PDA

View Full Version : the current lizardmen cold ones, do you like them?

desert_rat21
27-03-2009, 04:31
so what are your opinions of our current lizardmen cold one models? personally, anything is better then the old cowasauruses but what we have now is nowhere near as cool as the dark elf cold ones (granted they are a different species). that said, while i first began to hate them with the release of the dark elf cold ones, they have begun to grow on me, though i will still call them goofy gators due to those dull looks on their faces (especially the one sticking its tongue out).

TheDean04
27-03-2009, 04:34
I think they are terrible. I miss the cows. Now compared to the DE cold one the lizard ones are just a joke.

Sarah S
27-03-2009, 04:35
They're an awful set of models.

Mercules
27-03-2009, 04:44
What? Nobody likes Yoshi anymore?

Rydmend
27-03-2009, 04:51
My biggest problem is the meat-club 3 clawed hands.....so terrible.

Master Stark
27-03-2009, 04:52
They are absolutely terrible.

Grovel
27-03-2009, 05:07
Hate the lizardmen cold ones... The Dark Elf ones or Reaper Reptus are much better alternatives.

Braad
27-03-2009, 06:53
I don't get the problem. The model itself looks fine if you ask me, and why does every ridable animal in the warhammer world have to look like a vicious killer that eats sharks for breakfast?

If we look back to our own planet's history, the types of lizards that have roamed our world is also huge in variety. Nothing wrong with that.

slingersam
27-03-2009, 07:04
I love the Lizardmen cold one riders, they honestly
humble, and proud. The D.E. Cold One just look
like they got no mind of their own. They only messed
up on the claws. Otherwise I love the models

Nationalmaverick
27-03-2009, 07:12
Top contender for the worst model in the current range.

dwarfhold13
27-03-2009, 07:17
they don't have a mind of their own.. remember.. they're stupid!
i think they are kinda goofy looking myself.. when i saw the new models.. i went and bought up all the old models i could find at our store a couple years ago.. i like the new dark elf cold ones too.. they fit into the scale a bit better IMO.. even though they are supposed to be ******* huge!
Jon

slingersam
27-03-2009, 07:31
Their is a difference between mindless and stupid.
Being stupid is failure to understand something,
Mindless is being unable to understand somthing

Griffin
27-03-2009, 07:36
At first - I fell in love with the new DE ones.

But after a while I grew to like the More Muscular Brutul Looking ones that my lizzies use. I like them - it would be silly for this massive Saurus to ride this dainty Elf cold one.

Master Stark
27-03-2009, 07:37
I don't get the problem. The model itself looks fine if you ask me, and why does every ridable animal in the warhammer world have to look like a vicious killer that eats sharks for breakfast?

If we look back to our own planet's history, the types of lizards that have roamed our world is also huge in variety. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, but the LM Cold Ones just look goofy. Like a cartoon caricature of what they should be.

Griffin
27-03-2009, 07:39
ok - the little 3 toe/claw "hand" things look a bit odd from some angles. But other than that they not to bad.

Lordsaradain
27-03-2009, 07:48
I like them better than the cows. They're pretty good IMO, but not awesome like the Dark Elf Cold Ones.

Nicha11
27-03-2009, 07:51
They look like the disabled offspring of actual cold ones....

Tarliyn
27-03-2009, 07:53
I like them, the claw can use some work but thats what clippers and green stuff is for right : P

I am going to convert some up using the new dark elf cold ones but that is just because I like variety on the battle field.

Tyranno1
27-03-2009, 08:43

Because cold ones are one of the few creatures that WOULD eat a shark for breakfast. They are supposed to be based on Velociraptor and co, they were meant to look mean.

Right now they look goofy. The heads alook oversized, thier tails look miniscule, their hands look just plain out of place, thier feet are also oversized (also the crest on the back of thier head makes them look like large saurus).

And there are several parts on it that are just badley sculpted, the claws on the feet are all one mass, thier scales are flat and rather odd and thier heads dont seem to have teeth just a jaw with teeth shapes that connect with the bottom row.

And when you look at the Dark elf ones you can easily see where they should have gone when designing these guys.

