PDA

View Full Version : Death (Deff) Skulls?

Sttucker13
27-03-2009, 04:46
So I got my girlfriend to go with me to a GW store the other day, and surprisingly she not only had a good time but she decided that the Orks from the AoBR box I picked up would be fun for her to paint. A few minutes ago we were discussing paint schemes when she said she wanted to paint them blue and silver. Now, being a typical fluff geek, I almost cried that my Orks were going to end up blue instead of Orky green. Then I recalled that the Death Skulls wear blue face paint into battle. It seems like a fun (and fluffy) compromise and she got a real kick out of the idea too. I can't find any good close ups of Death Skulls on teh internetz though. Anyone know where I can find some good, high resolution images of war-paint wearin Orky goodness that I can use to give her some inspiration?

Sttucker13
27-03-2009, 04:49
Actually I managed to find some on (go figure) GW's site. Cool deal.

I like the idea of having a klepto-krazy Ork army, and I'll have to get ahold of some IG/SM vehicles for use as Looted choices. I was never really a fan of playing against Orks, but collecting them sure has become a great time. I guess I'm just big on the "Anything goes, cause were Orks" mindset.

LordofWar1986
27-03-2009, 04:54
If you end up going with just having them with completely blue skin, just say they all decided to jump naked into a pool full of blue dye before the battle started. For good orky luck :p

Sttucker13
27-03-2009, 04:56
If you end up going with just having them with completely blue skin, just say they all decided to jump naked into a pool full of blue dye before the battle started. For good orky luck :p

Hahaha, I don't know that I could do with Orks being COMPLETELY blue. Although now it appears that I've got an Ultramarine army and a blue-themed Death Skull ork army. That's going to be like 8000 points of blue on the board at once. I'm not sure any mind can tolerate that much blue and retain its sanity.

Imperius
27-03-2009, 05:00
Tell your *alleged* (teehee, jsut kidding) girlfriend, to do blue striped war-paint and then blue designs onto the faces. Usually the designs keep the girls content. But if you don't want to have too much blue on the board, make sure the armour is different.

Brucopeloso
27-03-2009, 08:46
A few blue orks are a small price to pay for a girlfriend supporting your hobby : )))

misterboff
27-03-2009, 08:57
I'm painting Deathskulls for the Tale of 40k Painters.

If you check out the Ork link in my sig there's quite a few pictures of my Deathskulls. Sheena Easton is also painting Deathskulls for the Tale, and I think that sigur has some Lootas too.

My regular Boyz have blue faces, the Mekboyz have blue faces and arms (they need all the luck they can get when shooting a Kustom Mega Blasta!), the Nobz have half blue/half white like in Braveheart, and the Grotz only get to dip their hands in the warpaint when all of the Orks have had their turn!

Try search in the MP&T forums too, but use different spellings because everyone spells it differently!

Deathskull
Death skull
Deffskull
Deff skull

misterboff

Mega Nutz
27-03-2009, 09:18
A few blue orks are a small price to pay for a girlfriend supporting your hobby : )))

NEVER a truer word spoken!!

Seth the Dark
27-03-2009, 13:07
Also make some of the equipment look as if it was "borrowed".

The Clairvoyant
27-03-2009, 13:19
My own deathskull lootas just have blue faces and the rest of the skin is green. On a couple of them i've painted blue tattoos (nothing fancy, just a few blue triangles and a blue skull on one orks hand)

All-blue skin might look a bit weird, but hey, its your hobby :)

And well done on getting your girlfriend interested in the hobby! My wife likes and plays warhammer quest but thats as far as i've managed to lure her. We used to do WFRP but she got bored of that after a few weeks

Sttucker13
27-03-2009, 18:11

Hahahahaha. No doubt. She's pretty cool about at least humoring my hobbies (she even let me throw her out of an airplane once!). Unfortunately I think I may have dug myself in TOO deep as she now wants me to buy HER an Eldar army. If she takes Eldar, and I'm never able to beat her at my own hobby, It may ruin me. ;)

I'll snap some pictures of her painting her Orkies this weekend, so that the lot of you can partake in witnessing this truly rare event.

Sttucker13
27-03-2009, 18:13
Try search in the MP&T forums too, but use different spellings because everyone spells it differently!

Deathskull
Death skull
Deffskull
Deff skull

Really diggin those thumbnails! And yeah, this was part of the reason I couldn't find any on google. Damn Orks cant spell.

Clang
28-03-2009, 00:26
Fluffwise, orks can occasionally have odd skin colours due to mutations or local environmental side effects, and this could be inherited by future generations. (Even though orks 'breed' via fungus-like spores, they must still have some sort of gene inherirtance.) Any such blue orks would be considered especially lucky by superstitious Deff Skulls and this could easily inspire them to start a Waagh of their own.

For me, the biggest reason to do Deff Skulls is that it lets you pick almost any vehicle/equipment in the 40K universe and loot/repair/'improve' it for Deff Skull use - they're just so much fun to model

TrojanWolf
28-03-2009, 07:19
I'll have to get ahold of some IG/SM vehicles for use as Looted choices.

Just IG/SM vehicles? I 'ave a looted 'Amma'ead! Yoo ain't a propa Deffskull if ya don't loot anyfing an' evvryfing!

ChrisMurray
28-03-2009, 11:53
It says in the ork codex that the DeffSkulls sometimes cover their entire bodies in blue paint, so if she wants to make them blue, it'll still be fluffy.

I think blue orks (if done right) could look cool, would need to be a very light blue in my opinion if it was there skin colour. But for them being covered in paint any blue you want-it's all lucky :)