've already got a few boys I'd add a load more, a few trucks and go for a green tide affair!!

misterboff
26-03-2009, 23:37
My current Ork army (2000 points) is made up from:

4 Battleforces (76/88 Boyz, 12 Warbikes, 4 Truks)
4 Loota/Burna Boxes (20 Lootas/Burnas/Mekboyz)
AoBR (Warboss, 5 Nobz, 20 Boyz, 3 Koptas)

When I get that finished, I'm going to add some new stuff:

5 Nobz
20 Grotz
20 Stormboyz
2 Battlewagons
2 Looted Wagons
Stompa

That should push it to about 4000 points, but if they release any more new stuff in the meantime I'll add that in too.

I'd recommend Da Green Tide, Battleforces and more AoBR. They're the most cost effective and give you the most useful units (Boyz!),

misterboff

Gensuke626
26-03-2009, 23:48
I've got the Orks that came in the AoBR assembled and painted, and I've got their Space Marine counterparts assembled and awaiting another 3000 points worth of bolstering that should arrive this week -- along with another few Necron units that should push me over 4000 points there as well. And as I'm currently -- 1) off on medical leave, 2) financially capable, 3) crazy -- I'm considering buy some reinforcements to my Ork army as well.

So basically if you were going to begin building an Ork army, using the AoBR as your starting point - what would be your initial purchases, and your final army list (~3000-4000 points)

The Ork army will be ordered before I finish the Space Marines, most likely in a couple of weeks, as I'd like to have everything I need to continue both armies when I head back to work in a month -- as it may be several months that I'll be away from the internets/hobby stores and I'll have ridiculous amounts of down-time that I'll need to fill.

It really does depend...I'd say...first 1500 should be 180 Ork Boyz, a Big Mek with KFF and a Warboss, and some Rokkit Deff Koptaz...add on 6 Killa Kanz and a Deff Dread, or just 9 Killa Kanz...

Then to fill points from 2000 to 4000 buy 3 Stompaz.

Serg. Lynchbox
27-03-2009, 00:45
You got a friend that plays space marines? Have you two buy 2 AoBR and and you got twice as much for the same price.

I have about 220 Ork boyz but most of them I got was at a special event sale GW has when you can sell any GW stuff to other ppl and get store credit. The manager sold me the bulk of the 220 (about 160) Ork boyz, about 12 burna boyz, 3 new tank bustas, 8 old tank bustas, and about 10 old burna boyz for about $120 bucks... I know it was a great deal. Nothing was painted. I would suggest that if you want large amount of boyz then go for the green tide. I would of done that if I never came across that good deal.

What kind of Ork army are you making? A bunch of boyz? Speed freak army? Mek army? Or just a mixed force of specialties and boyz?

victorpofa
27-03-2009, 01:47

Here are my dual 1500 point lists for Orks. There is quite a bit of overlap to minimize spending. It is about 2300 points total, and it does not include extra things I have built, but not integrated into my list like Burnas, Lootas, and a Snikrot Kommando mob. :evilgrin: It also does not include my looted vehicles from the 3rd Edition list I started this army under. :cries:

Kult of Speed 1500 Points

HQ
180 Warboss Grimgul Skarbag Master Uv Da Dakkawing - Wazdakka Gutsmek.

Troops
160 Warbiker Mob - 5 Warbikes with Nob and Power Klaw.

235 ‘Ard Boyz (In Bonecruncha) - 20 ‘Ard Boyz with Nob and Power Klaw.

152 Slugga Boyz - 12 Slugga Boyz with Nob and Power Klaw in Trukk with Grot Riggers and Red Paint Job.

130 Shoota Boyz (In Gorespeeda) - 20 Shoota Boyz with 2 Big Shootas.

Fast Attack
40 Warbuggy Squadron with Red Paint Job and Grot Riggers.

Heavy Support
165 Bonecruncha Battlewagon with 4 Rokkit Launchas, Deff Rolla, Grabbin’ Klaw, Red Paint Job, and Grot Riggers.

115 Gorespeeda Battlewagon with Kannon, Rokkit Launcha and Grot Riggers.

Total: 1497

Footsloggers 1500 Points

HQ
100 Warboss Grimgul Skarbag (In Bonecruncha) - Warboss with Big Choppa, Shoota/Skorcha Kombi-weapon, Attack Squig, Cybork Body, and ‘Eavy Armor.

110 Grimjaw Mekwagon - Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun, Cybork Body and ‘Eavy Armor.

Troops
225 ‘Ard Boyz (In Bonecruncha) - 19 ‘Ard Boyz with Nob and Power Klaw.