And for those who claim they look different because they are a different species, they look nothing like each other, they look like thier from completly different familes the only thing similer about them is the gait and diet.

I just grab the Dark elf cold ones and sculpt protofeathers on and glue spare feathers onto them. Makes them look very different and still makes them look nice in the process.

slingersam
27-03-2009, 09:01
Hey the lizardmen coldone saurus holds it's head up
high. They know they are more noble race, where
the best of the best ride them.

HiredSword.
27-03-2009, 09:11
They're awful. Really, really bad. There aren't that many models that I dislike that much. I'm intrigued that some people do like them and it's interesting to hear why.

The new DE cold ones are amazing and for the first time in a long time I hear people saying that cold ones now look like they've always imagined. It's weird to think though as GW have has so much good cold one art to base their models on I wonder why it's taken them so long to figure out what a large predatorial lizard should look like.

lybban
27-03-2009, 09:24

But they look like something out of the flintstones. How can you possibly like it? I think lizardmen as a whole range are silly and have ugly models. It was a big mistake from GW to ever release them. I have checked and this is a fact. It was a huuuuge mistake and noone can ever say that it wasn´t. Everyone knows that!

Tyranno1
27-03-2009, 09:29
Hey the lizardmen coldone saurus holds it's head up
high. They know they are more noble race, where
the best of the best ride them.

The only reason it holds its head high is because its neck was sculpted so oddly that you have to attach the head like that.

And also "race"? The cold ones arnt a race, they are a species. Also you cant defend the bad sculpting on the model, and bad design.

Necromancy Black
27-03-2009, 09:33
I love my cold ones. I really do not want to ever see the DE cold ones in the lizardmen range.

I'll don't like the DE that much and I hate the older cold ones. Keep the Cold Ones or if they get remade don't go the DE way, keep them bulkier and scalier. Also keep the giant hand claw, makes them distinct from the DE ones.

Urgat
27-03-2009, 10:01
Dunno, really.
The new DE CO sculpts are superb, but they strike me as lacking in originality. They're raptors, really, there's not two ways about that.
The LM CO, it's kindda ridiculous, badly sculpted, badly designed (the forearms bug me, like many people). And I see them looking more like fruit eaters than vicisous killers. I mean they look sleepy.
The previous edition, the one that people like to call cow, looks like godzilla's offsprings, in the end of the US movie. The inspiration is kindda as blatent as the newnew ones being raptors.
And the previous ones were like kids trying to design a raptor from memory, so it's just a big bipedal lizard (I own quite a few of these, in fact, I bought those skink mercenaries back then).

In my opinion, I think the cows fitted best for the LM, they were bulky, and looked like they weren't the brightest out of the bag, w/o looking like Denver the dinosaur like the current ones do...

Nicha11
27-03-2009, 10:10
I think lizardmen as a whole range are silly and have ugly models. It was a big mistake from GW to ever release them. I have checked and this is a fact. It was a huuuuge mistake and noone can ever say that it wasn´t. Everyone knows that!

So to clarify your points.

*All Lizardmen models are ugly

*GW screwed up and the army should never have been released.

*You've checked and it's a fact:wtf:

I'm sure your being sarcastic:p

The boyz
27-03-2009, 10:38
I'm not to keen on them. I think, it's got something to do with the way their front claw's look. I generally prefer the look of DE Cold One's.

Tokamak
27-03-2009, 11:16
The lizardmen cold ones are really ugly. However, I'm not too sure which I like more, the old or the new DE cold ones. Sure the new ones have much more detail, but the old ones really had some character as well.

Lord Khabal
27-03-2009, 11:34
The old DE cold ones are cows!!! these look like dinos. In my book dinos >>>>> cows

Urgat
27-03-2009, 11:54
You've never seen cows, have you? :p

HiredSword.
27-03-2009, 12:00
You've never seen cows, have you? :p

that tickled me.

so people's views are a lot more varied than I thought they would be on this subject, could I suggest a poll be made on this thread (can you do that with an existing thread?).

StarFyre
27-03-2009, 12:12
They look as if they have a mental illness, with stupidly designed hands. Some cavalry...Rules not that great but passable...but models are just so bad.

