PDA

View Full Version : Wound allocation and cursed models

Pooky
27-03-2009, 05:46
Does anyone else seem to suffer from a particular model that always fails their allocated wound armor save? Or is it just me? :confused:

Here's the story... I play SM against my freinds Orks/ CSM and at some point in most games I end up having to take a heap of saves on my Tactical squad. I do the usual thing of allocating multiple wounds on regular marines and as little on my heavy weapon, special weaon and sergeant with powerfist. It seems no matter how hard I try my sergeant will always fail his allocated wound roll :cries: I've tried all sorts of crazy ideas to try to not have him fail his roll: not rolling his save first (so the dice have a chance to warm up and roll well), not rolling his save last (so my dice haven't exhausted their luck), looking away when rolling (so as to not jinx the roll), blowing on the dice before I roll (what ever that's meant to do), giving a quick prayer to the Emperor and the dice gods so I pass the roll :D and all other stupid things... No matter what, he always seems to die :(

Edonil
27-03-2009, 05:59
My flamer in my Celestian squad is like that. She just dies all the time.

Vaktathi
27-03-2009, 06:20
The if I have a champion with a fist in a squad, they will die one initiative step before they get to attack.

Every time.

Oh, icons and guardsmen plasma guns too.

Deus
27-03-2009, 06:24
My dice roll better as the game goes on, I always start out terrible then the dice get better. I think I need to have like a 500pt pre-game game so the dice can get into the right mindset.

My friend and I, I play Marines, hes Necrons, we have a rule; No matter what you are firing at or who is firing, str 8 and 9 weapons will only hit on a 6. (Note, not actual rule, just an empirical one)

Warforger
27-03-2009, 06:33
None that stood out, but my Dire Avenger Exarch hasn't killed anything but two marines in 3 games in assault.

Of course I could always rant about my Jetbikes which always pass there saves :P

Decius
27-03-2009, 06:57
Terminator sergeants die so frequently than I'm starting to think that becoming a terminator sergeant is not actually a promotion...

aquilius
27-03-2009, 07:06
Why don't you just give the guy that always dies more wounds to save? That way he saves a guy as he dies. And knowing the dice gods he will probably be able to make multiple saves no problem.

(I once had a single bloodletter who needed to make some 17 odd saves, so I figuring that he would fail on two saves rolled for the saves 2 at a time. He managed to save the first 10 or so before dying. Wasting luck like that sucks)

Lord Cook
27-03-2009, 07:14
Not wound allocation as such, but I can move most of my vehicles about in difficult terrain and they won't get immobilized, but the moment the #2 Demolisher from Jaguar Squadron so much as hits a pebble, the track links seize up and it spends the entire game rooted to the spot while enemy squads dance around just out of range of the stationary demolisher cannon. I refuse to buy a rough terrain modification for just one vehicle damn it!

The Highwayman
27-03-2009, 07:46
Out of my two space wolf grey hunter squads, I have two models (one from each), who are armed with plasma pistols and a powerfist. The only problem is they have yet to kill anything. :mad: They either overheat and always fail their save, or just get killed by the enemy, no matter who they are facing, and they cost loads of points too!

Vaktathi
27-03-2009, 08:08
Not wound allocation as such, but I can move most of my vehicles about in difficult terrain and they won't get immobilized, but the moment the #2 Demolisher from Jaguar Squadron so much as hits a pebble, the track links seize up and it spends the entire game rooted to the spot while enemy squads dance around just out of range of the stationary demolisher cannon. I refuse to buy a rough terrain modification for just one vehicle damn it!

It'd fail the reroll anyway. My Hellhound does it with clockwork regularity.

Radium
27-03-2009, 08:32
Dark Reaper Exarch, The guy just dies as soon as someone declares they'll shoot my reapers. He hasn't survived a single allocated wound in 5th ed.

Bunnahabhain
27-03-2009, 10:55

Don't worry, soon it will be the very expensive command tank of the squadron that always dies to even a glancing hit, despite the fact it was just one krak missile on the front, and you were in cover, and and and....

Pooky
27-03-2009, 12:19
Since other people have mentioned it, my vehicles will always fail a dangerous terrain test at the most critical time. No other time will they crash...

0ld1eye
27-03-2009, 15:42
The barbed strangler in my warrior squad is always the first to die...

other than that, there isn't actually that much in my army which can be allocated wounds. One of my zoanthropes fails EVERY 2+ save it's called on to make, but then makes every 6++ it needs to make.