130 Shoota Boyz - 20 Shoota Boyz with 2 Big Shootas.

130 Shoota Boyz - 20 Shoota Boyz with 2 Big Shootas.

152 Slugga Boyz - 12 Slugga Boyz with Nob and Power Klaw in Trukk with Grot Riggers and Red Paint Job.

Fast Attack
203 Stormboy Mob - 14 Stormboyz with Nob and Power Klaw.

Heavy Support
130 Killa Kans - 2 Killa Kans with Grot Riggers and Red Paint Job. One has a Kustom Mega-blasta and one has a Grotzooka.

165 Bonecruncha Battlewagon with 4 Rokkit Launchas, Deff Rolla, Grabbin’ Klaw, Red Paint Job, and Grot Riggers.

Total: 1497

Gensuke626
27-03-2009, 01:59
hey victor...how well does that Bonecuncha Wagon work for you? I've tried multi-Gun wagons and I've always found them to be a bit of a waste...

Sttucker13
27-03-2009, 03:45
Im not really a huge Kult of Speed fan. More of an "OH MAI GAWD HOW MANY OF THEM ARE THERE" along with some kill-cans, etc. I would like a few trucks, battlewagon. I'm buying the Ork codex this weekend so I can get a better idea of what I'll need.

The Highwayman
27-03-2009, 10:25
Im not really a huge Kult of Speed fan. More of an "OH MAI GAWD HOW MANY OF THEM ARE THERE" along with some kill-cans, etc. I would like a few trucks, battlewagon. I'm buying the Ork codex this weekend so I can get a better idea of what I'll need.

If you like the feel of a horde army, I would believe it would be best for you to invest in alot more boys, with a blanace of sluggas and shooters. However, it may not be wise to buy a large amount at once otherwise you may be overcome with the amount of painting green you will be doing.

Gensuke626
27-03-2009, 10:41
@Sttucker13 - I'd like you to revist my idea of 180 boyz plus 9 Killa Kanz and 3 Stompaz.

0ld1eye
27-03-2009, 15:51
hey victor...how well does that Bonecuncha Wagon work for you? I've tried multi-Gun wagons and I've always found them to be a bit of a waste...

Well, it's always worth sticking a few big shootas or something on for those 'weapon destroyed' results. I put 3 big shootas on each of mine, generally once they've carted off the orks to the enemy they either go and roll things or provide mobile av14 cover for my ladz if they're on an objective. That's when it's worth having a few gunz.

Sttucker13
27-03-2009, 19:12
@Sttucker13 - I'd like you to revist my idea of 180 boyz plus 9 Killa Kanz and 3 Stompaz.

I'm going to be doing Deff Skulls so I've GOT to have at least a Looted wagon or two. But deeeefinately several kill kanz. I don't play Apocalypse so I don't really need the Stompaz.

ImRightBehindYou
29-04-2009, 03:48
I don't know really but I've heard from a few sources that like a 7 man Meganob squad in a battle wagon is good. Their also a scoring unit because of the Warboss.

Gensuke626
29-04-2009, 04:25
I'm going to be doing Deff Skulls so I've GOT to have at least a Looted wagon or two. But deeeefinately several kill kanz. I don't play Apocalypse so I don't really need the Stompaz.

Fair enough on the Stompaz, but I personally see no reason to build a specific list past 2K except to go into Apoc. I'm not saying that people don't do it, but I mean, I've got a 1500 list that I always run, and I have another like 750-1500 points worth of stuff on the side board. Not including my Apoc specific stuff.

Still...if you're going to be Deff Skullz (A Lad After me own tastes yoo iz) you may want to consider Lootaz, or simply Themeing your army to be "lootaz". I use Nid Warriors and Fexes as "looted" Kanz and Dreads.

I don't know really but I've heard from a few sources that like a 7 man Meganob squad in a battle wagon is good. Their also a scoring unit because of the Warboss.

IMHO, 5 in a trukk with a Waboss in Mega Armor is better.

Brucopeloso
29-04-2009, 09:04

I used a similar mob (5 MANZ + warboss) in a battlewagon in a tag team with a mob of 19 orks + mek with KFF in another battlewagon and they munched through a marine gunline without breaking a sweat! The big drawback of the MANZ is the lack of speed and the battlewagon negates it nicely. Once the mobz disembark the battlewagon are free to go on a tank shock and ram rampage. :evilgrin:

Lordmonkey
29-04-2009, 10:09
Deffskulls eh?

One big mob of lootas. Convert all of your transprots and tanks out of vehicles from other races. Looted Wagons fit the bill nicely.

So, er... lots of tanks, lots of heavy weapons and blue warpaint!

popisdead
29-04-2009, 22:50
starting out I would recommend 30 shoota boyz, nob w/ PK and 3 Big shootas and 30 slugga boyz, nob w/ PK and 3 big shootas, and a warboss.

adding a Battle Wagon with the ord cannon is good as is 3 killa kanz w/ big shootas.

then some elite and fast attack.