I have 5 DE cold ones that i want to convert with saurus (began a test on one of them) but may just wait for 8E and see what we get then (no time to do the conversion right now so prob won't bother with it...don't like the rules for them anyways so don't use them ever)...

Sanjay

Roxors45
27-03-2009, 13:04
Now I could be wrong here, but has anyone mentioned they have STUPIDITY! Regardless if you like the models or not they look the part.

It could be argued that velociraptors were intelligent (not highly, but stick with me here) in their hunting and how they cooridinated their attacks with each other. Kinda like wolves. These models truly bring out the "stupidity" and thusly I like the models

Lord Malorne
27-03-2009, 13:11
I bloody love them.

Shamfrit
27-03-2009, 13:15
Aye, so do I, they look much more bird like and rugged, to suit the nature of them - Saurus would not ride around on little dinky effeminate rip offs.

But I see we like to whinge and whine and sob over other people's model ranges, so do continue to depress the entire forum :wtf:

Dead Man Walking
27-03-2009, 13:32
I like them, espeacially when you put wire/greenstuff/constructionpaper on thier backs shaped like spines with sails and you call them Salamanders, now Salamanders I can't stand.

Tokamak
27-03-2009, 13:38
The old DE cold ones are cows!!! these look like dinos. In my book dinos >>>>> cows

And the new cold ones don't look like dino's?

Here's my issue, the word cold one speaks for itself. Cold blooded reptiles. The new cold ones look more like raptors these reptiles were warm-blooded.

Sure the new cold ones are beautiful, they're elegant and suit dark elves well.

But the old cold ones had CHARACTER. There was something beautifully ironic of the arrogant high standard elves trying to mount a sluggish dumb dino.

phoenixlaw
27-03-2009, 13:43
Because cold ones are one of the few creatures that WOULD eat a shark for breakfast. They are supposed to be based on Velociraptor and co, they were meant to look mean.

But Velociraptor is very small, weighs about 30lbs, about 2.5 ft tall

Necromancy Black
27-03-2009, 13:46
Velociraptors where the size of a dog, half covered and feathers and had really long mouths.

In the whole Dromaeosauridae family is the same, though some are much bigger. I have no idea what the guys who made Jurrasic Park were smoking.

Still, the new DE Cold Ones are more like the raptors in that they're starting to get a bit bird like about them. The current Lizardmen ones are actually more lizard looking and this makes them alot better for the army.

I would hate it if we ever got anything like the DE ones. Just a small redesign on the current models would be all that's needed.

phoenixlaw
27-03-2009, 13:49
OT, but to give people a visual idea of the size of raptors
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss243/phoenixlaw32/raptorsize.png

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
27-03-2009, 13:57
"Based on" or "supposed to look like" are not the same as "looks like." The Dark Elf ones were modeled after the Velociraptors from Jurassic Park, and people just wish the Lizardmen ones didn't look so "doo-dee, doo-dee, doo-dee, doo-pah-dee." You have to sing it outloud to yourself ot get the full affect. What I'm getting at here is what Velociraptors really looked like is irrelevant to this topic.

I'm glad that some folks really like the current Lizardmen Cold Ones. That means when I go to sell/trade mine for the new, decent sculpts in the future I'll have no troubling finding someone to take them off my hands. I think sometimes people can fall in love with models when the first get into the hobby, or models that remind them of when they first got in, and then they will like them forever no matter how dated they appear later on down the line.

Dokushin
27-03-2009, 14:01
Ah, heck, they aren't that bad. They're supposed to be relatively slow as predators go (M7), stupid (Stupidity), and extremely tough (thick skinned T4). I think the current models exhibit that well. They don't look clever, or sleek, but then, they aren't clever, or sleek. The DECO may look a little more raptor-like, but surely they'd breed them that way, as they don't have to be as stout to carry weedy elves *grin*

Just crash them into someone's flank a few times and they'll look like the most threatening thing in the world :D

C-Coen
27-03-2009, 14:26
It's not like they're that bad, IMO, it's just that the DE Coldies are so awesome.
Even while only looking at steeds, there are better contenders for 'worst WHFB mini'.. like the horses used by Dark Riders. 'orrible.

