PDA

View Full Version : Making a 40k rules quiz.

iaguz
27-03-2009, 08:16
Long story short, after getting inundated with nubs, a club I frequent has decided to make sure that all these new players actually know their rules (what an insane notion!). One of the ideas was to form a quiz for each rules system with the idea that the new players would hopefully be able to pass it and be deemed acceptable players.

Although I'm not writing these quiz's, a nasty section of my mind turned on. What if you made the whole quiz a bunch of trick questions?

So I implore you, the skilled Warseer collective, to engineer a truly devious set of questions the likes of which even Tzeentch himself would suffer a brain fart.

Here's one for starters.

A Dark Eldar Archon (Int 7) is in combat with a Eldar Howling Banshee (Int 5). Who strikes first in combat?

Answer: The Banshee, she has a War Mask.

Also accepting joke questions such as

Q: 10 str 4 AP 5 boltgun rounds have just hit a unit of T 3 - Armour save Witchhunter Sisters Repentia. What are the armour save and to wound requirements?

A: None. Who the hell takes Sister Repentia anyway?

Go forth!

riotknight
27-03-2009, 08:55
Both your questions would require knowledge of armies not guaranteed to be played by the person taking the quiz.

For something like this, yes, examples are great, but they would have to be more general, like.

"A guardsmen is in close combat with Blood Thirster. The Guardsmen is WS3 and the Bloodthirster is WS10, what does the guardsmen need to hit on a d6?"

Bunnahabhain
27-03-2009, 10:38
Most of the truly devious things require a knowledge of specific armies, so are a problem. For a decent selection, just trawl the rules forum.

One obvious one is: What is most likey way for Ogryns to win a combat against terminators?
Answer. Dread-sock.

Given the demise of metal drednaughts, we have to educate new players about this joke somewhow...

Prime86
27-03-2009, 11:36
Also put in some easier questions like " What does the abbreviation "BS" mean? " easy one like these makes people feel they are learning and motivating them to learn more :)

Teccala
27-03-2009, 12:05
After a 5" bolter salvo on a Banshee squad in cover, a 5 man tactical marine squad + Librarian attached character decides to charge the banshees. Considering the Librarian used Quickening at the beginning of his assault phase and gains I 10, who is going to strike first ?

A : Illegal charge.

Then to go deeper in the assaut / cover / weapon / special rules : If the marine squad didn't fire, who would strike first ? And second ? And during the next turn of CC ? And so on...

The goal is not to trick them with special equipment rules, just tell them the effect of banshee masks. I use to tell a situation, then variations to cover (lol) some of the rules.

Too complex ? Obvious ?

Edit : btw a quizz is a good idea, can be fun and usefull and with minis to show everything, well that could be nice from a veteran to help other younger players.

iaguz
27-03-2009, 12:22
Ok, perhaps I have not clarified my point correctly.

I'm not actually making this quiz, and nothing in here is probably going to be on it.

This is a discussion designed to create hypothetical questions which are evil bastard questions, mainly trick questions. Be as army specific as you want.

Spyral
27-03-2009, 12:37
A chaos terminator with I5 and a powerfist has charged a unit of marine scouts. The scouts have gone to ground from being shot at by the terminatorts combi bolter. The marine scouts are I4. Who strikes first and why?

Answer = trick question ,by firing a rapid fire weapon the terminator cannot assault. However if he could, the scouts would still go first as although they are in cover it doesn't count in assault for having gone to ground BUT powerfists are Initiave 1 regardless.

Autobot HQ
27-03-2009, 12:43
Spyral: The Terminator is Relentless, and so can charge whoever the hell he wants after shooting them in the face.

Bunnahabhain
27-03-2009, 12:44
Aren't terminators relentless? so they ignore the resticton on charging after Rapid fire etc...

On topic, we have a whole forum full of these evil questions, it's the rules forum.

sydbridges
27-03-2009, 12:51
I'm amused that "ask devious questions other people would have difficulty answering" has turned into "ask devious questions and other people will tell you why your answer is not entirely correct."

djinn8
27-03-2009, 12:52
I think if you put questions like this into a noob rules tests your going to make them feel stupid and alienate them. Surely the point of this exercise is to teach them the rules.

