PDA

View Full Version : Remains in Play Spells

Bedsheets
27-03-2009, 15:07
Just reading over the rule book on pg 110. So if the spell is classified as "remains in play" that caster cannot cast any other spells or that spell is instantly dispelled?

Lord Yawgmoth
27-03-2009, 15:11
You are correct. Casts another spell, dies, flees, or chooses to end it.

Also your opponent can choose to dispel it at the end of Any magic phase (including their own using remaining power dice), Beside the one it was cast in.

Bedsheets
27-03-2009, 15:15
Hrm don't have my rule book infront of me but is the High Elf, Flames of the Phoenix a "remains in play" spell. Just have had a couple of games and have casted other magic after casting this spell.

Lord Zarkov
27-03-2009, 15:18
The HE army book is quite clear as to whether Flames of the Pheonix is an RIP spell.

Also note it's "Attempts to cast another spell", even if the other spell fails the RIP spell ends

Lord Yawgmoth
27-03-2009, 15:21
Also note it's "Attempts to cast another spell", even if the other spell fails the RIP spell ends

haha, true, you can ammend my previous post with that. :)

Bedsheets
27-03-2009, 15:24
Ok. Thanks for the help.

narrativium
27-03-2009, 16:57
The HE army book is quite clear as to whether Flames of the Pheonix is an RIP spell.

Could someone confirm that this effect applies to Gut Magic spells?

i.e. a Butcher casts a spell (Trollguts) on a unit. Gut Magic says they can continue casting spells, even cast the same spell on other units in subsequent magic phases, and the spell will remain in effect. Suppose the Butcher casts Toothcracker on the Trollguts unit. Does the attempt dispel Trollguts, or would Trollguts remain in play if Toothcracker failed to be cast?

(I know they're Spells which Last One or More Turns which share similarities with RIP spells, but this particular detail is unclear to me.)

Lord Zarkov
27-03-2009, 17:14
Gut Magic says they can continue casting spells, even cast the same spell on other units in subsequent magic phases, and the spell will remain in effect.

If that's the wording in the OK book then the spell will remain in effect as stated. The Army Book always trumps the BRB.

EvC
27-03-2009, 17:59
It's not a question of trumping, it's that the Ogre Butchers have an explicit allowance to keep casting spells after they have cast one "remains in play" style spell. And in fact, this highlights an instance of the BRB outright trumping the army book, as the BRB says that these spells can be dispelled in either player's phase, whereas the Ogre book says they can only be dispelled in one of the player's magic phases (can't remember which)- and is clarified in the FAQ that the main rulebook is correct... so the main rulebook does indeed trump the armybook, when GW feels like it ;)

Spirit
27-03-2009, 20:58
You are correct. Casts another spell, dies, flees, or chooses to end it.

Also your opponent can choose to dispel it at the end of Any magic phase (including their own using remaining power dice), Beside the one it was cast in.

Your almost right. But fleeing doesnt end it.

As retarded as this is, the wording is "Casts another spell, leaves the table, dies or chooses to end it."

Lost all the crew on my stegadon, making it stay completely still for the rest of the game, because the stupid nurgle wizard fled my charge, nothing i could do (only had 2 dice left in my magic phase, my EOTG priest blew himself up...)

Lord Yawgmoth
30-03-2009, 16:11
Your almost right. But fleeing doesnt end it.

Wow, thanks.

omricon
09-04-2009, 09:44
What about Warrior Priests and their 'bound' prayers. Do they (or an Arch lector) have to stop casting to maintain a RIP spell?

Atrahasis
09-04-2009, 09:47
Yes .

Dvil
09-04-2009, 09:49
I always played it that they need to stop casting, yeah. The principle behind my thinking is that if you need to stop casting spells to maintain a RIP spell, and bound spells are really just auto-cast spells.

Actually, that's not entirely true. My main reason for playing it that way is that we don't always have a lot of time for games, so anyhting that causes a lengthy discussion is bad!:mad:

Ikhoornix
09-04-2009, 10:42
In the 6th edition any RIP spells a wizard had in play wouldd be dispelled if the wizard used a dispell scroll.
I don't know whether this is still the case though.

Tae
09-04-2009, 11:02
In the 6th edition any RIP spells a wizard had in play wouldd be dispelled if the wizard used a dispell scroll.
I don't know whether this is still the case though.

This is no longer the case.