O&G'sRule
27-03-2009, 14:28
Theyre not terrible, theyre just a little friendly looking, the DE ones are lovely, but they are just jurassic park raptors, I don't know how the developer had the nerve to say he designed them, at least these are unique (if slightly flintstones like). Gamezone ones are the nicest ones around

Master Stark
27-03-2009, 14:32
Personally, I'd love a re-make that makes them look more like predatory reptiles (think down-scaled T-rex or something) and less like a cross between that brain damaged horse from Family Guy and an Iguanadon.

Less like this:

http://www.str.ac.th/darasart3/Iguanodon1145306406%5B1%5D.jpg

And more like this:

http://weblog.raganwald.com/uploaded_images/trex.gif

lybban
27-03-2009, 15:09
So to clarify your points.

*All Lizardmen models are ugly

*GW screwed up and the army should never have been released.

*You've checked and it's a fact:wtf:

I'm sure your being sarcastic:p

Yes

Yes

Yes

Kinda, I do hate lizzies though.

lybban
27-03-2009, 15:29
I just checked them out again and fell about laughing. They look like toys for very small children. makes me think of Albi the racist dragon in flight of the concords! Really check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Qu3iP3RYA

Bac5665
27-03-2009, 15:32
They are an insult to gammers everywhere. As has been said, they look like cartoon animals, which is just not acceptable.

Its a fine design; they look more like birds which is a good thing. But they have enough cartoon features as to disgust me. I own a few of them, but I don't really plan on using them ever, and hopefully we'll get better cold ones at some point soon.

slingersam
27-03-2009, 17:13
The lizardmen cold ones are really ugly. However, I'm not too sure which I like more, the old or the new DE cold ones. Sure the new ones have much more detail, but the old ones really had some character as well.

look who's talking about ugly, your a fricken Orc (;)) JK. Also Remember
LM Cold One provides a +2 AS, is Strength 4, Toughness 4. So they
have to look beefy, and strong. Where we have the smaller, more fragile looking
D.E. Cold One which do not justify the toughness 4. I might give it strength 4
just because of the claws but that should only be on the charge.

Honestly when I look at the D.E. Cold one, I imagine a pony with scales on
it. It really should be Strength 3(4), Toughness 3

N810
27-03-2009, 17:18
The Dark Elves Cold Ones are modeled after the older 5th edition metal models that both armies shared.
(yes they look more like skinny raptors)

But the current ones look way better the the 6ed plastic Cow Ones.

Edit: there where 2 different plastic Cold Ones in 6th,
I rather like the Lustrian ones
it's the older OP ones that look like cows.

desert_rat21
27-03-2009, 18:07
Now I could be wrong here, but has anyone mentioned they have STUPIDITY! Regardless if you like the models or not they look the part.

It could be argued that velociraptors were intelligent (not highly, but stick with me here) in their hunting and how they cooridinated their attacks with each other. Kinda like wolves. These models truly bring out the "stupidity" and thusly I like the models

stupidity on a mount does not necessarily have to mean a stupid animal, the new DE coldones look like raptors and i imagine in the WH world they would operate together like raptors and be smart, but when someone tries to tame a creature like that, it is just as likely to bite your head off as it is to do your bidding, especially if you have make a mistake (hence the stupidity to represent an ornery and dangerous beast) thus perhaps the stupidity check in this case is to represent the rider carelessly allowing a peice of themselves to dangle a wee bit too close to its mouth, causing the pack to go into a semi-feeding frenzy.

Tyranno1
27-03-2009, 18:25
look who's talking about ugly, your a fricken Orc (;)) JK. Also Remember
LM Cold One provides a +2 AS, is Strength 4, Toughness 4. So they
have to look beefy, and strong. Where we have the smaller, more fragile looking
D.E. Cold One which do not justify the toughness 4. I might give it strength 4
just because of the claws but that should only be on the charge.

Honestly when I look at the D.E. Cold one, I imagine a pony with scales on
it. It really should be Strength 3(4), Toughness 3

You wont stop having a go at those raptors will you?