The questions should be more along the lines of: "A squad of 3 Obliterators fire there Plasmacannons into a unit, do they use the barrage rules to determin where their hits land or not?".

Answer: "No, barrage rules are only used for weapons with the G stat (indirect), normal blast templates are worked out individually, even when firing as a unit".

Lord Malorne
27-03-2009, 12:59
Long story short, after getting inundated with nubs, a club I frequent has decided to make sure that all these new players actually know their rules (what an insane notion!). One of the ideas was to form a quiz for each rules system with the idea that the new players would hopefully be able to pass it and be deemed acceptable players.

Although I'm not writing these quiz's, a nasty section of my mind turned on. What if you made the whole quiz a bunch of trick questions?

So I implore you, the skilled Warseer collective, to engineer a truly devious set of questions the likes of which even Tzeentch himself would suffer a brain fart.

Here's one for starters.

A Dark Eldar Archon (Int 7) is in combat with a Eldar Howling Banshee (Int 5). Who strikes first in combat?

Answer: The Banshee, she has a War Mask.

Also accepting joke questions such as

Q: 10 str 4 AP 5 boltgun rounds have just hit a unit of T 3 - Armour save Witchhunter Sisters Repentia. What are the armour save and to wound requirements?

A: None. Who the hell takes Sister Repentia anyway?

Go forth!

What if the archon has combat drugs and take the ASF one? :D

juggalo4life84
27-03-2009, 13:12
here's some general good questions that most people should know (just ones i commonly see people ask):

Q. what phase of the game are smoke launchers used?
A. movement

Q. how many dice does a bike mounted model roll to travel through dificult terrain?
A. none, it only rolls for dangerous terrain in both the movement and assault phase.

Q. does the D6 consolidation move done at the end of the assault phase triger a dangerous or difficult terrain test?
A. no

Q. how can you charge two units with that one squad?
A. i meet the qualifications for multiple unit assault. first i must move in the closes of my models to the closes enemy model by the shortest possible route. then i must move in as many unengaged models into base to base as possible, then i must move in the rest of the models as i see fit. if my positioning is done with some care i have models left over that are free to engage another squad because all of the other qualifications have been met.

Q. what do you mean i cant assault with that squad?
A. the closest model can not fit through the gap between friendly/enemy models to reach the intended target.

Q. can a vehicle get a cover save from infantry?
A. yes but only if they cover 50% of the vehicle (basicaly there has to be a butt load of them or some hefty sized models)

Q. when does an independent character join/ leave a unit?
A. during the movement phase.

Q. how does shooting work for a unit that can pick multiple targets?
A. all targets have to be identified before any dice are rolled.

Q. when are LD tests taken for taking 25% casualties?
A. at the end of the entire shooting phase.

Q. when are pinning tests taken?
A. imediately, a unit might be forced to take multiple pinning tests in a shooting phase.

Q. when does your oponent get to do the charge reactions?
A. after you have completed ALL of your assault moves across the table, not as a responce after you make every charge.

Q. can a tactical marine with a missile launcher fire and then charge in the same turn?
A. yes he is still armed with a bolt pistol. (had to explain this one to a vet gamer the other day)

Q. do i have to declare what's not on the table at the start of the game?
A. you have to declare if you are puting any units into outflank or reserve. but not deepstrike. as deepstrike is a different method of arriving from reserve.

well, i'm on my way to work. if i can think of any more i will put them up. the key here is to test the basic game knowledge of the young gamers, as long as they have the basics down. the army specific rules will come naturaly.

The Highwayman
27-03-2009, 15:03
I think if you put questions like this into a noob rules tests your going to make them feel stupid and alienate them. Surely the point of this exercise is to teach them the rules.

The questions should be more along the lines of: "A squad of 3 Obliterators fire there Plasmacannons into a unit, do they use the barrage rules to determin where their hits land or not?".

Answer: "No, barrage rules are only used for weapons with the G stat (indirect), normal blast templates are worked out individually, even when firing as a unit".

He is not asking for questions to go in the test, he just wants people to give either really hard or trick questions for fun.