Boss Kopstud
27-03-2009, 16:42
My Rune Priest always bites it when it comes to wound allocation. The Wolf Scouts he's hanging out with always seem to do just fine.... Glad I give him a Runic Charm to ignore the first failed save, but that only seems to delay the inevitable by one round.... Or by one more unit's shooting...

SPYDER68
27-03-2009, 16:45
My roomate keeps moving his jump packs into difficult terrain saying i cant lose that many.. then loses 3-4 out of 10.

FraustyTheSnowman
27-03-2009, 17:14
I've had some trouble with my two meltagun girls in my hq retinue (sisters of battle). The cannones, veteran sister supperior, and two basic grunt celestians don't have much trouble making their saves, but I always loose at least one of the meltagirls...

When third came out, and chaos got the new plastic set with the mutation sprews, I used the blindfolded head on my heavy bolter guy. I think it was something like five or six games before I got a single hit with him. Was so bad I just stopped using him. I still like the model, cuz I tilted his head up and two the side away from where the gun points, so he really does look blind, but between his batting average, the fact I don't like heavy bolters anymore, and the fact that my chaos army has gone to a no heavy weapons type, he just sets there and collects dust anymore.

Templar Ben
27-03-2009, 18:19
You should track it for a couple of weeks. Record the number of saves made and failed by the rest of the squad and then those by him. It will then be possible to see if it just seems likely or if it does have more failed saves.

Fixer
27-03-2009, 18:33
Once played a game against Imperial fists where wound allocation always killed the sergeants in his tactical squads but always left the two special weapons alive.

Figured out the reason why though. They were the only ones not wearing helmets.

sabreu
27-03-2009, 18:35
Pst...it's probably because he's not wearing his helmet...

Hakkapelli
27-03-2009, 18:50
When 5th ed came out my local gaming club organised a doubles tournament. In one of the battles I (Wolves) and a friend (Marines) fought two guard armies. During one turn the guard fired at one of my friends 6 man tactical squad with 2-wound captain (old codex) and managed to cause enough wounds on the squad to make every model take two saves. The saves were rather good however with only 3 failed. 1 on a regular marine and 2! on the captain.

We won the battle anyways thanks to a rhino that tank-shocked half a dozen units of the table and a unit of grey hunters that understood that you were supposed to keep enemy units alive in CC until their close combat phase.

Captain Micha
27-03-2009, 18:56
My stealth suits have yet to pass a single armor save.

Edonil
27-03-2009, 21:18
So, as I said, the flamer will die every time...got a game in today, the transport blew up, flamer is allocated a wound, and promptly rolls a 2. She was the only one to die when it blew up.

Deus Mechanicus
27-03-2009, 21:53
The last game i played my Chaos Rhino got immobilsed while moving through difficult terrain. The next round it repaired itself and tried to get out the terrain again and got immobilized. The round after that it repaired itself yet again and drove away

Count de Monet
27-03-2009, 21:58

Just pack it with an engineseer for a while so he has a chance to soothe the tank's spirit. ;)

Fire Harte
27-03-2009, 23:09
Terminator sergeants die so frequently than I'm starting to think that becoming a terminator sergeant is not actually a promotion...

Of course it's a demotion! That's why he has a powersword!:skull:

But yes, I have suffered but not to a consistent extent.

Atr_127
27-03-2009, 23:10
my Raiders never, ever, ever seem to pass their cover saves...

oh and as far as amusing stories about saves go, i once effectively lost a game on turn one with Marines because i failed 25 3+ saves in a row. the odds of that are somewhere in the millions i believe.

Vaktathi
27-03-2009, 23:20
my Raiders never, ever, ever seem to pass their cover saves...

oh and as far as amusing stories about saves go, i once effectively lost a game on turn one with Marines because i failed 25 3+ saves in a row. the odds of that are somewhere in the millions i believe.

1 in 847,288,609,443

The universe hates your Marines.

Atr_127
27-03-2009, 23:22
woah... thats... far, far worse than i could have imagined. at least i can take comfort from the fact that it will never happen to me again :D

Heretic12
27-03-2009, 23:49
So far I haven't noticed any specific "All Bullets Line-Up Here" sign, however my Vindicator will almost always fail his Difficult Terrain Rolls (Both of em -_-) however on the reverse a P.Fist Combi-Melta Terminator from my Sorcerers squad has survived a total of 30 or so allocated wounds during a game. 13 of which were in a single round against a DE Wych squad, which he preceded to break on his own by fisting two of em to death. And actually during most games in which I use him he is always the last one alive generally long after my Sorcerer has already been killed off.