Their T4 because the skin from an animal that size (see crocodiles) is tough as hell. Being T4 is not a reason to make a model so bulky it dosent look capable of standing up on its own legs, look at some of the other T4 models like Gors and Saurus warriors, they are streamlined. T4 can cover alot of different body builds.

And S4, have you SEEN the jaws on those things? Thats justification for S4 even without the sickle claws.

I can understand how you want a model to justify its stats, but I dont see how your defending a model so badley sculpted, if it was redone and fixed to look less, well dumb. Yes it suffers from stupidity, but stupidity can mean it gets distracted easily, like with the smell of prey.

Ancre
27-03-2009, 19:02
I don't like much the new ones, I liked the previous cow ones better ; they looked big and stupid and aggressive enough to bite things in front of them just because they were in front.

That said the cows weren't looking good for the dark elves, and the raptors they now have might not be looking good under the lizards. But I don't know ... lizardmen look slim too, now.

zak
27-03-2009, 19:11
They're not battle cows....so they can't be that bad. The current LM ones are fine. They aren't as good as the DE one's, but there aren't many models out there that are!

Bac5665
27-03-2009, 19:23
I don't get the cow hatred. The only problem I had with the old "cow" ones was that there was only one pose. But we still basically have that problem with the new ones, and the new ones are much sillier looking.

Sarevok
27-03-2009, 20:41
Some of the worst models in the whole Warhammer range.
They remind me of dogs.

Cow Ones > Dog Ones.

Hvidponi
27-03-2009, 23:00
I personally think that the Lizardmen Cold Ones are some of the best on the market... I don't like the new dark elf one, they are small and have horrible static pose... The Lizardmen have messed up claws and too large butts, but generally I like them more than most other cold one model. The the dark elf metal cold ones (2 new characters) are almost decent, and Freebooter has made 2, where one of them is almost accetable...

Why is it so hard to make a god damn raptor?

mweaver
27-03-2009, 23:16
While I like the DE ones better, I like the LM ones too.

slingersam
28-03-2009, 00:28
I can dis the D.E. Coldones as much as I want, I've stated my opinion.
Anyway the D.E. cold one would not be able to hold up the weight
of a saurus warrior, they would collapse from exhaustion.

Master Stark
28-03-2009, 03:25
I personally think that the Lizardmen Cold Ones are some of the best on the market... I don't like the new dark elf one

the D.E. cold one would not be able to hold up the weight of a saurus warrior, they would collapse from exhaustion.

Oh come on!

Just look at this beasty!

It looks like a bad-ass, savage, powerful predatory monster

Master Stark
28-03-2009, 03:30
Whereas this one looks more like something youd find grazing on your lawn, rather than eating your neighbours.

It's chest is too narrow, it's neck doesn't follow the line of it's spine, it's head doesn't look predatory, it's arms are hanging straight down rather than posed, it's claws look ridiculous, it's chest is too narrow, it's tail is too short and stubby, and it doesn't have enough detail! How can anyone prefer it to the DE one!

N810
28-03-2009, 06:15
also we had these....

Master Stark
28-03-2009, 06:46
Even the old plastic Cold Ones are better than the current ones!

Tyranno1
28-03-2009, 09:51
I can dis the D.E. Coldones as much as I want, I've stated my opinion.
Anyway the D.E. cold one would not be able to hold up the weight
of a saurus warrior, they would collapse from exhaustion.

Hmmm are you looking at the same model? As the D.E one may be slimmer than the lizardmen one but it is not weak looking by any stretch of the imagination. Look at the muscles on those things, its legs look pretty big to me (and dont bulge out sidways rediculously like a sphere).

Also saurus warriors really are not that big, your making them sound like a chaos warrior, who needs a daemonicly powered horse. The waist of the lizardmen is about the same as an elf, and there are very few parts of thier body which are really big.

it's arms are hanging straight down rather than posed,

Its worse than that, I think one of its arms is actually bending backwards like a leg joint 0.o.

slingersam
28-03-2009, 10:26
That close up is pretty sweet, I was going off the GW
website , I think the knight on top of it makes it look
disportionate, but the picture of the cold one by itself
is pretty nice. I still think that the lizardmen coldone
looks better, but the D.E. doesn't look bad, sorry for
over exaggerating